Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Politics II

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Apollo wrote: View Post

    Different yet both trying to safeguard against the same thing. They're similar enough to cast some doubts in here about sincerity.
    I dont understand... safeguard against what? You are calling out posters here on a detail of majority which is handled entirely differently in the two systems. If you do not understand the differences "casting some doubts about sincerity" is inappropriate in my view.

    Comment


    • Safeguard against specific pockets controlling an entire country.

      Comment


      • Bendit wrote: View Post

        Like sound bites much? I like context .... so i'll help you...

        He was visiting a First Nations location with the usual major issues ... he walked back the statement. Read carefully, do you disagree with the bold?

        Take a day off... you are much too upset.

        And you think that context helps your point? Okay, dude. Again, the lack of self-awareness is astounding.

        Hey, here's some people you can condescend to from your moral high ground: hundreds of layoffs at Husky today. Perhaps they can take a few days off if they are too upset.....

        Comment


        • Anyone have the stats on turnout and youth turnout? If youth turnout was surprisingly high (they had every reason to stay home for this election), especially in Ontario, you gotta think that Doug Ford and the spectre of Trump got them out to the polls.

          Ford + Trump > Blackface + SNC

          Comment


          • slaw wrote: View Post

            And you think that context helps your point? Okay, dude. Again, the lack of self-awareness is astounding.

            Hey, here's some people you can condescend to from your moral high ground: hundreds of layoffs at Husky today. Perhaps they can take a few days off if they are too upset.....
            I am cool ...on your first sentence. Not surprising at all you would label me as lacking s/awareness. You disagree with me.. a lot!

            Your second sentence, is a major diversion ..has nothing to do with the post contents being discussed... you failed to answer my ask? Perhaps a kernel of truth?

            Comment


            • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
              Anyone have the stats on turnout and youth turnout? If youth turnout was surprisingly high (they had every reason to stay home for this election), especially in Ontario, you gotta think that Doug Ford and the spectre of Trump got them out to the polls.

              Ford + Trump > Blackface + SNC
              It was a quick hear on the radio about the turnout ...slightly higher/about same as '15 ... about 65.?%

              Comment


              • Apollo wrote: View Post
                Safeguard against specific pockets controlling an entire country.
                That sounds conspiratorial Apollo

                If you are referring to the electoral college in the US you maybe surprised to find out why that was included in their constitution to override the one person/one vote natural democratic process.

                Comment


                • Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Safeguard against specific pockets controlling an entire country.
                  One could argue that the Cdn system is working in exactly that way. The "specific pocket" this time around just happens to be AB/SK. A full 65% of voters across the country rejected the CPC platform - maybe "lower taxes and screw climate change" didn't resonate in the expected way to Canadians.

                  Caveat: I am in favour of electoral reform. I don't think it would help the CPC cause, however.
                  Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

                  Comment


                  • Bendit wrote: View Post

                    It was a quick hear on the radio about the turnout ...slightly higher/about same as '15 ... about 65.?%
                    Pretty good, all things considered.

                    Comment


                    • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

                      Pretty good, all things considered.
                      Yes I agree... the actual is 65.9. The largest demographic was the millennial & generation Z ...but would be interesting to find out how much of the 66% they made up.

                      https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/voter...2019-1.5330207

                      Comment


                      • jimmie wrote: View Post

                        One could argue that the Cdn system is working in exactly that way. The "specific pocket" this time around just happens to be AB/SK. A full 65% of voters across the country rejected the CPC platform - maybe "lower taxes and screw climate change" didn't resonate in the expected way to Canadians.

                        Caveat: I am in favour of electoral reform. I don't think it would help the CPC cause, however.
                        C’mon Jimmie
                        Let me gently toss that back to say only 33%of the country accepted the LPC platform.

                        Anyway it’s over.

                        I take solace in that I can now trash talk the one true enemy...the chowderheads followed closely by the Hinkies.
                        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Oct 22nd, 2019, 06:58 PM.

                        Comment


                        • KeonClark wrote: View Post

                          I see that throughout history everytime there's been a minority there's another election in 1 to 3 years, usually 2 years or less. Pardon me as I'm not an expert on Canadian Parliament and the house of commons, but why is that? And do we expect that to be the case again?
                          Yes I expect we head back to the polls inside 3 years.
                          It's nothing legislative.
                          At some point the LPC could decide to call a snap election on an issue we haven’t yet seen. They will try to win back a majority.....or ....
                          The house will get a motion of non confidence over a piece of legislation..most times it’s the budget.

                          Of the two..look for a snap election call.

                          Comment


                          • SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

                            Pretty good, all things considered.
                            Yes...65% is good but 80 would be ideal...I haven’t seen the participation rates diced up by age , region, sex etc yet....
                            but from the results it’s a good bet the 18 to 34s showed up at the polls... A good thing.
                            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Oct 22nd, 2019, 07:12 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Canada’s election results are a victory for the planet


                              Maybe a touch hyperbolic editorial headline but a complimentary piece at the Washington Post on JT's re-election


                              https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...a96_story.html

                              Comment


                              • For balance ...to the venerable Jeff Bezos owned WaPo... a little Canadian content on JT's minority.

                                https://twitter.com/darrylpower/stat...731048450?s=19
                                Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Oct 23rd, 2019, 05:28 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X