X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LBF
    started a topic The Movie Thread

The Movie Thread

Everyone likes movies. In my time here, I've seen more than one reference/discussion to certain films.I figure we should make a movie thread.

Talk about anything and everything to do with movies. old ones, new ones. Classics, duds. Whatever!

I guess maybe could start out with rating the last movie you saw...

I just got around to seeing The Prestige.

I need to see it again. I can't even rate it without having seen it again. But, I can definitely say it's a fucking masterpiece.

• Bendit
    replied
    Maury wrote: View Post
    .The period aspect of the movie was executed as well as I’ve ever seen a period replicated in movies (I have yet to see Barry Lyndon, it’s so long!)
    I haven't seen ouatih yet ... but just wanted to suggest watching "Peterloo" if you like well filmed period movies. It is not a bad movie overall but the period came across with detailed authenticity. I understand the historical narrative is also accurate. Mike Leigh is the director.... and the Brits are pretty good at this genre. It's been a while since I have seen Barry Lyndon but Peterloo I believe beats it in the cinematography dept.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Saw End Game a week or two ago. It was okay. I think I liked the first one better. End Game was too long in my opinion. Could have cut it back at least 30 minutes if not an hour.

Why couldn't Antman just shrink and then jump into Thanos' ear and then get big again? Wouldn't that have killed him off? Or shrink the glove so only he can get it?

As for Captain Marvel.. they made her invincible. Like more powerful than anything. And she couldn't' get the job done?

As for the time travel stuff.. well it's probably the worst time travel plot I've ever seen in fiction. It was just dumb. Like Captain America fighting himself? Really? How does Thor get back his hammer and yet still have it from before? Did they just create new alternative realities? And that's fine? I know I'm over thinking it.. but man if you're going to use time travel as a plot device, do it smartly or don't use it at all.

Highest grossing movie of all time now.. beating Avatar. Disney has made a fortune out of buying Marvel when they did.

Heard they're remaking Blade with the guy from True Detective Season 3. Hope they do a good job.. Wesley was awesome. Big shoes to fill.

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    Finally watched End Game last night with the wife, pretty good overall and nice close to the arc.

Really enjoy the movie "Jungle" with Daniel Radcliffe - on Netflix currently. True story about a guy who gets lost in the jungle in Bolivia (1981).

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Maury wrote: View Post

Basically every scene with the Hippies, especially the long stay with Brad Pitt exploring the Manson compound, is boring and serves very little purpose in either characterizing Pitt’s character or moving forward a narrative.
    That was my favorite scene in the entire movie.

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied
    I watched OUATIH on opening night, and needless to say I was disappointed. I’ll be getting in to spoilers here and although I was disappointed it was still a Tarantino movie and that means it was fun and the narrative (or lack thereof) matters, so if anyone hasn’t seen it I would advise against reading what I have to say.

A couple of things that worked really well to start. The period aspect of the movie was executed as well as I’ve ever seen a period replicated in movies (I have yet to see Barry Lyndon, it’s so long!) Tarantino is a master of tone and he didn’t miss a beat on 1950s/60s Hollywood.

Brad Pitt was awesome in every sense of the word. His character was well written and interesting and Brad gives both a comedic and an empathetic performance. He really has a great understanding of what Tarantino wants to do and I really appreciated that.

Margot Robbie’s Sharon Tate was really great. Tarantino and Robbie have both been catching flak about the character but I thought Robbie did an excellent job of making a character come off as happy and high on life and with budding optimism that came off in such a genuine way that I found myself worrying about what I already knew was to come. I didn’t expect that. Tarantino limits her screen time but when she’s on she’s on and she rocks it.

The Bruce Lee scene. Great. Really great. I liked the way Lee was shown in his fight with Brad Pitt in relation to Sharon Tate’s flashback of being taught a routine by him. Thematically interesting and consistent.

The ending was fun but it made me feel... bad.

Things i I didn’t like. I’m used to Tarantino endings but this one felt particularly cruel, and frankly unearned, but I’ll get back to this.

Right from the first scene it felt like the dialogue was more first or second draft as opposed to the typical Tarantino stuff we’ve grown accustomed to as an audience. Al Pacino mailed it in from the start in my opinion (maybe that’s just me, because I’m really not too fond of Pacino, especially his more recent work). Overall the first 15 minutes felt very rough to me.

Leo’s performance was all fine and good, but outside of his time on set playing the bad guy, he was really quite bland. His freak out in his trailer was awesome but I felt as though whenever he and Brad Pitt shared the screen Brad totally out classed him.

The narrative for this movie was very weak. People have been calling this a hangout movie, and in my opinion, it’s not a hangout movie. If it is, it’s a pretty poor attempt at one. Sure it shows one day in the life but then it jumps in time with a narration to fill in the gap to satisfy the lacklustre plot, a cheap tool Tarantino uses all too often. If Tarantino wanted to make a hangout movie then he needed to cut the run time basically in half he wants this to function as a hangout movie like Dazed and confused or Lucas’ American Graffiti. He teases the audience with a narrative that never really comes to fruition.

The pacing in this movie was distinctly not Tarantino. I appreciate slow movies as much as the next guy (probably more), but there’s no getting around it in my view: this film drags. It seems like Tarantino wanted to have a couple scenes like he usually does with characters sitting around and talking but he couldn’t quite get them to work and so a lot of the dialogue scenes were boring, flat, and kind of hollow.

Basically every scene with the Hippies, especially the long stay with Brad Pitt exploring the Manson compound, is boring and serves very little purpose in either characterizing Pitt’s character or moving forward a narrative.

The ending. It was gloriously violent, and frankly shocking. I’m not against the violent endings Tarantino likes to use. Death Proof’s ending is fantastic, the Hateful Eight’s is satisfying, Inglorious Basterds has an incredible final act of violence. But here... it just feels unearned. Like he knows how he wants to end his movie but he doesn’t really know how he’s gonna get there... so he just says “I’m Tarantino, however I get there is gonna be awesome, so who cares how I get there?” I do. In every other film of his he has earned his endings. Not here. I stopped and looked around at the crowd screaming in laughter at the incredible violence and I felt kind of gross. I don’t blame them, it was hilariously violent, but when it seems like he expects to be able to do this to save an otherwise boring movie in the audience’s eyes, it seems disingenuous to me. And he has, as the general audience walks out laughing and satisfied. It just felt like a step back from Tarantino’s development through Inglorious Basterd’s self reflective violent scene in the Nazi theatre. Again, I don’t blame people for enjoying the ending, I did too, I just felt kind of gross doing so.

There’s a lot more I have to say about this one, but that’s all I really want to type for now. Let me know if any of you disagree with me and maybe you can change my mind.

My rating: 3.5/5. Probably my least favourite of Tarantino's filmography.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

Saw it last night. Both the wife and I really liked it. Long review.

The performances are terrific. Brad Pitt is awesome and Tarantino gives him plenty of scenes to shine including a 10 minute scene where you just watch him drive home and feed his dog. There's another sequence (I won't ruin it) with Pitt that is classic Tarantino with almost unbearable rising tension that hits all the right notes. DiCaprio isn't really my cup of tea but he is really good here and gets to show off his chops (almost too much and there's one really self-indulgent sequence that leaves you shaking your head). Then again, that's Tarantino and the long, self-indulgent scenes allow the actors to shine.

Probably the best part of the movie is how real it feels as he recreates 1969 LA in detail and he shows it off but in a way where you don't even know it until it's over - the attention to detail is unreal and it feels like 1969 LA.

And, in Tarantino fashion, he makes you very uncomfortable as well as he twists and turns a gruesome piece of history (the Manson murders) into a fairy tale. The final act is horrifically, farcically violent and I found myself in turn: laughing, cringing, horrified, laughing again, cringing, horrified. You feel good about the outcome yet awkward and slightly weird about it all.

My wife was saying she felt sad at the end of the movie but she didn't know why and after watching the RedLetterMedia review I know why: they said it's a movie about the end of an era that's actually an end of an era movie - they don't make'em like this anymore.
    I love that 3 of his last 4 movies, (1 with Pitt, 1 with Dicaprio, and 1 with both) are touching on infamous or downright horrible moments in history, and putting his outlandish spin on it. I would love to see him do more of these, as many as he wants lol. Just watched Inglorious Basterds again a couple week ago, and its better than it ever was, on the list as one of the greatest movies of all time imo.

I also would like to him to write more parts for Chirstopher Waltz going forward, those 2 make magic together the likes of which you rarely see

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Anybody see Once Upon A Time In Hollywood? It's getting lower audience ratings than the typical QT movie, but even the bad reviews are saying that it IS the typical QT movie. I still can't wait to see it, just havent had the right opportunity yet. Probably tomorrow.
    Saw it last night. Both the wife and I really liked it. Long review.

The performances are terrific. Brad Pitt is awesome and Tarantino gives him plenty of scenes to shine including a 10 minute scene where you just watch him drive home and feed his dog. There's another sequence (I won't ruin it) with Pitt that is classic Tarantino with almost unbearable rising tension that hits all the right notes. DiCaprio isn't really my cup of tea but he is really good here and gets to show off his chops (almost too much and there's one really self-indulgent sequence that leaves you shaking your head). Then again, that's Tarantino and the long, self-indulgent scenes allow the actors to shine.

Probably the best part of the movie is how real it feels as he recreates 1969 LA in detail and he shows it off but in a way where you don't even know it until it's over - the attention to detail is unreal and it feels like 1969 LA.

And, in Tarantino fashion, he makes you very uncomfortable as well as he twists and turns a gruesome piece of history (the Manson murders) into a fairy tale. The final act is horrifically, farcically violent and I found myself in turn: laughing, cringing, horrified, laughing again, cringing, horrified. You feel good about the outcome yet awkward and slightly weird about it all.

My wife was saying she felt sad at the end of the movie but she didn't know why and after watching the RedLetterMedia review I know why: they said it's a movie about the end of an era that's actually an end of an era movie - they don't make'em like this anymore.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    Watched a few movies this past weekend:

Shazam! - I'm so bored of super hero movies, and this felt like I was watching a made for TV Disney movie from the 80's/90's. I got through it but I don't remember feeling entertained. The coolest thing though was casting Adam Brody. Don't want to spoil anything but if you've ever watched "The OC" than that casting just made too much sense for that character. Oh and the other cool thing was that it was filmed in Toronto. That TTC sub totally gave it away.

Searching - This was actually alright. Was not expecting much but was actually quite interested in how it would play out. Can't believe John Cho is playing a dad of a teenager now in movies.. that made me feel really old.

The Guilty - This is a Danish movie about a police officer working at a 911 type of facility. Really great movie. I think the movie takes place in two rooms. The pace was great. Really entertained through out. Only drawback is it has subtitles unless you can understand Danish. But yeah great movie.

The Invitation - Horror type movie from a few years ago. Basically a dinner party/reunion which goes bad. Was personally a bit bored watching the movie, but watched it as a recommendation from a friend. I wasn't a fan but I know at least one person that liked it. Felt it was a tad predictable. Has the guy that looks like Tom Hardy but isn't Tom Hardy in it.
    These are all decent/good movies. My favorite one is The Invitation, but I love slow thrillers of this type

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    Anybody see Once Upon A Time In Hollywood? It's getting lower audience ratings than the typical QT movie, but even the bad reviews are saying that it IS the typical QT movie. I still can't wait to see it, just havent had the right opportunity yet. Probably tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    I was fairly lukewarm on the first It. Will probably wait until it comes out as a rental and watch them back-to-back.

I did go and see Midsommar. I have to say that I was pretty disappointed given all the hype. It isn't a bad move at all but it's pretty predictable and the characters are lackluster. Not a great combination for a horror movie. Hereditary was much better.

mars, I saw The Invitation maybe a year ago? I don't mind slow builds as far as horror/thriller movies go but you need really strong characters and performances to pull it off and that movie was way too bland for too long.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Top Gun 2:

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Comi-con revealed a few trailers..

It Chapter Two looks cool:

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Watched a few movies this past weekend:

Shazam! - I'm so bored of super hero movies, and this felt like I was watching a made for TV Disney movie from the 80's/90's. I got through it but I don't remember feeling entertained. The coolest thing though was casting Adam Brody. Don't want to spoil anything but if you've ever watched "The OC" than that casting just made too much sense for that character. Oh and the other cool thing was that it was filmed in Toronto. That TTC sub totally gave it away.

Searching - This was actually alright. Was not expecting much but was actually quite interested in how it would play out. Can't believe John Cho is playing a dad of a teenager now in movies.. that made me feel really old.

The Guilty - This is a Danish movie about a police officer working at a 911 type of facility. Really great movie. I think the movie takes place in two rooms. The pace was great. Really entertained through out. Only drawback is it has subtitles unless you can understand Danish. But yeah great movie.

The Invitation - Horror type movie from a few years ago. Basically a dinner party/reunion which goes bad. Was personally a bit bored watching the movie, but watched it as a recommendation from a friend. I wasn't a fan but I know at least one person that liked it. Felt it was a tad predictable. Has the guy that looks like Tom Hardy but isn't Tom Hardy in it.

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied
    Saw Midsommar the other day. Very good, I enjoyed it more than hereditary, still not sure if it’s better. Nevertheless, a great sophomore effort for Ari Aster. Apparently he’s doing a full on comedy next, which is exciting; midsommar has some really solid comedy especially with Will Poulter’s character being both well written comedically and a very strong performance coming from Poulter himself.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X