X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

I heard they might do a director's cut with both films sort of created as one big film. 7+ hours long or whatever. I would see that.
    Would be cool, maybe, if they released the full Director's Cut It as a Netflix mini-series. Not sure that's ever been done before, and would pay homage to the original mini-series movie.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Watched "It Chapter Two" and "Marriage Story" over the weekend. Never got a chance to watch Joker. Will save that for another night (maybe this weekend).

But I really liked both movies.

It Chapter One to me was better. But I liked how they used more of Pennywise in the second one. The adult actors they got did a tremendous job of portraying the kids. I could see certain mannerisms in each actor that mimicked who they were as kids. Bill Hader was awesome as Richie though. Really stole the movie for me.

The movie reminded me a tonne of Nightmare on Elm street, and I love that the director gave a shout out to it by showing "NOES 5" playing at the local cineplex there. Bill Skarsgard is soo good as Pennywise. The story line though was sort of weak. The whole back story on how "It" came to be, or whatever was dumb.

I heard they might do a director's cut with both films sort of created as one big film. 7+ hours long or whatever. I would see that.

Marriage Story is about a couple going through a divorce. Adam Driver was fantastic in it. Laura Dern won a globe I think, and I'm not really sure why. She was okay.. but I didn't think her performance was that special (I mean she didn't suck, but I mean if she's the best female supporting actor, than 2019 was a bad year for movies). Phoenix's portrayal as the Joker is the buzz around Hollywood and I have yet to see the movie, but Driver deserves to win as well. The scene where he and Scarlett go at it, and then breaks down was pretty emotional. He needs to keep doing movies like this. He's so much better in scaled back movies than in big budget ones like Star Wars.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    Another very good recent performance by Pitt:

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Joey wrote: View Post

Hmm that's a good question .. I would say that I get the feeling that Gosling takes the "Art" more seriously, but hard to deny what Pitt has been able to do as well in some of his more 'meaty' roles. These are two of my favourites, so it's hard to say, but I'll pick Gosling as the slightly more 'rangey' artiste.
    I feel Pitt has gotten better as he aged on the nuanced stuff but then I get flashbacks of him in 12 Monkeys and remember being floored at his work there (alongwith the otherwise macho man Bruce Willis). I thought he was also good in Ad Astra. Sometimes it's the director as well. Just so much which goes into a good movie.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Bendit wrote: View Post

Who dya think is a better thespian (lol) ... Pitt or Gosling ... they look interchangeable to me seeing the movies they have been in the last 5-10 yrs. Just remembered Lala Land... not sure Brad coulda handled that haha.
    Hmm that's a good question .. I would say that I get the feeling that Gosling takes the "Art" more seriously, but hard to deny what Pitt has been able to do as well in some of his more 'meaty' roles. These are two of my favourites, so it's hard to say, but I'll pick Gosling as the slightly more 'rangey' artiste.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    Bendit wrote: View Post

Who dya think is a better thespian (lol) ... Pitt or Gosling ... they look interchangeable to me seeing the movies they have been in the last 5-10 yrs. Just remembered Lala Land... not sure Brad coulda handled that haha.
    They're both a little wooden but it definitely works for both of them - adds to the coolness factor. Gosling is more talented which allows for more dynamic range. Pitt has that magic something - magneticism and charisma - coursing through his veins, and abs.

I quite love them both.
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Wed Jan 22nd, 2020, 03:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied

Was reminded today of a movie that I completely missed in this list ... The Nice Guys with Gosling and Russell Crowe is a criminally underrated movie. I'll give it my Third Runner up for Comedy.

Although, this puts me in a weird place where Ryan Gosling is now in 4 of the movies I've listed ... I guess I'm a big fan? Lol

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Saw 1917 over the weekend. After all the hype a big disappointment to me. I stayed away from detailed reviews but the top line critiques were along the "brilliant" lines. Poppycock. Guess I was looking for like a Private Ryan kind of epic. Both focused on a "personal mission" kind of theme but there was so much more in Ryan. Even "the cause" was b/s re WW1. Bleak and depressing and got nothing in terms of a cinematic experience. Rant over.

Watch it at home ... no big deal. Journey's End was so much more.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    The Big Short is my top Comedy of the Decade, with Wolf of Wall Street getting Runner Up. Loved both of those movies.

Revenant was my top Drama. Interstellar gets Runner Up.

Top Action movie would be any of the Mission Impossible movies. Those are great. Man of Steel is my Runner Up.
    I guess Endgame needs to get a mention, because of what it was.

Can't say I've watched really any horror movies, but Haunting of Hill House was spectacular (I know it's not a movie, but it was amazing).

But Blade Runner gets my #1 Movie of the Decade, not even close on this one.

Honorable Mentions: Whiplash, Ex Machina, Arrival, Drive, Get Out, and Baby Driver.

Biggest Disappointment? Glass. That movie sucked. Lol
    Was reminded today of a movie that I completely missed in this list ... The Nice Guys with Gosling and Russell Crowe is a criminally underrated movie. I'll give it my Third Runner up for Comedy.

Although, this puts me in a weird place where Ryan Gosling is now in 4 of the movies I've listed ... I guess I'm a big fan? Lol

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Maury wrote: View Post

Happy Birthday!
    Thanks man!

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    My birthday weekend is coming up, and I've got an order coming in from OCS. Joker lined up and a night out bowling with my wife. Looking forward to it.
    Happy Birthday!

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied
    SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    Under the Silver Lake was so fucking good, fit my stoned out yesterday to a T. A surreal conspiracy romp through LA and modern existence with a fast pace for weird fun with Garfield and co.

Some more 2010s faves:
    Grand Budapest
    Her
    Inception
    Holy Motors
    The Act of Killing
    Anomalisa
    Whiplash
    The Avengers + Winter Soldier
    Nightcrawler
    Moonlight
    So glad you loved Under the Silver Lake. The songwriter scene is one of my favourite scene in any movie now.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied

My birthday weekend is coming up, and I've got an order coming in from OCS. Joker lined up and a night out bowling with my wife. Looking forward to it.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    Missing Link is a pretty terrific animated film, love that art style. Klaus was great in that regard as well.
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Mon Jan 13th, 2020, 07:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    Surprised and happy that Joker is getting the recognition it deserves at the Oscars, leading all movies in Nominations. Curious to see how it actually fares in the Wins column.

Wonder if that's something Marvel will ever be able to do ... DC content has always been a bit more Oscar friendly, with it's more serious/dramatic nature, but ya ... don't know if Marvel has it in them to get something this 'artistic' made.
    Logan was pretty great/gritty. But was that Fox or something?

Marvel's got time and money on their side. Many incarnations and approaches to come.

JOKER was probably my #1 on the year. With Once Upon a Time a close second.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X