The MMA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    Ya, that was a great card. Nate looked fantastic. Respect to Pettis for staying in that phone booth and just slugging it out. Even getting back on top after what looked like him getting dropped and finished.

Some of those exchanges with Paulo and Yoel were a blast to watch ... Paulo looks like a Superhero ... seeing him and Romero in there gave me some real body shame for a little bit ... Buuut then I watched DC ... Haha

Cormier was definitely winning ... I think he could get it back if they ran it back one more time.
    Diaz looked terrible. These MMA fighters should workout with pro boxers. I mean, I watching the Pacquiao/Thurman fight, those two still looked fresh in the 12th round. Diaz and Pettis on the other hand looked dead tired in the 2nd round. How the heck are they gonna hurt each other throwing sloppy punches with no power behind it?
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Diaz looked terrible. These MMA fighters should workout with pro boxers. I mean, I watching the Pacquiao/Thurman fight, those two still looked fresh in the 12th round. Diaz and Pettis on the other hand looked dead tired in the 2nd round. How the heck are they gonna hurt each other throwing sloppy punches with no power behind it?
      Boxing and MMA are worlds apart dude. You do realize that Boxing rounds are only 3 minutes, and UFC rounds are 5 minutes right? You ever boxed? Like actually? It's fucking exhausting. Now add in kicking, grappling, etc. Those extra 2 minutes make a HUGE difference.

I'd also be curious to know by which metric you are deeming Diaz as being "terrible" against. If you've ever actually watched Nate, you know he loves the down and dirty scappy fights. That was Nate at his finest.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

Boxing and MMA are worlds apart dude. You do realize that Boxing rounds are only 3 minutes, and UFC rounds are 5 minutes right? You ever boxed? Like actually? It's fucking exhausting. Now add in kicking, grappling, etc. Those extra 2 minutes make a HUGE difference.

I'd also be curious to know by which metric you are deeming Diaz as being "terrible" against. If you've ever actually watched Nate, you know he loves the down and dirty scappy fights. That was Nate at his finest.
        McGregor did not have to grapple or kick or whatever Floyd Mayweather in their fight and he was already dead tired after the 2nd round. Floyd on the other hand looked like he can fight for 30 more rounds and he was already 38 when he fought Connor.

All i'm saying is, If these guys train like boxers, they'd be in much better shape. MMA fights sometimes are tough to watch because these guys gets so exhausted very quickly.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• nate looked better than i expected. i think he had an adrenaline dump at the end of the first round, he runs triathlons for fun, he is in as good of condition as a heavy weed smoking human can be.

mma fighters have boxing coaches, and champions make millions of dollars, if training like a boxer made you better at mma it would have already happened.

hard to believe a never boxed professionally before he made 100 million dollars for one night couldn't keep up with the greatest boxer of all time. lets measure all boxers in a match between gabby jay and gsp.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

McGregor did not have to grapple or kick or whatever Floyd Mayweather in their fight and he was already dead tired after the 2nd round. Floyd on the other hand looked like he can fight for 30 more rounds and he was already 38 when he fought Connor.

All i'm saying is, If these guys train like boxers, they'd be in much better shape. MMA fights sometimes are tough to watch because these guys gets so exhausted very quickly.
            The 'effort to pause ratio' is not only different for MMA and boxing but is completely inverted. The reason McGregor was gassed is that his body is trained to fight an entirely different sport that requires a completely different type of training. Not only that but MMA guys fighting boxing matches don't have the ability to 'rest' in boxing fights - it's a very special skill that experienced boxers have and some are so good at it they can be completely out shape and still manage to spar 10 rounds.

Also, you clearly haven't watched much boxing. Yeah, top of the line pro fighters can go for 10-12 rounds but go watch undercard fights, amateur boxing or even regular decent pro main events and you'll see guys gas all the time.

Finally, comparing an MMA fighter's conditioning for a completely different sport versus the all time greatest defensive boxer in history is ridiculous.

Comment

• i really don't think i can disagree with this any more. i have 0 interest in a conor khabib fight. the biggest fight the ufc can make is khabib vs gsp. nothing comes close to this for me. i don't see how conor did anything since his humiliation to make me want to watch that fight.

Comment

• paul felder vs edson barboza is a great fight

Comment

• Really good interview with Khabib ... he's actually a really insightful guy.

Comment

• Andrade knocked out round 1 by Zhang in shenzhen China. Huge. Going to be lots of taichi fighters talking about how easy mma is. Lol

Comment

• Khabib makes weight. Saw in the stare downs that he looks as big or bigger than Dustin too. Really only immense pressure of wanting to win for his father, and fighting in Muslim land, or the Christian God entering into the knee or fist of Dustin will stop khabib from winning this fight.

Comment

• interview with abdulmanep

Comment

• Wish the fight wasn't in the Afternoon, but ah well, going to be a slobber knocker!!

Comment

• Im feeling a upset by the diamond. Think he's going to catch him with a right hand in the 2nd round.
                            To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                              Im feeling a upset by the diamond. Think he's going to catch him with a right hand in the 2nd round.
                              A part of me is almost expecting this as well ... but I don't know ... a bigger part of me still thinks that Ferguson is the one destined to stop Khabib. And that fight is going to be absolutely massive, considering how big the fan base is for El Cucuy.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                                Im feeling a upset by the diamond. Think he's going to catch him with a right hand in the 2nd round.
                                i like dustin, so if he is the one to beat khabib, in the u.a.e., in front of his father then that is amazing. dustin doesn't have one strike power, so that means a couple rounds of getting beat up before he has maybe put the damage needed to slow khabib.

i think we will know who the winner is in the 4th round. either dustin will be exhausted and defeated by then, or khabib will start to slow, and dustin will start putting it on him, as he is want to do.

super good fight, and the possibility of a fergusson porrier fight is a better fight than fergusson khabib.

Comment

Working...
                                X