Everything Politics II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post

The Liberals were in disarray (remember their convention in the basement of a hotel?) until the dauphin accepted his rightful claim as heir to the Liberal throne. He's there until he wants out - the Torys aren't beating him with Mackay or O'Toole in charge. Two losers.
    The PC's may be able to run a dog and beat JT.
    I didn't think they'd take it literally.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
      My thoughts? Morneau is a dunce. No argument there. Never been a fan. Would be happy to see him gone.

But otherwise, I think the bar for "scandal" in Canada is pretty darn low. Lol With regards to the WE thing, I think the only thing Trudeau is really guilty of is just political misjudgement. The guy makes some pretty boneheaded decisions. Sure. But I don't see it as anything more than that, like some nefarious scheme like Scheer is trying (and I think mostly unsuccessfully) to try and paint it as.
      I'm honestly a little shocked. To me, this is a clear case of elitism, and these people get away with living like the rest of us can't. It's the epitome of what is wrong with our society- class disparity and inequality. I thought this would be universally agreed upon.

In regards to JT's policies, I think he's done fine in his response to Covid. Politically, he didn't have much of a chance, and he seems to have reacted in time. The WE thing? I think it is insidiously bad and he should be removed from office. This is like if the accusations against Donald Trump were actually proven to be true. If they were, I'd be arguing for his impeachment along with the rest of you.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

I'm honestly a little shocked. To me, this is a clear case of elitism, and these people get away with living like the rest of us can't. It's the epitome of what is wrong with our society- class disparity and inequality. I thought this would be universally agreed upon.

In regards to JT's policies, I think he's done fine in his response to Covid. Politically, he didn't have much of a chance, and he seems to have reacted in time. The WE thing? I think it is insidiously bad and he should be removed from office. This is like if the accusations against Donald Trump were actually proven to be true. If they were, I'd be arguing for his impeachment along with the rest of you.
        Tip of the iceberg. We now have a sole source mask contract scandal (Quebec company of course) and the rent program scandal outsourced to Telford's husband. And wait until someone gets to the bottom of the infrastructure bank missing projects.

Comment

• 2 people have died of COVID-19 in New Brunswick. There are currently 6 active cases. Population of NB is 800,000. This is an absolute disgrace no matter whether you are a Tory or a Liberal.
          Uncertainty on the future of the coronavirus pandemic means Premier Blaine Higgs wants to avoid a general election.

Comment

• Good god.

In a major shift from the last outbreak, the Government will send all confirmed community cases of Covid-19 to a managed quarantine facility.

Comment

• 2020 good news. And a reminder that the foreign policy experts running things in the West since 1992 have been wrong about everything. Whatever the American experts say, just do the opposite and you will be right.
              The peace deal was the product of lengthy discussions between Israel, the UAE and the United States that accelerated recently, White House officials said.

Comment

Good god.
                Ya that's pretty scary ... and New Zealand had the world so impressed ...
                Last edited by Joey; Thu Aug 13th, 2020, 06:28 PM.

Comment

2020 good news. And a reminder that the foreign policy experts running things in the West since 1992 have been wrong about everything. Whatever the American experts say, just do the opposite and you will be right.

I think this has alot to do with Benjy feeling the pressure back at home, but either way, some great news! Hopefully it sticks.

Comment

Good god.
                    Hopefully it doesn't pick up steam worldwide but:
                    (Bloomberg) -- Flare-ups from Australia to Japan show the world hasn’t learned an early lesson from the coronavirus crisis: to stop the spread, those with mild or symptom-free coronavirus infections must be forced to isolate, both from their communities and family.

In Australia, where Victoria state has been reporting record deaths, some 3,000 checks last month on people who should have been isolating at home found 800 were out and about. In Japan, where the virus has roared back, people are staying home but aren’t in isolation: 40% of elderly patients are getting sick from family members in the same apartments.

The failure to effectively manage contagious people with mild or no symptoms is a driving factor behind some of the world’s worst resurgences. But lessons from Italy, South Korea and others that have successfully contained large-scale outbreaks show that there’s a tried-and-tested approach to cutting off transmission: move them out of their homes into centralized facilities while they get over their infections, which usually doesn’t require longer than a few weeks.

“A laissez-faire approach naively trusting everyone to be responsible has been shown to be ineffective, as there will always be a proportion who will breach the terms of the isolation,” said Jeremy Lim, adjunct professor at the National University of Singapore’s Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health.
                    We all saw the videos in here back in March where Chinese authorities were barring people in their homes (literally installing hardware to prevent them from leaving) and physically dragging them out of their homes kicking in screaming:
                    Bringing mild or asymptomatic patients to designated facilities -- re-purposed convention centers, hotels and stadiums -- for basic medical care marked a turning point in the city’s fight against the coronavirus. Simply separating them from healthy people halted the pathogen’s silent spread through the community.
                    There must be a better way. Its one thing to put safety limits on what people can do during a pandemic but its another thing to rip an innocent person from their home and put them in what are essentially detention camps.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=uxbndlbing

Comment

• Is Trump seriously trying to stop the mail from running so that mail in votes don't come in, during a pandemic where it will be difficult to vote in person? Did I read that right? If true, then that's Fascism at it's finest form right there.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/america...otes-1.5063269

Comment

• Mostly about the UK but there is a chart in the middle showing how other G7 countries have fared. What an absoute disaster.
                        Seventeen years of economic growth have been wiped out in Britain’s late and long lockdown.

Comment

• They found something:
                          A former FBI lawyer will plead guilty to making a false statement in the first criminal case arising from U.S. Attorney John Durham's investigation into the probe of ties between Russia and the 2016 Trump campaign.

The case against Kevin Clinesmith is likely to be cheered by President Donald Trump and his supporters as they look to the Durham investigation to lift Trump's wobbly re-election prospects and to expose what they see as wrongdoing as the FBI opened an investigation into whether the Trump campaign was co-ordinating with the Kremlin to sway the outcome of the 2016 election.
                          Clinesmith is being charged in federal court in Washington and is expected to plead guilty to one count of making a false statement, his lawyer Justin Shur told The Associated Press.

The Durham investigation, which is also examining the intelligence community's assessment about Russian election interference, has caused deep concern among Democrats, who view it as a politically charged exercise meant to relitigate an already closed investigation and fear criminal charges or public reports issued so close to the 2020 election could be timed to affect November's vote.
                          https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/fbi-cl...rump-1.5686616

I was saying back in election times that I thought the most likely scenario is that all the main players looked a little dirty (right & left). This one is pretty significant because it's an FBI lawyer involved with the initial probe.

Comment

• Morneau falls on his sword for Skippy.
                            Skippy thanks him and prays this is a big enough sacrifice to the polling Gods to keep him afloat.
                            He is truly a piece of flotsam and soon to be jetsam.

Comment

• The outrage amongst the good burghers of North Toronto, The Beach and Outremont might be on a different decibel level if this were to be breathlessly reported by the CBC with those oh so disapproving tones. But whomever this guy is presents a cutting compare.

Are we this lazy to let it slide ?

Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Aug 17th, 2020, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• I liked Carney for the spot of Financial Minister - seems like the only role Chrystia Freeland hasn't had at this point is PM ... though I wouldn't put it past her when it's all said and done. Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X