Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Politics II

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    For balance ...to the venerable Jeff Bezos owned WaPo... a little Canadian content on JT's minority.

    https://twitter.com/darrylpower/stat...731048450?s=19
    No response... piling on is not nice... so ....I'll just let Wendy's botoxxxed daggers do the talking ...

    Comment


    • Uh-oh ...lying is never good ... Stupid is reaching new levels ... keep talking spanky...

      Comment


      • Bendit wrote: View Post

        No response... piling on is not nice... so ....I'll just let Wendy's botoxxxed daggers do the talking ...
        Yup... The only thing missing from the ice queens glare is greta thunbergs how dare you dubbed into the background.

        Comment


        • Bendit wrote: View Post

          Maybe a touch hyperbolic editorial headline but a complimentary piece at the Washington Post on JT's re-election[/SIZE]

          https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...a96_story.html
          LOL. Yes, shutting down Alberta's economy is a victory for the planet. Okay, then. Remember, these are the super-smart people that will tell you what is good for you - your moral and intellectual superiors - and they are all about luvving the SCiEnCE. This isn't religious fanaticism, no.....

          Comment


          • Didn't the Liberal government throw Alberta a $1.6 billion stimulus? And didn't Trudeau run on getting the Trans Mountain built?

            So much whining - whatever happened to to pulling yourself up by your bootstraps?

            Comment


            • slaw wrote: View Post

              LOL. Yes, shutting down Alberta's economy is a victory for the planet. Okay, then. Remember, these are the super-smart people that will tell you what is good for you - your moral and intellectual superiors - and they are all about luvving the SCiEnCE. This isn't religious fanaticism, no.....
              Oh dear... here we go again ....the moaning about external influences as entirely responsible for what is entirely (to be charitable ... mostly) the reason for the current downturn of any resource based economy which has not diversified. This is getting quite tiresome.

              I am not without sympathy. I got bounced/laidoff from 2 Oil companies so am quite aware of the boom-bust nature of the industry, foreign producing pressures and don't forget consolidation within the industry. Add to that the lagging and unique Canadian political realities of federal-provincial relations .... and we have what we have.

              Have you and your buds in Alberta/Calgary done a little navel gazing at how your provincial leaders have managed your economy? It gives me pause when I see stuff like this:

              Norway’s offshore oil production peaked in 1999 and has been steadily declining. However, it established a sovereign wealth fund with oil payments in 1990 — 14 years after Alberta established its savings fund — and has been adding to it since, effectively turning the country’s physical oil reserve assets into a financial asset worth more than US$1 trillion.

              The value of Alberta’s Heritage Fund was $17.6 billion at the end of 2018.
              And Norway is Socialist I understand?

              How well have the voters of Alberta held the premiers of Alberta responsible for not diversifying Alberta's economy over the last couple of generations? But you would rather piss all over the JT bogeyman for all of the current economic troubles? Were you so hard on Harper?

              You present yourself as a hardcore capitalist-libertarian type... and "personal responsibility" is a large marker laid down by the group. As good card carrying conservatives why don't you hold your provincial managers to a better result managing your economy which includes diversification. Any Green manufacturing initiatives being pursued or is the oil patch poohbahs denying the people of Alberta from pursuing such competitive ventures?

              Here is a fairly revelatory piece on the discussion.

              https://business.financialpost.com/c...l-stuck-on-oil
              Last edited by Bendit; Thu Oct 24th, 2019, 02:37 PM.

              Comment


              • Implement a 5% provincial sales tax (like every other province, except lower) and AB doesn't need any cuts to social programs. But that's not apparently the route Kenney wants to go. Austerity and "hard decisions"... "Austerity" always comes at the expense of the most vulnerable, of course, so that likely won't help those who are suffering from mental illness, etc. And all because, as Bendit mentions above, everyone in the AB oil industry and AB politics has spent the past 30+ years either whistling past the graveyard in ignorance, or actively campaigning against any transition away from a fossil fuel-dependent economy.
                Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

                Comment


                • Another impressive shakedown of his own network's sycophants by the "Judge"... love it... And on the mob boss' favorite program too!!

                  https://video.foxnews.com/v/60973251...#sp=show-clips

                  Comment


                  • jimmie wrote: View Post
                    Implement a 5% provincial sales tax (like every other province, except lower) and AB doesn't need any cuts to social programs. But that's not apparently the route Kenney wants to go. Austerity and "hard decisions"... "Austerity" always comes at the expense of the most vulnerable, of course, so that likely won't help those who are suffering from mental illness, etc. And all because, as Bendit mentions above, everyone in the AB oil industry and AB politics has spent the past 30+ years either whistling past the graveyard in ignorance, or actively campaigning against any transition away from a fossil fuel-dependent economy.
                    SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                    Didn't the Liberal government throw Alberta a $1.6 billion stimulus? And didn't Trudeau run on getting the Trans Mountain built?

                    So much whining - whatever happened to to pulling yourself up by your bootstraps?


                    Flag on the play.

                    Albertans already pay enough in payroll taxes collected at source and deposited in the willing hands of our friends at Revenue Canada. Their problems start when the bean counters in Sudbury skim 20 billion off what Albertans paid and redistribute it amongst others. Ontario had this same issue before it became a have not province under the skillful management firm of Wynne and The Parson, Dalton McGuinty.

                    So they really don’t really need to another consumption tax on the unwashed one more time..They just need to get back more of what they already paid.

                    As for austerity...It’s not austerity when you’re spending more than your taking in. Running a G7 nation is markedly different than running the house I will grant that...but you can’t keep selling the furniture to buy grocery’s as a long term strategy. Some step up earlier than others.

                    Hedging your bet, spreading the risk, diversifying your economy are all good things....but they are generally accompanied by a disintermediatior that forces you to do it. There is no such disintermediator for fossil fuel consumption in today’s world. It continues to grow. Point out three multinational multi billion dollar green companies. I love hearing just transition to the new green economy. There isn’t one. So until that sector appears beyond a McKenna sound byte there is nothing to pack up and retrain workers to. The federalis gave AB a 1.6 billion loan....for a compare..they gave 4B to the auto sector in Ontario and Quebec in 2008. Charity. They wrote it off.

                    Hell...betcha we could buy another pipeline for that

                    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Oct 24th, 2019, 06:01 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Demographic Shift wrote: View Post





                      Flag on the play.

                      Albertans already pay enough in payroll taxes collected at source and deposited in the willing hands of our friends at Revenue Canada. Their problems start when the bean counters in Sudbury skim 20 billion off what Albertans paid and redistribute it amongst others. Ontario had this same issue before it became a have not province under the skillful management firm of Wynne and The Parson, Dalton McGuinty.

                      So they really don’t really need to another consumption tax on the unwashed one more time..They just need to get back more of what they already paid.

                      As for austerity...It’s not austerity when you’re spending more than your taking in. Running a G7 nation is markedly different than running the house I will grant that...but you can’t keep selling the furniture to buy grocery’s as a long term strategy. Some step up earlier than others.

                      Hedging your bet, spreading the risk, diversifying your economy are all good things....but they are generally accompanied by a disintermediatior that forces you to do it. There is no such disintermediator for fossil fuel consumption in today’s world. It continues to grow. Point out three multinational multi billion dollar green companies. I love hearing just transition to the new green economy. There isn’t one. So until that sector appears beyond a McKenna sound byte there is nothing to pack up and retrain workers to. The federalis gave AB a 1.6 billion loan....for a compare..they gave 4B to the auto sector in Ontario and Quebec in 2008. Charity. They wrote it off.

                      Hell...betcha we could buy another pipeline for that
                      Demo, with due respect you are mixing metaphors with certain processes/payments/transfers which provides a bit of a soup for my feeble mind vis a vis the whole matter about how Alberta is getting squeezed and by some interpretations an unwanted forced copulation with the mothership we call Ottawa.

                      This Equalization payment process is guided by the Federal-Provincial Arrangements Act ... not some arbitrary annual allocation or payment of funds but via a predetermined agreed upon formula. I am not informed about the formula details but fundamentally it determines the have & have not provinces. This so there is a somewhat equitable balance in how all Canadians can live across the country in relative equality. A laudable sharing objective in my view.

                      The formula mentioned above I think is rejigged/discussed every 5 years through a negotiation amongst Ottawa and the provinces so there is the possibility for grievances to be heard.

                      Since this a complex subject with moving parts allow me to provide some "expert" opinion on the issues & sore points:

                      While Quebec is set to receive $13 billion in equalization payments next year, many Albertans are scratching their head over no money for the province.

                      Finance Minister Bill Morneau recently released the numbers for the next two years of equalization payments with Quebec receiving a $1.4 billion boost while Alberta and Ontario won’t receive any payments for 2019 and 2020.

                      While many Conservative politicians believe this move is shunning Alberta from the rest of the country an economist with the University of Calgary, Trevor Tombe, said that’s not the case.

                      “We are the highest income province by far so there’s no claim for us to be receiving equalization dollars. I think a lot of Albertans look at the provincial budget and see a large deficit here, and then they look out east and see provinces such as Quebec that don’t have similarly large deficits.”

                      Tombe said that equalization payments are transferring funds to provinces with weaker economies and is not based on provincial budgets.

                      The equalization payment formula is revisited every five years and is usually negotiated by the provinces and the Federal Finance Minister. However, Tombe said that those negotiations didn’t happen this year.

                      While there does appear to be confusion around equalization payments for Albertans, Tombe said he understands where a lot of the opposition comes from.

                      “It’s less about the formula, and it’s more about people’s broader impressions of whether the Federal Government is adequately addressing challenges that Alberta faces. Quebec’s opposition to pipelines, for example, Energy East, it’s frustrating to some Albertans.”
                      The bolded above are mine with nothing changed/deleted.

                      https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2018/12...rta-economist/

                      Please point to any falsities and for that matter suggest what/how in your view Albertans can be allayed.

                      I would make another point re Quebec and that individuals are taxed higher there than anyone else in the country while of course AB has no prov. tax. These are choices each province makes and as noted earlier the eq. payments are not based on prov. budgets. One other pt. Quebec does not in principle object to pipelines ...rather oil lines not gas ones.

                      This is the deepest I have gone into this subject ... so am learning... but interested in trying to find if there is a truly inequitable treatment of Alberta & Sask. in this matter. We must all remember that this is a Canada wide project and the long game is always in play. eg. In my readings I found that for the first time in 2009-10 is when ON first received eq. payments. I am glad that per above we shall be contributors again for the next 2 years. So, circumstances change but the project remains.

                      Comment


                      • Bendit wrote: View Post

                        And Norway is Socialist I understand?

                        How well have the voters of Alberta held the premiers of Alberta responsible for not diversifying Alberta's economy over the last couple of generations? But you would rather piss all over the JT bogeyman for all of the current economic troubles? Were you so hard on Harper?

                        You present yourself as a hardcore capitalist-libertarian type... and "personal responsibility" is a large marker laid down by the group. As good card carrying conservatives why don't you hold your provincial managers to a better result managing your economy which includes diversification. Any Green manufacturing initiatives being pursued or is the oil patch poohbahs denying the people of Alberta from pursuing such competitive ventures?

                        Here is a fairly revelatory piece on the discussion.

                        https://business.financialpost.com/c...l-stuck-on-oil
                        I must have missed the part where Norway is a province and has billions of dollars used by another government. Give us back our $600,000,000,000 and we'd have some more in the tank. We have plenty of money if we'd just stop giving it all to Ottawa.

                        And the government doesn't 'diversify' an economy. This is the stupidest talking point among the Canadian left, so it's no surprise you've adopted it as one of your own. As for the Alberta economy, consider if the Ontario economy were to lose its entire manufacturing base: would the entire province simply pivot to other industries? Perhaps unicorn racing?

                        I am not a capitalist-libertarian type (whatever that is).

                        Comment


                        • jimmie wrote: View Post
                          Implement a 5% provincial sales tax (like every other province, except lower) and AB doesn't need any cuts to social programs. But that's not apparently the route Kenney wants to go. Austerity and "hard decisions"... "Austerity" always comes at the expense of the most vulnerable, of course, so that likely won't help those who are suffering from mental illness, etc. And all because, as Bendit mentions above, everyone in the AB oil industry and AB politics has spent the past 30+ years either whistling past the graveyard in ignorance, or actively campaigning against any transition away from a fossil fuel-dependent economy.
                          Go check out how much AB spends on social programs relative to every other province. Go blow your mind. We don't need a sales tax. The answer to every problem is not to give the government more money. Also, why do you progressives love regressive taxes like sales taxes? Why do you hate the poor?

                          Comment


                          • An interesting article on British politics but this is my favourite part cause it describes people like Bendit better than I ever could:

                            The technologists of power are today’s true rationalists. That superior intelligence is found among the practitioners of populism is a fact of our time. When liberals talk about reason they mean a mishmash of ideas they picked up at university. Scraps of Rawls, Dworkin and Thomas Piketty, together with a smattering of modish conspiracy theories, form the folk wisdom of the thinking classes. Rationality means deferring to this ragbag of ephemera and ignoring enduring truths about the deciding forces in politics.
                            Rather than being the creation of a fanatical Eurosceptic minority, Tory populism is a sign that the Conservative Party is reinventing itself again just as Britain becomes ungovernable.

                            Comment


                            • slaw wrote: View Post

                              Go check out how much AB spends on social programs relative to every other province. Go blow your mind. We don't need a sales tax. The answer to every problem is not to give the government more money. Also, why do you progressives love regressive taxes like sales taxes? Why do you hate the poor?
                              Everyone and everything belongs to the government, we use it at their leisure. They aren't communists. The government raising taxes is just them getting back that money people stole from poor Justine.

                              Remember we are a free society, none of your stuff is yours.
                              Last edited by Miekenstien; Fri Oct 25th, 2019, 08:13 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Miekenstien wrote: View Post

                                Every and everything belongs to the government, we use it at their leisure. They aren't communists. The government raising taxes is just them getting back that money people stole from poor Justine.

                                Remember we are a free society, none of your stuff is yours.
                                I mean, we literally just had a tax revolt in Calgary cause businesses could no longer afford to pay property taxes without going bankrupt and we have tens of thousands of people without work but these geniuses, 'just put in a sales tax and then you don't have to cut anything!'. It's like, 'just diversify your economy!'. No actual consideration is given to the particulars or consequences of anything.

                                It's as dumb as the whole 'we'll retrain the oil and gas workers!'. Like, have these morons ever met field guys? These guys ain't learning to code. And what do you do with anyone over 45? Even if you retrain them, no one is hiring ~50 year old people in brand new jobs. Like, how fucking stupid are these people? What color is the sky in their fantasyland? Oh, they can get green jobs, durr! Quick: can any of you economic wizards tell me how many people an operating wind farm employs per windmill? I'll give you a hint: it's a number approaching zero.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X