Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howard addresses Ric Bucher trade rumours (Dwight to Toronto trade)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard addresses Ric Bucher trade rumours (Dwight to Toronto trade)

ATLANTA – An hour prior to Friday’s Game 3, Orlando’s Dwight Howard playfully confronted an ESPN reporter about the validity of his claims that the superstar center would be traded from the Magic this summer.

Howard wondered aloud to ESPN’s Ric Bucher about his reports in weekly chats that he would be traded by a Magic franchise fearful of losing him in free agency after the 2011-12 season with no compensation in return. Howard can become an unrestricted free agent after next season.

``If I’m getting traded, tell me where I’m going?’’ Howard said. ``Let me call my agent and tell him where I’m going.’’

Bucher said on Friday in an ESPN chat that ``I'm not reporting that Dwight will be traded this summer. I believe he will be based on what I’m hearing. … Anyone saying he categorically doesn’t want to leave Orlando, I have one question for you: Why hasn’t he signed his extension? It makes absolutely no fiscal sense not to with the looming lockout. I don’t care what he says; I care what he does. And what he’s doing is leaving his options open.’’

As he was balking at Bucher’s suggestions that he was following Shaquille O’Neal’s path from Orlando to Los Angeles and questioning the suggestions that he would be open to playing in a big media market such as L.A., New York or Chicago, Howard then shed some light on his thinking about his pending free agency.

``The biggest market of all is outside of the United States,’’ Howard said. ``In today’s NBA you can get anything you want (in terms of endorsements) and you don’t have to play in a big market.’’

``DWIGHT OUT:’’ The Hawks promoted Friday’s Game 3 as a ``White Out’’ as they handed out white T-shirts to all of the fans in Philips Arena. That prompted some television and radio stations in the Atlanta area to playfully call it a ``Dwight Out,’’ referring to Howard, who grew up in Atlanta and starred at Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy.

Howard laughed at the promotion and thought it would an honor to have his first name splattered across the front of 20,000 T-shirts in one building. Howard said he’s learned through the years to take the attention as a compliment.

``What did Wilt (Chamberlain) say: `Everybody hates Goliath?’’’ Howard said. ``I remember that year in Toronto where they were chanting, `Howwwwwwww-ard.’ It was a loud as I’ve ever heard it. I had to find a way to turn that into a positive because they were so loud.’’

The Hawks also continue to show a video featuring clips from the Superman movies from the 1980s. They show Superman in various compromising positions and getting whipped by villains. The Hawks debuted the video during the playoffs last season and continued to show it during the regular season and again on Friday.

``I was glad they showed it last year because I was mad about fouls and it was funny and it made me laugh,’’ Howard said. ``But at the end of the (Superman) movies, who won out? Superman, that’s right.’’
    Dwight to Toronto! (S-A-R-C-A-S-M)

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3vo3ukr

Toronto's 2011 and 2013 first round draft picks to ORL.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Apr 23, 2011, 10:28 AM.

I agree it's a dream but the attached trade would make me happy if I was Orlando especially if they truly feel they will lose Howard.

Comment

On second thought.... cut the S-A-R-C-A-S-M.

I went for an awesome hike today and had some time to think. I originally posted this as a joke because for Raptors fans, the ultimate would be a guy like Howard to pair with Bargnani.

Before the justification, think about Cleveland and Toronto last year. Now think about Carmelo this year ensuring Denver got value for him and he got to go where he wanted (NY). Now think about Utah not wanting to be the next small market team in every rumour for their franchise player leaving. Now consider the endless rumours and speculation that has been surrounding Howard for a year and is only getting louder since the Carmelo and D-Will trades.

Orlando's situation is not pretty. They are paying $89M on payroll this season (do not forget they are $19M over the cap so their true payroll is $108M). That $89M is looking very much like a colossal waste of money considering a team they swept last season in embarassing fashion is looking like they could win the series (Hawks up 2-1).

They have $74.8M tied up in salary next season (2011-2012) and this is their lineup:
      PG: Nelson, Arenas, Duhon
      SG: Redick, Q. Richardson
      SF: Turkoglu, Clark
      PF: Anderson, Bass
      C: Howard, Orton
      Take Howard out of that line up and they are one of the worst defensive teams in the league. Also consider that Turkoglu and Arenas have the two worst contracts in the league with 3 years and $30-35M per season tied up in them. If I was Howard, I'm not sure I'd want to go through my prime years with those two contracts either, however, I would still like to get my contract before the new CBA.

Ric Bucher and ESPN are often guilty of reporting rumours rather than fact but the reality is Bucher's comments:
      Anyone saying he categorically doesn’t want to leave Orlando, I have one question for you: Why hasn’t he signed his extension? It makes absolutely no fiscal sense not to with the looming lockout. I don’t care what he says; I care what he does. And what he’s doing is leaving his options open.
      are 100% correct. The Raptors and Cavs have the dubious distinction of being the test subject for stars refusing to sign extensions. The refusal speaks volumes as it creates stability for the franchise and the player (in terms of media coverage and financially speaking).

We all know what Toronto and Cleveland got for their players: very little.

The Nuggets, in making a trade under duress, still managed to obtain Felton, Gallinari, Mosgov, Chandler, 1st round pick in 2014, two 2nd round picks in 2012 and 2013, plus a huge TPE for Anthony.

The Jazz got last year's number 3 pick in 19 year old Favors, a former all star PG in Harris, and 2 first round picks (2011 NJ and 2012 GSW) for Williams.

What could Orlando get for being proactive?

The media keeps reporting that he wants to go to NY, LA, or CHI as they are the 3 big market teams. When looking around the league, what teams could offer anything of significance for Howard (keep in mind, ORL will never get anything close to equal value).

Chicago: Noah, Gibson, 2011 Heat 1st round pick, 2011 Chicago 1st round pick, 2012 Charlotte 1st round pick (protected until 2016).
      This does not make Orlando any better now. It does not allow them much chance to get better in the future than they currently are. Very little financial relief.

NYK: Impossible.
      No draft picks, no players outside Carmelo and Amar'e.

NJ: Lopez, 2011 LAL 1st round pick, 2012 Houston 1st round pick (lottery protected) or 2012 NJ 1st round pick, 2014 NJ 1st round pick - deal would have to be done after July 1st but then in new CBA where might not be possible.
      With Nets moving to Brooklyn, that would be a big market and Williams would be with him. However, the rest of the roster would look like a food bank after Christmas.

LAL: Bynum, 2013 1st round pick, four 2011 2nd round picks (MIA, NYK, GSW, LAL), two 2012 2nd round picks (CHI and LAL).
      If ORL can't make it out of the 1st or 2nd round with Howard, no chance with Bynum. Plus does Howard want to continue the Shaq comparison? No financial relief for ORL either.

LAC: Kaman, Aminu, two 2011 2nd round picks (DET and HOU), 2013 1st round pick (cannot trade 2012 MIN pick because they traded 2011 to CLE and 2012 to BOS).
      I don't think this is appealing to ORL - very little talent received relative to what is being given up and very little financial relief.

Those are the 'big market teams'. What about the rest of the league since his comments were refreshing about not needing a large market (although I doubt the sincerity but I digress):

ATL: a deal centered around Josh Smith? No.
      BOS: nope - even with LAC 2012 pick.
      CHA: next.
      DAL: Something could work out with salaries but nothing of real value for ORL.
      DEN: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3hau635 1st round pick, 2nd round picks (GSW)
      DET: no.
      GSW: unless Ellis, Udoh, and 2nd round picks is what they are looking for.
      HOU: no star players + no high lottery picks = no deal
      IND: hard to fathom
      MEM: no
      MIA: Think the Flames and Oilers would ever make a trade?
      MIL: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3zcr5y8 plus 2011 1st round pick. Financial relief? would Howard resign in MIL? ORL get better? all no's... next.
      MIN: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3gqa8xb plus 2011 1st round pick. I don't think so - no financial relief and not a better team moving forward.
      NOH: Nothing to offer outside Okafor and Ariza. No draft picks either. No deal.
      OKC: Nope - unless Westbrook or Durant are included.
      PHI: negative.
      PHX: not going to happen.
      POR: unlikely.
      SAS: Nope.
      UTA: Nothing that makes ORL better or saves money so no.
      WSH: Nothing that will work until after July 1st.

So if Howard is to get his big extension before the new CBA and get out of ORL and ORL wants to get anything of value for him, these are the deals that I think would be feasible from ORL point of view (if Howard would extend, that is another story):

CLE: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3blf2ac plus two 2011 1st round picks (CLE and LAC) and 2012 1st round pick (CLE).
      ORL saves $11M in salary, gets a couple of decent players, and 3 draft picks - 2 of which are lottery this year. CLE looks like this next year:

PG: Davis, Sessions
      SG: Nelson, Eyenga
      SF: Graham, Graham
      PF: Samuels, Jamison, Harongody
      C: Howard, Erden

SAC: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3pktt6q plus 2011/2013 1st round picks, 2011/2012 2nd round picks for
      Orl saves $12M, a promising beast in Cousins, a servicable C, a promising wing, an expiring contract next year and servicable wing in Garcia, a top 5 lottery pick this year, and other draft picks. SAC looks like this:

PG: Evans, Udrih
      SG: Nelson
      SF: Greene
      PF: Whiteside
      C: Howard

TOR: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3vo3ukr plus 2011/2013 first round picks.
      This is the hardest to do because it is a 4 team trade. However, lets go through the rationale for sh!ts and giggles, no matter how unlikely:

TOR: If I have to explain this, go to another forum (jk). This is TOR lineup:
      PG: Nelson, Bayless
      SG: Ellington, Barbosa, Cook
      SF: JJ, Jones, Kleiza
      PF: Bargnani, Amir, Evans/Dorsey?
      C: Howard,

Toronto would have $54M in salary. Would be able to offering qualifying offer to Dorsey as 4th big. Under current CBA, Evans could be resigned with Bird rights. Sign Daequan Cook and James Jones to minimum deals.

ORL: saves $17M in salaries next year, gets a better PG, possible 20PPG SG, double/double PF, top 5 lottery pick this year (Kanter?). Felton is also an expiring so they get out of the last year of Nelson's contract.

MIN: Calderon (Babcock, Martin, Rubio) provides verteran leadership.

DEN: gets a PF to stick beside Nene, back up PG with potential in Flynn, Ujiri reconnects with Alabi, and Hayward is cap filler for essentially Felton who wants to be traded if he is not starting.

Why Howard might sign in TOR?
      4th largest market in North America and largest if you consider the country of Canada.
      Great pairing with Bargnani - both are entering prime of careers at 25 years of age.
      Good big man rotation (Bargnani, Howard, Amir, possibly Evans/Dorsey)
      This team might actually be better than ORL next year and alternatives of SAC and CLE.

Anyways.... I think the probability of this is next to none, however, looking around the league this might be ORL's best option - Howard's too to get his big extension.

Once this was done, hire Rick Adelman.

I end with - if you can dream it, you can do it. LOL
      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Apr 23, 2011, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Holy Crap, Matt, how long did it take you to come up with all of this. That's a lot of work and research.

Orlando does seem screwed though. Without Howard they are crap - probably worse than the Raps. They haven't done a good job of building around Howard. How are they going to improve their team to win a Championship? I don't know. I think that Howard is as good as gone as soon as his contract expires.
        Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
          Holy Crap, Matt, how long did it take you to come up with all of this. That's a lot of work and research.

Orlando does seem screwed though. Without Howard they are crap - probably worse than the Raps. They haven't done a good job of building around Howard. How are they going to improve their team to win a Championship? I don't know. I think that Howard is as good as gone as soon as his contract expires.
          Something about numbers, years, players, and teams I remember very well. It took about an hour or so. The research is pretty straightforward with the proper sites:

Draft picks: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dra...rafts/detailed
          Free agents: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18192
          Team salaries: http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm
          Trade machine: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Orlando (Otis Smith GM) seemed to get too creative trying to surround Dwight with a winning team. They swung for the fences and of course struck out (or at least it would appear). It is not unlike what happened in TOR and CLE. In their desparation to satisfy Dwight, they now have themselves boxed in with Arenas' and Turkoglu's contracts along with overpaid JJ Redick and players who should be on a minimum contracts, year to year in Duhon and Richardson but instead are on the books for 4 years.

In all seriousness though, I started this as a joke but, the more I thought about it, it seems at least plausible. Compared to what other teams can offer, TOR could give them 2 of the top players in each of the last 2 drafts and a top pick this year, and financial relief. Of course, other teams would be needed but for those mocking the corporate line of acquiring assets, that is what BOS did to get to where they are.

Soimething else to consider is they would still have their 2012 draft pick because you cannot trade 1st round draft pick 2 years in a row.
          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Apr 23, 2011, 06:07 PM.

Comment

If you have not noticed, I have a little bit of brain freeze going on here.

If a hardcap was brought in, Apollo listed some likely scenarios HERE.

The idea of a hard salary cap in the high $60M range seems very fair to both players and owners (in my opinion). Most teams already spend this much anyways (22 of 30 teams spend $64M or more and, even though there is a hardcap, keep in mind the only money spent over $58M (soft salary cap) is through exceptions.

Now imagine (yes, I know it would take imagination) if there was a hardcap set at $68M. That would give the Raps an addition $14M to spend AFTER this trade. This is where the Raps take a run at Afflalo or Chandler for starting SG ($6M), JR Smith at SF($4M), and Jones to round out the wings and Dorsey/Foster at PF/C on all minimum contracts to round out the third string.

Anyways, if all that came to pass, I would not bat an eye at trading 'the core' for this:

PG: Nelson, Bayless
            SG: Chandler/Afflalo, Barbosa, Ellington
            SF: JR Smith, J.Johnson, Jones, Kleiza
            PF: Bargnani, Amir, Dorsey
            C: Howard, Foster

Yeeeeeeeeah boy! Dream is over. I have totally beat this to a dead horse.
            Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Apr 23, 2011, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Great job Matt! My concern with getting someone like Howard is that once his contract ends he could still sign elsewhere as a free agent. We would be losing a lot of assets for a potential of holding on to Howard. That dream could turn into a nightmare.

Comment

if only we still had bosh spice this would be viable lol

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Great job Matt! My concern with getting someone like Howard is that once his contract ends he could still sign elsewhere as a free agent. We would be losing a lot of assets for a potential of holding on to Howard. That dream could turn into a nightmare.
                  The extension would have to be signed beforehand. If this was done and he bolted, wow, that would be worse than repeated kicks in the mini-Matt52's.

This is essentially the situation NJ are in - they gave away everything for Deron Williams and he has not signed an extension. To make matters worse, they have little ability to add to the roster outside free agency.

Comment

Can't get it off my mind tonight.

Trying to find a way to get Orlando under the current (soon to be old) salary cap of $58M. This is what I came up with:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3cphc9s

TOR: Howard, Redick, Hayward
                    ORL: Felton, DeRozan, Davis, Flynn, Raps 2011/2013 1st round picks
                    MIN: Calderon
                    DEN: Nelson, Bass, Ellington, Alabi

Rationale:

TOR: Howard and Redick are solid defenders. Howard and Bargnani are like Twins (Arnold and DeVito).

ORL: better PG in Felton, 20ppg prospect in DD, double/double in ED, promising PG in Flynn to back up and possibly start when Felton expires, lottery pick to possibly draft ?Kanter?, saves $20M and gets ORL under current (soon to be old) salary cap of $58M by $4M i.e. payroll of $54M next year.

MIN: Calderon - veteran leadership and Babcock, Martin, Rubio connections.

DEN: veteran PG to back up Lawson, PF as they have only Harrington next year, back up SG, roster filler/project in Alab. Leaves DEN with 13 roster spots filled and a boat load of money to hit the FA market to re-sign Afflalo and one more .

Raps have $53.8M committed to salary. $4M to JR Smith, $2M to Barea, $3M to Evans, minimum Foster/Ajinca/Cook/Jones to Imagining hardcap of $68M, Raptors lineup with total payroll of around $66M:

PG: Bayless, J.J. Barea
                    SG: Redick, Barbosa, Cook
                    SF: J. Johnson, JR Smith, Jones, Kleiza
                    PF: Bargnani, Amir, Evans
                    C: Howard, Foster, Ajinca

Now here is the real kicker: with this lineup the Raps would then have Bayless and Barbosa ($10.6M) coming off the books for summer 2012. Do you know who is free agents in 2012? Nash, Paul, Williams.

Now that is a dream. And I really am done now.
                    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Apr 25, 2011, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Those are some really interesting scenarios you brought up, and they all seem possible.

Ultimately, I think Chris Paul and Dwight will somehow manage to join forces through free agency, not sure which team, but that would be my guess. Maybe Charlotte (don't laugh lol) I read a recent article in which Chris Paul said he would love to play for Michael Jordan given the opportunity, calling him his mentor. Dwight led the Magic to 52 wins playing with Jameer Nelson, if he was teamed up with Paul that would be a scary team.
                      Last edited by Tank; Sat Apr 23, 2011, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Tank wrote: View Post
                        Those are some really interesting scenarios you brought up, and they all seem possible.

Ultimately, I think Chris Paul and Dwight will somehow manage to join forces through free agency, not sure which team, but that would be my guess. Maybe Charlotte (don't laugh lol) I read a recent article in which Chris Paul said he would love to play for Michael Jordan given the opportunity, calling him his mentor. Dwight led the Magic to 52 wins playing with Jameer Nelson, if he was teamed up with Paul that would be a scary team.
                        Man, if you haven't laughed at my proposals, there is no way I can or will laugh at your's! lol

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Man, if you haven't laughed at my proposals, there is no way I can or will laugh at your's! lol
                          Oh don't worry, I still laughed.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            TOR: Howard and Redick are solid defenders.
                            I almost spilt my pepsi.

http://www.sportspickle.com/video/52...-defense-again

Comment

I'm confused... he gets crossed over and falls down once and he is a bad defender? The guy sat on the bench for 2 years under SVG and only got to play when he could stop his man. His opponents PER is 11.7 which is an extremely good indicator of what he can do. OPP PER is not the be all and end all but it certainly gives a good indication. I thought it was common knowledge of his stellar improvements on defense and now reputation as a solid defender.

Comment

Working...
                              X