The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bendit wrote: View Post

Who dya think is a better thespian (lol) ... Pitt or Gosling ... they look interchangeable to me seeing the movies they have been in the last 5-10 yrs. Just remembered Lala Land... not sure Brad coulda handled that haha.
    Hmm that's a good question .. I would say that I get the feeling that Gosling takes the "Art" more seriously, but hard to deny what Pitt has been able to do as well in some of his more 'meaty' roles. These are two of my favourites, so it's hard to say, but I'll pick Gosling as the slightly more 'rangey' artiste.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

Hmm that's a good question .. I would say that I get the feeling that Gosling takes the "Art" more seriously, but hard to deny what Pitt has been able to do as well in some of his more 'meaty' roles. These are two of my favourites, so it's hard to say, but I'll pick Gosling as the slightly more 'rangey' artiste.
      I feel Pitt has gotten better as he aged on the nuanced stuff but then I get flashbacks of him in 12 Monkeys and remember being floored at his work there (alongwith the otherwise macho man Bruce Willis). I thought he was also good in Ad Astra. Sometimes it's the director as well. Just so much which goes into a good movie.

Comment

• Another very good recent performance by Pitt:

Comment

• Watched "It Chapter Two" and "Marriage Story" over the weekend. Never got a chance to watch Joker. Will save that for another night (maybe this weekend).

But I really liked both movies.

It Chapter One to me was better. But I liked how they used more of Pennywise in the second one. The adult actors they got did a tremendous job of portraying the kids. I could see certain mannerisms in each actor that mimicked who they were as kids. Bill Hader was awesome as Richie though. Really stole the movie for me.

The movie reminded me a tonne of Nightmare on Elm street, and I love that the director gave a shout out to it by showing "NOES 5" playing at the local cineplex there. Bill Skarsgard is soo good as Pennywise. The story line though was sort of weak. The whole back story on how "It" came to be, or whatever was dumb.

I heard they might do a director's cut with both films sort of created as one big film. 7+ hours long or whatever. I would see that.

Marriage Story is about a couple going through a divorce. Adam Driver was fantastic in it. Laura Dern won a globe I think, and I'm not really sure why. She was okay.. but I didn't think her performance was that special (I mean she didn't suck, but I mean if she's the best female supporting actor, than 2019 was a bad year for movies). Phoenix's portrayal as the Joker is the buzz around Hollywood and I have yet to see the movie, but Driver deserves to win as well. The scene where he and Scarlett go at it, and then breaks down was pretty emotional. He needs to keep doing movies like this. He's so much better in scaled back movies than in big budget ones like Star Wars.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I heard they might do a director's cut with both films sort of created as one big film. 7+ hours long or whatever. I would see that.
            Would be cool, maybe, if they released the full Director's Cut It as a Netflix mini-series. Not sure that's ever been done before, and would pay homage to the original mini-series movie.

Comment

• I finally got the opportunity to watch Joker the other day. And I gotta say that it was just brilliant. First the idea to place the movie in the 70's was just awesome stuff. Felt like I watching an old Scorsese move like Taxi Driver or Mean Streets. And I never even thought about it, but the best setting for a lot of comic book movies should be in the 70's and 80's as the best comic book stories were written then.

Anyway Phoenix was absolutely amazing. In a previous post I was glowing on about Adam Driver's performance in Marriage Story. He was great, but Joaquin Phoenix was so good as the Joker. Using his uncontrollable laughter as a symptom of him having Terret's was perfect. His need to try and belong in that world, and try to get better, yet being dumped on by everyone that he cared about.. It really is society that turns people into monsters. Most real monsters are not born as monster's. They become monsters threw circumstance. Gotham created him, and I mean you feel so much sympathy for him that I was rooting for him.

I also loved how they showed Phoenix walking up and down those steps during different times of the movie. How when things got so bad in his life he'd walk up those stairs so slowly yet when he morphed into the "Joker" he was happy and care free. Like something clicked in him.

The scenes with him and DeNiro were hilarious. By the way great casting choice to play the Johnny Carson of Gotham.

DC knocked this one out of the park. I hope they continue to make these genre style movies going forward. No sequels.. not a lot of "action" needed. Just a great story about a great character (which DC has a tonne of).

I am really curious what they're going to do with Robert Pattinson's Batman. I know that movie will have nothing to do with the Joker, and that's too bad.

A Lex Luthor inspired movie should be done next. Would love to see that.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                I finally got the opportunity to watch Joker the other day. And I gotta say that it was just brilliant. First the idea to place the movie in the 70's was just awesome stuff. Felt like I watching an old Scorsese move like Taxi Driver or Mean Streets. And I never even thought about it, but the best setting for a lot of comic book movies should be in the 70's and 80's as the best comic book stories were written then.

Anyway Phoenix was absolutely amazing. In a previous post I was glowing on about Adam Driver's performance in Marriage Story. He was great, but Joaquin Phoenix was so good as the Joker. Using his uncontrollable laughter as a symptom of him having Terret's was perfect. His need to try and belong in that world, and try to get better, yet being dumped on by everyone that he cared about.. It really is society that turns people into monsters. Most real monsters are not born as monster's. They become monsters threw circumstance. Gotham created him, and I mean you feel so much sympathy for him that I was rooting for him.

I also loved how they showed Phoenix walking up and down those steps during different times of the movie. How when things got so bad in his life he'd walk up those stairs so slowly yet when he morphed into the "Joker" he was happy and care free. Like something clicked in him.

The scenes with him and DeNiro were hilarious. By the way great casting choice to play the Johnny Carson of Gotham.

DC knocked this one out of the park. I hope they continue to make these genre style movies going forward. No sequels.. not a lot of "action" needed. Just a great story about a great character (which DC has a tonne of).

I am really curious what they're going to do with Robert Pattinson's Batman. I know that movie will have nothing to do with the Joker, and that's too bad.

A Lex Luthor inspired movie should be done next. Would love to see that.
                Have you seen DeNiro in "King of Comedy" ? If not check it out ... RD does a fine job in a pretty good movie ... the roles have similarity.

Comment

• Finally got around to watching Joker. Wow.

Comment

• Well shit, I did NOT see this one coming:

Count me as intrigued. You don't fuck with the Jesus.

Comment

• Phoenix gets his Lead Actor Oscar. Well deserved.

Comment

• Watched a few movies over the past little while:

Uncut Gems - I can't see anyone but Adam Sandler in this role. The frenetic energy that he displays made me get a bit anxious at times. He was awesome, and really deserved at least a nomination for an Oscar. Movie itself was pretty good. One of those ones I know I'll watch again. KG actually did a pretty good job as well. The end was tragic, and I wished the writers did something a bit different there.. but I understand why they did what they did. Sandler won an Independent Spirit Award, and I caught his speech on youtube. Pretty funny.. look for it if you get a chance.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - Not the best QT movie. A tad too long. Brad and Leo were outstanding. One of the best things about Tarantino is the dialog. The witty back and forth. Bringing up a mundane topic and making the viewer want to pay attention. Like the little girl not wanting to break character, or when Leo's character talks about the plot of the book he's reading. Leo has become such a great actor. He's worked with some awesome directors though. Same with Brad in this one. I was just so interested in what he was going to do next. His little fight with Bruce Lee was hilarious.

You know QT loves hollywood, especially spaghetti westerns. So this was a complete love affair for him. I grew up in the 80's and really didn't give a sh!t about hollywood in the 60's and 70's. I frankly don't care about it now either. I never really knew about the Charlie Manson murders until later in my life. And I still don't really know who Sharon Tate is.. so I can't really relate to QT's love affair. But the movie was still enjoyable. I could see myself watching this again. The length of the movie though would make it difficult. There are a lot of things that could have been cut to make it easier to consume.

The end was awesome. Especially with what Leo does to the girl in the pool.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood - Here is the thing.. growing up I always found Mr. Rogers creepy. Even as a kid I thought there was something wrong with him. From all accounts he is genuine and everyone loved him. But I still get that creep vibe from him even though he's now passed away. How could a grown adult male like kids that much? It's really weird. I watched this movie not because of Rogers, but because of Hanks. I love Tom Hanks. And he portrayed Mr. Rogers perfectly. I can't think of another actor that could play him to be honest. He was brilliant. Matthew Ryhs was really good as well as the reporter struggling with his own life as he has to interview Mr. Rogers for a piece in his magazine. Glad I saw it for Tom's performance, but not a movie I'd watch again.

Zombieland 2 - Just as fun as the first one. Woody Harrelson makes the movie though. I don't think they needed a sequel. One was definitely enough. But yeah sure, was a fun movie.

Judy - My wife was watching this and I was half paying attention. Rene Zellweger plays Judy Garland as she's older.. a few months before she passes away. She has a string of concerts in London, and she's basically a trainwreck at that point. Rene does a pretty great job portraying a has been star that is trying to make ends meet but is also dealing with her substance abuse issues. Rene essentially cleaned house in all award shows including the Oscars for this role. So a movie to watch if you want to know why. I think she deserved it, but I don't really have any good comparisons from the year either. But for me it was a one time (half viewing) affair.

Comment

• Saw a couple of more movies over the weekend...

"Knives Out" was a lot of fun. Similar to Orient Express but I enjoyed it more. Daniel Craig does a fantastic job as the detective in it.

"21 Bridges" was exactly what I expected. Not great, but wasn't all that sh!tty either. Reminded me of a movie like the Negotiator from the late 90's. But not as well done. Really predictable. Hopefully that was not their intention otherwise they missed the mark.

Comment

Working...
                          X