The MMA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    I would like to see a gathje Ferguson or Lee fight. Then let the winner get smashed by khabib, after khabib smashes connor, and then porrier.

I think khabib will not take much damage in the Conor mauling, so he should be set to fight porrier, if porrier beats nate, which I think he will do.

Gaethje can fight Tony or Lee while that fights is going, and then take a smashing from khabib after porrier.
    I agree. I think the right move, though, would be Gaethje vs. Tony, and give Lee the winner of Porrier/Diaz.

After that, winner of Gaethje/Tony vs. winner of Lee/Porrier-Diaz.

THEN, winner of the above bout vs. winner of McGregor/Nurmagomedov for the lightweight title.

Timeline wise, I don't know how that'd work considering LW champ would have to wait quite a bit, unless they book any one of the bouts earlier.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• I think Al Iaquinta somehow sneaks in for a surprise bout with one of the above names.

I'd love to see Iaquinta and Gaethje. Slug fest for us all.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
        I agree. I think the right move, though, would be Gaethje vs. Tony, and give Lee the winner of Porrier/Diaz.

After that, winner of Gaethje/Tony vs. winner of Lee/Porrier-Diaz.

THEN, winner of the above bout vs. winner of McGregor/Nurmagomedov for the lightweight title.

Timeline wise, I don't know how that'd work considering LW champ would have to wait quite a bit, unless they book any one of the bouts earlier.
        The timing aspect of mma is messed up. Everything depends on damage taken. Then everyone's body heals differently.

For me porrier really deserves a shot at the title. I don't think he has fought for a title in either of the divisions he has been in.

Kudos to him for taking nate, despite nate not being a title contender, but a big money fight and a story if somehow connor wins.

I think Lee needs a good top ranked fight where he makes weight before he gets a shot, and Tony already beat him.

I don't think iaquinta is a good fight for gaethje. I think gaethje's style allows raging al to knock him out. It would be super fun to watch though.

Comment

The timing aspect of mma is messed up. Everything depends on damage taken. Then everyone's body heals differently.

For me porrier really deserves a shot at the title. I don't think he has fought for a title in either of the divisions he has been in.

Kudos to him for taking nate, despite nate not being a title contender, but a big money fight and a story if somehow connor wins.

I think Lee needs a good top ranked fight where he makes weight before he gets a shot, and Tony already beat him.

I don't think iaquinta is a good fight for gaethje. I think gaethje's style allows raging al to knock him out. It would be super fun to watch though.
          Great points, I am a fan of Porrier. I really do hope he does get a chance at the title, and I was happy that he got a big money fight with Nate. I assume he's going to get some more exposure, esp. if he manages to win, or puts on a fantastic/controversial fight or finish.

I love Kevin Lee, but I'm confused on what to do with him. Like Gaethje, I think they're both just... there.

Because Tony never *loss* the title, he's going to get an immediate shot from Khabib/Conor. Just my gut feeling.

Comment

• don't know if you guys saw this, but it is actually kind of terrifying.

Comment

• saturday going to be good and bad.

good to see tyron get back to actually fighting. i think he will beat till, and we will see him like he was before knocking out lawler. his title defenses against wonderboy, and maia were woodley playing as safely as he could. i think he if he plays that way against till, till knocks him out. he will be aggressive and hungry. this is going to be a good fight.

the bad will be shevchenko annihilating a "champion". i think a much better way to decide a new champion in a new weight division is an actual weight class tournament, and not the ultimate fighter. nicco is going to take a sever beating. i thought shevchenko beat nunes in their fight.

robbed of the best fight of the night with yair pulling out and zabit having to fight a no one.

andrade vs karolina is a really good fight.

riveria/dodson is a good fight.

i hate watching diego sanchez fights.

if yair had of stayed on this card it would be a really strong card. hopefully yamasaki is not the ref for the shevchenko fight, and it gets called when nicco can't actually defend herself.

Comment

saturday going to be good and bad.

good to see tyron get back to actually fighting. i think he will beat till, and we will see him like he was before knocking out lawler. his title defenses against wonderboy, and maia were woodley playing as safely as he could. i think he if he plays that way against till, till knocks him out. he will be aggressive and hungry. this is going to be a good fight.

the bad will be shevchenko annihilating a "champion". i think a much better way to decide a new champion in a new weight division is an actual weight class tournament, and not the ultimate fighter. nicco is going to take a sever beating. i thought shevchenko beat nunes in their fight.

robbed of the best fight of the night with yair pulling out and zabit having to fight a no one.

andrade vs karolina is a really good fight.

riveria/dodson is a good fight.

i hate watching diego sanchez fights.

if yair had of stayed on this card it would be a really strong card. hopefully yamasaki is not the ref for the shevchenko fight, and it gets called when nicco can't actually defend herself.
                I'm REALLLLLYYYYYY looking forward to Andrade/Karolina. That's gonna be a good one.

I think Woodley takes the win by knockout. He's a physical specimen, and while Till has a serious size advantage, Woodley is quick and packs a serious punch. I assume he'll play the distance smart, too. I wanna see him press the action.

Comment

I'm REALLLLLYYYYYY looking forward to Andrade/Karolina. That's gonna be a good one.

I think Woodley takes the win by knockout. He's a physical specimen, and while Till has a serious size advantage, Woodley is quick and packs a serious punch. I assume he'll play the distance smart, too. I wanna see him press the action.
                  Agreed. I think Woodley wins by knockout. He will figure out the range and then quickness and power for a giant punch. Very powerful man.

Comment

• Damn! Nicco Montano out, again. Title fight just got canceled.

The weight cutting system has to be changed. Make it later, and there's so many loopholes to the whole damn thing. Darren Till looked like he was about to die on that scale -- that man was a pure skeleton. He looked completely unhealthy.

But, he'll probably gain 15-20 pounds overnight, coming in with a huge size advantage on top of that.

I love the fight game, but man, the equation of weight cutting is a neverending thing.

On a side note, I think Montano needs to be stripped. She has been out of action and she really can't make it, as unfortunate the situation is.

Comment

Damn! Nicco Montano out, again. Title fight just got canceled.

The weight cutting system has to be changed. Make it later, and there's so many loopholes to the whole damn thing. Darren Till looked like he was about to die on that scale -- that man was a pure skeleton. He looked completely unhealthy.

But, he'll probably gain 15-20 pounds overnight, coming in with a huge size advantage on top of that.

I love the fight game, but man, the equation of weight cutting is a neverending thing.

On a side note, I think Montano needs to be stripped. She has been out of action and she really can't make it, as unfortunate the situation is.
                      strong line, one missed weight and you can't compete in that division anymore. like khabib, if you can't safely get to your weight, then it is too low for you.

shevchenko fighting for interim? who wants to step up for that?

Comment

strong line, one missed weight and you can't compete in that division anymore. like khabib, if you can't safely get to your weight, then it is too low for you.

shevchenko fighting for interim? who wants to step up for that?
                        The UFC can’t/won’t enforce anything like that. These guys are independent contractors, not employees. Guys are going to keep cutting massive weight as long as they see it as an advantage to be bigger on fight day.

I think the commissions need to step in here in the interest of fighter health. Unfortunately, someone will probably have to die first. I know someone already died, in a smaller promotion, I think overseas. Don’t think that made much of a dent.

I will say that White suggesting moving back to the late day weigh ins is typical of how the UFC runs under his watch. They don’t give a rats ass about the fighters; whatever comes closest to ensuring that both fighters show up on fight day and don’t mess with their audience numbers is what they’re going to do.
                        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                          The UFC can’t/won’t enforce anything like that. These guys are independent contractors, not employees. Guys are going to keep cutting massive weight as long as they see it as an advantage to be bigger on fight day.

I think the commissions need to step in here in the interest of fighter health. Unfortunately, someone will probably have to die first. I know someone already died, in a smaller promotion, I think overseas. Don’t think that made much of a dent.

I will say that White suggesting moving back to the late day weigh ins is typical of how the UFC runs under his watch. They don’t give a rats ass about the fighters; whatever comes closest to ensuring that both fighters show up on fight day and don’t mess with their audience numbers is what they’re going to do.
                          Agreed. Fixing the problem by saying that they aren't morning people is so bad aesthetically and in actuality for the fighters.

Comment

• Something's got to happen. Moving it later, as I suggested above, is honestly only a quick fix. I've done the weight cutting thing twice in my life, and it was tough, even though I only had to lose about five to seven pounds.

Just watching the weigh-ins. Woodley looks healthy. Till, on the other hand, looks like he's about to die.

Comment

Something's got to happen. Moving it later, as I suggested above, is honestly only a quick fix. I've done the weight cutting thing twice in my life, and it was tough, even though I only had to lose about five to seven pounds.

Just watching the weigh-ins. Woodley looks healthy. Till, on the other hand, looks like he's about to die.
                              And yet, Till will probably show up healthy and 20 lbs heavier than Woolley tomorrow. Whether it ends up being an advantage or not, it’s crazy that a guy at 180 can be fighting a guy at 190 for the 170 lb title.

When I wrestled (briefly), we cut about the same as you refer to, nothing like these guys.

Simple solution would be monitoring weight year round and saying you’re only eligible to compete in a weight class 10% lower than your walk around weight, something like that.
                              Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                                And yet, Till will probably show up healthy and 20 lbs heavier than Woolley tomorrow. Whether it ends up being an advantage or not, it’s crazy that a guy at 180 can be fighting a guy at 190 for the 170 lb title.

When I wrestled (briefly), we cut about the same as you refer to, nothing like these guys.

Simple solution would be monitoring weight year round and saying you’re only eligible to compete in a weight class 10% lower than your walk around weight, something like that.
                                Great points. Exactly what I was alluding to, it's honestly a loophole, and you could argue that it's... cheating.

Yeah, did some amateur kickboxing matches, one was a charity event, and it was so damn tough for me. I've never had to cut weight that like that.

I like that idea a lot. Some guys start to walk around at 250, like Cormier, and then have to cut down to 205, lol. That's honestly the worst thing ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X