No announcement yet.

The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally watched End Game last night with the wife, pretty good overall and nice close to the arc.

Really enjoy the movie "Jungle" with Daniel Radcliffe - on Netflix currently. True story about a guy who gets lost in the jungle in Bolivia (1981).
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Saw End Game a week or two ago. It was okay. I think I liked the first one better. End Game was too long in my opinion. Could have cut it back at least 30 minutes if not an hour.

Why couldn't Antman just shrink and then jump into Thanos' ear and then get big again? Wouldn't that have killed him off? Or shrink the glove so only he can get it?

As for Captain Marvel.. they made her invincible. Like more powerful than anything. And she couldn't' get the job done?

As for the time travel stuff.. well it's probably the worst time travel plot I've ever seen in fiction. It was just dumb. Like Captain America fighting himself? Really? How does Thor get back his hammer and yet still have it from before? Did they just create new alternative realities? And that's fine? I know I'm over thinking it.. but man if you're going to use time travel as a plot device, do it smartly or don't use it at all.

Highest grossing movie of all time now.. beating Avatar. Disney has made a fortune out of buying Marvel when they did.

Heard they're remaking Blade with the guy from True Detective Season 3. Hope they do a good job.. Wesley was awesome. Big shoes to fill.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
        .The period aspect of the movie was executed as well as I’ve ever seen a period replicated in movies (I have yet to see Barry Lyndon, it’s so long!)
        I haven't seen ouatih yet ... but just wanted to suggest watching "Peterloo" if you like well filmed period movies. It is not a bad movie overall but the period came across with detailed authenticity. I understand the historical narrative is also accurate. Mike Leigh is the director.... and the Brits are pretty good at this genre. It's been a while since I have seen Barry Lyndon but Peterloo I believe beats it in the cinematography dept.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          Saw End Game a week or two ago. It was okay. I think I liked the first one better. End Game was too long in my opinion. Could have cut it back at least 30 minutes if not an hour.

Why couldn't Antman just shrink and then jump into Thanos' ear and then get big again? Wouldn't that have killed him off? Or shrink the glove so only he can get it?

As for Captain Marvel.. they made her invincible. Like more powerful than anything. And she couldn't' get the job done?

As for the time travel stuff.. well it's probably the worst time travel plot I've ever seen in fiction. It was just dumb. Like Captain America fighting himself? Really? How does Thor get back his hammer and yet still have it from before? Did they just create new alternative realities? And that's fine? I know I'm over thinking it.. but man if you're going to use time travel as a plot device, do it smartly or don't use it at all.

Highest grossing movie of all time now.. beating Avatar. Disney has made a fortune out of buying Marvel when they did.

Heard they're remaking Blade with the guy from True Detective Season 3. Hope they do a good job.. Wesley was awesome. Big shoes to fill.
          End Game was entertaining, funny, meta with "winks to the audience" and had a lot of action especially at the end. The marvel formula. If you're trying to find logic or plot holes you've gone too far. Superheros are only as powerful or as vulnerable as the scene requires. And yes the time travel was just nonsensical. But its based off comic books...what are you gonna do
          Last edited by KeonClark; Wed Aug 21st, 2019, 03:50 PM.
          It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

• Holy fuck, they might have nailed it!

Comment

• Joker looks incredible (I'll be trying to avoid trailers now that I'm already committed 110%).

Still need to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood in the theatre, while the hype/backlash are still in effect.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                Joker looks incredible (I'll be trying to avoid trailers now that I'm already committed 110%).

Still need to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood in the theatre, while the hype/backlash are still in effect.
                Saw it a week ago. My review (I'll try not to do major spoilers but don't continue if you want total surprise)

Good movie. Now that I have a week to digest, I put in his tier 2 films, next to Kill Bill, Jackie Brown, and Hateful 8. Not as much dialogue as you come to love and expect in a Tarantino film...a lot of that has been replaced by slooow scenes of Brad Pitt just driving around. (Speaking of his driving...both him and the character of Roman Polanski in this movie both weave thru the hills like they're actively TRYING to crash).

Some pretty epic scenes nonetheless. Brad-at-ranch is thoroughly intense and engaging without a lot even really happening. Leo-with-little girl is engaging without much really happening. This is Tarantino's essence. The scene where is Leo acting in a movie, acting in a movie. Except this time, his character is supposed to be acting the scene of his life, like just killing it. So, Dicaprio being who he is, absolutely slaughters it. You get lost in the scene and forget what you're watching.

The ending is also extremely entertaining, violent, and hilarious. I found myself laughing out loud a half dozen times in the last 30-40 minutes, and outright chuckling a few times, and smiling throughout.

Come to think of it, if I could define it, I'd say the first hour and a half is a meandering slow movie with some nice shots, but overall a 6/10 movie. The last hour and a half has a real plot, tension, and tons of entertainment and humor. It's a 9/10 movie. So overall, a 7.5/10 movie.
                Last edited by KeonClark; Thu Aug 29th, 2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• You think Kill Bill is a Tarantino tier 2 film? Wow.. I love Kill Bill. It's number 2 for me after Reservoir Dogs.

I haven't seen OUATIH yet (and will wait until its released on bluray)... but here is my personal ranking of QT movies:

1. Reservoir Dogs
                  2. Kill Bill (1&2) - Basically ranking as one movie.. but if not, Kill Bill 1 goes here, and Kill Bill 2 goes to #5.
                  3. Inglourious Basterds
                  4. Pulp Fiction
                  5. The Hateful Eight
                  6. Django Unchained
                  7. Jackie Brown
                  ... never seen Death Proof, so not ranked.

True Romance (he wrote, not directed) was pretty awesome too.. would slot that at 5 if you want to count that one.

Comment

• Looking forward to Ad Astra ... another Pitt movie...

Just an overview review...

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...s-daddy-issues

Comment

• Joker is getting rave reviews .. IGN gave it a 10/10, and alot of people are saying it's the best film of 2019.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        You think Kill Bill is a Tarantino tier 2 film? Wow.. I love Kill Bill. It's number 2 for me after Reservoir Dogs.

I haven't seen OUATIH yet (and will wait until its released on bluray)... but here is my personal ranking of QT movies:

1. Reservoir Dogs
                        2. Kill Bill (1&2) - Basically ranking as one movie.. but if not, Kill Bill 1 goes here, and Kill Bill 2 goes to #5.
                        3. Inglourious Basterds
                        4. Pulp Fiction
                        5. The Hateful Eight
                        6. Django Unchained
                        7. Jackie Brown
                        ... never seen Death Proof, so not ranked.

True Romance (he wrote, not directed) was pretty awesome too.. would slot that at 5 if you want to count that one.
                        For me, Inglorious Basterds is his best work.

1. Inglorious Basterds
                        2. Kill Bill 1+ 2 (Same for me, I consider them 1 movie. The ending in Vol. 2 is perfect.
                        3. Pulp Fiction
                        4. Reservoir Dogs
                        5. Django
                        6. The Hateful 8
                        7. Death Proof
                        8. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
                        9. Jackie Brown

I love Death Proof. It's crazy and it's totally Tarantino. It isn't his best work but it's really really fun. Same with The Hateful 8, which is one of the most fun theatre experiences I've had. Tarantino makes the most out of The Hateful 8 and it's a blast - love the single location stageplay-like tone.

Again, Tarantino at his best is Inglorious Basterds. The direction, writing, performances, thematic gravity, and flat out entertainment value are all top tier. One of the best movies of all time IMO; it's in my top 20 (#17 to be exact). I feel that OUATIH could move up over time but it's possible it stays where it is. For me, it was the second least enjoyable Tarantino movie beside Jacki Brown which despite being good can be a bit tedious to get through.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

1. Inglorious Basterds
                          2. Kill Bill 1+ 2 (Same for me, I consider them 1 movie. The ending in Vol. 2 is perfect.
                          3. Pulp Fiction
                          4. Reservoir Dogs
                          5. Django
                          6. The Hateful 8
                          7. Death Proof
                          8. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
                          9. Jackie Brown
                          I'll go:

1. Inglorious Basterds (His best)
                          2. Pulp Fiction (Not sure it belongs here but it was memorable)
                          3. Kill Bill (if I split them 1 would be here and 2 would be 5).
                          4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
                          5. Reservoir Dogs (probably too high but I'm not a big fan of the rest)
                          6. Django (Was in turn bored with this and then annoyed with DiCaprio and then happy it was over)
                          . Hateful 8 (Meh. Liked the first half but it didn't deliver on its promise. OUATIH was an improvement from this intended departure)
                          8. Jackie Brown (Probably should be higher but I found it tedious)
                          N/A
                          . Death Proof (should be on a different list)

Comment

• Jackie Brown gets bad a rap ... Loved that movie, it would definitely be in my Top 3 ... so FINE, I'll give my Top 5 ... (haven't seen the new one yet)

1. Basterds (definitely the most easily 'digestible' of the bunch, some of the best Pitt you'll get)
                            2. Jackie Brown (perfect encapsulation of Quentin for me ... and that cast!)
                            3. Kill Bill 1 (Primo-Uma at her finest ... Inspired Kung Fu Panda)
                            4. Pulp Fiction (Some historically great moments)
                            5. Django (Christoph Waltz is a joy to watch, and I really liked the departure for Leo in this movie)
                            Last edited by Joey; Tue Sep 3rd, 2019, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• OH snap ...

Comment

• Yeah you guys give Django a bad rap, I love Waltz and Dicaprio, and its almost 2 movies, lots of rich characters and writing.

I do agree Inglorious is his best. Hateful is his worst, and its still a very good movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X