Everything Politics II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    There will be no status quo. Status quo is a Liberal majority. Trudeau's best case scenario is a Liberal minority. I think he is likely to cling on for another term because this is the worst cast of party leaders we've seen... Probably ever.

That said, the subsequent four years will likely be a complete waste of time because I don't think this cast will play nice and work together in Canada's best interest. A political tug of war where everyone loses. Not good.
    Actually, a Liberal minority placating the NDP and the Greens would be even better. Count me in. Love that idea.

Comment

Trudeau has shown no ability to do anything of the sort. He can't even answer their questions on the floor without looking like one of these two:

Comment

This is now, what, the fifth ethics investigation? First Canadian PM ever to have been found to broken the law not once, but twice.

But no one cares. Nothing matters.
        Mario Dion's report also says he was denied access to sensitive government information during his investigation by Privy Council Clerk Ian Shugart

Comment

Just another note that the country's top civil servant (who was of course completely non-partisan) saw nothing wrong with any of this. And, a former SCoC chief justice was prepared to help the PMO whitewash the entire affair. All in favour of a politically connected Quebec company that bribed dictators to get contracts. And, despite the PM and other breaking the law (and others lying in front of a Commons committee) nothing will happen to anyone.

When the smart set wonders why people's trust in our institutions is failing and no one listens to them anymore, well.....

Comment

The SNC thing doesn't bother me that much because I don't doubt for a second that any of the other leaders would have done anything different. Without a strong leader, hard to see the boat being rocked too much.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
              The SNC thing doesn't bother me that much because I don't doubt for a second that any of the other leaders would have done anything different. Without a strong leader, hard to see the boat being rocked too much.
              That's the best argument I've seen and one I think Trudeau should run with. It's a sad commentary on the Canadian polity that it seems completely reasonable to suggest that politicians would actually break the law to help their supporters and no one really cares. But that's where we are.

It is strange to me that supporters of bigger government would make the argument that the government and Canadian politicians are hopelessly corrupt criminals but we should still give them more money and power and control over our lives. Like I said, nothing matters.

Comment

I don't know if you can conclude all that based on one person's comment on a basketball forum.

Comment

I don't know if you can conclude all that based on one person's comment on a basketball forum.
                  I saw a lot of it on Liberal Twitter yesterday.

Comment

I still think its a big reach. The pendulum swung left because the country was sick of Harper and got suckered on a brand name. It wasn't an indication of the country's values changing. Twitter is a vanity platform and you can't gauge the country accurately based on that. Just my two cents.

Comment

I still think its a big reach. The pendulum swung left because the country was sick of Harper and got suckered on a brand name. It wasn't an indication of the country's values changing. Twitter is a vanity platform and you can't gauge the country accurately based on that. Just my two cents.
                      I still think Harper was worse than Trudeau.

Don't forget that Harper had quite a few scandals of his own.
                      https://www.thestar.com/news/federal...-scandals.html
                      Last edited by Axel; Thu Aug 15th, 2019, 12:15 PM.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post

I still think Harper was worse than Trudeau.
                        Why?

Comment

Why?
                          Well the link I added has a bunch of the Harper scandals listed of which there are several in my mind that are much worse than anything under JT.

The "most ethics investigation" for Trudeau is a misleading headline I've seen touted on social media frequently, but the ethics commissioner didn't exist until 2007, so hard to really compare. The fact that there have been investigations shows that the office actually trying to do something and not just a puppet. Transparency was not something that Harper endorsed in government, so having the ethics commissioner is a good thing moving forward regardless of who's in power.

I agree with things like the carbon tax. I don't like having to spend more money but I think it's the right thing to do to try and move Canada towards sustainable energy. As long as the oil rigs hold the money over politicians (like Sheer), we will never see improvements.

For things like taxes, Trudeau has been pretty good, actually quite close to Harper in terms of tax revenue share of GDP. Trudeau followed through on changes to tax brackets for the wealthy; repealing a bunch of tax breaks that Harper created to benefit wealthy households. So all in all, fairly reasonable in that regard compared to some "tax and spend" liberal ideologies.

There are things he has messed up on, but on the whole, I think he's done a better job than Harper and carries more of the values I want to see in office than Scheer does. Like most people, I wish there were better options out there cause I don't see any great choices but I'm happy to have Trudeau for another term over the other candidates.

Comment

News of a sort. I opposed adding in May to the debates because she is clearly a vanity candidate and has no chance of electing any substantial amount of candidates, let alone forming government. In fact, she seems to promote the Liberals more than her own party. Based on that, I would have been fine with Bernier being excluded but it May is there then Bernier should be there, too. Especially when the bloody BQ are there in the English debate despite being a Quebec separatist party that should not be in these debates at all.
                            The organization put in charge of Canada's official leadership debates have sent out invitations, and Maxime Bernier isn't invited.

Comment

Oops... more tariffs on Canada... faux pas Justin..

Comment

Much of what is wrong with political polling occurs at the nexus between the firms that produce the surveys and the media industry. It is worth bearing that in mind as we approach the October 2019 federal election campaign, in which opinion polling will be more central than ever to media coverage. In Manitoba, we …

Comment

Working...
                                X