No announcement yet.

The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw El Camino last night.. fun movie. Love that Gillian gave Jesse a proper send off - he deserved it more than anyone else on the show IMO. Todd (ie, Landry from FNL) is still creepy as f@ck.

Not going to spoil it, but the one scene near the end there was awesome. Felt like I was watching an old scene from an old episode, but it was freshly shot.

Comment

• Saw Joker. Thought it was spectacular. Great movie. Completely agree with Maury that the critiques/backlash it has gotten is absolutely misguided, though the message is also not subtle at all by the end. Will be seeing it again. Lots to look for in a second viewing.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
        Saw Joker. Thought it was spectacular. Great movie. Completely agree with Maury that the critiques/backlash it has gotten is absolutely misguided, though the message is also not subtle at all by the end. Will be seeing it again. Lots to look for in a second viewing.
        I'm trying not to read too much in fear of spoilers, but the fact there is even an ounce of backlash is pretty fucking funny. It's an origin story of a lunatic comic book character. Why the fuck does it have to have a political responsibility to do the right thing?? Jesus christ, now its a movies job to raise society to be good people? Have we so lost our way? Only lefts or rights can like a movie? I think its social media that's triggered all this bullshit to the heights its gotten. Gives a voice to the ridiculous minority
        It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          Saw El Camino last night.. fun movie. Love that Gillian gave Jesse a proper send off - he deserved it more than anyone else on the show IMO. Todd (ie, Landry from FNL) is still creepy as f@ck.

Not going to spoil it, but the one scene near the end there was awesome. Felt like I was watching an old scene from an old episode, but it was freshly shot.
          Then The Irishman next month...we don't deserve Netflix. Still king in this bitch.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Then The Irishman next month...we don't deserve Netflix. Still king in this bitch.
            I read an article a while back where Netflix was pitching to Blockbuster to see if they could help partner with them and to help move them into the digital era in the late 90's early 2000's. Where as Netflix would get "free" advertising through Blockbuster.

Of course Blockbuster said no, and eventually went bankrupt. Netflix is now worth about 26 billion. lol.

Comment

I'm trying not to read too much in fear of spoilers, but the fact there is even an ounce of backlash is pretty fucking funny. It's an origin story of a lunatic comic book character.Why the fuck does it have to have a political responsibility to do the right thing?? Jesus christ, now its a movies job to raise society to be good people? Have we so lost our way? Only lefts or rights can like a movie? I think its social media that's triggered all this bullshit to the heights its gotten. Gives a voice to the ridiculous minority
              The Lunatic Fringe are always the loudest.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                Saw Joker opening weekend, will be seeing again next weekend. It was very good. Not sure if it's better than Ad Astra yet, The political backfire behind it is absolutely misguided and unjustified. The biggest problems are its likeness to Scorsese films like King of Comedy and Taxi Driver, but I didn't much mind as to me it came off as homage. A few questionable decisions in the third act kept if from being very very good.Todd Philips did a wonderful job directing, and his work with DP Lawrence Sher really paid off as they brought Gotham to life in such an interestingly beautiful yet tragic kind of way. Joaquin Phoenix is obviously brilliant and proves yet again he's one of the best actors working today. Overall though, I would definitely recommend, it's worth supporting movies like these, especially amidst the political backlash from the gatekeeping critics and social media pundits.
                Watched Joker again this weekend. It held up quite well. I watched King of Comedy the night before and I rewatch Taxi Driver all the time so I went in looking closer for details from those two movies and they are VERY similar, but I'm still in the camp that this is homage. I've also decided that Joker is better than Ad Astra.

There are so many movies coming out in the next little while. My top 3 most anticipated are as follows:

Bong Joon Ho's Parasite is being released this week here in Vancouver (I missed it at VIFF, tickets sold out instantly) and I couldn't be more excited. His last couple of films are all excellent and he's established himself as one of the best directors in the world working today.

Second on my most anticipated list is Rian Johnson's Knives Out, a good old fashioned whodunnit by the guy who made Brick, one of my all-time favourites. This comes out later in November. The 27th I believe.

Robert Egger's Lighthouse comes out next week here, and this is first on my most anticipated for this fall. I saw a trailer when watching Joker (I try and avoid all trailers, especially ones for films that I'm anticipating like this one) and it looks incredible. The VVitch was refreshingly terrifying and this looks absolutely bonkers. Pattinson and Defoe look great. I'll be going opening night.

Comment

• Saw Joker two nights in a row and have no regrets ... it was mostly because of a girl, but ya ... no regrets!! Lol There's so much to look for in a second viewing. Phoenix is an absolute master of his craft here. The most amazing part of it though is his physical acting ... like the way he moves is almost cartoonish, and straight out of Batman the Animated Series ... Its astounding how good he is in it. But also the writing ... and the direction, and the cinematography ... it's all there. And the way the story makes so many little pieces fit together and it just works is so satisfying. This should straight up be the new canon. Ahhhhh ... alright, so when is the Spoiler ban lifted on Joker? There's too much to talk about ... Lol

And as much as I love this being a one off, stand-alone, I'm not even a little ashamed that I want more with Todd Philips and Phoenix.
                  Last edited by Joey; Wed Oct 16, 2019, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Saw Joker two nights in a row and have no regrets ... it was mostly because of a girl, but ya ... no regrets!! Lol There's so much to look for in a second viewing. Phoenix is an absolute master of his craft here. The most amazing part of it though is his physical acting ... like the way he moves is almost cartoonish, and straight out of Batman the Animated Series ... Its astounding how good he is in it. But also the writing ... and the direction, and the cinematography ... it's all there. And the way the story makes so many little pieces fit together and it just works is so satisfying. This should straight up be the new canon. Ahhhhh ... alright, so when is the Spoiler ban lifted on Joker? There's too much to talk about ... Lol

And as much as I love this being a one off, stand-alone, I'm not even a little ashamed that I want more with Todd Philips and Phoenix.
                    Give me till Friday Uncle Joey!

Comment

Give me till Friday Uncle Joey!
                      That seems reasonable. Request granted. Lol

Comment

Saw Joker two nights in a row and have no regrets ... it was mostly because of a girl, but ya ... no regrets!! Lol There's so much to look for in a second viewing. Phoenix is an absolute master of his craft here. The most amazing part of it though is his physical acting ... like the way he moves is almost cartoonish, and straight out of Batman the Animated Series ... Its astounding how good he is in it. But also the writing ... and the direction, and the cinematography ... it's all there. And the way the story makes so many little pieces fit together and it just works is so satisfying. This should straight up be the new canon. Ahhhhh ... alright, so when is the Spoiler ban lifted on Joker? There's too much to talk about ... Lol

It gets me really excited about Matt Reeve's Batman. A classic noir-style detective story? Can't wait. I think DC may have found their niche with Joker. More arthouse leaning one-off stories with some more artistic merit. Clearly the potential downfalls of a pretentious movie (even though in actuality Joker is far from pretentious and arthouse) were not seen in the box office. We'll have to see if Joker's success was due to the political outrage making everyone have to go "see for themselves" or if these ideas are marketable and profitable in their own right. It's likely a combination of both but I'm rooting for them. Would love a Batman Beyond at some point.

Comment

It gets me really excited about Matt Reeve's Batman. A classic noir-style detective story? Can't wait. I think DC may have found their niche with Joker. More arthouse leaning one-off stories with some more artistic merit. Clearly the potential downfalls of a pretentious movie (even though in actuality Joker is far from pretentious and arthouse) were not seen in the box office. We'll have to see if Joker's success was due to the political outrage making everyone have to go "see for themselves" or if these ideas are marketable and profitable in their own right. It's likely a combination of both but I'm rooting for them. Would love a Batman Beyond at some point.
                          Watched Joker last night. It didn't entirely work for me but this is exactly what DC should be doing for its movies. Let Marvel have its own thing and have the DC movies be these stripped down character driven films made by actual filmmakers. More like the Nolan Batman movies and less like those tone deaf, awful Snyder Superman/Justice League movies.

Still liked Heath Ledger's Joker more. And that was a better movie, too, but Joker was good.

Comment

Sounds like someone was too busy suckin' face the first night and missed most of the movie so they went and saw it alone the second night?

I'm taking the wife on a hot date to see it tomorrow evening, so have at it on Saturday with your spoilers!
                            The Double Champ is here!
                            Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
                            Raptors: Larry O'Brien

Comment

Yes! DC should focus in on graphic novels style one-offs. I’m a world of overbearing continuity, short(er) stories can really pop.

The Dark Knight Returns!

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                                . More like the Nolan Batman movies and less like those tone deaf, awful Snyder Superman/Justice League movies.
                                heresy. superman is a tragedy, and snyder did fantastic. man of steel was better than justice league. i am still upset we lost batfleck, after being so against the casting.

Comment

Working...
                                X