Everything Politics II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    Maybe you should explain to the Albertans why that is, Joey?
    Has been discussed multiple times in the past, so I'll let the National Post (a conservative leaning outlet no less) explain:
    "Why Alberta Separatism is the Dumbest Political Movement in Canada Today"

If anyone is being truly honest with themselves, they will recognize that it's just not going to happen. Even with all of the reasons slaw listed, maybe you're looking 30% support. Maybe. I think the most they've ever polled was like 25%, but I could be wrong.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

Has been discussed multiple times in the past, so I'll let the National Post (a conservative leaning outlet no less) explain:
      "Why Alberta Separatism is the Dumbest Political Movement in Canada Today"

If anyone is being truly honest with themselves, they will recognize that it's just not going to happen. Even with all of the reasons slaw listed, maybe you're looking 30% support. Maybe. I think the most they've ever polled was like 25%, but I could be wrong.
      Most of Hopper's points assume an independent Alberta which are simply addressed by my concession that Alberta would have to join the US where his critique is largely weak tea.

But, again, an Alberta in confederation without an economy is no better off than an independent one. Whether we starve as Canadians or Albertans, we're still starving.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Most of Hopper's points assume an independent Alberta which are simply addressed by my concession that Alberta would have to join the US where his critique is largely weak tea.

But, again, an Alberta in confederation without an economy is no better off than an independent one. Whether we starve as Canadians or Albertans, we're still starving.
        joining the united states would be a smart play, they have a guy that would love land mass expansion on his resume. your resources would be respected and your industry would boom.

much like england, the canadian union needs you to pay its bills though.

Comment

• Like I posted about the ccp pointing the Chinese at their political enemies, and then letting them run loose in the mainland is now happening in reverse in Hong Kong. People getting attacked for speaking mandarin in Hong Kong. They only know Cantonese, and Xi has begun to change their schooling into mandarin, like mao did to the entirety of China.

https://www.nst.com.my/world/2019/10...re-living-fear

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

And you genuinely think this is a viable/realistic option that could transpire? I mean, I could be missing something, but it just seems very pie-in-the-sky to me.

slaw wrote: View Post
            Well stated. This is largely my point as well as to why it's so difficult to actually get the necessary support for this to actually happen.
            Last edited by Joey; Wed Oct 9th, 2019, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• This forum is fast descending into the twilight zone... Alberta & Sask. want to separate? Really? Join up with the US? You sure they want you? But even so you must know that the Amerks are fucking ruthless traders and bargainers (not the current asshole "negotiator" but historically). They will strip you if it ever happens. Remember they will have the leverage.

Lets see ... a simple thought experiment: the 2 adjoining states are Montana & North Dakota with an approx. per capita of $32,000 while Alb. & Sask. btw. the richest per capita provinces in Canada have a per cap. of about Can. $70K.

So, what happens in a merger or are you expecting that the USA add 2 more states to their union and you can maintain the great largesse you currently enjoy in the current corporation. Hint: Albertans are very fortunate they don't have a prov. tax. Will that still be? You may want to consider having one to generate some more revenue provincially like all the others do.

C'mon people, get a grip. Quebec found out how hard it was to separate. If I remember they thought joining up with the US was a no brainer as well.

There is an impeachment of a crazy mofo coming up to the south ... much more entertaining waste of our time.

ps... and do not forget that wonderful Canada Health system we all enjoy and you shall miss if you leave.

For some who have issues with the current sharing system between provinces and Ottawa... it may not be all together perfect but be careful what you wish for. Here is a piece on how the arrangement currently works:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...ir-to-alberta/

Be gentle with your replies, please.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                This forum is fast descending into the twilight zone... Alberta & Sask. want to separate? Really? Join up with the US? You sure they want you? But even so you must know that the Amerks are fucking ruthless traders and bargainers (not the current asshole "negotiator" but historically). They will strip you if it ever happens. Remember they will have the leverage.

Lets see ... a simple thought experiment: the 2 adjoining states are Montana & North Dakota with an approx. per capita of $32,000 while Alb. & Sask. btw. the richest per capita provinces in Canada have a per cap. of about Can. $70K.

So, what happens in a merger or are you expecting that the USA add 2 more states to their union and you can maintain the great largesse you currently enjoy in the current corporation. Hint: Albertans are very fortunate they don't have a prov. tax. Will that still be? You may want to consider having one to generate some more revenue provincially like all the others do.

C'mon people, get a grip. Quebec found out how hard it was to separate. If I remember they thought joining up with the US was a no brainer as well.

There is an impeachment of a crazy mofo coming up to the south ... much more entertaining waste of our time.

ps... and do not forget that wonderful Canada Health system we all enjoy and you shall miss if you leave.

For some who have issues with the current sharing system between provinces and Ottawa... it may not be all together perfect but be careful what you wish for. Here is a piece on how the arrangement currently works:

KeonClark will respectfully tell you to shove and sit down because we Non-Albertans just don't know what it's like to have it so tough.

Comment

I sense we have exhausted this puppy... so I wont prattle on.

That bold is something I am not qualified to comment on re current evaluations. I will just say that there used to be the SUN Media group which owned some TV outlets but alas fell on tough times and shut down... around 5 yrs. ago? You will also note that FOX tried to setup shop here but did not. All to say that there may not be too much of an appetite for right-wing allthetime tv.

However I am sure there are some YouTube channels which cater to this like Rebel etc. Now, if straight/normal conservative is what you want I think CTV & Global should satisfy a criteria of a down the middle/leaning right format in news/opinion. Just an opinion.
                  CityCynthia Rosie Barton Glen McGregor, David Cochrane, Katie Simpson, Joyce Napier, Joy Malbon and Chantal Hebert all breathlessly agree with you. Canada is well served by them. No need to look anywhere else for a dissenting view point.

Fox Newz is available on cable.. no idea if they ever tried to set up shop in Canada and flopped or didn't see the value prop...but then neither has CBS or CNN As curious observation. CNN is free to most non skinny grandma cable packages... however Fox is a paid for channel or package. Go figure eh ? The CRTC always there to defend Canadian interests from foreign competition. .

The Sun media group seems to be alive and well.
                  Strangely enough they seem to be able to run a P&L without government assistance unlike the Star.

Have you watched Global Toronto with Allan Carter and Farrah Nassar ? Aside from being at the intersect of mediocrity and incompetence they do carry more than just a tinge of progressive leaning stories.

BTW... it appears that the Trudeau having his dick sucked on a regular basis while at the Vancouver private school he taught at story is losing any semblance of truth....Yet Justin has denied many other stories that turned out to be factual. Someone is running it down. Just don't look for it on the CBC/Star /CITY networks

Comment

This forum is fast descending into the twilight zone... Alberta & Sask. want to separate? Really? Join up with the US? You sure they want you? But even so you must know that the Amerks are fucking ruthless traders and bargainers (not the current asshole "negotiator" but historically). They will strip you if it ever happens. Remember they will have the leverage.

i

The theme behind Rod Serlings Twilight Zone as you term it .....is that the wedge and identity politics which are now firmly at the core of the Liberal Party ethos are having downstream consequences that the amateurs from the McGill debate team didn't think of. They have brought on division and tribalism never seen before in Canada. The West my friend is totally pissed off. If this was Quebec getting kicked in the gonads as hard as Alberta by Ottawa the angst and introspection would dominate the news. My firm belief is that the West Block would send dump trucks full of cash to the poor folks of Lower Canada.

The backroom duo of Butts and Telford sewered Ontario with enormous public debt loads and exacerbated that with energy prices that are double what any other province pays. Sound familar ? They fucked us. Now they are on the national stage. Its time to give them a time out.

Andrew Scheer is a guy with 5 kids who worked his way to where he is. He is indeed bland. But bland in government is good.I found it hard to manage two kids. Don't ever underestimate his resolve. His other half supports him.

Charisma boy...is.... well.. something other than that. His judgement with more than few case studies is deemed to be suspect at best and egocentric at worst. He appears to be unable to face his missteps with any sincere acts of contrition and has managed to piss of his signficant other to the point she won't show up with him.

Support who you will...
                    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Oct 9th, 2019, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

KeonClark will respectfully tell you to shove and sit down because we Non-Albertans just don't know what it's like to have it so tough.
                      You can be dismissive and sarcastic but slaw laid out a bunch of completely legitimate reasons, and mocking the whole movement instead of communicating will only inflame Albertans, I promise you. You're acting like the typical Toronto urbanite right now, country is so disconnected it's crazy.
                      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

• I actually think a lot of the country outside of Ontario and Quebec would understand it if Alberta did leave. Note how I didn't say agree with it.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                          I actually think a lot of the country outside of Ontario and Quebec would understand it if Alberta did leave. Note how I didn't say agree with it.
                          As a federation we are not about to let a part of the family go because of a handful of idealouges who have hijacked the Liberal Partty of Canada and are driving the car off the side of the road.

Vote this cretinous Trudeau cult out.

The liberals who love power more than they love sex will frag Trudeau and his stooges the next day.
                          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Oct 9th, 2019, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

As a federation we are not about to let a part of the family go because of a handful of idealouges who have hijacked the Liberal Partty of Canada...
                            Vote these cretins out.
                            The liberals who love power more than they love sex will frag Trudeau and his stooges the next day.
                            Alberta is the drunk, but hardworking and caring uncle, integral to every good family movie or tv show. He'll give you a noogie and call you a dummy but he'll have your back. He just wants a chance to get his job back, he'll take it from there.

We have a lot of hate with our brother Ontario. He's really pretentious and douchey lately, and refuses to help little bro in any way, even though he has the connections and ability to, and lil bro has always been there for him. In fact lil bro was the one paying the mortgage for big bro, for quite some time! Now, he just mocks lil bro and goes "ha, should have got a better education in a different field there bud!"

Lil bro is not too happy, and the nieces and nephews seem to notice that Ontario is in fact pretty douchey right now.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Alberta is the drunk, but hardworking and caring uncle, integral to every good family movie or tv show. He'll give you a noogie and call you a dummy but he'll have your back. He just wants a chance to get his job back, he'll take it from there.

We have a lot of hate with our brother Ontario. He's really pretentious and douchey lately, and refuses to help little bro in any way, even though he has the connections and ability to, and lil bro has always been there for him. In fact lil bro was the one paying the mortgage for big bro, for quite some time! Now, he just mocks lil bro and goes "ha, should have got a better education in a different field there bud!"

Lil bro is not too happy, and the nieces and nephews seem to notice that Ontario is in fact pretty douchey right now.
                              Don't confuse Ontario with Toronto...
                              Get in the car.. drive over the top of Superior through Geraldon, Kap , Hearst , Timmins.
                              You would be hard pressed to differentiate those folks from the boys in the Hat.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Don't confuse Ontario with Toronto...
                                Get in the car.. drive over the top of Superior through Geraldon, Kap , Hearst , Timmins.
                                You would be hard pressed to differentiate those folks from the boys in the Hat.
                                Should have specified, I'm speaking of City of Toronto and surrounding area, and a particular hill in Ottawa.

Quebec and Vancouver can also shove it where the sun don't shine while we're at it

Comment

Working...
                                X