The MMA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post

I don't know... Cruz looked overmatched to me. Even when he was basically looking to avoid Cejudo he got chopped with leg kicks. Every time he engaged he got the worst of it. Now, a lot of that is Cejudo being so good but Cruz looked like an aged fighter.

The UFC heavyweight division is terrible.
    The Ngannou fight was a joke. Outside of Miocic-Cormier, there is nothing of interest in that weight class. Maybe a Ngannou-Miocic rematch but nothing has happened since the first fight that makes me think anything will be different. Maybe Overeem can impress this week but he's a 40-year old fighter with 18 losses.

Gaethje looked great. I was surprised he won so handily beating Ferguson from pillar to post but Tony didn't look all that good against Pettis and the Cerrone fight maybe wasn't a great lead in fight for him, so maybe we should have seen it coming. That counter right Gaethje was throwing just destroyed Ferguson - he had no answer for it.

It will be really interesting to see how Gaethje handles Khabib's takedowns.
    agree with heavy weight. i wish blades beat nganou last time. stipe is smartly just going to shoot, exhaust, and pound nganou for 25 minutes again.

gaethjie will handle it by laying trapped on his back, and getting the shit kicked out of him for 25 minutes. ali abdelaziz is getting paid on both of those fighters checks. haha

Comment

• pretty decent free card tonight. not spectacular. borg made weight, but actually i think he moved up to 135.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiq4b5LYVKg

i like the vanilla gorilla chase sherman, and he opens the prelims. that's going to be two large men punching hard to start the card. every main card fight has appeal. always liked arvlovski, ricky simon vs ray borg might be fight of the night, alexander the great back and hopefully back to winning, i think osp is too athletic for big ben, and osp isn't very athletic, and main event is a decent top contenders 205 fight that won't make a difference on who fights jones next.

i'm not so comfortable calling anything here. maybe osp von flue choke again.

sherman
      hernandez
      osp
      lionheart
      7.6 to 1.

Comment

• So much for the great post bug winning streak that brings a lowly gambler to the highest levels of human wealth.

Uncle chael is really angry with smith's corner for allowing him to get the shit kicked out of him.
        Last edited by Miekenstien; Thu May 14, 2020, 07:50 AM.

Comment

• tonight is crazy. if you are overeem why fight? all the everything is about the murdered dead girl, and fighting for her. winning this fight is a dick move.

Comment

• Took Song, Barboza, Harris.
            Theres no way Harris doesn't win. I guess if your reem someone has to be the first fight back for Walt. I know some of the heavyweights already came out and said they wern't going to fight walt
            To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/5/1...-for-las-vegas

may 23 moved to may 30, still not a full card, and no location. only woodley burns is scheduled. i don't know if this one will happen. dana wants vegas, woodley wants the thermostat set to exactly 22.73 degrees, a private tv, full buffet, one rare and specific asian ginger drink, and a recording studio filled with people telling him his music is good.

i like woodley burns, and think burns is going to box the shit out of him, and woodley will load his right hand. prechamp woodley was a beast, and post champ still seems to think it is king of the hill out there.

Comment

• full card got released, and i mistook gilbert burns for geoff neal. i think woodley has a better chance against real gilbert burns, than he has with geoff neal. pretty meh card. alpha ginger spike carlye, seems like dolf lundgren from johnny mnemonic, when all of man kind's problems were solved with a gigabyte drive embedded in old john's head. can mackenzie make weight?

Comment

• https://heavy.com/sports/2020/05/cha...ant-jon-jones/

hahahahha. uncle chael and jon jones on twitter. not so much jon jones as it is chael.

Comment

• I don't know if McGregor really believes this or he's just talking but I don't think he's even top 10 to be honest. GSP in my opinion is the GOAT and I'm not just saying that because he's Canadian. He's the greatest I've ever seen. Jon Jones second, Silva third. McGregor isn't even close to these guys. The gap between GSP and Conor is massive.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                      I don't know if McGregor really believes this or he's just talking but I don't think he's even top 10 to be honest. GSP in my opinion is the GOAT and I'm not just saying that because he's Canadian. He's the greatest I've ever seen. Jon Jones second, Silva third. McGregor isn't even close to these guys. The gap between GSP and Conor is massive.

i agree that gsp is the goat. jones is a juicer, can't be goat. could have been.

i think it goes
                      gsp
                      khabib (i want them to fight and settle it)
                      maybe couture/silva
                      it gets super hard. i loved tim silva, maurice smith, young frank mir, mighty mouse, jose aldo(probably a juicer), andrei arvlovski,

honorable mention because it wasn't fair
                      royce gracie(watch ufc 1 victory speech. he fought 3 or 4 guys, and his win speech was "i love when i fight and never get punched in the face", the broadcaster then, also knew his shit. most people ignorant of what is happening(me too, most hadn't seen bjj), and can't remember name is "oh oh, this is bad, this is very dangerous")

connor is entertaining, no where near goat in mma. he could argue he is one of the best boxers in mma, i like petr yan, and geoff neal right now as boxers in ufc.

Comment

• Connor isnt even a top 5 active and would maybe be at the back end of top 10 active fighters right now. Khabib, Jones, Nunes, Usman, Izzy, Miocic, Cejudo are all better fighter then conor.
                        Conor may be the GOAT of selling a fight but his skills dont put him anywhere near the best of all time.
                        Izzy has defended his title 100% more then Conors 2 belts. If you want to be a GOAT you have to have title defenses. Conor here for the $ not the legacy and he should be fine with that but dont get it twisted. He doesnt even sniff the greats

Comment

• Yeah Conor is nowhere near in the GOAT convo. Dude never defended a single belt. I agree with Miek's rankings. GSP is the GOAT, Khabib for sure is in the top 5. Couture, Silva, Mighty Mouse....I loved Lyoto Machida so I have to put him in the top 10. He and GSP are my two all time favorites.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                            Yeah Conor is nowhere near in the GOAT convo. Dude never defended a single belt. I agree with Miek's rankings. GSP is the GOAT, Khabib for sure is in the top 5. Couture, Silva, Mighty Mouse....I loved Lyoto Machida so I have to put him in the top 10. He and GSP are my two all time favorites.
                            I liked machida to his Karate style is great. I like wonderboy for a large part just because he has the same style. Machida was much more creative with his striking tho.
                            I think GSP is the GOAT as well but if were talking all-time favorite i don't think anyone will ever be able to knock clay guida off that spot for me. Dude was insane if you want to get someone into the sport just show them Guidas fight library

Comment

• Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post

i agree that gsp is the goat. jones is a juicer, can't be goat. could have been.

i think it goes
                                gsp
                                khabib (i want them to fight and settle it)
                                maybe couture/silva
                                it gets super hard. i loved tim silva, maurice smith, young frank mir, mighty mouse, jose aldo(probably a juicer), andrei arvlovski,
                                I'd go GSP, Jon Jones, Emelianenko, Johnson and Anderson Silva, I could be convinced to take out Silva or even Mighty Mouse as I don't know that either one had the effect the first three had on MMA. I'd also listen to an argument Jones is #1 based on the list of fighters he has beat (Rua, Jackson, Machida, Belfort, Cormier) that would be in top 30 to 50 lists of all-time fighters.

As for Khabib, his competition hasn't been at the level of GSP or Jones or Fedor. At a minimum, he needs to beat both Ferguson and Gaethje and win a Conor rematch to get into that top 5 discussion.

Last edited by slaw; Tue May 26, 2020, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X