Everything Politics II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Mask wearing is Kardashian level groupthink.

I have been out and about in heart of Toronto along King West and Queen West for a couple of weeks just walking around. The ratio of non mask wearers to mask wearers is about 50:1. Either there are no masks to be had or the rank and file is singularly unconcerned.

Wear one or not... Its your choice.

The empirical vote seems to be no.
    You do realize that the science indicates the reason for it is more for whom you may infect than you being infected. Try to be a good neighbour/citizen.Even Doug F.(who I give full marks to) recommends it.

You could be asymptomatic.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post

You do realize that the science indicates the reason for it is more for whom you may infect than you being infected. Try to be a good neighbour/citizen.Even Doug F.(who I give full marks to) recommends it.

Or not.
      I don't normally like a tank. But when I do I prefer a #TampaTank.

Comment

• LOL. I am loving this autonomous zone in Seattle. This is just fantastic. First, they set the commie record for running out of food on day one (they don't teach logistics like they used to) when the homeless stole all their food and on day two they now have an actual warlord. ROFL. And now they are setting up one in Portland. I can't wait to see what day three brings. It's like watching junior high school kids learning about how society works but in real time and with "adults". I hope this goes on forever - we need a reality show following the main characters: Raz Simone (the warlord), Mags White (the Blue Haired Land Whale), Summer Chavez-Wellington (the trust fund Chavista), and Jimmy Keen (the unmedicated schizophrenic).

Last edited by slaw; Thu Jun 11, 2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

The guy pictured below makes Putin look lame. He just finished killing a grizzly with his words.
          Then he tamed this wild mustang armed only with a steely gaze and rode it to a photo op to apologize for something he didn't do or wasn't even alive to witness. Then he cried.

Justin Trudeau, the Chuck Norris of the North.
          So tough he can piss his initials in concrete.

Now add the Dems wearing scarves and kneeling for photo ops. These people really need some media advisors to tell them how idiotic and transparent they look.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Comment

After Thursday afternoons leisurely walk to the dispensary ... I'd up the ratio of non mask wearers to mask wearers to about 200 to 1 and we haven't opened up the restaurants yet .. which might prove to be the death of masks as I just can't see anyone wearing one inside the restaurant while trying to chow down.

I see more people on the 504B streetcar than even a week ago but even on public transit the ratio of mask wearers to non mask wearers is about 3 to 1.

I also believe the favourite catchphrase of our pols that "we are following the science" on reopening is now simply untrue. Its now a political decision.

But again its a choice. Your choice to wear a mask or not. But a choice.
              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Jun 12, 2020, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Now add the Dems wearing scarves and kneeling for photo ops. These people really need some media advisors to tell them how idiotic and transparent they look.
                Trudeaus personal advisory board on whats cringeworthy or not has both Melanie Joly and Catherine "Snowshoe" McKenna at the table.
                What was HL Menckens line .. No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public ?
                Seems the axiom travels well... even on horseback.

Comment

But again its a choice. Your choice to wear a mask or not. But a choice.
                  I typically don't mind philosophising about ephemeral matters. But this is different and worthy of caution. You seem to want to be cavalier about this (or make it a 'rights' thing) as if it were a coin flip like judgemental call. Fine.

Maybe a glance at the news about the reappearance of Ms. Covid in about 20 states down south might help.

Stay well.

This may help:

https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...isk-level.html
                  Last edited by Bendit; Fri Jun 12, 2020, 05:12 PM.

Comment

I typically don't mind philosophising about ephemeral matters. But this is different and worthy of caution. You seem to want to be cavalier about this (or make it a 'rights' thing) as if it were a coin flip like judgemental call. Fine.

Maybe a glance at the news about the reappearance of Ms. Covid in about 20 states down south might help.

Stay well.

This may help:

https://www.mlive.com/public-interes...isk-level.html
                    Its a choice thats mine to make.

After the 3500 person shoulder to shoulder march down Bloor,with some folks wearing masks and some not, without so much as a peep or a tut-tut or even a ticket from our betters in Ottawa and Queens Park and the Mayors Office pretty much sewered their credibility on demanding even further quarantining measures. You can't be a little bit pregnant on a quarantine program by pick and choosing if its in affect or not depending on which side of ever shifting political winds are blowing.

My goodness its astounding to know that Parliament is a less safe place to be for our PM than a street rally in Ottawa even though he wore a mask.

Its a heck of a double standard to maintain ....

Do what you think works ..I will be doing the same.
                    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Jun 14, 2020, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• I would not be shocked if movie theatres are done.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                        I would not be shocked if movie theatres are done.
                        For me its the cruise industry. From Norwalk virus to Covid19 those floating hotels that trap you in a confined area and leave you at the mercy of a port authority to let you back in to civilization if your get sick and in trouble is a big hill to climb. But there are those who will jump at the first 70% off deal as the cruise industry tries to get itself up off the mat.

I see myself getting back on a plane without to much concern and and going to a movie theatre again. ..
                        Getting on a cruise ship. Not so much..

Comment

For me its the cruise industry. From Norwalk virus to Covid19 those floating hotels that trap you in a confined area and leave you at the mercy of a port authority to let you back in to civilization if your get sick and in trouble is a big hill to climb. But there are those who will jump at the first 70% off deal as the cruise industry tries to get itself up off the mat.

I see myself getting back on a plane without to much concern and and going to a movie theatre again. ..
                          Getting on a cruise ship. Not so much..
                          Yeah, cruise companies are hurting right now too. The thing they have going for them is they're a lot of fun and they take you to all sorts of exotic places for a very good value. If you do your homework you get an incredibly clean, safe and enjoyable experience from start to finish. I've been to Cuba, Mexico and Dominican just traveling there and staying at all inclusive and I've gone on cruises. I'd much rather go on a cruise, it's not even close. I don't know when I'll be going again, I was already planning on doing some trips where I plan everything myself in Europe but I think there will be a demand for cruises again after this crisis is over. What you're talking about in terms of medical emergencies is true no matter how you travel to these places but at least when it's a cruise you're on you're guaranteed that the high standards are consistently met if that's what you're choosing.

As for movie theaters, all those movies are being released at home right now. It's going to be a tough sell to switch back and crowd people into those close quarters for no reason other than to feed the big movie theaters. I'm not sold it will return to the way it was. I feel no urge to get back into it and I was slowly phasing that out anyway, only going every couple months.

Comment

Its a choice thats mine to make.

After the 3500 person shoulder to shoulder march down Bloor,with some folks wearing masks and some not, without so much as a peep or a tut-tut or even a ticket from our betters in Ottawa and Queens Park and the Mayors Office pretty much sewered their credibility on demanding even further quarantining measures. You can't be a little bit pregnant on a quarantine program by pick and choosing if its in affect or not depending on which side of ever shifting political winds are blowing.

My goodness its astounding to know that Parliament is a less safe place to be for our PM than a street rally in Ottawa even though he wore a mask.

Its a heck of a double standard to maintain ....

Do what you think works ..I will be doing the same.
                            The lockdowns stopped being about public health weeks ago but the sheer hypocrisy of politicians in the US and Canada over the last 10 days or so really brought it home.

The economic avalanche is still coming but there is also a lot of anger among severely normal people who made tremendous sacrifices and followed the rules only to be spit upon by the experts and their leaders. No idea how that manifests itself but it will.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

The lockdowns stopped being about public health weeks ago but the sheer hypocrisy of politicians in the US and Canada over the last 10 days or so really brought it home.

The economic avalanche is still coming but there is also a lot of anger among severely normal people who made tremendous sacrifices and followed the rules only to be spit upon by the experts and their leaders. No idea how that manifests itself but it will.
                              Trudeau ultimately decides and I recall reading last week or the week before that he's been crushing it so significantly in the polls that there's a chance for an early election. So are Canadian's angry about the lock down or not? If they are, who are they angry at? Solely the premiers?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

Trudeau ultimately decides and I recall reading last week or the week before that he's been crushing it so significantly in the polls that there's a chance for an early election. So are Canadian's angry about the lock down or not? If they are, who are they angry at? Solely the premiers?
                                I'm not sure it will have any affect on voting intentions - every election is driven by complicated factors. I do think it will have less obvious consequences.

Comment

Working...
                                X