Troy Murphy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troy Murphy

Seems Troy Murphy has already asked for a trade from the Nets.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...sed_from_nets/

Might be a good acquisition for the Raps, double digit rebounder, presence in the paint, mentor for Bargs, expiring contract.

Maybe use the TPE or Kleiza and Barbo.

Any thoughts?

FIrst Kaman, now Murphy? I'm guessing you don't actually watch these players much. Or maybe you just don't care about defense. At least you weren't the one who suggesting picking up Al Harrington.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Pass. I'd rather have Davis and Johnson play those minutes.

Comment

What? As a rental or to re-sign long term. Neither I am afraid makes sense in terms of this team's development.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          FIrst Kaman, now Murphy? I'm guessing you don't actually watch these players much. Or maybe you just don't care about defense. At least you weren't the one who suggesting picking up Al Harrington.
          Kaman is 15-10 guy with a blk per 30mins.
          Murphy was 15-10 last year with almost a blk per game.

Comment

ya, we need more whiteys.

i'm not even saying that sarcastically.

i've been dreaming of a white-out lineup for AGES

Comment

I hope to goodness that Colangelo doesn't use that TPE to acquire someone for this season to improve this team - we're not making the playoffs, so why not just try to get the best draft pick as possible?

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                I hope to goodness that Colangelo doesn't use that TPE to acquire someone for this season to improve this team - we're not making the playoffs, so why not just try to get the best draft pick as possible?
                probably would be better to use the TPE on Murphy coz his contract expires this year, so he'll be off the books this summer.
                Im not sure how the TPE works, but wouldnt it be better if we have actual cap space rather than the TPE?

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                  probably would be better to use the TPE on Murphy coz his contract expires this year, so he'll be off the books this summer.
                  Im not sure how the TPE works, but wouldnt it be better if we have actual cap space rather than the TPE?
                  Much better to have Cap Space in the long run. Now mind you, that 14mil TPE can be used at anytime to acquire any player(s) that fits into the number, as long as its used no more than 1 YEAR from the initial trade. So its like having 14mil in cap space, but only for a year.

Having an actual 14mil in cap space could very easily turn itself into 6mil though, as many players salaries are on 10% annual increases, and Rookies do cost money as well. So they both have advantages. But basically Cap Space doesn't expire, but it can be widdled down, as the TPE remains at it's initial value until further Contracts are acquired.

So seeing as that TPE is set to expire in a number of months, Cap Space would offer us longer term flexibility.

PS. Should this not be in 'Trades'?

Comment

Basically it's like a cap hold. The Raptors have to use that remaining TPE from the Bosh S & T (now 12.2 million) by July 13. After that, it vanishes. But it's not like it creates extra space. So, if we don't use the 12.2 million, we won't have a 12.2 million to spend someplace else. The problem with using the TPE is that it could very well take us into luxury tax threshold - something this team should not be paying, especially in a losing season.

Comment

Murphy has requested a trade from the nets which puts them in a bad place. He's not even practising with the team at this point, Billy King made that clear in the melo press conference yesterday. Could you pick up Murphy and get one of those picks they have next year? they've got 5 or something. If they could use TPE and Reggie to get murphy and a pick or 2, would that make it worth it?

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
                        Murphy has requested a trade from the nets which puts them in a bad place. He's not even practising with the team at this point, Billy King made that clear in the melo press conference yesterday. Could you pick up Murphy and get one of those picks they have next year? they've got 5 or something. If they could use TPE and Reggie to get murphy and a pick or 2, would that make it worth it?
                        I don't understand how the Nets would benefit from that deal. Why should they throw an expiring and pick for an expiring? It's a loss for them. I'm sure a contending team will step up and try to grab Murphy around the deadline. The Celtics would benefit from having a guy like Murphy on their team, especially with the uncertainty surrounding JO.

Comment

see thats the thing, i think with a TPE, youre more rushed to acquire pieces because the TPE has an expiry date, but with cap space, there's no rush. You have the flexibility to wait for players you really want, and need.

Comment

see thats the thing, i think with a TPE, youre more rushed to acquire pieces because the TPE has an expiry date, but with cap space, there's no rush. You have the flexibility to wait for players you really want, and need.
                            Trading for Murphy doesn't create cap space. Trading for anyone doesn't create cap space unless you're packaging Jose or someone else and getting back another expiring.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                              I don't understand how the Nets would benefit from that deal. Why should they throw an expiring and pick for an expiring? It's a loss for them. I'm sure a contending team will step up and try to grab Murphy around the deadline. The Celtics would benefit from having a guy like Murphy on their team, especially with the uncertainty surrounding JO.
                              would the Celts have pieces that the Nets would want, or even have players that they would be ok to let go to match Murphy's salary?

I think people need to understand that not just because the raps are in a rebuild mode, they should acquire all young players, or pile up all their resources to get ready for the draft and acquire young pieces. you still need vets on your team. vets not just due to age and years in the league, but experienced vets who's been in the playoffs, etc. im not zeroing in on Troy Murphy as a qualified vet, but someone who has been through a lot in the league could be good for a young team like the raps.

Comment

Working...
                              X