The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOVED Joker. What a great movie, I don't blame you for seeing it twice Joey

Hopefully DC continues the trend with other characters, I can't wait to see more movies like this. Penguin? Riddler? Sign me up!
    The Double Champ is here!
    Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
    Raptors: Larry O'Brien

Comment

• Finally got to see The Ligthhouse today. Quite easily the best of the year so far, Robert Eggers has established himself as one of the top directors working today after The VVitch and now this. IMO, he's better than Ari Aster (who is very good in his own right). There are very few working writer/directors who can make horror the way Eggers does. His influences are clear yet he's got his own voice and his own stories to tell; I can't wait for his next film. He's been trying to get a Nosferatu film made for quite a while and hopefully, it gets greenlit at some point.

Will be seeing Parasite this weekend. Very excited. This is the time of year for great movies!

Comment

• Parasite was really good. It has plenty to say, but really just a lot of twisted fun.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
          Finally got to see The Ligthhouse today. Quite easily the best of the year so far, Robert Eggers has established himself as one of the top directors working today after The VVitch and now this. IMO, he's better than Ari Aster (who is very good in his own right). There are very few working writer/directors who can make horror the way Eggers does. His influences are clear yet he's got his own voice and his own stories to tell; I can't wait for his next film. He's been trying to get a Nosferatu film made for quite a while and hopefully, it gets greenlit at some point.

Will be seeing Parasite this weekend. Very excited. This is the time of year for great movies!
          Thank you for the recommendation, my gf is a horror fanatic

What did you think of Ari Asters Midsommar?

Great concept, spooky trailer, nice set up. The slow burn was good for awhile but to me the last 45 minutes I completely lost interest and watched it fall apart. Hereditary was a lot better
          It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Thank you for the recommendation, my gf is a horror fanatic

What did you think of Ari Asters Midsommar?

Great concept, spooky trailer, nice set up. The slow burn was good for awhile but to me the last 45 minutes I completely lost interest and watched it fall apart. Hereditary was a lot better
            I actually quite liked Midsommar. It's not on the level of The Lighthouse, or The Witch, but I really enjoyed the Genre-bending Aster embarked on. There were a few issues I had with the screenplay, mostly in the second act, but I've heard they've been cleared up in Aster's director's cut (which is over three hours long lol). The last act was so off the rails, I loved it. I find I like movies made by directors with a clear, idiosyncratic vision and that last act could be made by one person and one person only- Ari Aster. Also, performances across the board were pretty solid and Will Poulter was really funny. Loved him. And that first "kill" at the cliff? It sold me and I was locked in for the rest of the film.

I need to rewatch Hereditary. I liked it my first viewing but it didn't stick out to me the way it should have. I loved the twist in the middle of the film though, it was a really anxiety-inducing sequence.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
              Parasite was really good. It has plenty to say, but really just a lot of twisted fun.
              Parasite was awesome. I'm all in on Bong.

Comment

• Saw Doctor Sleep this past weekend. Stephen King just... doesn't understand his own story? I don't like his vision of The Shining. Doctor Sleep has too much Stephen King in it but in spite of King's clear fingerprints on Flanagan's work, the movie works quite well. Obviously, it was never going to come close to how incredible Kubrick's film is, but I'm quite impressed Mike Flanagan was able to manage the balancing act of honoring the film and adhering to King's questionable sensibilities. Ewan McGregor was great after a shaky first 20 minutes, and the kids weren't all that bad. I would recommend, especially to any fan of the original.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                  Saw Doctor Sleep this past weekend. Stephen King just... doesn't understand his own story? I don't like his vision of The Shining. Doctor Sleep has too much Stephen King in it but in spite of King's clear fingerprints on Flanagan's work, the movie works quite well. Obviously, it was never going to come close to how incredible Kubrick's film is, but I'm quite impressed Mike Flanagan was able to manage the balancing act of honoring the film and adhering to King's questionable sensibilities. Ewan McGregor was great after a shaky first 20 minutes, and the kids weren't all that bad. I would recommend, especially to any fan of the original.
                  I much preferred the Shining book, since the Kubrick adaptation made several big changes to the book .. Nicholson was amazing, but other than his performance, I didn't love it .. and the Dr. Sleep book is obviously a sequel to the book, so not sure if this movie is supposed to be a sequel to the book, or to the movie .. or both?.. so I could see that being tricky to be faithful to both. Looking forward to seeing it regardless though.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

I much preferred the Shining book, since the Kubrick adaptation made several big changes to the book .. Nicholson was amazing, but other than his performance, I didn't love it .. and the Dr. Sleep book is obviously a sequel to the book, so not sure if this movie is supposed to be a sequel to the book, or to the movie .. or both?.. so I could see that being tricky to be faithful to both. Looking forward to seeing it regardless though.
                    I'm actually reading the book right now, and although I'm enjoying it, it feels very... pulpy? I'm not sure, but tonally I just enjoy Kubrick's movie so much more. Kubrick really trims the fat that naturally comes with a book very precisely and really nails what I consider to be the essence of the story. I'm one of those guys who considers The Shining to be one of the five greatest films ever made, so I'm a little biased.

And yes, the new movie is an adaptation of the book but Flanagan and even King tried their best to honour the original film as best they could, and I feel that they were pretty successful. The book is pretty funky and IMO way off base as a sequel to the shining (I'm guessing, based on how the film turned out), but I can respect that this is King's vision.

Comment

• Saw Ford v Ferrari. Loved it. If there are any car guys, or just fans of good car movies, this is it. Honestly, it's one of the best movies I've seen this year. Alot funnier than I thought. Christian Bale is once again just ridiculously good. But really, just great performances all around from Damon and the rest of the gang as well.

And for those who already know the story, it's just such a great ride to see it all dramatized like this.

A out of A. Go see.

Comment

• Will be going to see Knives Out on Saturday.

Comment

• Knives Out is just a lot of fun, would recommend everyone to go with the whole family. Rian Johnson just gets it. I love whodunnits and this is a very clever take on the genre, with a whole bunch of great performances (Daniel Craig's starts a little jarring but absolutely grows on you). Ana De Armas is great as the lead, as is every other supporting actor. Clever subtext, not too on the nose. Fun for everyone.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                            Saw Joker two nights in a row and have no regrets ... it was mostly because of a girl, but ya ... no regrets!! Lol There's so much to look for in a second viewing. Phoenix is an absolute master of his craft here. The most amazing part of it though is his physical acting ... like the way he moves is almost cartoonish, and straight out of Batman the Animated Series ... Its astounding how good he is in it. But also the writing ... and the direction, and the cinematography ... it's all there. And the way the story makes so many little pieces fit together and it just works is so satisfying. This should straight up be the new canon. Ahhhhh ... alright, so when is the Spoiler ban lifted on Joker? There's too much to talk about ... Lol

And as much as I love this being a one off, stand-alone, I'm not even a little ashamed that I want more with Todd Philips and Phoenix.
                            I'm late to the party, but really enjoyed Joker as well. Feels blasphemous to say so (I LOVED The Dark Knight), but Phoenix's work went much deeper than Ledger's.

Comment

• New Star Wars Reaping Worst Reviews Since ‘Phantom Menace’

The latest installment of the series has received positive reviews from 57% of critics tracked by aggregator Rotten Tomatoes. Only “Phantom Menace,” released in 1999, received a worse rating -- at 53%. While the site is still compiling reviews, it’s already posted 116, including from 36 top critics at news organizations.

Commentators who found the film underwhelming pointed to a number of problems: It answered some of the same questions and themes of past movies, according to the British Broadcasting Corp.’s Nicholas Barber; it was dull, according to Joshua Rothkopf of Time Out; and Entertainment Weekly’s Darren Franich called it a “zombie.”
                              https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...-99/ar-BBY6WML

Not surprised but still, disappointed. At least there's The Mandalorian.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                                https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...-99/ar-BBY6WML

Not surprised but still, disappointed. At least there's The Mandalorian.
                                It's dead, Jim.

Comment

Working...
                                X