Realistic Depth Solutions - PG & C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realistic Depth Solutions - PG & C

Was thinking about some moves that could realistically be made to shore up some of our weaknesses while working within a framework similar to what I think Masia's is/should be (maintaining financial flexibility and retaining players who should be here long term):

3 way trade:
    Toronto receives: R. Sessions and E. Udoh
    Charlotte receives: T. Hansborough
    Milwaukee receives: 2nd rounder, Buycks, Daye and Stone

While we give up Psycho T, we gain a capable defensive center who's mobile enough to play spot minutes at the 4. As it stands right now, we basically have 1 center and 4 power forwards up front, and that's just not going to cut it in the east. For the Bucks, the get something in return for a player whod be leaving this summer anyways. Plus, they get another draft pick and 2nd rounders seem to be their favorite. They also receive Byucks, Daye and Stone as a sweeteners as they're in better position to take a chance on developing one of them then we are. And, if they suck there too, they'll just help the Bucks tank.

As for Charlotte, they're looking to unload Sessions' expiring contract and need help up front. Enter Psycho T, who could come in and probably start for them, as they're especially weak at the 4 spot. While it sucks to move Hansbrough, he's behind 2Pat and Amir at the 4, and doesn't give you all that much more than Hayes, and unfortunately, no one is taking Hayes off our hands.

With these trades, we add some depth at our weak spots (PG/C) but don't take on any salaries that go beyond this summer. Btw, I realize this trade doesn't work on the trade machine, but it doesn't let you use trade exceptions or draft picks.
    Being a Toronto Raptors fan is like being in an abusive relationship... Every time you've reached your breaking point after years of disappointment and neglect, they do just enough to give you hope for the future... Only to let you down again.

Here's hoping 2014-2015 breaks the cycle!!! #WeTheNorth

Alternatively...

We could send Amir to CHA for sessions + 1st rounder (Portland).
    Then, we trade Hansbrough + our 1st to Philly for Young, as he can play both forward spots and thus gives us another option defensively when up against bigger small forwards (if Ross is struggling).

Our 9-Man Rotation After Trades:
    Lowry, Sessions, Derozan, Salmons, Ross, Young, Patterson, Valanciunas, Udoh

Key Reserves:
    Vasquez, Novak, Hayes
    Being a Toronto Raptors fan is like being in an abusive relationship... Every time you've reached your breaking point after years of disappointment and neglect, they do just enough to give you hope for the future... Only to let you down again.

Comment

.... actually, to make that 2nd scenario work, wed need to do it as a 3 team trade. Same tradees though.

Comment

Has Charlotte got anyone decent at backup point? I'm not sure they get better with this deal.

If they do it, I'd do it too. Toronto saves cap space and gets more depth. Well, as long as it's not the Sacramento 2nd rounder, since that pick is pretty much as good as a 1st rounder.

2nd scenario. I would do that. Would other teams do it, I'm not sure.

On one hand, Amir seems worth an expiring + a late 1st. On the other hand, I think Charlotte should aim much higher than that. Instead of sacrificing a pick and cap space on Amir, they have to look at combining their picks, assets, cap space, and add at least one or two all star caliber starters. So I wouldn't do it for them but who knows.

Similar with Thad Young. On one hand, losing Young would make it even easier for them to tank, and a pick is a nice asset in future trades. On the other hand, lets say they keep that Raptors pick and end up drafting at ~20, what are the chances that Philly drafts anyone as good as Thad Young with that pick? Very low, IMO. And they are already successfully tanking.
        And Young is young, he's young enough to be part of their new young core.
        So I don't think I'd do it for them either, but again, who knows.

Comment

Here's the thing with Charlotte though, they dont have the assets or cap space to go out and get 2 all star caliber players, let alone one.

Regarding Young, he really just doesn't fit in with Philly's rebuilding efforts. He helps them win games, reducing their lottery odds, will take play time away from young prospects next year, has a sizable salary (10 million next year, with a player option for 2015-2016), and has more value this year as his early termination option for 2015-2016 could make teams less willing to give up fair value for a potential 1 year rental.

Comment

Charlotte is going to have 15-20 mil in cap space this year, and they have some picks and youngsters. They definitely could aim higher.

Philly has the 2nd worst record in the league right now, by the way, so they are tanking fine. Young is 25 years old, so he's just entering his prime and he could definitely be part of their future. If Philly wants to get a bit worse without hurting their future, it would make more sense to move Hawes, who's an expiring anyway.

Maybe these teams would make these trades, there are some arguments to be made in favor of that, but I wouldn't make them. I'd aim much higher for Charlotte, and just keep Thad Young for Philly unless there's a Godfather offer.

Comment

Yes and no with Charolette. Their impending cap space essentially comes from the $18 million of salary coming off the books between Ben Gordon and Ramon Sessions, with another $2.8 million from a couple of vet minimum contracts from the end of their bench. As far as Gordon's contract is concerned, Charlotte has made it common knowledge that they're looking to trade his massive expiring contract to acquire some talent for a playoff push. While they might not take back the entire $13 million, they're probably taking back at least $5-8 million in order to acquire an impact player, which, unless it's another expiring contract, will carry over into next season. As for Sessions' $5 million, regardless of whether or not they wish to resign him (which, it appears, they do not), they will still need to sign another back-up point guard, which is going to take up at least around $3 million or so. Even if they drafted a point guard, unless its one of the top PG's of the draft (not likely, as Detroit's pick is protected 1-10 and they won't have their own if they make the playoffs), Jordan's win-now mentality would dictate that they sign a more experienced backup as an insurance policy. So, when you consider the fact that they'll at least need to replace the vet's minimum contracts they currently have to fill out their bench and the cap holds for their draft picks (approx. $1 million for Portland's pick and $2-4 million for Detroit's), they'll probably only have around $4-10 million in cap space for next summer. This makes the Amir for a Portland's pick + an expiring trade seem a little more likely as he'd help out in the near term, and if he's a great fit, they could keep him. If not, his contract next year isn't fully guaranteed anyways and they could also send him along to another team. Then again, this was just an alternative to my first trade proposal and is just fan speculation anyways.

As far as Philly goes, I actually wrote almost the exact same thing in another trade thread lol. I just think Amir's a lot more expendable now with some of the other bigs we've picked up and I haven't been very happy with his performance this year anyways. That, and I think Young would be a great fit here and he IS potentially available.

Comment

Working...
              X