Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey
    replied
    A solid time travel movie that not many have seen is called Back to the Future .. just rewatched both the first and second for the first time in a LOOONG time, and god damn, they are CLASSICS. Nearly perfect movies if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

After finishing Dark I was looking for more time travel plot point movies that I hadn't seen and someone suggested Predestination online. It has Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook (she's the sister from Succession) in it. It's just complete bonkers. That's all I'll say for now.

That movie shattered my reality .. I spent like a week talking to my friends about it trying to figure out if it actually worked ... it worked ... Lol

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Maury wrote: View Post

A really great one if you can get your hands on it is Timecrimes. A spanish film from 2007. One of my fav time travel movies.
    Always looking for a good time travel movie.. Thanks for the recommendation. Will see if I can hunt it down.

Another decent one I saw a month or so ago was Primer. It's low budget and it took a second viewing and I still got confused. Some lady on youtube does an excellent job summarizing it lol. Still a good movie though

Some others I've seen recently:

- Coherence: group of friends enjoying a dinner party when multi-dimension goodness happens
    - Triangle: time loop in a horror setting with a group of friends going sailing and eventually meeting up with an old cruise liner
    - Time Lapse: I guess it is in the horror genre, but sort of weak attempt. A group of college roommates come across a camera that creates pictures of a moment that will happen in the future.

Of the three.. Coherence is the one I'd recommend. The other two were kind of meh.

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied

After finishing Dark I was looking for more time travel plot point movies that I hadn't seen and someone suggested Predestination online. It has Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook (she's the sister from Succession) in it. It's just complete bonkers. That's all I'll say for now.

A really great one if you can get your hands on it is Timecrimes. A spanish film from 2007. One of my fav time travel movies.

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied
    I recently watched Inception and Interstellar in Imax when the theatres re opened here in BC. Inception is laughabley cringe at certain points, but it's a fun action flick. Anytime Nolan goes for emotional depth it just falls flat though. Interstellar, on the other hand, was brilliant. One of the better theatre experiences I've had. The sentimentality of that film somehow works for me and elevates it above most other Nolan movies.

Memento is great, Dunkirk is a masterpiece, and the Batman movies are far better than almost every other superhero movie. The Prestige is fun as well. It's a shame Tenet is so frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

Trailer looked kind of slow, and directly like Looper, Minority Report, 12 monkeys, and a bunch of others...but if you say so, I'll give it a watch tonight or tomorrow

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    Just saw an older movie called Predestination (from 2014).

This is me right now:

Trailer looked kind of slow, and directly like Looper, Minority Report, 12 monkeys, and a bunch of others...but if you say so, I'll give it a watch tonight or tomorrow

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Memento and Prestige rock. I didn't care for Interstellar or Inception either. The batman movies were pretty good though. I think Dark Knight has become over hyped which makes it now overrated. But still a great movie. Best batman movie ever IMO.

Haven't seen Dunkirk.. Didn't even know Nolan directed it. Might have to make a popcorn night out of it some day.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    ^With that said, I happened to re watch Interstellar for the first time since the year it came out. Great movie. Also love the Prestige, Dunkirk, Memento...so he's still got a pretty good track record with me

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied

Some of the worst sound mixing I've ever seen in a movie. And Nolan and his sound mixer argued it was to create a more immersive experience. It's been universally criticized so I'm hoping he goes away from that.

I agree, I think Nolan went off the deep end on this one. After such a brilliant movie like Dunkirk, I was excited to see where he was going to go. He took everything that was so great about Dunkirk and threw it in the trash. But you're right, after having been so successful with mainstream audiences for so long, not a single person pulled him aside and said "that doesn't make any sense, Chris. You know people are actually going to watch your movie?"
    I'm gonna say something that is definitely an unpopular opinion: Inception isn't good, makes no sense, and I can't recall a single characters name or quote.

But off course the critics drool over it. I also find the Dark Knight, while GOOD, to be one of the most overrated movies ever.

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

Tenet is what happens when there is no one there to tell the filmmaker, 'No. Stop.'

Plus, what was going on with the dialogue? It was so muffled in parts I had no idea what anyone was saying (don't want to spoil for people but there is one key character who is basically incomprehensible).
    Some of the worst sound mixing I've ever seen in a movie. And Nolan and his sound mixer argued it was to create a more immersive experience. It's been universally criticized so I'm hoping he goes away from that.

I agree, I think Nolan went off the deep end on this one. After such a brilliant movie like Dunkirk, I was excited to see where he was going to go. He took everything that was so great about Dunkirk and threw it in the trash. But you're right, after having been so successful with mainstream audiences for so long, not a single person pulled him aside and said "that doesn't make any sense, Chris. You know people are actually going to watch your movie?"
    Last edited by Maury; Wed Sep 16, 2020, 10:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Just saw an older movie called Predestination (from 2014).

This is me right now:

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    I saw Tenet in imax. So much Nolan in one movie. It was ok.
    Tenet is what happens when there is no one there to tell the filmmaker, 'No. Stop.'

Plus, what was going on with the dialogue? It was so muffled in parts I had no idea what anyone was saying (don't want to spoil for people but there is one key character who is basically incomprehensible).

Leave a comment:

• rocwell
    replied
    Joey wrote: View Post
    I knew Denis wouldn't let us down ... this Dune trailer is amazing ...

This is going to be a good one. Oh, and I don't want to be this guy but this movie seems to be hella whitewashed

Leave a comment:

• rocwell
    replied

This one really hit me hard. I normally don't get too caught up in celebrity deaths, and I really wasn't a huge fan of BP, but the guy was quite clearly a really talented actor that was steadily on the rise. As much as I thought BP was a weak film, its cultural impact can't be understated and the fact that he was a hero to so many black children and even adults just makes this so much worse, especially given the times. I remember watching 21 Bridges and thinking he looked particularly skinny. Thought it might have been for the role, but it was probably the chemotherapy. He must have been going through a lot. He will be missed.
    People were making fun about his weight loss on twitter for some time. You just never know what one's going through. People need to be more kind

Leave a comment:

Working...
X