No announcement yet.

Everything Politics II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This was written in 2016. By an American. "A Missed Opportunity in Alberta" Joey our resident liberal Ontarian that scoffs at albertas issues..this is for you

https://zeihan.com/missed-opportunit...74g5YQsSZiO_DU

How about that the province of Alberta has been the only net contributor to Canada’s federal budget for several years running? Or that Alberta is the only province that isn’t aging into mass retirement, and therefore is the only province that will have the capacity to continue to pay in the future? Or that Alberta’s primary income stream — oil exports — are being actively stymied by local politics in a host of other provinces? Or that Alberta’s in-pay level to the federal budget has already been penciled in to fund the new Canadian government’s spending plans regardless of what happens to Alberta’s oil income? Or that the Edmonton-Ottawa funds transfers are already the greatest of their kind from any province to any central government in the modern world? Or that Canada can no longer maintain its standard of living without draining Alberta dry, or that Alberta cannot maintain its standard of living so long as it remains in Canada?

Separatist risks are not new in Canada, and in the past they’ve been handled fairly adroitly. Last century Ontario managed the Quebecois separatism threat by, in essence, paying Quebec to remain in Canada. It’s a variation of what the United States has done with my adopted state of Texas (a state as wealthy as Texas has little justification for gobbling up as many defense, infrastructure, health care and education funds from DC as it does). There’s just one problem: With Ontario aging into mass retirement, Ontario can no longer afford to fund Quebec’s inclusion. So the bill has been — quite nonchalantly — passed on to Alberta. Anywhere else in the world, artillery would have already been exchanged. But this isn’t anywhere in the world. This is Canada, and everyone is just so damned polite.

Thing is, as big as the financial gap is, that’s not what has me worried these days. Two new developments may be pushing the Albertans past the tipping point.

First, this is no longer about ‘right-wing Albertans’ in ‘left-wing Canada’. Albertan exasperation now spans the political spectrum. Even current Albertan Premier Rachel Notley — whose personal ideology tends to be distrustful of someone as conservative as Bernie Sanders — is sounding an awful lot like her Conservative predecessors on topics such as financial transfers and pipeline politics.

Second, the rest of Canada just had a serendipitous opportunity to nip Albertan separatism in the bud. Wildfires raging through the Fort McMurray region have forced some 100,000 Albertans from their homes in what is to my knowledge Canada’s costliest natural disaster. Considering Canadians’ well-deserved reputation for being charitable and caring in all things international, I expected to see a mass cross-country effort by Canadians to assist their own.

The reality has proven to be somewhat less … flattering. Social media has been abuzz with commentary that skirts the line of rude and hateful. The one that made me stop short was “Welcome to climate change, Alberta. Feel free to keep denying it.”

In a country where secession has been codified as legal by both parliament and the supreme court, I would think that this would be setting off alarm bells in Toronto and Quebec City. Instead, I’m continually stunned that most Canadians do not view Trudeau as either cold or off-base. In fact, every time I converse with Ontarians and Quebecois I walk away confused as to just how blasé they are as to the Albertans’ circumstances.

And so here I sit, accused of working towards the ‘destruction of Canada’. I’m afraid that with the way things are going, Ontario and Quebec are doing a bang-up job on that without any help from me. =[
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Trudeau was asked 7 times yesterday in QP if he wanted Alberta in Canada. He refused to answer each time. Works for me. Let's roll!
      Trudeau despises Alberta. Why wouldn't he? I could just imagine what the liberals say, sneer, or joke about behind closed doors
      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
        This was written in 2016. By an American. "A Missed Opportunity in Alberta" Joey our resident liberal Ontarian that scoffs at albertas issues..this is for you
        Oh am I the "resident liberal"? Lol Pretty sure I'm as Centrist as they come, but sure.

And I haven't scoffed at anything .. I've just said that Alberta can't/won't secede. It ain't happening.

Comment

• I can't believe that 2 billionaires are running for Democrats nomination while populism is on the rise, this is hilarious.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
            I can't believe that 2 billionaires are running for Democrats nomination while populism is on the rise, this is hilarious.
            You really couldn't have written it any better. As crazy as it is for me to say, I won't be one bit surprised if/when Trump win's a 2nd term. The Dems have really hammed this one up.

Comment

I can't believe that 2 billionaires are running for Democrats nomination while populism is on the rise, this is hilarious.
              Dude.. youve returned from self imposed exile...
              How are ya ?

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Dude.. youve returned from self imposed exile...
                How are ya ?
                Getting back to normal. I was diagnosed with blood cancer last year, which responded well to chemo and I'm cancer-free now, but chemo caused so many complications, it took some time to recover from "brain fog".

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

You really couldn't have written it any better. As crazy as it is for me to say, I won't be one bit surprised if/when Trump win's a 2nd term. The Dems have really hammed this one up.
                  Bernie should get the nomination. I wonder how is he polling with suburbs though...

Comment

lots of room on the train.

Comment

Getting back to normal. I was diagnosed with blood cancer last year, which responded well to chemo and I'm cancer-free now, but chemo caused so many complications, it took some time to recover from "brain fog".
                      Fuck me. Glad to hear you're doing better pal!

Comment

Really really happy to hear your cancer free now.
                        Keep on getting well.

Comment

• https://ca.yahoo.com/style/harry-meg...193051718.html

No more Harry and Megan. Good stuff here, although won't pay after March means we've been covering costs up until now, and because we won't spend however many millions a year they would require other people to pay for, they will move to America.

Happy we aren't covering their costs.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                            https://ca.yahoo.com/style/harry-meg...193051718.html

No more Harry and Megan. Good stuff here, although won't pay after March means we've been covering costs up until now, and because we won't spend however many millions a year they would require other people to pay for, they will move to America.

Happy we aren't covering their costs.
                            We had to. They're essentially diplomats, which Canada would therefore have an obligation to protect.
                            But ya, makes sense that we wouldn't after losing said "diplomat" status.

Comment

We had to. They're essentially diplomats, which Canada would therefore have an obligation to protect.
                              But ya, makes sense that we wouldn't after losing said "diplomat" status.
                              Yes. My issue was them leaving the royal family, but still be treated as royals. Seems Twitter fame and Instagram influence is their goal.

​​​Feel bad for Harry, one day number 2 always learns he isn't number 1.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post

Yes. My issue was them leaving the royal family, but still be treated as royals. Seems Twitter fame and Instagram influence is their goal.

​​​Feel bad for Harry, one day number 2 always learns he isn't number 1.
                                I wonder how big the WTF were you thinking questions will be from their son when he realizes mom and dad walked away from the lucky sperm club. Sure the money will be there..but walking away from the British royal family and the innumerable perqs that brings has to be a considerable give away.

Comment

Working...
                                X