• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this guy needs to calm down bit huh

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

this guy needs to calm down bit huh
      Ya that's a bit much, but really its good for the Sport .. if Fury actually manages to beat Klitchko, and the more he talks about AJ (and the more AJ stays calm and collected), they set the stage for the ultimate show down. People want Heavyweights, and they want Heavyweights that matter .. Fury is just trying to sound like he matters.

Comment

• Really looking forward to the Alvarez-Khan fight. I think Khan is making too big of a chance, but hey, its good for the Sport.

Also love that Canadian David Lemieux is starting to get his. Got a nice pay day against GGG, and will likely see another as the co-feature on this Undercard.

Comment

• haha

Comment

• Alvarez knocks out Khan in the 6th ... can't say I didn't see this coming. Man, Alvarez is scary good.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
              Alvarez knocks out Khan in the 6th ... can't say I didn't see this coming. Man, Alvarez is scary good.
              Alvarez vs Golovkin fight needs to happen!

Comment

• RIP to the Greatest.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                  RIP to the Greatest.
                  This truly deserves its own thread, I just can't do it justice tonight on my phone.

The term "polarizing" gets thrown out there quite a bit these days for certain athletes, unwarranted IMO, but this man epitomizes the definition.

Just watching a piece by Stephen Brunt on Sportsnet now. Very good work for a quick summarisation of his career.

RIP to The Greatest.

Comment

• Ali was the only celebrity I ever met.. had a quick conversation with him when I was a kid. I never really watched his sport or cared for it, but when I saw him you could tell that there was something different about him.

RIP

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      Ali was the only celebrity I ever met.. had a quick conversation with him when I was a kid. I never really watched his sport or cared for it, but when I saw him you could tell that there was something different about him.

RIP
                      Great experience Planet....guess there were no cellphones for a selfie

From all I have read I think he was equally a great person (maybe greater) as he was a boxer and entertainer.

No doubt his Parkinson's was in all likelihood brought on by boxing. It is a brutal sport for many.

Comment

• The rope-a-dope fight in Zaire

Probably the best strategic smart fight Ali fought. Foreman was a scary fighter and a monster of a man. There was no way anyone could slug it out with the man. I believe Ali also fought here after a 10 year absence.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post

From all I have read I think he was equally a great person (maybe greater) as he was a boxer and entertainer.

No doubt his Parkinson's was in all likelihood brought on by boxing. It is a brutal sport for many.
                          Hard to say what it takes to contract Parkinson's. I'm sure all those blows didn't help, but I don't think there's any proof yet that boxing can contribute to it.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                            Hard to say what it takes to contract Parkinson's. I'm sure all those blows didn't help, but I don't think there's any proof yet that boxing can contribute to it.
                            Loosemore argues that there is evidence that early-onset Parkinson’s ran in his family. Yes, he was already suffering from tremors and speech impediments even before his nightmarish penultimate bout with Larry Holmes at the age of 38. But then the actor Michael J Fox was diagnosed with the syndrome aged 30, and he did not spend his days sparring in a gym.

“Look at the late fights in his career,” Loosemore told Telegraph Sport, “and in hindsight I believe you can see that he was already suffering, just from the way he moved his body. Parkinson’s slows you down and makes you a bit stiff. His uncle and his grandfather also had the illness, so the story may not be as simple as it first appears.”

Comment

It was in the early 90's.. my uncle took us to an amateur fight (he was a huge fan of the sport), and Ali was there. He signed the baseball cap I was wearing, and shook his hand. No pics. I lost the cap eventually.. but whether I had proof or not, it was a memory I'll never forget. He was a kind man, shaking lots of peoples hands. Had a big smile and just had this presence like he meant something to everyone there. His illness had definitely shown but he didn't seem to care, and was laughing about it more than using it as a crutch.

Comment

Probably the best strategic smart fight Ali fought. Foreman was a scary fighter and a monster of a man. There was no way anyone could slug it out with the man. I believe Ali also fought here after a 10 year absence.

Apparently there is a really good documentary called "When we were Kings" that chronicles this fight. Was listening to TSN radio last night and Mike Hogan was talking about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X