TV Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    I didn't like the Carl character that much. It might have been the actor, I'm not sure but I wasn't a Carl fan. I wasn't cheering his death but it was kind of a meh moment for me.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
      Carl wasn’t great on the show but in the comic books he is really the ultimate survivor so I think that’s the disappointment; his character was the one that was really supposed to grow up in this crazy world and go on to survive it all. In terms of long term character development, he was irreplaceable.
      Nailed it for me.

It was just as much Carls story as it was Ricks for me, and his was the ultimate arch. So I'm fine to have the show end with his death. He was supposed to be the one to survive in my mind. And the fact that in the comics he is becoming just as much the main protagonist as Rick tends to confirm that. Since we know they won't be getting into the cure/cause of the outbreak, that was the only good, satisfying end-game I could see. Without that, I just don't see any direction at all.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        Carl wasn’t great on the show but in the comic books he is really the ultimate survivor so I think that’s the disappointment; his character was the one that was really supposed to grow up in this crazy world and go on to survive it all. In terms of long term character development, he was irreplaceable.
        I agree, I like comic book Carl. The best thing they could have done is recast Carl in his teenage years on the show. Carl is a very complex character and I feel like the actor they had to work with wasn't very good at capturing who Carl is at all. They needed a truly good actor in that role. The most value he added to the story in quite some time was dying. It advanced the story arch. It was unnecessary though which makes me wonder if I'm not alone in my opinion of TV Carl.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
          Nailed it for me.

It was just as much Carls story as it was Ricks for me, and his was the ultimate arch. So I'm fine to have the show end with his death. He was supposed to be the one to survive in my mind. And the fact that in the comics he is becoming just as much the main protagonist as Rick tends to confirm that. Since we know they won't be getting into the cure/cause of the outbreak, that was the only good, satisfying end-game I could see. Without that, I just don't see any direction at all.
          I don't think TWD is story character dependent at all. In the comic Rick and Carl could get wiped out next issue and you still have a strong roster of characters who could step in as "the guy". Negan, Maggie, Dwight, Jesus, they have a bunch to choose from. What's going on with Negan in the comic right now is quite significant in my opinion.

Comment

I don't think TWD is story character dependent at all. In the comic Rick and Carl could get wiped out next issue and you still have a strong roster of characters who could step in as "the guy". Negan, Maggie, Dwight, Jesus, they have a bunch to choose from. What's going on with Negan in the comic right now is quite significant in my opinion.
            Sure there are other decent characters, but there's a clear protagonist in both the show and comics, and with the other characters viewers just don't have nearly as much time invested in all of them. That's why I don't understand them killing Carl. Anyway, it's of course completely subjective. I'm happy to find other stuff to watch, and happy you still enjoy it.

Comment

• Rick has taken a step back in the comic. He's still very important but they've pulled him back a little and other characters are starting to shine or appear to being prepared to shine. Carl is also still important but he's not doing anything interesting lately.

In the very least, killing Carls death reminds everyone that no one is safe. There have been many surprise deaths that didn't make much sense. Andrea for example. It's part of the shows draw and perhaps viewers were starting to get too relaxed? I mean this isn't Star Trek where you know the rookie going on the away team is totally fucked before he ever beams down to the planet's surface.

Comment

So I'm caught up on Walking Dead. I honestly don't get why anyone would have been turned off by these episodes. It was pretty much par for the course compared to recent seasons.
                Sounds like you were binge watching it. I watched season 5 or 6 (don't remember now) week to week and it felt like I was dying a slow death. I've been reading reviews on the current season and people are saying the pace is worse than ever. Plus the Carl death makes it feel like they have no direction. That's put me off on it.

But if the show is binge worthy than I might start it up again once this season ends.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Sounds like you were binge watching it. I watched season 5 or 6 (don't remember now) week to week and it felt like I was dying a slow death. I've been reading reviews on the current season and people are saying the pace is worse than ever. Plus the Carl death makes it feel like they have no direction. That's put me off on it.

But if the show is binge worthy than I might start it up again once this season ends.
                  I have an advantage of reading the comics and it seems like they're still on course.

*spoilers for anyone who hasn't watched up to March 18th episode*

They met The Saviors. They met other groups. They decided they didn't want to be slaves to a dictator and The Saviours and so they united and fought against him. They losts, they lost some more. They had some minor victories but overall lost tremendously while coming together in the process. Now they ready themselves for a last stand. I don't know why Carl is important to that progression or if he is for that matter but it all still looks like its on track. The comics never were and are not now all about Carl. He's an important character but those have died before. For me this is part of the reason why the show is good. There are consequences that you don't see in many other shows.

Comment

• Carl's actor was never that great, so his death was whatever. The Glenn and Abraham deaths really killed a lot of the personality of the show, they were both very dynamic characters and Abraham had some hilarious one liners. I feel like if they were going to go this route from the start they should have kept those two alive and killed off someone like Eugene. Anyway Rick and Darryl are the dynamic duo of the show so as long as those two are breathing the show is good imo.

Comment

• So now I'm going to get back into Vikings. I've only watched the first episode of the last batch so I am waaay behind. That's how I like it though... Netflix has spoiled me. I need a bunch of episodes in a short window now. The expectation is set in stone.

Comment

• So I guess Carl's dead... spoiler alert. 😕
                        The Double Champ is here!
                        Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
                        Raptors: Larry O'Brien

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                          So I guess Carl's dead... spoiler alert. ��
                          Blame it all on Axel. He spilled the beans. lol

Comment

Blame it all on Axel. He spilled the beans. lol
                            I never liked that little whiny baby anyway! And as for Carl, he was a one-eyed twirp... nobody liked him.
                            The Double Champ is here!
                            Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
                            Raptors: Larry O'Brien

Comment

• I'm very slowly knocking off Black Mirror episodes. Geez, what a fantastic show. Each episode brilliantly written, acted and shot. Like a bunch of mini feature films, each leaving you wanting more.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                I'm very slowly knocking off Black Mirror episodes. Geez, what a fantastic show. Each episode brilliantly written, acted and shot. Like a bunch of mini feature films, each leaving you wanting more.
                                Saw the first episode.. couldn't get into it after that. Thought it was a bit over the top. Might catch a few more now.

Comment

Working...
                                X