The MMA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post

I'd go GSP, Jon Jones, Emelianenko, Johnson and Anderson Silva, I could be convinced to take out Silva or even Mighty Mouse as I don't know that either one had the effect the first three had on MMA. I'd also listen to an argument Jones is #1 based on the list of fighters he has beat (Rua, Jackson, Machida, Belfort, Cormier) that would be in top 30 to 50 lists of all-time fighters.

As for Khabib, his competition hasn't been at the level of GSP or Jones or Fedor. At a minimum, he needs to beat both Ferguson and Gaethje and win a Conor rematch to get into that top 5 discussion.

Jon would have a case to challenge GSP if it wasn't for the PED questions to me. Same with Silva the positives at the end of the career IMO makes them unable to touch GSP claim as the best without some question marks.
    To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Jon would have a case to challenge GSP if it wasn't for the PED questions to me. Same with Silva the positives at the end of the career IMO makes them unable to touch GSP claim as the best without some question marks.
      All of the ex-Pride guys Jones beat had questions around PEDs (Rua, Jackson) given that pretty much everyone in Pride was juicing at one point. Belfort is obviously an offender. I'm not going to accuse everyone he has fought but look at that list of names and tell me 90% of those guys weren't on drugs of some sort. I know it hangs up a lot of people but the history of MMA and PEDs is what it is and personally I can't knock a guy for doing what he had to do to compete with these chemically created monsters.

GSP's clean history certainly speaks well for him and the Hendricks fight earns him major marks for stepping in there and beating Bane...

Comment

All of the ex-Pride guys Jones beat had questions around PEDs (Rua, Jackson) given that pretty much everyone in Pride was juicing at one point. Belfort is obviously an offender. I'm not going to accuse everyone he has fought but look at that list of names and tell me 90% of those guys weren't on drugs of some sort. I know it hangs up a lot of people but the history of MMA and PEDs is what it is and personally I can't knock a guy for doing what he had to do to compete with these chemically created monsters.

GSP's clean history certainly speaks well for him and the Hendricks fight earns him major marks for stepping in there and beating Bane...
        Ya that would be a point in Jones favour if he didnt test positive himself. Jones has the best resume of guys he has beaten. The LHW was unreal right before he won the belt and he defended against some monsters before he cleaned it out. But still if your going head to head against a guy who never had any sort of controversy and also came to win a belt at a larger weight class after being retired your going to lose that argument IMO.

Comment

Ya that would be a point in Jones favour if he didnt test positive himself. Jones has the best resume of guys he has beaten. The LHW was unreal right before he won the belt and he defended against some monsters before he cleaned it out. But still if your going head to head against a guy who never had any sort of controversy and also came to win a belt at a larger weight class after being retired your going to lose that argument IMO.
          Agreed, and that's why I had GSP at #1 but I can see the argument for Jones as well.

Comment

As for Khabib, his competition hasn't been at the level of GSP or Jones or Fedor. At a minimum, he needs to beat both Ferguson and Gaethje and win a Conor rematch to get into that top 5 discussion.
            i've never seen anyone as dominant as khabib. one lost round to connor in 27 fights, 1 round. and they are 10, 8s because the judges are being nice and can't give zeroes.

i know they are teammates but rockhold, and dc say 155s, and 170s have never felt anything like khabib. porrier is world class, made us feel sorry and question justin gaethjie's life choices, rag dolled. johnson got emasculated on tv, barbosa broken so bad he somehow scared another 10 pounds off of himself to 145, it's only business, completely humbled.

gaethjie is getting rag dolled.

Comment

• colby on leaving att. amazingly he takes the high road, and says there are no hard feelings with att. takes shots at the cowards on the team that cry to get him out though.

jorge "street judas" masvidal

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post

colby on leaving att. amazingly he takes the high road, and says there are no hard feelings with att. takes shots at the cowards on the team that cry to get him out though.

jorge "street judas" masvidal
                Seems like Masvidal is ducking Usman right now. If he is too scared to lose his hot streak vs Usman i would love to see a Masvidal/Covingtion grudge match

Comment

Seems like Masvidal is ducking Usman right now. If he is too scared to lose his hot streak vs Usman i would love to see a Masvidal/Covingtion grudge match
                  Money money money money... Money.

Smart business for Jorge to not fight usman. If he can keep his bmf Lustre.

Lose the bmf, take the usman fight.

Lose to usman, and your ppv power goes away.
                  ​​​​​
                  Edit add:would love a Colby Jorge fight

Comment

• Connor says no to usman, and yes to silva.

Comment

Connor says no to usman, and yes to silva.

Conor going on a tour of fighting big name who are washed up?
                      Whose next B.J penn? Chuck Liddel?
                      I know he is a big name but if he keep angling for these easy fights he going to lose some of his allure from the casual. He already has lost it from the hardcore fan

Comment

Conor going on a tour of fighting big name who are washed up?
                        Whose next B.J penn? Chuck Liddel?
                        I know he is a big name but if he keep angling for these easy fights he going to lose some of his allure from the casual. He already has lost it from the hardcore fan
                        First Cowboy, now Silva? lol. Come on man. Is he only interested in fighting washed up dudes now? Usman called him out a few days ago, why not fight him? lmao
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• I think Conor is stuck. I don't think it's smart for him to move up to 170 unless his goal is to fight all the washed up dudes. Usman, Masvidal, Woodley....these guys would smoke him. I think Conor is in the right division but I also think he knows he can't beat Khabib lol. I'm not sure if he can even beat Gaethje. Gaethje looked really good against Ferguson.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                            I think Conor is stuck. I don't think it's smart for him to move up to 170 unless his goal is to fight all the washed up dudes. Usman, Masvidal, Woodley....these guys would smoke him. I think Conor is in the right division but I also think he knows he can't beat Khabib lol. I'm not sure if he can even beat Gaethje. Gaethje looked really good against Ferguson.
                            5 round fight with Anderson only makes sense for ppv money, from Connor fans.

I think an usman fight is good prep for a khabib fight actually. I think Connor loses that fight, but a loss to usman compared to a win over silva, is still better, in my opinion. Usman probably won't stand and trade with Connor, and isn't as good a wrestler as khabib, but is bigger, and uses wrestling up against the cage like khabib.

I think Conor can beat gaethjie, and would like that fight.
                            ​​​
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

5 round fight with Anderson only makes sense for ppv money, from Connor fans.

I think an usman fight is good prep for a khabib fight actually. I think Connor loses that fight, but a loss to usman compared to a win over silva, is still better, in my opinion. Usman probably won't stand and trade with Connor, and isn't as good a wrestler as khabib, but is bigger, and uses wrestling up against the cage like khabib.

I think Conor can beat gaethjie, and would like that fight.
                              ​​​
                              ​​​​​​
                              I think Usman would beat Conor worse then Khabib did. Usman is basically a bigger Khabib with more power in his hands. Ya id love a Gaethje vs Conor to but it make zero sense for Justin. He just won his chance at a title he by outclassing an animal. Justin can just sit back and wait to khabib to be ready and maybe the UFC even wants to wait so they can have that fight in front of fans.

Conor is in a weird spot but he has no one to blame but himself. The justin fight was there for him instead of Cowboy and he choose the easy route now he's going to have to wait. He's too conscious of his dwindling selling power to take hard fights like Porrier, Gaethje, Usman.
                              The only fight that gets me excited, will make Conor $ and he has a decent shot at winning is Masvidal. Unfourtantly Jorge is learning from Conor and has the exact options he is weighing with his decision making so hard to see it getting booked

Comment

I think Usman would beat Conor worse then Khabib did. Usman is basically a bigger Khabib with more power in his hands. Ya id love a Gaethje vs Conor to but it make zero sense for Justin. He just won his chance at a title he by outclassing an animal. Justin can just sit back and wait to khabib to be ready and maybe the UFC even wants to wait so they can have that fight in front of fans.

Conor is in a weird spot but he has no one to blame but himself. The justin fight was there for him instead of Cowboy and he choose the easy route now he's going to have to wait. He's too conscious of his dwindling selling power to take hard fights like Porrier, Gaethje, Usman.
                                The only fight that gets me excited, will make Conor $ and he has a decent shot at winning is Masvidal. Unfourtantly Jorge is learning from Conor and has the exact options he is weighing with his decision making so hard to see it getting booked
                                Masvidal would smoke Conor. Masvidal is an animal. Style wise the best matchup for Conor imo is Gaethje.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X