Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Movie Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Joey wrote: View Post

    But ya, they've already changed some things around, and apparently they won't be sticking directly with the Story chronology, and with Roland being Black now, it will definitely add some interesting arcs to the story.
    Does anything turn on that, though? I seem to recall Roland being white in the books (I think there is some reference to it at one point or another) but it wasn't as though that was a major plot point. I really couldn't care less either way (if it isn't 1960s Clint Eastwood it just can't be Roland for me) but the Gunslingers were always clearly meant to be like the Knights of the Round Table (in fact, isn't it hinted that there's an Arthur that founded it - I can't remember cause it's been years since I read these) and you wouldn't cast a black guy as Sir Galahad, so it will be interesting to see if they change the construct of where he comes from, etc. but, again, not sure much turns on it either way for the purpose of the movie(s).

    Comment


    • slaw wrote: View Post
      Does anything turn on that, though? I seem to recall Roland being white in the books (I think there is some reference to it at one point or another) but it wasn't as though that was a major plot point. I really couldn't care less either way (if it isn't 1960s Clint Eastwood it just can't be Roland for me) but the Gunslingers were always clearly meant to be like the Knights of the Round Table (in fact, isn't it hinted that there's an Arthur that founded it - I can't remember cause it's been years since I read these) and you wouldn't cast a black guy as Sir Galahad, so it will be interesting to see if they change the construct of where he comes from, etc. but, again, not sure much turns on it either way for the purpose of the movie(s).
      You're absolutely right that the Gunslingers are seen to be the equivalent to the "Knights of the Round Table" in this Universe.
      You're also completely right in that Stephen King wrote the Gunslinger with Clint Eastwood in mind.

      And perhaps you wouldn't cast a Elba as Galahad, but there were absolutely Black African Nobles, Knights and Saints in renaissance/medieval Europe. So I don't see any issue with having a Black Gunslinger. I think it'll add alot of interesting tweaks.

      As for the racial implications in the books, once Odetta/Susannah is introduced (who is black in the books) there is alot of dialogue about how Roland is White and Susannah absolutely loathes him, partly because of his skin colour; at one point she calls him a "honky mahfah".
      They could just make her hate him because of who he is, but they will certainly need to alter minor plot points to accomodate. But I think it'll be neat!
      Last edited by Joey; Thu Mar 3, 2016, 02:09 PM.

      Comment


      • Joey wrote: View Post
        You're absolutely right that the Gunslingers are seen to be the equivalent to the "Knights of the Round Table" in this Universe.
        You're also completely right in that Stephen King wrote the Gunslinger with Clint Eastwood in mind.

        And perhaps you wouldn't cast a Elba as Galahad, but there were absolutely Black African Nobles, Knights and Saints in renaissance/medieval Europe. So I don't see any issue with having a Black Gunslinger. I think it'll add alot of interesting tweaks.

        As for the racial implications in the books, once Odetta/Susannah is introduced (who is black in the books) there is alot of dialogue about how Roland is White and Susannah absolutely loathes him, partly because of his skin colour; at one point she calls him a "honky mahfah".
        They could just make her hate him because of who he is, but they will certainly need to alter minor plot points to accomodate. But I think it'll be neat!
        Oh, I forgot all about Susannah/Odetta. Now that would have been daring..... the racist black character on screen.

        Speaking of the Dark Tower, my boys like Thomas the Train books and every single fucking time I pick up one of those books and see that face I actually get a little chill down my spine.....

        Comment


        • slaw wrote: View Post
          Oh, I forgot all about Susannah/Odetta. Now that would have been daring..... the racist black character on screen.

          Speaking of the Dark Tower, my boys like Thomas the Train books and every single fucking time I pick up one of those books and see that face I actually get a little chill down my spine.....
          Blaine the Mono has got to be one of the absolute weirdest parts of the story.

          Comment


          • On an entirely different note, I know that the demographic here skews a certain way but if you are a movie fan I cannot recommend Room highly enough. What an absolutely amazing movie. Best movie of 2015 hands down. If you can, I suggest watching it without knowing anything about it cause the visual filmmaking hits even harder. Just an absolutely brilliant movie with first class direction and tremendous performances.

            Comment


            • I won't post it but the new Ghostbusters trailer is out. It's.... well, it's...... something. So there.

              Comment


              • slaw wrote: View Post
                I won't post it but the new Ghostbusters trailer is out. It's.... well, it's...... something. So there.
                Ya ... I saw it too ... glad to see they tried something new with the loud, street-wise token black person ... while the other 3 are "good at the sciency stuff" ... man oh man. Haha
                Last edited by Joey; Fri Mar 4, 2016, 03:57 PM.

                Comment


                • Joey wrote: View Post
                  Fully Confirmed. January 2017 release date. Very exciting!

                  Any Stephen King/Dark Tower fans here?
                  First four books of the series were some of the finest fantasy I've ever read. Last three books were just terrible. Damn whoever ran over Stephen King and made him rush to finish the series.

                  Comment


                  • I took my daughter to see Zootopia yesterday. Funny movie and I recommend it.

                    Comment


                    • the first 4 were the best for sure but i still liked the final 3 ... a step below but still fine for me

                      they got 2 great actors to star in it too ... elba is great

                      Comment


                      • Nick Cage, Elijah Wood, and Jerry Lewis? I'll watch that.


                        Seems like a fun heist movie actually.. with Nick Cage being his usual manic self. Give that man a good director, and he's amazing ... give him "Ghostrider" and well ...... ya. Lol

                        Comment


                        • Finally got around to watching Hateful 8 on the weekend. Typical Tarantino flick where every second word is the n-word, and with enough blood to make the Red Cross proud.

                          Comment


                          • Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Finally got around to watching Hateful 8 on the weekend. Typical Tarantino flick where every second word is the n-word, and with enough blood to make the Red Cross proud.
                            I thought it could have been great - if it had been 45 minutes shorter.
                            Last edited by JimiCliff; Tue Mar 8, 2016, 06:04 PM.
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

                            Comment


                            • Saw 10 Cloverfield Lane last night. Really good movie. Smart performances by John Goodman who is terrific and the underrated Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Really well written and directed. Hard to review without spoilers but let's just the first 95% of the movie is the best stuff I've seen in a few months. The end of the movie is, well, kinda stupid but if you pretend it doesn't happen the rest of the movie is great and even the silly ending has payoffs from earlier on.

                              A movie not made for idiots. Awesome.

                              Comment


                              • Watched Deadpool last week. Really basic storyline, and the "extra" scene after the credits isn't worth the wait.

                                But was very refreshing seeing a no holds barred Marvel movie.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X