Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just pooped a little...

WARNING: Spoiler-y Trailer ... ie basically the whole movie. LOL

I'm SOOOO ready for this movie. As great as Marvel is, the DC universe just has so much more history, and far more amazing stories. If they get this right, which it looks like they have, we could be in a for really fun ride.

PS That's Doomsday .... Hnnnnnngh...
    Last edited by Joey; Fri Dec 4th, 2015, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Lots of good ones coming up, Star Wars of course, but then there's the Oscar-hopeful crop:

It's been a pretty weak year IMO, so maybe The Force Awakens (and definitely Mad Max) gets a nod.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        I thought the Creed trailers looked really lame. But if the reviews are good, I'll check it out.
        Everyone go watch creed! That movie was so hype, its essentially a continuation of Rocky but its much better than it sounds.

Comment

• Weird. I thought there would be a tonne of Star Wars stuff in here.

My review: much better than I thought it would be. It's really a soft-reboot of the franchise but it feels like a sequel rather than a re-make and there's a good balance between the new and the old. It feels like Star Wars. The new characters are interesting and instantly likeable with actual personalities, motivations and conflicts and the old characters have stuff to do and their inclusion makes sense. We did need more Po Demoran (sp???) or whatever his name was, though. Loved the real sets, stunts and props as opposed to the cold CGI of the last three movies. There isn't too much fan service in the movie to the point where it was distracting and I thought most of the nods to the original trilogy were well done.

The best part of this is that it completely went away from all the stupid shit in the prequels. No more 5 year olds with lightsabers, stuntmen dancing around like ballerinas swinging swords, ridiculous and nonsensical political storylines that appeared to be written by 8-year olds - just a good ol' fashioned Star Wars movie.

The only thing I didn't like was the whole Death Star Part 3 stuff, which wasn't terrible but I wish they would have moved in a different direction. Although, I thought Han Solo had a great line about the whole thing, so it wasn't all bad. Also, the politics of this universe don't make a lot of sense but maybe they will flesh that out in the sequels or stand-alone movies.

As an aside, Harrison Ford looks so.... unkempt?..... in this movie. Could they have given him a haircut?

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
            Weird. I thought there would be a tonne of Star Wars stuff in here.

My review: much better than I thought it would be. It's really a soft-reboot of the franchise but it feels like a sequel rather than a re-make and there's a good balance between the new and the old. It feels like Star Wars. The new characters are interesting and instantly likeable with actual personalities, motivations and conflicts and the old characters have stuff to do and their inclusion makes sense. We did need more Po Demoran (sp???) or whatever his name was, though. Loved the real sets, stunts and props as opposed to the cold CGI of the last three movies. There isn't too much fan service in the movie to the point where it was distracting and I thought most of the nods to the original trilogy were well done.

The best part of this is that it completely went away from all the stupid shit in the prequels. No more 5 year olds with lightsabers, stuntmen dancing around like ballerinas swinging swords, ridiculous and nonsensical political storylines that appeared to be written by 8-year olds - just a good ol' fashioned Star Wars movie.

The only thing I didn't like was the whole Death Star Part 3 stuff, which wasn't terrible but I wish they would have moved in a different direction. Although, I thought Han Solo had a great line about the whole thing, so it wasn't all bad. Also, the politics of this universe don't make a lot of sense but maybe they will flesh that out in the sequels or stand-alone movies.

As an aside, Harrison Ford looks so.... unkempt?..... in this movie. Could they have given him a haircut?
            Awesome, a solid Review with Zero spoilers! I'm impressed!! Thanks man!

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
              Awesome, a solid Review with Zero spoilers! I'm impressed!! Thanks man!
              Dude you need to watch this movie, like right now. Internet is exploding with spoilers as we speak.

Comment

• I'm starting to get sick of Superhero movies... Come on, give me something original...

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                  I'm starting to get sick of Superhero movies... Come on, give me something original...
                  I don't even look at them as Movies .. they're like live action Comic Books. Haha Which is A-Ok by me.

There's stilly some pretty great original material out there as well though.

Comment

• My view is that movie companies aren't making as many original movies because of the popularity of the Superhero genre. These big companies are milking the Superhero genre until more people think like me. If Hello Kitty and My Little Pony were all the rage they would be making $150M movies about them.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                      My view is that movie companies aren't making as many original movies because of the popularity of the Superhero genre. These big companies are milking the Superhero genre until more people think like me. If Hello Kitty and My Little Pony were all the rage they would be making $150M movies about them.
                      Well but Hello Kitty and My Little Pony don't have the mass appeal that Marvel and DCs IP do.
                      There are plenty of great non-Superhero movies that come out every weekend. I mean we only get 2 or 3 Superhero movies per year, but that's only 2 or 3 release weekends out of 52. Sure, the Superhero movies make big money, but that just speaks to the popularity of the Comic Book industry; which I'm not sure will ever die.

Look at Frozen, or Jurassic World, or The Martian, or Mad Max, Inside Out, Ex Machina, etc. Plenty of non-Superhero, Original IP make money as well.
                      Last edited by Joey; Mon Dec 21st, 2015, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                        Well but Hello Kitty and My Little Pony don't have the mass appeal that Marvel and DCs IP do.
                        There are plenty of great non-Superhero movies that come out every weekend. I mean we only get 2 or 3 Superhero movies per year, but that's only 2 or 3 release weekends out of 52. Sure, the Superhero movies make big money, but that just speaks to the popularity of the Comic Book industry; which I'm not sure will ever die.

Look at Frozen, or Jurassic World, or The Martian, or Mad Max, Inside Out, Ex Machina, etc. Plenty of non-Superhero, Original IP make money as well.
                        Hey, I'm just saying movies run in fads. Something will replace the glut of Superhero movies at some point. Three Superhero movies per year sounds like a lot to me personally.

My guess is with the new plans for the Star Wars IP the next wave will be space adventure type movies.

Comment

• Also, saw three other movies this weekend: The Cobbler, Accidental Love and Call Me Lucky.

Call Me Lucky is a documentary from Bobcat Goldwaithe about Barry Crimmins, a stand-up comedian in the 80s. It starts out as a bunch of comedians talking about how awesome Crimmins is and stuff but then takes a turn into one of the most heart-wrenching, emotional stories I've seen in a long time. If you like these kind of biographical documentaries I highly recommend it.

Accidental Love is one of the weirdest, most discombobulated movies you will ever see that makes little to no sense and has no idea what it wants to be. Pieced together over time from various shoots over time and completely disowned by David Russell it is one of the strangest most awful pieces of garbage you will ever see. It's a Mr. Smith Goes to Washington meets Alice in Wonderland mess that would probably only interest people who are interested in really, really bad filmmaking.

The Cobbler is the worst Adam Sandler movie you will ever see - and that's saying something. I have seen Sandler movies before so I know what terrible crap looks like but this goes even one step beyond into, 'why do they let this guy make movies?' territory. The premise has some promise but they do nothing with it and manage to produce one of the most morally bankrupt scenes ever filmed where our "hero" uses the magic cobbler machine to impersonate a client and would have raped the guy's wife but for the fact he couldn't take off the shoes cause she was in the shower. He also impersonates his dead father to have a romantic evening with his own mom. The twist at the end is so mind bogglingly stupid that you'll probably miss the explanation. God I hate Adam Sandler.

Comment

• This Aint Hamlet was an interesting take on Shakespeare with less dialoge taken from the Bard and more facials

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                              This Aint Hamlet was an interesting take on Shakespeare with less dialoge taken from the Bard and more facials
                              Facials?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                                Also, saw three other movies this weekend: The Cobbler, Accidental Love and Call Me Lucky.

Call Me Lucky is a documentary from Bobcat Goldwaithe about Barry Crimmins, a stand-up comedian in the 80s. It starts out as a bunch of comedians talking about how awesome Crimmins is and stuff but then takes a turn into one of the most heart-wrenching, emotional stories I've seen in a long time. If you like these kind of biographical documentaries I highly recommend it.

Accidental Love is one of the weirdest, most discombobulated movies you will ever see that makes little to no sense and has no idea what it wants to be. Pieced together over time from various shoots over time and completely disowned by David Russell it is one of the strangest most awful pieces of garbage you will ever see. It's a Mr. Smith Goes to Washington meets Alice in Wonderland mess that would probably only interest people who are interested in really, really bad filmmaking.

The Cobbler is the worst Adam Sandler movie you will ever see - and that's saying something. I have seen Sandler movies before so I know what terrible crap looks like but this goes even one step beyond into, 'why do they let this guy make movies?' territory. The premise has some promise but they do nothing with it and manage to produce one of the most morally bankrupt scenes ever filmed where our "hero" uses the magic cobbler machine to impersonate a client and would have raped the guy's wife but for the fact he couldn't take off the shoes cause she was in the shower. He also impersonates his dead father to have a romantic evening with his own mom. The twist at the end is so mind bogglingly stupid that you'll probably miss the explanation. God I hate Adam Sandler.
                                A movie called Star Wars is out. You might give that a shot

Comment

Working...
                                X