Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Movie Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Joey wrote: View Post
    This seems like a lovely, charming film. I'll see it. Nice to Shia back at it.
    Shia is a real talent. His film Honey Boy is coming out later this year, an autobiographical story about his childhood, and it looks like he really poured himself into this one. Can't wait to see it.

    Comment


    • Maury wrote: View Post

      Shia is a real talent. His film Honey Boy is coming out later this year, an autobiographical story about his childhood, and it looks like he really poured himself into this one. Can't wait to see it.
      Ya man, can't wait. Seems like he's in a good place right now:

      Comment


      • Finally a) read and b) watched Ready Player One. Thought they did a pretty bad job with the adaptation. Changed a lot of story, and none of it really for the better.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

        Comment


        • Kinda movie related, but it's actually reading. SI has an oral history on Blue Chips, which is one of my fav bball movies.

          A few neat insights from this moving starring a young Shaq and Penny (pre-NBA Penny), Nick Nolte, Bobby Knight.

          SHELTON The first scene with the character that Shaquille [O’Neal] plays in Blue Chips, in the movie it takes place in the Bayou. Originally, though, it was written for the street courts of Compton. I took that and said, “I want to make a whole movie about that world.”

          RAPPAPORT White Men Can’t Jump.
          ~~
          NOLTE Billy and I had to go down to Orlando. We were in a hotel. Shaq and his agent came in. Shaq had read the script. He said, “I want to do this film.” Then his agent stepped in and said, “But, we’ve got some problems. He can’t say ‘bitch,’ and his character cannot have taken money.” And Shaq interrupted: “No, that’s why I want to do the movie! I do say ‘bitch and I did take money!”
          ~~
          O’NEAL Ah, hell no, never. I had a lot of stuff coming my way, and I was like, Nope. In college my father told me, “You’ve been broke for 17 years; you can be broke for two more. Don’t sell your soul.”
          ~~
          (Ed) O’NEILL I really liked [Duke guard] Bobby Hurley. I’ll tell you a funny thing about that f------ Bobby Hurley. We were all so jealous of him. Every night of the week he was with another girl who was better looking than the night before.
          ~~
          O’NEILL Bobby Hurley was on the Indiana team, and he was supposed to cover this actor coming down the court with the ball in one scene. [The actor] had said to me, “I don’t know about Hurley.” This guy had played pickup games at Venice Beach, and he was thinking: Bobby’s this white kid; I’m going to school this motherf-----. So they inbound to [the actor] and he starts down the court—and Hurley stole the ball from him, went down and laid it up. [The actor] took it out again . . .  and Hurley stole it again, laid it up. Three times in a row. Finally, Friedkin said, “Bobby, let him bring the f------ ball down!”
          ~~
          O’NEAL I remember one game, all the extras thinking the movie was about them. I had to call a timeout. I said, “The next motherf----- that shoots, I’m punching him in the face. This movie ain’t about you. It’s about me and Penny.
          ~~
          O’NEAL I didn’t know who Penny was before that movie. I was playing one day [in preproduction] and I noticed he was always on my team. I finally told somebody, “Man, I don’t know why this dude’s an actor. He can play in the league.” They was like, “He is going to play. He’s probably going top three in the draft.”
          ~~
          PRIESTLY I heard stories from the sound people. They had miked Bobby Knight [during the game], but they couldn’t use any of his dialogue because it was so full of expletives.



          https://www.si.com/nba/2019/07/08/bl...ary-basketball

          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

          If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

          Comment


          • Saw Midsommar the other day. Very good, I enjoyed it more than hereditary, still not sure if it’s better. Nevertheless, a great sophomore effort for Ari Aster. Apparently he’s doing a full on comedy next, which is exciting; midsommar has some really solid comedy especially with Will Poulter’s character being both well written comedically and a very strong performance coming from Poulter himself.

            Comment


            • Watched a few movies this past weekend:

              Shazam! - I'm so bored of super hero movies, and this felt like I was watching a made for TV Disney movie from the 80's/90's. I got through it but I don't remember feeling entertained. The coolest thing though was casting Adam Brody. Don't want to spoil anything but if you've ever watched "The OC" than that casting just made too much sense for that character. Oh and the other cool thing was that it was filmed in Toronto. That TTC sub totally gave it away.


              Searching - This was actually alright. Was not expecting much but was actually quite interested in how it would play out. Can't believe John Cho is playing a dad of a teenager now in movies.. that made me feel really old.


              The Guilty - This is a Danish movie about a police officer working at a 911 type of facility. Really great movie. I think the movie takes place in two rooms. The pace was great. Really entertained through out. Only drawback is it has subtitles unless you can understand Danish. But yeah great movie.


              The Invitation - Horror type movie from a few years ago. Basically a dinner party/reunion which goes bad. Was personally a bit bored watching the movie, but watched it as a recommendation from a friend. I wasn't a fan but I know at least one person that liked it. Felt it was a tad predictable. Has the guy that looks like Tom Hardy but isn't Tom Hardy in it.

              Comment


              • Comi-con revealed a few trailers..

                It Chapter Two looks cool:

                Comment


                • Top Gun 2:

                  Comment


                  • I was fairly lukewarm on the first It. Will probably wait until it comes out as a rental and watch them back-to-back.

                    I did go and see Midsommar. I have to say that I was pretty disappointed given all the hype. It isn't a bad move at all but it's pretty predictable and the characters are lackluster. Not a great combination for a horror movie. Hereditary was much better.

                    mars, I saw The Invitation maybe a year ago? I don't mind slow builds as far as horror/thriller movies go but you need really strong characters and performances to pull it off and that movie was way too bland for too long.

                    Comment


                    • Anybody see Once Upon A Time In Hollywood? It's getting lower audience ratings than the typical QT movie, but even the bad reviews are saying that it IS the typical QT movie. I still can't wait to see it, just havent had the right opportunity yet. Probably tomorrow.
                      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                      Comment


                      • planetmars wrote: View Post
                        Watched a few movies this past weekend:

                        Shazam! - I'm so bored of super hero movies, and this felt like I was watching a made for TV Disney movie from the 80's/90's. I got through it but I don't remember feeling entertained. The coolest thing though was casting Adam Brody. Don't want to spoil anything but if you've ever watched "The OC" than that casting just made too much sense for that character. Oh and the other cool thing was that it was filmed in Toronto. That TTC sub totally gave it away.


                        Searching - This was actually alright. Was not expecting much but was actually quite interested in how it would play out. Can't believe John Cho is playing a dad of a teenager now in movies.. that made me feel really old.


                        The Guilty - This is a Danish movie about a police officer working at a 911 type of facility. Really great movie. I think the movie takes place in two rooms. The pace was great. Really entertained through out. Only drawback is it has subtitles unless you can understand Danish. But yeah great movie.


                        The Invitation - Horror type movie from a few years ago. Basically a dinner party/reunion which goes bad. Was personally a bit bored watching the movie, but watched it as a recommendation from a friend. I wasn't a fan but I know at least one person that liked it. Felt it was a tad predictable. Has the guy that looks like Tom Hardy but isn't Tom Hardy in it.
                        These are all decent/good movies. My favorite one is The Invitation, but I love slow thrillers of this type
                        It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                        Comment


                        • KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          Anybody see Once Upon A Time In Hollywood? It's getting lower audience ratings than the typical QT movie, but even the bad reviews are saying that it IS the typical QT movie. I still can't wait to see it, just havent had the right opportunity yet. Probably tomorrow.
                          Saw it last night. Both the wife and I really liked it. Long review.

                          The performances are terrific. Brad Pitt is awesome and Tarantino gives him plenty of scenes to shine including a 10 minute scene where you just watch him drive home and feed his dog. There's another sequence (I won't ruin it) with Pitt that is classic Tarantino with almost unbearable rising tension that hits all the right notes. DiCaprio isn't really my cup of tea but he is really good here and gets to show off his chops (almost too much and there's one really self-indulgent sequence that leaves you shaking your head). Then again, that's Tarantino and the long, self-indulgent scenes allow the actors to shine.

                          Probably the best part of the movie is how real it feels as he recreates 1969 LA in detail and he shows it off but in a way where you don't even know it until it's over - the attention to detail is unreal and it feels like 1969 LA.

                          And, in Tarantino fashion, he makes you very uncomfortable as well as he twists and turns a gruesome piece of history (the Manson murders) into a fairy tale. The final act is horrifically, farcically violent and I found myself in turn: laughing, cringing, horrified, laughing again, cringing, horrified. You feel good about the outcome yet awkward and slightly weird about it all.

                          My wife was saying she felt sad at the end of the movie but she didn't know why and after watching the RedLetterMedia review I know why: they said it's a movie about the end of an era that's actually an end of an era movie - they don't make'em like this anymore.

                          Comment


                          • slaw wrote: View Post

                            Saw it last night. Both the wife and I really liked it. Long review.

                            The performances are terrific. Brad Pitt is awesome and Tarantino gives him plenty of scenes to shine including a 10 minute scene where you just watch him drive home and feed his dog. There's another sequence (I won't ruin it) with Pitt that is classic Tarantino with almost unbearable rising tension that hits all the right notes. DiCaprio isn't really my cup of tea but he is really good here and gets to show off his chops (almost too much and there's one really self-indulgent sequence that leaves you shaking your head). Then again, that's Tarantino and the long, self-indulgent scenes allow the actors to shine.

                            Probably the best part of the movie is how real it feels as he recreates 1969 LA in detail and he shows it off but in a way where you don't even know it until it's over - the attention to detail is unreal and it feels like 1969 LA.

                            And, in Tarantino fashion, he makes you very uncomfortable as well as he twists and turns a gruesome piece of history (the Manson murders) into a fairy tale. The final act is horrifically, farcically violent and I found myself in turn: laughing, cringing, horrified, laughing again, cringing, horrified. You feel good about the outcome yet awkward and slightly weird about it all.

                            My wife was saying she felt sad at the end of the movie but she didn't know why and after watching the RedLetterMedia review I know why: they said it's a movie about the end of an era that's actually an end of an era movie - they don't make'em like this anymore.
                            I love that 3 of his last 4 movies, (1 with Pitt, 1 with Dicaprio, and 1 with both) are touching on infamous or downright horrible moments in history, and putting his outlandish spin on it. I would love to see him do more of these, as many as he wants lol. Just watched Inglorious Basterds again a couple week ago, and its better than it ever was, on the list as one of the greatest movies of all time imo.

                            I also would like to him to write more parts for Chirstopher Waltz going forward, those 2 make magic together the likes of which you rarely see
                            It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                            Comment


                            • I watched OUATIH on opening night, and needless to say I was disappointed. I’ll be getting in to spoilers here and although I was disappointed it was still a Tarantino movie and that means it was fun and the narrative (or lack thereof) matters, so if anyone hasn’t seen it I would advise against reading what I have to say.

                              A couple of things that worked really well to start. The period aspect of the movie was executed as well as I’ve ever seen a period replicated in movies (I have yet to see Barry Lyndon, it’s so long!) Tarantino is a master of tone and he didn’t miss a beat on 1950s/60s Hollywood.

                              Brad Pitt was awesome in every sense of the word. His character was well written and interesting and Brad gives both a comedic and an empathetic performance. He really has a great understanding of what Tarantino wants to do and I really appreciated that.

                              Margot Robbie’s Sharon Tate was really great. Tarantino and Robbie have both been catching flak about the character but I thought Robbie did an excellent job of making a character come off as happy and high on life and with budding optimism that came off in such a genuine way that I found myself worrying about what I already knew was to come. I didn’t expect that. Tarantino limits her screen time but when she’s on she’s on and she rocks it.

                              The Bruce Lee scene. Great. Really great. I liked the way Lee was shown in his fight with Brad Pitt in relation to Sharon Tate’s flashback of being taught a routine by him. Thematically interesting and consistent.

                              The ending was fun but it made me feel... bad.

                              Things i I didn’t like. I’m used to Tarantino endings but this one felt particularly cruel, and frankly unearned, but I’ll get back to this.

                              Right from the first scene it felt like the dialogue was more first or second draft as opposed to the typical Tarantino stuff we’ve grown accustomed to as an audience. Al Pacino mailed it in from the start in my opinion (maybe that’s just me, because I’m really not too fond of Pacino, especially his more recent work). Overall the first 15 minutes felt very rough to me.

                              Leo’s performance was all fine and good, but outside of his time on set playing the bad guy, he was really quite bland. His freak out in his trailer was awesome but I felt as though whenever he and Brad Pitt shared the screen Brad totally out classed him.

                              The narrative for this movie was very weak. People have been calling this a hangout movie, and in my opinion, it’s not a hangout movie. If it is, it’s a pretty poor attempt at one. Sure it shows one day in the life but then it jumps in time with a narration to fill in the gap to satisfy the lacklustre plot, a cheap tool Tarantino uses all too often. If Tarantino wanted to make a hangout movie then he needed to cut the run time basically in half he wants this to function as a hangout movie like Dazed and confused or Lucas’ American Graffiti. He teases the audience with a narrative that never really comes to fruition.

                              The pacing in this movie was distinctly not Tarantino. I appreciate slow movies as much as the next guy (probably more), but there’s no getting around it in my view: this film drags. It seems like Tarantino wanted to have a couple scenes like he usually does with characters sitting around and talking but he couldn’t quite get them to work and so a lot of the dialogue scenes were boring, flat, and kind of hollow.

                              Basically every scene with the Hippies, especially the long stay with Brad Pitt exploring the Manson compound, is boring and serves very little purpose in either characterizing Pitt’s character or moving forward a narrative.

                              The ending. It was gloriously violent, and frankly shocking. I’m not against the violent endings Tarantino likes to use. Death Proof’s ending is fantastic, the Hateful Eight’s is satisfying, Inglorious Basterds has an incredible final act of violence. But here... it just feels unearned. Like he knows how he wants to end his movie but he doesn’t really know how he’s gonna get there... so he just says “I’m Tarantino, however I get there is gonna be awesome, so who cares how I get there?” I do. In every other film of his he has earned his endings. Not here. I stopped and looked around at the crowd screaming in laughter at the incredible violence and I felt kind of gross. I don’t blame them, it was hilariously violent, but when it seems like he expects to be able to do this to save an otherwise boring movie in the audience’s eyes, it seems disingenuous to me. And he has, as the general audience walks out laughing and satisfied. It just felt like a step back from Tarantino’s development through Inglorious Basterd’s self reflective violent scene in the Nazi theatre. Again, I don’t blame people for enjoying the ending, I did too, I just felt kind of gross doing so.

                              There’s a lot more I have to say about this one, but that’s all I really want to type for now. Let me know if any of you disagree with me and maybe you can change my mind.

                              My rating: 3.5/5. Probably my least favourite of Tarantino's filmography.

                              Comment


                              • Maury wrote: View Post

                                Basically every scene with the Hippies, especially the long stay with Brad Pitt exploring the Manson compound, is boring and serves very little purpose in either characterizing Pitt’s character or moving forward a narrative.
                                That was my favorite scene in the entire movie.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X