The NHL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    Just hoping we get as much CanCon as we can come April...Think 3 make the show.

The Jets and Leafs are pretty solid bets to make the post season. The Jets are a powerhouse. Calgary is better than 50/50.

Edmonton.. wow.. best player on skates but he has his work cut out for him. Its going to be tough and not sure Edmonton has the horses beyond McDavid to get it done.
    Montreal and Ottawa .. well the rebuilds are full on... not to much hope
    Vancouver .. a tier above Montreal and Ottawa...
    Montreal has a bad team but you never know with Carey Price - if he's healthy and on all year, he can drag them there. Certainly wouldn't bet on it, but I'd hesitate to write them off. I think Vancouver is probably worse unless Price misses a lot of time again.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I dunno, I think Price's best minutes in net are behind him now

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        Montreal has a bad team but you never know with Carey Price - if he's healthy and on all year, he can drag them there. Certainly wouldn't bet on it, but I'd hesitate to write them off. I think Vancouver is probably worse unless Price misses a lot of time again.
        Superjudge wrote: View Post
        I dunno, I think Price's best minutes in net are behind him now
        Habs again just don’t look like they can score...4 goals will be a big night for them and those nights will be few.

Price will be good..he might even be great...there will be nights where he only gives up 2 on 40 plus shots ...but the Habs will still lose more of those than they win.

It’s going to be another couple years till they assemble some skill up front.

They just must hate Bergevin.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

• Home Opener...Leafs vs The Habs...

1 to 1 as I scribble this but for the first time in 10-15 years there is a pretty decent team down at the ACC that looks like they can get over 325 goals for this year...Not sure how many they give up

Going to be a great winter down at the ACC for both the Leafs and the Raps.
          - TGO

Comment

• Kind of a rough first game, they struggled against the Habs' speed. Hainsey especially (who is the guy I might be least confident in of the Leafs' defenders). Still, megawatt superstar power paid off and they pulled out the win. Andersen was great, Matthews was great, Tavares was great. Get all three of those on any night and it's probably 2 points.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I'm late to the party on this, but Erik Gudbranson's cheap shot on rookie Dillon Dube on the very first shift of his NHL career does not sit well with me at all. Yeah, your team is likely to miss the playoffs by a wide margin, and yeah, you want to play hard every game, but there's playing hard and then there's what you did, and they're not the same. Play the game the way it's meant to be played.

Comment

• Drove up Bay Street this morning on my way to my in laws.

Saw almost 1000 people on Bay scrubbing off their reserved spots they marked with day glo orange spray paint for the Leafs Stanley Cup parade this June.

And I thought Raps fans changed their views by the minute.
                - TGO

Comment

• I love offense in hockey. Tonights Leaf/Hawks game was fantastic for fans who love wide open who has the puck last wins it game.

However one Kyle Dubas must be hoping really hard that the AHL goalie of the year has just had his worst game in five years tonight in Chicago. If its not... Kyle better start looking over the waiver wire for some help.

I get everyone has bad games.. .but that Kane goal to tie it at 6... it was a clear view shot from the top of the circle hard by the boards which went right by Sparks glove. Ouch man.
                  - TGO

Comment

I love offense in hockey. Tonights Leaf/Hawks game was fantastic for fans who love wide open who has the puck last wins it game.

However one Kyle Dubas must be hoping really hard that the AHL goalie of the year has just had his worst game in five years tonight in Chicago. If its not... Kyle better start looking over the waiver wire for some help.

I get everyone has bad games.. .but that Kane goal to tie it at 6... it was a clear view shot from the top of the circle hard by the boards which went right by Sparks glove. Ouch man.
                    Hainsey tipped that goal in, dude.

Sparks was about as good as a goalie could be behind the mess that was the Leafs' defence that game. Not even the defencemen in particular (except Hainsey who has looked awful through all three games), but the forwards turning the puck over deep in their own end, when they aren't fleeing the zone too early and leaving their D-men hanging to dry. Especially the bottom 6, though the top lines need to smarten up too. Not that the D were perfect, Dermott had a giveaway that led straight to a goal (though, again, abandoned by the forwards too soon), and Gardiner spoonfed them a chance for no reason (though Sparks bailed him out).

Biggest issue I had with Sparks was he was a little too aggressive playing the puck behind the net, but that's something I've had to get used to work Andersen as well. Cost them one goal, I think.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Hainsey tipped that goal in, dude.

Sparks was about as good as a goalie could be behind the mess that was the Leafs' defence that game. Not even the defencemen in particular (except Hainsey who has looked awful through all three games), but the forwards turning the puck over deep in their own end, when they aren't fleeing the zone too early and leaving their D-men hanging to dry. Especially the bottom 6, though the top lines need to smarten up too. Not that the D were perfect, Dermott had a giveaway that led straight to a goal (though, again, abandoned by the forwards too soon), and Gardiner spoonfed them a chance for no reason (though Sparks bailed him out).

Biggest issue I had with Sparks was he was a little too aggressive playing the puck behind the net, but that's something I've had to get used to work Andersen as well. Cost them one goal, I think.
                      Sparks let the puck play him on his 2 in what seemed like 4 goals in 40 seconds to close out the game. I don’t think Hainsey was on the ice for number 6...maybe for 5. He didn’t look too steady most of the night. The bank shots that the guys take now to bounce it off the boards to come off at the side of the net gave him some trouble.

I’ll look for the highlights but Sparks was backing up as Kane’s less than a laser went by him high on the short side.

Did you catch Toews face after Ward let number 7 go in that won it for the leafs...

Edit..Your right Hainsey was on for 6 as well as number 5. Babcock is one stubborn guy.Even more so than Casey.
                      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Oct 8, 2018, 08:28 AM. Reason: Hainsey
                      - TGO

Comment

Sparks let the puck play him on his 2 in what seemed like 4 goals in 40 seconds to close out the game. I don’t think Hainsey was on the ice for number 6...maybe for 5. I’ll look for the highlights but Sparks was backing up as Kane’s less than a laser went by him high on the short side.

Did you catch Toews face after Ward let number 7 go in that won it for the leafs...
                        It's hard to believe Ward is still in the league. He's been bad for a long time.

I can assure you the last goal was tipped. The front of the net was a mess all night long.

As a former goalie I'm pretty critical of goalies in general (heck, Andersen was awful in game 2, as he often is early in the year), and every goal Sparks let in had some serious mitigating factors in this one (while he saved their bacon on several occasions). Now that may be a fact of life on this team, but I can't say another tender would have changed much last night.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Sparks was a hero in the AHL last year, he will bve fine. He is every bit as good as CM, but has more friendly contract staus and he's only 25.

Comment

It's hard to believe Ward is still in the league. He's been bad for a long time.

I can assure you the last goal was tipped. The front of the net was a mess all night long.

As a former goalie I'm pretty critical of goalies in general (heck, Andersen was awful in game 2, as he often is early in the year), and every goal Sparks let in had some serious mitigating factors in this one (while he saved their bacon on several occasions). Now that may be a fact of life on this team, but I can't say another tender would have changed much last night.
                            I just saw that... a former goalie !
                            Well as a member of the goalie union I can see why you see Sparks is not a fault for anything
                            Kick save and a beauty ...
                            - TGO

Comment

• The Leafs could be the first team in a long time to crack 300 goals for in a season.
                              - TGO

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                                Sparks was a hero in the AHL last year, he will bve fine. He is every bit as good as CM, but has more friendly contract staus and he's only 25.
                                In a "what have you done for me lately" business like pro sports if Garrets next start is a good one and a win....The herd will move on to the next real or imagined leafs topic du jour. I'd like to see how he does over his next 10 or so games.
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X