X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw
    replied
    Maury wrote: View Post
    Also, Snyder's films are infinitely more interesting than the soap opera that is the MCU. I can not bring myself to care about most superhero movies but Snyder did it. I also watched the newest Wonder Woman movie and it is easily one of the worst films of the year. Preachy in all the worst ways with an awful plot.
    Yeah, this movie is definitely better than the original movie which I only got 20 minutes into before shutting off but the plot is stupid and absurd, the script is still pretty bad and the acting is mediocre at best (outside of the Adams and Affleck the cast is not good). The first half is decent but it starts to lose momentum toward the finale and then that bizarre and ridiculous epilogue(s?) was just awful.

I confess that I am biased in that I like my superhero movies about superheroes not whatever the people in these movies are supposed to be (gods/angels/avatars?). No interest in watching any more post-modern deconstruction of age-old heroes that were supposed to represent the ultimate ideals of humanity to which we should all aspire being turned into fallen gods or sociopathic killing machines.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Finished the movie.. it was a blast. The epilogue was cool too.. wish Snyder can get his sequel but I don't see it happening now.

I can see why Fisher had a problem with Whedon. Shame on WB for giving him the reigns.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Also, Snyder's films are infinitely more interesting than the soap opera that is the MCU. I can not bring myself to care about most superhero movies but Snyder did it. I also watched the newest Wonder Woman movie and it is easily one of the worst films of the year. Preachy in all the worst ways with an awful plot.
    Haven't watched the new Wonder Woman yet. I'm ok to wait until it's free at least. Lol

But ya, give me more Justice Snyder over MCU any day of the week.

SPOILER
    And holy fuck, that Epilogue? OMG. Don't watch this clip if you haven't seen it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Ben Affleck is the absolute best to wear the cowl in my books.
    But this clip even made me want more Leto as Joker!

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied
    I watched the film with some friends and it was the most fun I'd had watching a movie in a really really long time. Felt like an event. Sure, there are things about Zach Snyder that I really don't like. Man of Steel is truly awful, but he has a vision and when he's allowed to do what he wants at least it's consistent and cogent. I also watched the entire thing at once and it went by really quickly. Didn't feel like a 4 hour movie. I love this quote from him though. He's such as ass lol.

“It’s like ‘The Irishman,’ but with action. You could say that. That’s a fine review. You could also say it’s the ‘Godfather’ of superhero movies. That’s another fine review.” Like I don't even really think he's wrong... but you just don't say that about your own work lol.

Read the full interview here for more golden quotes. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/14/m...ce-league.html

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Joey wrote: View Post
    That new Justice League is GOOD. Didn't feel anywhere close to 4 hours long. I was in it the whole way. And holy crap is it better than the theatrical release from Joss Whedon. Everything makes SOO much more sense. Really happy Snyder was able to get this done, even if they don't follow through with the originally planned sequels.
    I'm only into part 2.. had to take a break and will try to wrap it up later tonight. But yeah, it is really good. So much better than the original. I mean there is some bloat, but if Snyder got to finish the original cut it would have been much better than Whedon's.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    That new Justice League is GOOD. Didn't feel anywhere close to 4 hours long. I was in it the whole way. And holy crap is it better than the theatrical release from Joss Whedon. Everything makes SOO much more sense. Really happy Snyder was able to get this done, even if they don't follow through with the originally planned sequels.

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied
    Joey wrote: View Post
    Tenet is terrible. That is all.
    I like Nolan's thesis that narrative doesn't really matter and that along those lines dialogue is really unnecessary bloat in an action movie. But I think what Nolan thinks is the platonic ideal of a movie is actually not that... pleasant? I don't know. I remember seeing it in the theatre when it came out and I was just glad to be in a theatre again.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    Tenet is terrible. That is all.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    A solid time travel movie that not many have seen is called Back to the Future .. just rewatched both the first and second for the first time in a LOOONG time, and god damn, they are CLASSICS. Nearly perfect movies if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

After finishing Dark I was looking for more time travel plot point movies that I hadn't seen and someone suggested Predestination online. It has Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook (she's the sister from Succession) in it. It's just complete bonkers. That's all I'll say for now.

That movie shattered my reality .. I spent like a week talking to my friends about it trying to figure out if it actually worked ... it worked ... Lol

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied

A really great one if you can get your hands on it is Timecrimes. A spanish film from 2007. One of my fav time travel movies.
    Always looking for a good time travel movie.. Thanks for the recommendation. Will see if I can hunt it down.

Another decent one I saw a month or so ago was Primer. It's low budget and it took a second viewing and I still got confused. Some lady on youtube does an excellent job summarizing it lol. Still a good movie though

Some others I've seen recently:

- Coherence: group of friends enjoying a dinner party when multi-dimension goodness happens
    - Triangle: time loop in a horror setting with a group of friends going sailing and eventually meeting up with an old cruise liner
    - Time Lapse: I guess it is in the horror genre, but sort of weak attempt. A group of college roommates come across a camera that creates pictures of a moment that will happen in the future.

Of the three.. Coherence is the one I'd recommend. The other two were kind of meh.

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

After finishing Dark I was looking for more time travel plot point movies that I hadn't seen and someone suggested Predestination online. It has Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook (she's the sister from Succession) in it. It's just complete bonkers. That's all I'll say for now.

A really great one if you can get your hands on it is Timecrimes. A spanish film from 2007. One of my fav time travel movies.

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied
    I recently watched Inception and Interstellar in Imax when the theatres re opened here in BC. Inception is laughabley cringe at certain points, but it's a fun action flick. Anytime Nolan goes for emotional depth it just falls flat though. Interstellar, on the other hand, was brilliant. One of the better theatre experiences I've had. The sentimentality of that film somehow works for me and elevates it above most other Nolan movies.

Memento is great, Dunkirk is a masterpiece, and the Batman movies are far better than almost every other superhero movie. The Prestige is fun as well. It's a shame Tenet is so frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

Trailer looked kind of slow, and directly like Looper, Minority Report, 12 monkeys, and a bunch of others...but if you say so, I'll give it a watch tonight or tomorrow

Leave a comment:

Working...
X