Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Movie Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Joey wrote: View Post

    I did see Vice. Agree that it was kinda "meh". Definitely didn't like it as much as Big Short.

    Sam Rockwell is an amazing actor though, and by far the best part of that movie. I will always see him as Zaphod Beeblebrox from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
    Love Sam Rockwell too. Thought he was excellent in an otherwise meh film in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri. He was great in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (which is an amazing movie btw) too. I still need to see Moon. I've heard good things.

    Comment


    • Under the Silver Lake was so fucking good, fit my stoned out yesterday to a T. A surreal conspiracy romp through LA and modern existence with a fast pace for weird fun with Garfield and co.

      Some more 2010s faves:
      Grand Budapest
      Her
      Inception
      Holy Motors
      The Act of Killing
      Anomalisa
      Whiplash
      The Avengers + Winter Soldier
      Nightcrawler
      Moonlight

      Comment


      • Best Revenge: Mandy Runner Up: You Were Never Really Here
        Best Animation: Isle of Dogs Runner Up: The Illusionist
        Best Crime-Thriller: Prisoners Runner Up: Room
        Best Noir: Winter's Bone Runner Up: Looper
        Best Psych Thriller: Black Swan Runner Up: Shutter Island
        Best Sci-Fi: Blade Runner Runner Up: Arrival

        Comment


        • Surprised and happy that Joker is getting the recognition it deserves at the Oscars, leading all movies in Nominations. Curious to see how it actually fares in the Wins column.

          Wonder if that's something Marvel will ever be able to do ... DC content has always been a bit more Oscar friendly, with it's more serious/dramatic nature, but ya ... don't know if Marvel has it in them to get something this 'artistic' made.
          Last edited by Joey; Mon Jan 13th, 2020, 01:59 PM.

          Comment


          • Joey wrote: View Post
            Surprised and happy that Joker is getting the recognition it deserves at the Oscars, leading all movies in Nominations. Curious to see how it actually fares in the Wins column.

            Wonder if that's something Marvel will ever be able to do ... DC content has always been a bit more Oscar friendly, with it's more serious/dramatic nature, but ya ... don't know if Marvel has it in them to get something this 'artistic' made.
            Wasn't the Black Panther nominated for an Oscar? Didn't think it was worthy of that, but I understand the politics behind that nomination.

            I also thought one of those Captain America movies was well made. Felt like an old spy movie from the 80's.

            Comment


            • Joey wrote: View Post
              Surprised and happy that Joker is getting the recognition it deserves at the Oscars, leading all movies in Nominations. Curious to see how it actually fares in the Wins column.

              Wonder if that's something Marvel will ever be able to do ... DC content has always been a bit more Oscar friendly, with it's more serious/dramatic nature, but ya ... don't know if Marvel has it in them to get something this 'artistic' made.
              Logan was pretty great/gritty. But was that Fox or something?

              Marvel's got time and money on their side. Many incarnations and approaches to come.

              JOKER was probably my #1 on the year. With Once Upon a Time a close second.

              Comment


              • Missing Link is a pretty terrific animated film, love that art style. Klaus was great in that regard as well.
                Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Mon Jan 13th, 2020, 07:22 PM.

                Comment



                • My birthday weekend is coming up, and I've got an order coming in from OCS. Joker lined up and a night out bowling with my wife. Looking forward to it.

                  Comment


                  • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                    Under the Silver Lake was so fucking good, fit my stoned out yesterday to a T. A surreal conspiracy romp through LA and modern existence with a fast pace for weird fun with Garfield and co.

                    Some more 2010s faves:
                    Grand Budapest
                    Her
                    Inception
                    Holy Motors
                    The Act of Killing
                    Anomalisa
                    Whiplash
                    The Avengers + Winter Soldier
                    Nightcrawler
                    Moonlight
                    So glad you loved Under the Silver Lake. The songwriter scene is one of my favourite scene in any movie now.

                    Comment


                    • planetmars wrote: View Post
                      My birthday weekend is coming up, and I've got an order coming in from OCS. Joker lined up and a night out bowling with my wife. Looking forward to it.
                      Happy Birthday!

                      Comment


                      • Maury wrote: View Post

                        Happy Birthday!
                        Thanks man!

                        Comment


                        • Joey wrote: View Post
                          The Big Short is my top Comedy of the Decade, with Wolf of Wall Street getting Runner Up. Loved both of those movies.

                          Revenant was my top Drama. Interstellar gets Runner Up.

                          Top Action movie would be any of the Mission Impossible movies. Those are great. Man of Steel is my Runner Up.
                          I guess Endgame needs to get a mention, because of what it was.

                          Can't say I've watched really any horror movies, but Haunting of Hill House was spectacular (I know it's not a movie, but it was amazing).


                          But Blade Runner gets my #1 Movie of the Decade, not even close on this one.


                          Honorable Mentions: Whiplash, Ex Machina, Arrival, Drive, Get Out, and Baby Driver.


                          Biggest Disappointment? Glass. That movie sucked. Lol
                          Was reminded today of a movie that I completely missed in this list ... The Nice Guys with Gosling and Russell Crowe is a criminally underrated movie. I'll give it my Third Runner up for Comedy.

                          Although, this puts me in a weird place where Ryan Gosling is now in 4 of the movies I've listed ... I guess I'm a big fan? Lol

                          Comment


                          • Saw 1917 over the weekend. After all the hype a big disappointment to me. I stayed away from detailed reviews but the top line critiques were along the "brilliant" lines. Poppycock. Guess I was looking for like a Private Ryan kind of epic. Both focused on a "personal mission" kind of theme but there was so much more in Ryan. Even "the cause" was b/s re WW1. Bleak and depressing and got nothing in terms of a cinematic experience. Rant over.

                            Watch it at home ... no big deal. Journey's End was so much more.

                            Comment


                            • Joey wrote: View Post

                              Was reminded today of a movie that I completely missed in this list ... The Nice Guys with Gosling and Russell Crowe is a criminally underrated movie. I'll give it my Third Runner up for Comedy.

                              Although, this puts me in a weird place where Ryan Gosling is now in 4 of the movies I've listed ... I guess I'm a big fan? Lol
                              Who dya think is a better thespian (lol) ... Pitt or Gosling ... they look interchangeable to me seeing the movies they have been in the last 5-10 yrs. Just remembered Lala Land... not sure Brad coulda handled that haha.

                              Comment


                              • Bendit wrote: View Post

                                Who dya think is a better thespian (lol) ... Pitt or Gosling ... they look interchangeable to me seeing the movies they have been in the last 5-10 yrs. Just remembered Lala Land... not sure Brad coulda handled that haha.
                                They're both a little wooden but it definitely works for both of them - adds to the coolness factor. Gosling is more talented which allows for more dynamic range. Pitt has that magic something - magneticism and charisma - coursing through his veins, and abs.

                                I quite love them both.
                                Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Wed Jan 22nd, 2020, 03:39 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X