Everything Politics II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post

Why do you believe that it's a band aid policy? It's not like we allow vigilante policing currently? Or even a stand your ground type law.
    The UK has twice as many people population wise, and we have 20x as many murders by firearms per million. And our Cops will still carry guns.

So in my opinion, yes, regulating guns will have the desired effect of reducing gun violence.
    I thought I explained quite clearly. The gang violence with guns isn't coming by way of legal routes. These guys would never pass the screening to get the guns. It's not easy to get an assault rifle or pistol in Canada the legal route.

Comment

• Are there stats to show where the guns are obtained from for these violent attacks? Start there. If guns are being used illegally than no amount of gun reform will help.. people will still get their guns illegally (probably through the US which they would be easy to smuggle from).

Tighten up the borders. Open up the TIPS lines, and if you see someone packing, than call a number so someone can come and investigate to confirm that individual has the proper licenses. Give out harsher penalties to people who are carrying without a proper license, etc.

Will be tough though. Guns are generally small in nature and can be taken a part quite easily these days. Not sure there really is an answer.

But yeah if you create more policies on gun control it might help a bit.. but it won't completely solve the issue.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        Are there stats to show where the guns are obtained from for these violent attacks? Start there. If guns are being used illegally than no amount of gun reform will help.. people will still get their guns illegally (probably through the US which they would be easy to smuggle from).

Tighten up the borders. Open up the TIPS lines, and if you see someone packing, than call a number so someone can come and investigate to confirm that individual has the proper licenses. Give out harsher penalties to people who are carrying without a proper license, etc.

Will be tough though. Guns are generally small in nature and can be taken a part quite easily these days. Not sure there really is an answer.

But yeah if you create more policies on gun control it might help a bit.. but it won't completely solve the issue.
        Look into what it takes to get an assault rifle in Canada and tell me that the RCMP is going to green light some thug for a license.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

I thought I explained quite clearly. The gang violence with guns isn't coming by way of legal routes. These guys would never pass the screening to get the guns. It's not easy to get an assault rifle or pistol in Canada the legal route.
          But that's not really the case ... It used to be that the majority of illegal guns were being brought over the border, but more and more they are purchased legally, and then resold on the black market ... or made illegally here.

While the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police says it is working with Statistics Canada to compile national figures, Chief Saunders says what he's seen in Toronto is a growing concern.

"It's Toronto-specific that the crime guns, that the majority of them are domestic, predominately through straw purchasing," Saunders says.

"Straw purchasing" is when a legal Canadian firearm licence-holder buys a gun and then sells it on the black market. Criminals try to remove the serial numbers to make them untraceable.

And it is happening across the country. Law enforcement officials refer to widely publicized cases of Canadians being convicted of selling legally purchased guns on the black market.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/national-gun...arms-1.5126228
          planetmars wrote: View Post
          Are there stats to show where the guns are obtained from for these violent attacks? Start there. If guns are being used illegally than no amount of gun reform will help.. people will still get their guns illegally (probably through the US which they would be easy to smuggle from).

I don't think anyone is saying it will "completely solve the issue". And "it might help a bit" is better than doing nothing at all, no?
          Last edited by Joey; Fri Sep 20th, 2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
            Politics really are the worst.
            Lol what revolution? I'm sick of partisan politics and it's only getting worse.

Comment

Look into what it takes to get an assault rifle in Canada and tell me that the RCMP is going to green light some thug for a license.
              The rules are pretty strict I agree as compared to the US.

One of the issues is stolen and unreported "legal" weapons. That said I have never understood the need for "an assault rifle". Why are these allowed at all in Canada except maybe for the thrill of using one. If gun ranges wanted to to keep some under their control and rental use just on their property I suppose this would be fine.

Comment

Alright. So provide the stats on who doesn't agree with me, how many don't agree with me and why they don't agree with me.
                Don’t be lazy. Do your own research. Easy to find, as Joey points out.
                Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

Lol what revolution? I'm sick of partisan politics and it's only getting worse.
                  But the politics/war/revolution are interested in you.....

It's an old reference to Pericles' line that 'you might not be interested in politics, but the politics is interested in you.' Trotsky famously admonished his fellow Russians with similar thoughts.

Comment

Just Google "Does Gun Reform reduce Gun Violence", and you'll find tons of studies and reports that show it does in fact work.
                    Not to wade too far into this, but your view is not universally accepted or backed by evidence....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...975_story.html

Comment

• In any case, back to something fun..... Bendit, thoughts on whether Trudeau dressing up like a crude Sambo character, stuffing his pants and dancing around like a gorilla is a problem? Nah? Good to know.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Not to wade too far into this, but your view is not universally accepted or backed by evidence....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...975_story.html
                        Never said it was "Universally accepted" ... very few things are in this world. But you can only find an Opinion article to demonstrate your point? Probably not the best reference. It's littered with "we could do this .. and we could do that.." but with very little figures or facts.
                        Last edited by Joey; Fri Sep 20th, 2019, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post

The rules are pretty strict I agree as compared to the US.

One of the issues is stolen and unreported "legal" weapons. That said I have never understood the need for "an assault rifle". Why are these allowed at all in Canada except maybe for the thrill of using one. If gun ranges wanted to to keep some under their control and rental use just on their property I suppose this would be fine.
                          Cuz the Guvernment needs to be kept in line!! or wait ... Self defense!! Er ... Sport shooting!!

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                            In any case, back to something fun..... Bendit, thoughts on whether Trudeau dressing up like a crude Sambo character, stuffing his pants and dancing around like a gorilla is a problem? Nah? Good to know.
                            You actually misrepresent my thoughts ...with quite the racist descriptions I am not familiar with re Trudeau. Explain. Or was it your brand of humour/fun?

This isn't fun but a serious subject. You and maybe others are being obsequiously political rather than nuanced. But JT provided an easy target?

Here are some comments in actual agreement with mine ... at least tangentially..by those in attendance at the event.

Honey Madan, whose husband and brother are in the second photo and was also at the event, told Global News her family thought nothing of Trudeau’s costume.

“I know people are calling it racist and that, but it had nothing to do with that,” she said. “It wasn’t racist at all.”

Seven of Madan’s children also went to the school and had interacted with Trudeau while he was a math and drama teacher there, she said. She added none of them have experienced racism while at the school.

She said she appreciates Trudeau’s apologies for the photos and video, but is sure he never meant harm to anybody.

“We never got offended at all, I don’t think anybody at the party got offended. It was just a fun night,” she said.

“You go to Halloween parties, you go to other parties and you dress up. Of course he’s the prime minister, so people are making a big thing, but it wasn’t at all.”

Madan also doesn’t remember anyone else in makeup or brownface, but says others were dressed up to match the Arabian Nights theme.

Comment

Cuz the Guvernment needs to be kept in line!! or wait ... Self defense!! Er ... Sport shooting!!
                              Yes, to the first. The right to bear arms was recognized by the founders as a key element in protecting the other enumerated rights. In practical terms, there is a reason black civil rights leaders in the US long backed the right to bear arms as it offered them protection against racist governors and local politicians. The 14th amendment was driven in large part to gain blacks two fundamental right: the first and second amendment. You mock it now because you have grown up in generations where you believe that the society we live in is the new normal when in fact it is the exception in human history. I wonder if the protestors in Hong Kong wish they had guns now?

Self-defense, yes, of course. That is the obvious one. You also forgot protecting livestock, dealing with vermin and predators on or near farms or ranches, protection of property in rural areas, etc. But, the left in Canada views those people as non-Canadians, so I can understand why that may have slipped your mind. Remember, when you're violently attacked in rural Alberta, the police are only an hour away!

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post

You actually misrepresent my thoughts ...with quite the racist descriptions I am not familiar with re Trudeau. Explain. Or was it your brand of humour/fun?

This isn't fun but a serious subject. You and maybe others are being obsequiously political rather than nuanced. But JT provided an easy target?

Here are some comments in actual agreement with mine ... at least tangentially..by those in attendance at the event.
                                Dude, he didn't wear blackface once! LOL. He wore it three times! At least! What planet are you on?

And you're not so obtuse as to miss all the other issues with this. Whether or not Trudeau is racist, I'll leave to others to decide for themselves but the's guy is the most sanctimonious, smarmy, pretentious paragon of social justice that the rank hypocrisy is virtually indescribable. Not to mention that he lied about to his own party and to Canadians.

An ape?The video is grainy.  It’s blurry, and it’s hard to make out who is in it.But we don’t have to guess.  The Liberal Party of Canada has confirmed to Global News — which released the video on Thursday morning — that it depicts Justin Trudeau, th...

Comment

Working...
                                X