Announcement

Collapse

Raptors Republic Android & iOS App

Hey guys and gals,

We're running a, how should I say, pilot or beta version of our new Raptors Republic app. We haven't made it official as we're still trying to work out some bugs while improving the user interface. So, its not the final version so expect to see more changes over the next while.

Anyhow, please feel free to download. Available on both Android & iPhone. It's absolutely free.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rsrepublic.app

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6946?ls=1&mt=8

If we could ask a favour though. We're welcoming feedback and suggestions on perhaps things you'd like to see. At the end of the day we're doing this for you guys by making everything here easier available for you the user. Please send your feedback (Regardless if its positive or negative) to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and we hope you guys enjoy the application.
See more
See less

The NHL Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Knight
    started a topic The NHL Thread

The NHL Thread

What!?! No hockey thread? Well, we'll just have to do something about that.

Can't believe CuJo's retired. He was like my favourite Leaf a few years back. But, hey, when you're 42, guess its time to call it quits.

• slaw
    replied
    Thank the gods. I can't stand anymore Boston championships. Good for St. Louis. What a great story.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    Game 7 of the Stanley Cup playoffs goes tonight.
    The best road team in the playoffs the St. Louis Blues travels to Boston.
    Both have great goaltending (whodathunkthat eh?)
    Both have solid bluelines.
    There is a storyline.....42 year old Zedeno Chara is playing with a broken jaw.... remember the pitcher for the Jays who had to sit down with "forearm tightness" and couldn't understand the mocking laughter he got ?
    St. Louis is the the more physically imposing team and can and will use that after the Bataan Death march that is the Stanley Cup Playoffs. It matters. Boston can finish better than the Blues.

Flip a coin...

Heart over head.... The St. Louis Blues skate back to Mizzou with Lord Stanley...
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Jun 12th, 2019, 01:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post
    I didn't even know there was a thread for this.

The Blues have no counterpart to the leadership of Chara (best Captain in hockey) Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci and Pasta. Their youngD is highly under rated. Plus, Bruins are deep into Binnington's head and Rask is unflappable.

I like the Blues (and the Blue Jackets), they play Bruin's hockey. But they're Bruins-lite
    Yes it is possible to follow and cheer for teams in multiple sports.

Big game tonight.....With their season and the cup on the line if they go down 3-1 I think the Blues win and they go back to Boston tied. Look for a pretty physical game tonight.

That Chara is still playing in the show at 42 Is awesome. Just unbelievable he can still play. Pretty sure Z doesn’t buy too many restaurant meals in Boston for the rest of his life if he decides to live their post hockey.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    I didn't even know there was a thread for this.

The Blues have no counterpart to the leadership of Chara (best Captain in hockey) Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci and Pasta. Their youngD is highly under rated. Plus, Bruins are deep into Binnington's head and Rask is unflappable.

I like the Blues (and the Blue Jackets), they play Bruin's hockey. But they're Bruins-lite

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    Well here we are..... The Stanley Cup playoffs finals are set. The toughest title to win in pro sports kicks off this weekend.

The St. Louis Blues and the Boston Bruins.

For the record I had both these teams out. The Blues in the second round against the Preds and the Bruins not finding a way by the Leafs...

Its surely is painful for Leaf fans as the Leafs had the Bruins on the mat but didn't choke the life out them in game 6. Then we got to watch the Bruins take care of the Blue Jackets and Hurricanes with really no problems and slide not the Cup finals.Next year.

The Blues.. riding the hottest goaltender in the playoffs got by the Jets who are also doing some soul searching this off season, then took care of Nashville and a really good Sharks team.

I am cheering for the Blues... They have an incredibly loyal fan base in a city that loves its baseball and hockey above all else... even the NBA and the NFL.

Jordan Binnington wins the Conn Smythe and the Cup for a city that has been waiting for it since 1968.

Go Blues Go.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed May 22nd, 2019, 09:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post

Yeah, so you want to trade part of our core for a solid defenceman. We are not going to agree on that.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Apr 26th, 2019, 04:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Yeah.. I sadly agree that Connor may be on the move next year... Its reason 12,748 why I hate the salary cap so they can have hockey in Miami. Bracco is the likely backfill. Not sure about Ennis moving on... I think they like him.. but money talks and if he gets a decent offer he will go. Moore is this years Johannson. He is under team control and he stays. ..

We are going to be on opposite side of the table on Timashov. If he had something to offer I think we would have seen him by now.

As for snarl n skill.

Winnipeg is kinda stuck by the salary cap as well . Pretty much everyone is up for renewal. Trouba is on the outs there... He makes 6.. but his AAV is 5. The Leafs could give a shit about salary vs AAV.. So he might be in play.

Another bet is Bogosian in Buffalo.. They got cap room and they just imploded last year. Again. They got nothing from their bottom 6 forwards and other than Eichel they didn't get much from their top 6 forwards. Skinner started out like a house on fire but cooled markedly as the second half drew to a close. The free fall from the playoffs to the lottery cost the coach his job. My bet is that Jason Botterill as GM won't be around to fire the next coach as scapegoat if they fuck up again. That should make him open to deal. Skinner is going to want Nylander money in FA and he is 26. the back end of the deal won't be good. Nylander is guranteed money at 7 for the next 5 years and he is all of 22.t AND his kid brother is in Buffalo who needs a kick start. Bogosian makes 5 as does your best dman in Reilly. Steep price to pay but the Leafs have a lot of skill up front and would be dealing from a postion of strength with the ability to backfill.. almost.. kinda sorta...

But.. you add snarl and save 2m. for Marner..... so it is possible to add some snarl n skill without cutting your fingers off to do it.

BTW.. Zach B is a right handed shot. .
    Yeah, so you want to trade part of our core for a solid defenceman. We are not going to agree on that.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied

I don't think Brown is here next year, and I think Moore is a third liner next year. Ennis may not be here either, he's a FA who is likely hoping to get a somewhat bigger deal, which the Leafs won't give him, they need to pay their 4th liners near-minimum. Maybe he gets no bites on the market and comes back for the minimum again but tough to bet on that. Bracco is awesome and if they want to add a scorer he's next in line but if they want a 4th liner who can play in the corners Timashov is the guy I'd think of.

I mean, sure, it would be awesome to get a Trouba. But that's a star defenceman. You absolutely cannot afford a guy like that. Skill with snarl is freaking impossible to get, especially on the back end, and no one trades that away unless they are deep into a tank. Obviously it would be good to have a guy like that, but you can't have everything. Meanwhile Bogosian is out for the next 6 months with injury... And it's all well and good to pretend there is a "Bogosian/Trouba type" but in reality there are just a few Trouba/Bogosians. Not a whole lot of those to find.

What's easier to find is a guy who has one or the other. And given the choice there I go skill every time. Obviously getting both is fantastic but it's just not something you can go out and sign for a reasonable price. Not possible.
    Yeah.. I sadly agree that Connor may be on the move next year... Its reason 12,748 why I hate the salary cap so they can have hockey in Miami. Bracco is the likely backfill. Not sure about Ennis moving on... I think they like him.. but money talks and if he gets a decent offer he will go. Moore is this years Johannson. He is under team control and he stays. ..

We are going to be on opposite side of the table on Timashov. If he had something to offer I think we would have seen him by now.

As for snarl n skill.

Winnipeg is kinda stuck by the salary cap as well . Pretty much everyone is up for renewal. Trouba is on the outs there... He makes 6.. but his AAV is 5. The Leafs could give a shit about salary vs AAV.. So he might be in play.

Another bet is Bogosian in Buffalo.. They got cap room and they just imploded last year. Again. They got nothing from their bottom 6 forwards and other than Eichel they didn't get much from their top 6 forwards. Skinner started out like a house on fire but cooled markedly as the second half drew to a close. The free fall from the playoffs to the lottery cost the coach his job. My bet is that Jason Botterill as GM won't be around to fire the next coach as scapegoat if they fuck up again. That should make him open to deal. Skinner is going to want Nylander money in FA and he is 26. the back end of the deal won't be good. Nylander is guranteed money at 7 for the next 5 years and he is all of 22.t AND his kid brother is in Buffalo who needs a kick start. Bogosian makes 5 as does your best dman in Reilly. Steep price to pay but the Leafs have a lot of skill up front and would be dealing from a postion of strength with the ability to backfill.. almost.. kinda sorta...

But.. you add snarl and save 2m. for Marner..... so it is possible to add some snarl n skill without cutting your fingers off to do it.

BTW.. Zach B is a right handed shot. .
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Apr 26th, 2019, 11:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied

Timashov played in the Q ....which produces goalies and scoreres... they can spell defense in the Q.. but they don't play any and no one plays heavy in that league.... since the Leafs drafted him. he... has fallen down the depth chart .... he is behind Bracco on the Marlies... and for fourth line time he is still way behind Ennis and Moore and Brown....

On the blue line... If you stay within the organization they go Reilly ... Muzzin.. Dermott. and Zaitsev.... two spots open up with the departure of Gardiner who is a cap casualty... and perhaps Hainsey.. who Babcock will lobby they resign.... If I am GM for a day I say a heartfelt thanks to Ron for 3 years that were better than most thought.... This is where you slot in a bigger heavier defenseman to complement your skaters and puck movers... I like a guy like Bogosian or Trouba for this role..They also have skill.... That leaves one spot in the succession chain open... and one of Lillogren or Sandin should get that spot....

You still stay skill first.. but you added more snarl with a Trouba/Bogosian type. It makes the other guys play bigger and push back harder..

They aren't that far away... This isn't new news to the Leafs front office. They have been staring at this aspect of the game they lack since last October.. They know it.. They have money and assets to address the snarl defecit. Heres hoping they find the right pieces to slot in.
    I don't think Brown is here next year, and I think Moore is a third liner next year. Ennis may not be here either, he's a FA who is likely hoping to get a somewhat bigger deal, which the Leafs won't give him, they need to pay their 4th liners near-minimum. Maybe he gets no bites on the market and comes back for the minimum again but tough to bet on that. Bracco is awesome and if they want to add a scorer he's next in line but if they want a 4th liner who can play in the corners Timashov is the guy I'd think of.

I mean, sure, it would be awesome to get a Trouba. But that's a star defenceman. You absolutely cannot afford a guy like that. Skill with snarl is freaking impossible to get, especially on the back end, and no one trades that away unless they are deep into a tank. Obviously it would be good to have a guy like that, but you can't have everything. Meanwhile Bogosian is out for the next 6 months with injury... And it's all well and good to pretend there is a "Bogosian/Trouba type" but in reality there are just a few Trouba/Bogosians. Not a whole lot of those to find.

What's easier to find is a guy who has one or the other. And given the choice there I go skill every time. Obviously getting both is fantastic but it's just not something you can go out and sign for a reasonable price. Not possible.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied

I think Timashov can bring some grit on the wing next year if they give him 4th line minutes.

On defence I'm hoping to see more talent rather than "grit," and they actually have a few very promising pieces coming up on the back end. Which is good, since they probably lose Gardiner and they should get rid of Hainsey unless he's dirt cheap and will play 3rd pairing minutes and the PK.
    Timashov played in the Q ....which produces goalies and scoreres... they can spell defense in the Q.. but they don't play any and no one plays heavy in that league.... since the Leafs drafted him. he... has fallen down the depth chart .... he is behind Bracco on the Marlies... and for fourth line time he is still way behind Ennis and Moore and Brown....

On the blue line... If you stay within the organization they go Reilly ... Muzzin.. Dermott. and Zaitsev.... two spots open up with the departure of Gardiner who is a cap casualty... and perhaps Hainsey.. who Babcock will lobby they resign.... If I am GM for a day I say a heartfelt thanks to Ron for 3 years that were better than most thought.... This is where you slot in a bigger heavier defenseman to complement your skaters and puck movers... I like a guy like Bogosian or Trouba for this role..They also have skill.... That leaves one spot in the succession chain open... and one of Lillogren or Sandin should get that spot....

You still stay skill first.. but you added more snarl with a Trouba/Bogosian type. It makes the other guys play bigger and push back harder..

They aren't that far away... This isn't new news to the Leafs front office. They have been staring at this aspect of the game they lack since last October.. They know it.. They have money and assets to address the snarl defecit. Heres hoping they find the right pieces to slot in.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Apr 25th, 2019, 04:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied

Unfortunately there are none. If they had them, they would have played.

I think Timashov can bring some grit on the wing next year if they give him 4th line minutes.

On defence I'm hoping to see more talent rather than "grit," and they actually have a few very promising pieces coming up on the back end. Which is good, since they probably lose Gardiner and they should get rid of Hainsey unless he's dirt cheap and will play 3rd pairing minutes and the PK.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

The problem is you need it from your best players. That's where it starts. Calgary is a classic example of a team that has lots of sandpaper, except its two top offensive guys (Gaudreau and Monahan) have zero. If Marner and Matthews and Tavares don't play that way, adding some third liner to carve people's eyes out won't matter.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Apr 25th, 2019, 03:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied

The problem is you need it from your best players. That's where it starts. Calgary is a classic example of a team that has lots of sandpaper, except its two top offensive guys (Gaudreau and Monahan) have zero. If Marner and Matthews and Tavares don't play that way, adding some third liner to carve people's eyes out won't matter.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied

If it's players like Simmons or Muzzin, sign me up. But those guys are hard to find, especially on affordable deals. If it's players who are grit but no skill they'd just be a worse team.

More likely they just bring up some good, moderately sandpapery players from within.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X