No announcement yet.

The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally saw the new Affleck movie The Way Back. As a basketball fan, I think they nailed the portrayal of the sport better than I've seen in most movies. Ben Affleck gives a strong performance in what should surprisingly be competitive come awards season. It's not often you see a supposed sports movie avoid the pitfalls of the genre so well, and I'm happy to say they've mostly done that here. I'd highly recommend it to anyone on this board.

Comment

• Batfleck is BACK!!! I am pumped. If Miekenstien were still floating around here, I know he would be too. Miss you buddy!
      Ben Affleck To Return As Batman In Upcoming 'Flash' Movie alongside Micheal Keaton.

Comment

• I saw Tenet in imax. So much Nolan in one movie. It was ok.

Comment

• Damn ... RIP Chadwick Boseman. This one caught me waay off guard ... dude was good at what he did and he set a good example.

Comment

• Was only 43 and had colon cancer. That really sucks

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
              Damn ... RIP Chadwick Boseman. This one caught me waay off guard ... dude was good at what he did and he set a good example.
              This one really hit me hard. I normally don't get too caught up in celebrity deaths, and I really wasn't a huge fan of BP, but the guy was quite clearly a really talented actor that was steadily on the rise. As much as I thought BP was a weak film, its cultural impact can't be understated and the fact that he was a hero to so many black children and even adults just makes this so much worse, especially given the times. I remember watching 21 Bridges and thinking he looked particularly skinny. Thought it might have been for the role, but it was probably the chemotherapy. He must have been going through a lot. He will be missed.

Comment

• I knew Denis wouldn't let us down ... this Dune trailer is amazing ...

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

This one really hit me hard. I normally don't get too caught up in celebrity deaths, and I really wasn't a huge fan of BP, but the guy was quite clearly a really talented actor that was steadily on the rise. As much as I thought BP was a weak film, its cultural impact can't be understated and the fact that he was a hero to so many black children and even adults just makes this so much worse, especially given the times. I remember watching 21 Bridges and thinking he looked particularly skinny. Thought it might have been for the role, but it was probably the chemotherapy. He must have been going through a lot. He will be missed.
                  People were making fun about his weight loss on twitter for some time. You just never know what one's going through. People need to be more kind

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                    I knew Denis wouldn't let us down ... this Dune trailer is amazing ...

This is going to be a good one. Oh, and I don't want to be this guy but this movie seems to be hella whitewashed

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                      I saw Tenet in imax. So much Nolan in one movie. It was ok.
                      Tenet is what happens when there is no one there to tell the filmmaker, 'No. Stop.'

Plus, what was going on with the dialogue? It was so muffled in parts I had no idea what anyone was saying (don't want to spoil for people but there is one key character who is basically incomprehensible).

Comment

• Just saw an older movie called Predestination (from 2014).

This is me right now:

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Tenet is what happens when there is no one there to tell the filmmaker, 'No. Stop.'

Plus, what was going on with the dialogue? It was so muffled in parts I had no idea what anyone was saying (don't want to spoil for people but there is one key character who is basically incomprehensible).
                          Some of the worst sound mixing I've ever seen in a movie. And Nolan and his sound mixer argued it was to create a more immersive experience. It's been universally criticized so I'm hoping he goes away from that.

I agree, I think Nolan went off the deep end on this one. After such a brilliant movie like Dunkirk, I was excited to see where he was going to go. He took everything that was so great about Dunkirk and threw it in the trash. But you're right, after having been so successful with mainstream audiences for so long, not a single person pulled him aside and said "that doesn't make any sense, Chris. You know people are actually going to watch your movie?"
                          Last edited by Maury; Wed Sep 16th, 2020, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X