Gortat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gortat

Is there any chance the Magic will trade Gortat for the exception?
    Anybody heard of any rumor that the Magic wants to clear cap space to make a run at an FA in 2011?

Just lookin at Gortats numbers and it really looks like he'll have good numbers if he gets the minutes. 5pts/5rebs/1blk in 18mins.

Would be good beside Bargs, young too and can run with Demar and Sonny....

tbihis wrote: View Post
    Is there any chance the Magic will trade Gortat for the exception?
    Anybody heard of any rumor that the Magic wants to clear cap space to make a run at an FA in 2011?

Just lookin at Gortats numbers and it really looks like he'll have good numbers if he gets the minutes. 5pts/5rebs/1blk in 18mins.

Would be good beside Bargs, young too and can run with Demar and Sonny....
    Personally, I think he'd be good INSTEAD of Bargnani. I've been talking about getting him for a while, but if they'd get him simply to play beside Bargnani, then it's a mistake. FIrst of all, Bargnani's not a PF. Do you want him defending quicker PFs? Secondly, what happens to Amir and Davis? Also, I don't really think they should be in a hurry to do any big moves until the end of the season. Do you really want to try and win 5 more games just to go from 25 to 30 wins? All that would do is drop the Raptors in the lottery a spot or two. If the situation presents itself and there's an offer too good to pass on, then go for it, but otherwise, there's no point in making any big moves unless it's to pick up another draft pick.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Well said Tim, I like Gortats game too but you make a great point in that I don't really want Bargs guarding other pf's. Plus, I think the lockout is going to shake things up, and we might be able to get a better player and a better rate.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        Personally, I think he'd be good INSTEAD of Bargnani. I've been talking about getting him for a while, but if they'd get him simply to play beside Bargnani, then it's a mistake. FIrst of all, Bargnani's not a PF. Do you want him defending quicker PFs? Secondly, what happens to Amir and Davis? Also, I don't really think they should be in a hurry to do any big moves until the end of the season. Do you really want to try and win 5 more games just to go from 25 to 30 wins? All that would do is drop the Raptors in the lottery a spot or two. If the situation presents itself and there's an offer too good to pass on, then go for it, but otherwise, there's no point in making any big moves unless it's to pick up another draft pick.
        Bargnani is a PF.

Comment

Completely agree.

And to top it off, there's no way the Magic trade Gortat. He's far too valuable come playoff time for backing up Howard (who is often in foul trouble) and he can be inserted to counter hack-a-dwight. The Magic would want to get a legit backup center and/or a wing with good playmaking skills for him. Otherwise what incentive do they have?

Now that being said, if they get hit by the injury bug before the all-star break then all bets are off.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
            Bargnani is a PF.
            Perhaps something to back up your argument rather than just a statement. You might as well have said that Bargnani is a SG.

As for my argument...

His ONLY strength on defense is defending big post players, which generally means the opposing team's center. He struggles defensively against quicker big men, especially PFs, and is a poor defender on offensive players who face the basket. Again, that's a lot of PFs.

On offense, he's only got a quickness advantage against centers, as quicker PFs tend to be able to keep him in front of him, which completely limits his offense. He's not a good post player, shooting a fairly low percentage in the post, and because he usually fades away, he generally isn't able to take advantage of his height advantage. He doesn't get to the line at a high rate, but gets to the line best when being defended by centers, Spencer Hawes, for example. Against quicker defenders, like the Washington front line, he has trouble.

And anyone that has followed basketball knows that the centers can be perimeter players, like Okur, Channing or going back to Laimbeer, so the argument that he is a PF because he shoots the three makes absolutely no sense. In the NBA, about the only difference between a PF and a center is who you defend on the other team. You don't even need to be the anchor of the defense to be a center. Josh Smith is the anchor of Atlanta's defense, leading the league in blocked shots. Serge Ibaka is the defensive anchor for Oklahoma City when he comes on the floor, and he's a PF. Andre Kirilenko is a SF, yet Utah's defense revolves around him.

So what's your argument?
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Ok now I know basket it's not your sport!

The Raptors would be losing even more matches if this team would have had Howard instead of Bargnani...and you would prefer to have ...freakin' Gotart?????

C'mon really I have enough of this crap, Bargnani is playing as a center for only 2 years and this one it's the first year ( weeks) as a main man ....are you all so freakin' serious?????
              this team is bloody lost if Bargnani has a bad day ( Wizards ) and you will trade him for freakin ' Gotart????????

Go back to follow the curling tournaments mate!!!

Comment

Gortat for Johnson? I would actually think about that. But I probably wouldn't go through with it

Comment

footie wrote: View Post
                  Ok now I know basket it's not your sport!

The Raptors would be losing even more matches if this team would have had Howard instead of Bargnani...and you would prefer to have ...freakin' Gotart?????

C'mon really I have enough of this crap, Bargnani is playing as a center for only 2 years and this one it's the first year ( weeks) as a main man ....are you all so freakin' serious?????
                  this team is bloody lost if Bargnani has a bad day ( Wizards ) and you will trade him for freakin ' Gotart????????

Go back to follow the curling tournaments mate!!!
                  Well, basketball is the only sport I follow, and I've been doing it for more than 25 years, actually.

And you think that the team would be in a worse position with Dwight Howard than Andrea Bargnani? Are you kidding me? I don't know what to say about that. You complain about my basketball knowledge and you throw that gem out there?

And Bargnani has been playing center for FOUR YEARS. What is this two years crap? He has played it from the moment he came into the NBA, except for the brief period when Jermaine O'Neal was a Raptor. That's it. They tried to start him permanently at center in his second year, but he struggled so much they had to put Nesterovic back into the starting lineup.

And I actually prefer my center to be able to defend and rebound the ball. Call me crazy.
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Is Bargnani a PF because he doesnt play like a center should or because you genuinely believe that his position ?

Cuz really he plays like a SG than a forward period...Bargs stans always try to make this assinine distinction he should be a PF

but for a PF he still doesnt rebound or defend which youd like your POWER forward to do.....its like a failed attempt to excuse his softness...

Comment

Im not (now) a big fan of Bargs but Gortat INSTEAD of Bargnani is ludicrous. Not even comparable. Bargnani is a scorer who can win games for you, Gortat is right now, at best, a 6th or 7th scoring option. What he'll do for you is rebound, putbacks and clog the paint. A wide body in the middle, and thats what the Raps are lacking. And Bargnani is totally a PF. At least thats how he started in the euroleague until the Raps decided to change him into a C to play alongside Bosh. Amir is a back-up, he can back-up either positions. Davis is, well, way behind so i dont think he should be getting any major minutes soon. Ive seen Bargs guard the 4 spot. He gave Brand a hard time during the Philly game, shot block on Jefferson, limited Bosh to 12 in Miami....i think he's better of guarding the PF coz most PFs now stay in the perimeter.

And how did you come up with 5 more wins? espn trade machine? not sure why you guys are all crazy about the draft. like i said before, im not a procrastinator and neither should the Raps, think of winning now, rather than trying to hit the lotto in the draft. Here, see what experts are saying about the 2011 draft.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...hebuzzer111210
                      http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ou-shouldnt-be
                      Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Fri Nov 19, 2010, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Worst mistake fans make is taking a players numbers in limited mins and projecting them to be the same over 30-35 mins...

Tis a fools errand to be sure...

Comment

"Bargnani is a scorer who can win games for you"

Which games has he won ?

Comment

Trife76 wrote: View Post
                            "Bargnani is a scorer who can win games for you"

Which games has he won ?
                            2 in a row. But not him alone, only very few players win games single-handed.

Comment

Working...
                            X