No announcement yet.

Ryan Anderson on the block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morris would create the same issues Scola creates in the starting line up.. neither are threats from deep. Unless we trade DD we're going to have to get a PF that can space the floor. Anderson can't defend but he's a better player then 2Pat and is an expiring contract which helps in the chase for KD.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
      Numbers aren't much better at all, Morris has never impressed, even in previous years. He's incredibly inefficient for a big man and doesn't rebound well. His only good year was 2013-14 (and it wasn't even that good, 14 pts 6 reb little else), every other year he's been shitty. So he was good 1 out of 5 seasons, and has been bad for two seasons straight, hitting a new level of terrible this year. Of all players to target in the NBA, Morris is literally at the bottom of my list.
      Fair enough. I'm not saying Morris is leaps and bounds better, but I do think he is better than this current version of PP. I do consider him to be a tougher player and better defensively though neither guys is lockdown. What I like about him the most is the consistency and chip on the shoulder attitude he brings. I thinkt the Raptors could use a bit more toughness on the court.

Comment

tDotted wrote: View Post
        Do you only look at raw FG%? He was one of the top PFs in the league in defensive RPM last season. Also 7th in RPM wins among PFs. But that FG%. Oh my.

None of you guys want Ryan Anderson's defense on this team. I know that for a fact lol
        No one wants Kyle Korver for his D either. But both can be serviceable as team defenders if they're the only bad defender on the floor. It's not like Morris is a lockdown defender or anything.

RPM is also a garbage stat. Doesn't pass the smell test at all. DanH has been crapping all over it somewhere around here today.

Generally +/- stats are bad, and can be even worse(more useless) when comparing players from different teams.

To me, I like the Korver comparison in terms of player type because it lets me frame it like this: If you had a choice, would you take a Monta Ellis or a Kyle Korver? Ellis can do more than Korver and is more talented, but if I wanted a piece to help me win and help play a winning brand of basketball, I'd take Korver every time.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
          I'm normally a no shit heads kinda guy, it's practically my golden rule.

That being said, he got ROYALLY screwed over in PHX.

He reacted terribly, and his on court production is a red flag, but the upside on the deal he was given could provide above average production at a below average cost for the next 4 years.

I still believe in my character over talent as a general rule, but as a GM I think it would give me pause.
          No, he really didn't. He got paid a lot of money to be a starter and his brother got paid a lot of money to come off the bench. They then started getting a ton of technical and Marcus publically fought with the coach on the sidelines. Can't really blame the team for wanting to trade a player who embarrassed them and was clearly not working well with the coach.

Are we really going to rehash acquiring a player that was hotly debated in the summer (47 pages before locked down) when that player is having their career worst year?
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            No one wants Kyle Korver for his D either. But both can be serviceable as team defenders if they're the only bad defender on the floor. It's not like Morris is a lockdown defender or anything.

RPM is also a garbage stat. Doesn't pass the smell test at all. DanH has been crapping all over it somewhere around here today.

Generally +/- stats are bad, and can be even worse(more useless) when comparing players from different teams.

To me, I like the Korver comparison in terms of player type because it lets me frame it like this: If you had a choice, would you take a Monta Ellis or a Kyle Korver? Ellis can do more than Korver and is more talented, but if I wanted a piece to help me win and help play a winning brand of basketball, I'd take Korver every time.
            Korver is really not a good comparison at all. The last time Anderson wasn't a net negative on defense was when he was playing with Van Gundy. Korver's been one of the best shot blocking shooting guards in the league the past couple of seasons.. In fact, he's been blocking more shots than the big man Ryan Anderson the past 4 seasons.

Nobody "wants" Korver for his D because his offence is just that good. Nobody wants Anderson for his D because.. well what else does he give you?

I'd compare Markieff to Afflalo and Anderson to Kevin Martin.

Comment

Korver is really not a good comparison at all. The last time Anderson wasn't a net negative on defense was when he was playing with Van Gundy. Korver's been one of the best shot blocking shooting guards in the league the past couple of seasons.. In fact, he's been blocking more shots than the big man Ryan Anderson the past 4 seasons.

Nobody "wants" Korver for his D because his offence is just that good. Nobody wants Anderson for his D because.. well what else does he give you?

I'd compare Markieff to Afflalo and Anderson to Kevin Martin.
              Oh god, so now you're building up Korver's D?

Korver has been a terrible defensive player his whole career, just like Anderson. You know why Korver could never stick as a starter? His defence. That was until he got to Atlanta, partly because they lacked other options and partly because Bud runs a system that makes good enough use of him. He even struggled in Thibs' system (which requires a bit more individual ability).

They're very similar players in terms of what they bring to the table. I think it's a pretty good comparison. And using Korver's blocks as an argument for why it's not is pretty weak. The regular gameplan pre-Atlanta Korver was that whatever team he was on, whatever team they were playing, whenever he was on the court the opponent would consistently attack that matchup and expose him. Neither player has ever been a positive defensively, no matter what any random number might tell you.

Comment

Not sold on Ryan Anderson defensively and I feel like he is athletically limited.

An interesting stretch PF target would be Marvin Williams - who has quietly and steadily turned himself into an excellent 3-PT shooter and a very capable defender. Really hard to believe, as he came into the league as more of a raw uber-athlete type with really low BBIQ. I think he's in the last year of his contract and is only 29, though it seems like he's been in the league forever. His 3-pt shot was like, Demar bad, but he is proof that anybody can improve their shooting by putting in the work. He should be still athletic enough to guard bigger SFs like Melo, PG, Melo which is a plus and now strong enough to guard most PFs. Good wingspan, too.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...willima02.html

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                  Not sold on Ryan Anderson defensively and I feel like he is athletically limited.

An interesting stretch PF target would be Marvin Williams - who has quietly and steadily turned himself into an excellent 3-PT shooter and a very capable defender. Really hard to believe, as he came into the league as more of a raw uber-athlete type with really low BBIQ. I think he's in the last year of his contract and is only 29, though it seems like he's been in the league forever. His 3-pt shot was like, Demar bad, but he is proof that anybody can improve their shooting by putting in the work. He should be still athletic enough to guard bigger SFs like Melo, PG, Melo which is a plus and now strong enough to guard most PFs. Good wingspan, too.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...willima02.html
                  I like MArvin, still dont trust him entirely though.

But he has been Damn solid this year.

Comment

Oh god, so now you're building up Korver's D?

Korver has been a terrible defensive player his whole career, just like Anderson. You know why Korver could never stick as a starter? His defence. That was until he got to Atlanta, partly because they lacked other options and partly because Bud runs a system that makes good enough use of him. He even struggled in Thibs' system (which requires a bit more individual ability).

They're very similar players in terms of what they bring to the table. I think it's a pretty good comparison. And using Korver's blocks as an argument for why it's not is pretty weak. The regular gameplan pre-Atlanta Korver was that whatever team he was on, whatever team they were playing, whenever he was on the court the opponent would consistently attack that matchup and expose him. Neither player has ever been a positive defensively, no matter what any random number might tell you.
                    That seems like a pretty cool strategy, unfortunately it didn't seem to be working most of the time. Korver's opponents have been scoring worse with him on the court for 5 of his 8 seasons not with Atlanta.. compared to Anderson's 0 of 5 seasons not with Orlando.

Unless on/off is random, coincidentally based number.

Comment

That seems like a pretty cool strategy, unfortunately it didn't seem to be working most of the time. Korver's opponents have been scoring worse with him on the court for 5 of his 8 seasons not with Atlanta.. compared to Anderson's 0 of 5 seasons not with Orlando.

Unless on/off is random, coincidentally based number.
                      It is without context. Those numbers are because pre-Atlanta he'd play more against worse lineups. He was largely a bench player and you'd still see him being hidden on other team's bench players. Anything to diminish how much he could hurt you defensively.

I don't know how you've come to think that Korver is anything but a terrible defender.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know how you've come to think that Korver is anything but a terrible defender.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                        Wasn't that long ago really..

Ever since then, I knew he could lock down anybody in the league.

But back to Anderson..... no thanks. Team struggles enough on D already.

Comment

Wasn't that long ago really..

Ever since then, I knew he could lock down anybody in the league.

But back to Anderson..... no thanks. Team struggles enough on D already.
                          Don't think they'd struggle with him more than with Patterson. And he's always been a reliable shooter.

I don't see Morris as a solution to anything, so if there is some discussion as to who'd be best to have out of the three options, I'd have to go with Anderson every time.

Comment

I much rather Masai take the gamble on M.Morris than get Anderson.. Anderson and JV frontcourt will be marshmallows..and toooooo slow .If M Morris atleast performs slightly better than what PP is doing now then we certainly came out ontop. He has some edge to him n could be a good piece in the end , Change of scenery is always good... But no to Anderson. He's a bench player IMO

Comment

Ryan Anderson is a treadmill move

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                                Ryan Anderson is a treadmill move
                                He's an expiring contract.. so could help remove some cap off the books (like Ross or Patterson) for example.

I wouldn't want to resign him.

Comment

Working...
                                X