Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Politics II

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • slaw wrote: View Post

    I must have missed the part where Norway is a province and has billions of dollars used by another government. Give us back our $600,000,000,000 and we'd have some more in the tank. We have plenty of money if we'd just stop giving it all to Ottawa.

    And the government doesn't 'diversify' an economy. This is the stupidest talking point among the Canadian left, so it's no surprise you've adopted it as one of your own. As for the Alberta economy, consider if the Ontario economy were to lose its entire manufacturing base: would the entire province simply pivot to other industries? Perhaps unicorn racing?

    I am not a capitalist-libertarian type (whatever that is).
    So, you run out of answers and make stuff up? Nice.

    I can't really reply can I? but shall just make the point that the comparison of heritage funds was made by the Financial Post.
    It is Alberta which has the within the top 5 largest reserves in the world and cannot keep up with socialist Norway on a heritage fund? Perhaps you do need a prov. tax. Right. Next excuse is probably that Ottawa siphoned all of the wealth away from the province.

    Moan, moan... moan.... blame Ottawa for the new Kenney austerity budget.

    Comment


    • slaw wrote: View Post

      I mean, we literally just had a tax revolt in Calgary cause businesses could no longer afford to pay property taxes without going bankrupt and we have tens of thousands of people without work but these geniuses, 'just put in a sales tax and then you don't have to cut anything!'. It's like, 'just diversify your economy!'. No actual consideration is given to the particulars or consequences of anything.

      It's as dumb as the whole 'we'll retrain the oil and gas workers!'. Like, have these morons ever met field guys? These guys ain't learning to code. And what do you do with anyone over 45? Even if you retrain them, no one is hiring ~50 year old people in brand new jobs. Like, how fucking stupid are these people? What color is the sky in their fantasyland? Oh, they can get green jobs, durr! Quick: can any of you economic wizards tell me how many people an operating wind farm employs per windmill? I'll give you a hint: it's a number approaching zero.
      i haven’t heard one constructive idea from you. It’s also clear that you don’t believe in climate change, which deters any real discussion of the issues confronting AB. You should probably lean back on calling the rest of us idiots and do some reading yourself on the reasons AB is in the situation you are in. You still haven’t explained what you think is the role of AB governments and the oil industry in this mess...
      Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

      Comment


      • slaw wrote: View Post
        An interesting article on British politics but this is my favourite part cause it describes people like Bendit better than I ever could:


        You either give me too much credit or on the other hand ...no credit at all. The ambiguities continue.

        That superior intelligence is found among the practitioners of populism is a fact of our time.
        Hahaha. Thae author has not been following events in America.

        With the major current representatives of populism, Boris, Donald, Victor (Orban) and the Italian pm whose name escapes me and has lost his job ... as will the other two at least ... populism is destined for a short life within democratic, pluralistic societies. John Gray has taken leave of his senses I think. John will be left to write about the only populists to survive ...autocrats and dictators. Shall have to follow up on the details of your link more closely.

        I apologize to the others I linked with the cheap criminality of Donald Trump. Slaw made do it.

        Comment


        • slaw wrote: View Post

          I mean, we literally just had a tax revolt in Calgary cause businesses could no longer afford to pay property taxes without going bankrupt and we have tens of thousands of people without work but these geniuses, 'just put in a sales tax and then you don't have to cut anything!'. It's like, 'just diversify your economy!'. No actual consideration is given to the particulars or consequences of anything.

          It's as dumb as the whole 'we'll retrain the oil and gas workers!'. Like, have these morons ever met field guys? These guys ain't learning to code. And what do you do with anyone over 45? Even if you retrain them, no one is hiring ~50 year old people in brand new jobs. Like, how fucking stupid are these people? What color is the sky in their fantasyland? Oh, they can get green jobs, durr! Quick: can any of you economic wizards tell me how many people an operating wind farm employs per windmill? I'll give you a hint: it's a number approaching zero.
          Everyone understands how difficult it is for you, but they are saving the world, so sacrificing your life is a small sacrifice. Understand Toronto feels it too. It's like 8 bucks for a latte there.

          Comment


          • Lol....

            Comment


            • Bendit wrote: View Post
              Lol....

              Comment


              • slaw wrote: View Post

                I mean, we literally just had a tax revolt in Calgary cause businesses could no longer afford to pay property taxes without going bankrupt and we have tens of thousands of people without work but these geniuses, 'just put in a sales tax and then you don't have to cut anything!'. It's like, 'just diversify your economy!'. No actual consideration is given to the particulars or consequences of anything.

                It's as dumb as the whole 'we'll retrain the oil and gas workers!'. Like, have these morons ever met field guys? These guys ain't learning to code. And what do you do with anyone over 45? Even if you retrain them, no one is hiring ~50 year old people in brand new jobs. Like, how fucking stupid are these people? What color is the sky in their fantasyland? Oh, they can get green jobs, durr! Quick: can any of you economic wizards tell me how many people an operating wind farm employs per windmill? I'll give you a hint: it's a number approaching zero.
                While whats happening in AB is not as devastating yet, I liken it a little to when the cod moratorium hit NL during the early 90's. It shook that province on a level that it never recovered from and many retrained and migrated to AB, ON and other provinces to find work. There's nowhere for people in AB to run to however when things get really bad. At least they've been given many warnings to pivot... Pivot to what, I do not know. It's a tough situation to be sure and I'm not confident in Mr. Dressup coming up with a solution.

                Comment


                • Apollo wrote: View Post

                  While whats happening in AB is not as devastating yet, I liken it a little to when the cod moratorium hit NL during the early 90's. It shook that province on a level that it never recovered from and many retrained and migrated to AB, ON and other provinces to find work. There's nowhere for people in AB to run to however when things get really bad. At least they've been given many warnings to pivot... Pivot to what, I do not know. It's a tough situation to be sure and I'm not confident in Mr. Dressup coming up with a solution.
                  I came across the following article recently. The contents are encouraging. There is no question it needs to be a federal-provincial partnership. And there have been previous efforts to diversify going back to Lougheed ...they failed ...I don't really know why.

                  https://thetyee.ca/News/2019/07/31/A...my-Transition/

                  Comment


                  • Apollo wrote: View Post

                    While whats happening in AB is not as devastating yet, I liken it a little to when the cod moratorium hit NL during the early 90's. It shook that province on a level that it never recovered from and many retrained and migrated to AB, ON and other provinces to find work. There's nowhere for people in AB to run to however when things get really bad. At least they've been given many warnings to pivot... Pivot to what, I do not know. It's a tough situation to be sure and I'm not confident in Mr. Dressup coming up with a solution.
                    about 60 percent of my family that stayed in nova scotia, had moved out to alberta for oil work. now they are all back in nova scotia. the oil fields were supplying jobs to the shittiest places all over canada, and the workers money was being sent back to those provinces.

                    Comment


                    • jimmie wrote: View Post

                      i haven’t heard one constructive idea from you. It’s also clear that you don’t believe in climate change, which deters any real discussion of the issues confronting AB. You should probably lean back on calling the rest of us idiots and do some reading yourself on the reasons AB is in the situation you are in. You still haven’t explained what you think is the role of AB governments and the oil industry in this mess...
                      The role of the AB government right now is to protect Albertans from the people trying to destroy their livelihood: the progressive parties and their voters in Ontario and Quebec. A referendum on separation should be held forthwith. Futile court cases and pointless referendums on equalization are failure theatre. If Albertans choose to separate, then orderly negotiations should be held with Ottawa. In the meantime, the Alberta govenrmetn should be working to change its structure to take on the responsibilities of a sovereign state and reaching out to the US on defense and trade matters. If Alberta doesn't choose to separate, then it really doesn't matter what happens next. My suggestion would be to start voting Liberal and beg for money from Ontario, which will be supporting everyone.

                      The role of the oil industry is the same as everywhere else in the world: pump as much fucking oil and gas out of the ground as you can and sell it for the most money you can get. Employ as many people as possible and make Canada rich. The end.

                      As for climate change and your Holocaust smear, no one denies climate change. Canada could cut all of its emissions tomorrow and it would have zero effect on anything. Here's my question to you guys who WUV the SciENcE: how much will global temperatures decrease if Canada stops all oil and gas production? If the goal is to stop the end of the world due to rising temperatures, this seems like a simple enough question and rather important as well.

                      Though, I do have some other suggestions about how Canada could cut emissions. 1. Ban manufacturing in Ontario. 2. Ban cars in Ontario and Quebec. 3. Ban all imports of oil and gas. Let's all chip in!! With all of that combined, Canada could be a world leader in fighting climate change! Surely, you aren't a denier and would be on board with those suggestions....

                      Comment


                      • slaw wrote: View Post

                        Though, I do have some other suggestions about how Canada could cut emissions. 1. Ban manufacturing in Ontario. 2. Ban cars in Ontario and Quebec. 3. Ban all imports of oil and gas. Let's all chip in!! With all of that combined, Canada could be a world leader in fighting climate change! Surely, you aren't a denier and would be on board with those suggestions....
                        Your cynicism, sarcasm and general bad humour is noted and unfortunate.

                        You are being far too belligerent on this matter I am afraid. I do not disagree that resource rich provinces AB & Sk. (and Canada) will be impacted because controls are placed on production to satisfy voters wants to control pollution. Canada is one of the highest per capita polluting countries in the world.... and it's not coming from the cars in Ontario & Quebec. Habits need to be changed everywhere.

                        Polls have consistently shown about 60+% of Canadians want something done about CC. These numbers are in sync with the cumulative voting breakdown in the past election.

                        Whether you accept it or not, Canada is politically a progressive minded country and as John Gray that eminent Liberal philosopher/academic (who you linked in part to slag me last week) identified "the common strands in liberal thought as being individualist, egalitarian, meliorist and universalist.". I plead guilty.

                        These strands were also found in the voters who cast their preference to the Liberal, NDP, Green parties and would add a large percentage of the BQ regardless of their separatist feelings. The numbers indicate a two-thirds to one-third split. That's fairly decisive.


                        The CPC (and like minded) seem to just want to be dragged into the 21st century on some matters.


                        Here is the voting break down in the election:

                        Total turn out: 66% (of eligible)

                        CPC: 34.4 %
                        People’s Party: 1.6
                        Independent: 0.4
                        Christian Heritage Party: 0.1
                        _______________________
                        Liberals: 33.1
                        NDP: 15.9
                        Bloc Québécois: 7.7
                        Greens: 6.5

                        There is an article link in a reply to Apollo which may help.

                        Last edited by Bendit; Mon Oct 28th, 2019, 05:46 PM.

                        Comment





                        • The hero doggie injured in the Baghdadi raid

                          https://www.cagle.com/author/daryl-cagle/
                          Last edited by Bendit; Mon Oct 28th, 2019, 05:47 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Bendit wrote: View Post

                            Polls have consistently shown about 60+% of Canadians want something done about CC. These numbers are in sync with the cumulative voting breakdown in the past election.

                            Excellent. Then government should do something about it! I think the best starting point would be banning importing foreign fossil fuels. After all, it's not only all the emissions here that occur but all the production emissions and transport emissions. Think of all the emissions we can cut out! Quebeckers and Ontarians will be on board with that, right? I mean, it's not like they are climate deniers or anything. Let's make a deal: Quebec is banned from importing oil and gas and Ontario does away with its manufacturing base and Alberta will give up oil and gas. Deal?

                            What? No deal? Why do you hate the climate? Are you a denier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????? How dare you!!!!!!

                            Comment


                            • slaw wrote: View Post

                              Excellent. Then government should do something about it! I think the best starting point would be banning importing foreign fossil fuels. After all, it's not only all the emissions here that occur but all the production emissions and transport emissions. Think of all the emissions we can cut out! Quebeckers and Ontarians will be on board with that, right? I mean, it's not like they are climate deniers or anything. Let's make a deal: Quebec is banned from importing oil and gas and Ontario does away with its manufacturing base and Alberta will give up oil and gas. Deal?

                              What? No deal? Why do you hate the climate? Are you a denier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????? How dare you!!!!!!
                              Umm ...

                              In Canada, the federal government implemented a coordinated nation-wide carbon price, beginning at $20 per tonne of carbon dioxide equivalent emissions (tCO2e) in 2019 and rising to $50 per tonne. As of 2019, over 70 jurisdictions, representing about 20% of global GHG emissions, have put a price on carbon.

                              It has begun ... and it seems the entire country is invested. Whatever CO2 you produce, you pay for it ...no exceptions. Your last sentence about Ontario's manufacturing base is covered.

                              Gonna move the goalposts again?


                              Comment


                              • Bendit wrote: View Post

                                Umm ...

                                In Canada, the federal government implemented a coordinated nation-wide carbon price, beginning at $20 per tonne of carbon dioxide equivalent emissions (tCO2e) in 2019 and rising to $50 per tonne. As of 2019, over 70 jurisdictions, representing about 20% of global GHG emissions, have put a price on carbon.

                                It has begun ... and it seems the entire country is invested. Whatever CO2 you produce, you pay for it ...no exceptions. Your last sentence about Ontario's manufacturing base is covered.

                                Gonna move the goalposts again?

                                Nice assumptive close on the whole country is behind.
                                Thats just an unabashed cheerleader statement. You can’t prove or disprove that Mulroney like whopper.

                                Trudeau and McKenna are placing their carbon tax squarely on the shoulders of its citizens and have by and large looked away on heavy polluters ...

                                Most firms that produce 50 megatons of carbon dioxide or similar levels of pollution a year won’t face any penalties until their emissions reach 80 per cent of the average within their specific industry. The previous limit was 70 per cent, according to a framework published July 27 by Canada’s environment ministry.

                                The limit will rise to 90 per cent in four industries facing “high” competitive risks — producers of cement, iron and steel, lime and nitrogen fertilizers. Details of the revised policy were reported earlier Wednesday by the Globe and Mail newspaper.”

                                The reason for this exemption is a grudging acknowledgement that this tax, like any other, makes competitive industries less competitive. The faculty lounge debate on the effectiveness of the carbon tax falls down when faced with the boots on the ground realties of a competitive economy and jobs for people, even ones outside of SNC Lavalin, will suffer at the hands of a shoot yourself in the head taxation policy.

                                An observation to me is that Climate change is religion. Just as the Spanish Inquisition broached no heretics so does modern day climate evangelism. Those who are not full converts into the new religion are labelled as deniers rather than heretics by the new Tomás de Torquemadas of the Climate clergy. The Science of Suzuki apparently has no holes in it and those who question it are immediately branded as deniers of the faith.This modern day crusade even sports its own Joan of Arc in St. Greta telling all who listen that the next December 21st, 2012 is in 12 years. Prior to this Al Gore, the Jimmy Swaggart of the climate apocalypse said the world would be toast by 2016 in his documentary on the coming Climate Armageddon “An Inconvenient Truth.”

                                Yet here we are..three years past the Al Gore best before date. Penance must be upon us as Saint Greta of Sweden has given us a reprieve to 2030. For certain this time the end of days will for double dog dare sure be true...This time it’s true.


                                Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Oct 29th, 2019, 09:54 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X