No announcement yet.

Rondo on the block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you'd have to do Calderon, 2012 1st, Ed Davis. That would likely be enough. I don't think a 2013 pick has much appeal. Now, if you could swing a 2012 first rounder for some combination of Barbosa/Johnson/Demar, then you could give up a 2012 first.

Thing is, I don't think Rondo is a great fit with the lineup as it stands. Rondo needs to be surrounded by quality shooters on the wings or he is ineffective. The Raptors would need to find a shooter at the SF and would have to consider whether Derozan and Rondo could play together. They might have to move Demar for a more complimentary piece at SG.

The problem as I see it is this: if you make this move you are trying to win next year and that means that you need another all-star piece besides Rondo and Bargs. I don't think the Raptors have the assets to get that third guy. If you're putting those 2 with two rookies, you're creating an unbalanced lineup that isn't likely to win much.

Even so, Colangelo needs to take a run at this. Guys like Rondo aren't that easy to find.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      I used to be high on Rondo but when I read the reason why the Celtics are looking to get rid of him I changed my view on the guy. The Raptors are trying to build this team the right way. If Rondo were here he would be expected to be leader. How can you have a leader who constantly is challenging the coach staff? It would undermine the whole effort taking place right now.

Additionally you need to consider the fact that the Celtics were trying to land CP3 for Rondo earlier in the season. It sounds like the Celtics have a high price tag on Rondo.

This isn't worth it and I don't think Colangelo will be interested.
      u also got to remember that Danny Ainge has been screwin with this team hard... first he trades Perkins without consulting anyone... i mean do u think that Rivers,KG,Allen,pierce would think that Green would give them more then Perkins???? NO... they all were pissed off
      then he trys to trade rondo all the while hes telling rondo that hes not shopping him even though its clear that he is...

i can understand rondos frustration... Ainge killed there title hopes & now hes killing the team
      Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Thu Mar 1, 2012, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I used to be high on Rondo but when I read the reason why the Celtics are looking to get rid of him I changed my view on the guy. The Raptors are trying to build this team the right way. If Rondo were here he would be expected to be leader. How can you have a leader who constantly is challenging the coach staff? It would undermine the whole effort taking place right now.

Additionally you need to consider the fact that the Celtics were trying to land CP3 for Rondo earlier in the season. It sounds like the Celtics have a high price tag on Rondo.

+1

I feel like they are asking for teams to trade a major piece of their rebuild for him
        Ex trade rumor involving Curry and a first rounder for Rondo

And again, he seems head strong and has coaching problems, which is never a good sign, especially if he is supposed to be a leader here.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
          u also got to remember that Danny Ainge has been screwin with this team hard... first he trades Perkins without consulting anyone...
          then he trys to trade rondo all the while hes telling rondo that hes not shopping him even though its clear that he is...

i can understand rondos frustration... Ainge killed there title hopes & now hes killing the team
          First of all the players shouldn't have to be consulted on trades. They're players, it's not their job and they're not qualified to make those decisions.

Second, trade rumors go around all time. How many times have we heard a Bargnani trade rumor? How many times have we heard a Calderon trade rumor? Have you seen either of those guys lock horns with Sam Mitchell, Jay Triano or Dwayne Casey?

Yeah, Rondo might be frustrated for hearing his name in a trade rumor but that's part of the business. He's not special, lots of guys go through that. Lots of players better than him have gone through that. That is no excuse to lash out at the coaching staff. It's unprofessional and detrimental to the team. I want no part of that on a team I cheer for. Not for the price tag.

The Celtics are on the verge of a rebuild so right out of the gate they're going to ask for someone like J.V or the lotto pick plus other goodies.

Comment

I initially shared your thought, because I always thought Rondo was overrated as a result of playing with 3 HOFers, but then these thoughts occurred to me:

1. The primary reason to unload Calderon is to get a second mid-late 1st round pick to target a PG of the future - Rondo would certainly be exactly that, with much more proven track record than any PG in the draft. Plus, salary is roughly even.

2. It is widely agreed that either Davis/Amir needs to be traded, since there definitely won't be sufficient playing time to go around next season. I think Boston would like both players - Amir seems to be the Boston kind of blue collar player, and I think KG would be an ideal mentor for Davis to emulate to become a true defensive anchor for years to come. Including one of them in a deal along with Calderon wouldn't be a huge loss; Calderon & Davis for Rondo would work, Calderon & Amir would need to have junk salary coming back (Wilcox's expiring contract would work).

3. Even if Rondo doesn't mesh well, he's still a valuable commodity that could be traded ahead of the draft, during the offseason or next season. Trading Calderon for Rondo doesn't mean we're stuck with him forever, as I assume he'd still have high trade value once on the Raptors.

4. Adding Valanciunas, Rondo, at least one draft pick (ie: Barnes) and perhaps one decent free agent, would make the Raptors substantially better next season, to the point where I think they would seriously challenge for the playoffs in a weak Eastern conference. I would have no issue with the Raptors giving up their 2013 1st round pick along with Calderon and either Davis/Amir for Rondo.

OPTION #1
            - Calderon, Davis & 2013 1st round pick --> for Rondo

OPTION #2
            - Calderon, Amir & 2013 1st round pick --> for Rondo & Wilcox (expiring)

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

OPTION #1

OPTION #2
              I don't think a 2013 pick gets you Rondo. If it does, you do either of those deals 20 times out of 20, run, and don't look back. Realistically, they're going to have to give up the 2012 first rounder if they want Rondo. That's why I would be all over seeing if they put together a package (maybe including a 2013 pick) for another 2012 first with some team that has multiple picks (NO or Utah). The other option is this, Boston has multiple firsts this year. Maybe a pick swap plus a future first?

Whatever the case, any 2012 pick has to protected at #1 overall cause you can't miss out on Davis if you get lucky enough to get the #1.

Comment

Well considering the fact that the reason they want to get rid of his is because of his personality be high maintenance on such a star studded team? What kind of poison will he bring to this team being an all star?

No thanks!

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                  I don't think a 2013 pick gets you Rondo. If it does, you do either of those deals 20 times out of 20, run, and don't look back. Realistically, they're going to have to give up the 2012 first rounder if they want Rondo. That's why I would be all over seeing if they put together a package (maybe including a 2013 pick) for another 2012 first with some team that has multiple picks (NO or Utah). The other option is this, Boston has multiple firsts this year. Maybe a pick swap plus a future first?

Whatever the case, any 2012 pick has to protected at #1 overall cause you can't miss out on Davis if you get lucky enough to get the #1.
                  I wouldn't trade even a top-6 pick in this year's draft for Rondo, along with Calderon & Davis/Amir, I think that is giving up too much. If we could get another 1st round pick for some combination of Barbosa, Bayless and the 2013 1st round pick, then I'd have no problem giving that pick up.

If it came down to having Calderon & Davis/Amir & a draft pick like Barnes, VS having just Rondo... then I wouldn't trade for Rondo. If I could have Rondo and keep our lottery pick, then I'm all over it for Calderon & Davis/Amir and either a future 1st rounder or a mid-late 1st rounder this year.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    OPTION #1

OPTION #2
                    They wanted CP3 for him earlier in the season. They're going to expect more than that. They're going to ask for J.V. or the 2012 high lotto pick and then on top of that they'll probably ask for some other guys like Ed Davis and James Johnson. Rondo is one of the best PG in the league. They're not going to give the Raptors a sweetheart deal. When have the Raptors ever received a sweetheart deal from anybody?

They'll look at what the Hornets got for Paul and they'll expect something in that ballpark. They might even ask for J.V. and the 2012 pick.

It makes no sense for the Raptors to do such a deal and I am saying this while completely ignoring the questions of Rondo's character which are now out in the open.

Comment

First of all the players shouldn't have to be consulted on trades. They're players, it's not their job and they're not qualified to make those decisions.

Second, trade rumors go around all time. How many times have we heard a Bargnani trade rumor? How many times have we heard a Calderon trade rumor? Have you seen either of those guys lock horns with Sam Mitchell, Jay Triano or Dwayne Casey?

Yeah, Rondo might be frustrated for hearing his name in a trade rumor but that's part of the business. He's not special, lots of guys go through that. Lots of players better than him have gone through that. That is no excuse to lash out at the coaching staff. It's unprofessional and detrimental to the team. I want no part of that on a team I cheer for. Not for the price tag.

The Celtics are on the verge of a rebuild so right out of the gate they're going to ask for someone like J.V or the lotto pick plus other goodies.
                      soo u think the celtics players & coach wouldnt know who are key pieces to there team????
                      i dont agree at all....
                      also its not just that theres trade rumurs... its that ainge isnt being honest with his team...& if your GM was too blind to see that Perkins is more valuable to the team than Jeff Green, then wasnt being honest about trying to trade players when he obviously is,, u wouldnt be upset??? Ainge destroyed that team...Rondo just needs a change at this point...

JV would be an untouchable at this point i think... but our 2012 1st might not be for a deal like this... we could still get another pick by moving an asset like barbosa or klieza... or we could even trade Demar in a package for a player & pick there all kinds of options...to have a PG like Rondo would be worth it...
                      Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Thu Mar 1, 2012, 01:18 PM.

Comment

They wanted CP3 for him earlier in the season. They're going to expect more than that. They're going to ask for J.V. or the 2012 high lotto pick and then on top of that they'll probably ask for some other guys like Ed Davis and James Johnson. Rondo is one of the best PG in the league. They're not going to give the Raptors a sweetheart deal. When have the Raptors ever received a sweetheart deal from anybody?
                        My understanding was that they wanted CP3 for Rondo, but New Orleans laughed at that deal and went with the Lakers' offer and then the Clippers' offer, rather than settle for a package built around Rondo. We've also heard the rumor that Golden State wouldn't trade Curry for Rondo. Boston may aim for the moon, but so far teams haven't given in. I also don't think Ainge's comments are likely to drive up Rondo's trade value, but rather hurt it.

That was sort of the point of my post, that I would do a deal for what I think is fair value. I never said that Boston would definitely go for it or that other teams wouldn't give Boston a better offer. If I was BC, I just wouldn't give up anything more than the offers I posted to get a player that is good but overrated, in addition to apprently being high maintenance.

Comment

They'll look at what the Hornets got for Paul and they'll expect something in that ballpark. They might even ask for J.V. and the 2012 pick.

It makes no sense for the Raptors to do such a deal and I am saying this while completely ignoring the questions of Rondo's character which are now out in the open.
                          if Rondo had the offence that Paul has he get a similar package maybe. the fact is though as good as rondo is paul is better Im sure the rest of the league sees that though..

a team will have to give up a fair amount but not as much as the Paul deal

Comment

It will never happen. He will never come here ever. Close the thread.

Comment

b2kelly wrote: View Post
                              It will never happen. He will never come here ever. Close the thread.
                              wow... your just ooooozzzzzzzing optimism arnt u LOL

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                                we better get barnes here or there is only one shooter on the floor. it would be hilarious to watch how much room other defenses would give a rondo, derozan and mkg back court.
                                Good point about the shooting. Bargnani would be getting doubled every posession knowing that there aren't any other shooters. Balance is something that would be lacking on offense.

Comment

Working...
                                X