Everything Politics II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

In what sense? The way people vote? Cause I couldnt disagree more. In most ridings, 90% of people dont lick about their MP and when election time comes you're either voting for a party or a leader.

I do agree however that winning most seats is what matters, and unfortunately the seats per population are over represented in Quebec, and the maritimes. Alberta is under represented. Shocker.
    By MP I really meant party (ie, the person in your riding that represents that party) Most people vote for the party and not the PM in my opinion. I live in a riding that always votes PC. We had a by-election because the former MP retired.. didn't matter, the next guy up for PC won in a landslide.

And I'm sure there are ridings that prefer Liberal over PC and it has nothing to do with who the PM will be.

Alberta should have more seats. They only have 21*, where as Manitoba and Saskatchewan each have 14. Alberta last time I checked has more people there than Manitoba and Saskatchewan combined.

BC should get a couple of more seats as well.

I'd move 8 seats out of the Prairies.. give 6 to Alberta, and the other 2 to BC. But I'm a nobody.

*Edit - they have 21 seats, not 22.
    Last edited by planetmars; Thu Sep 19th, 2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

Well the first Politics thread was deleted long before the Dynasty thread, so that may still be the case. Lol
      Bendit pointed it out and asked Doc about it like 2-3 weeks after the site change over.
      Someone out there isn't as honest as moi.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

By MP I really meant party (ie, the person in your riding that represents that party) Most people vote for the party and not the PM in my opinion. I live in a riding that always votes PC. We had a by-election because the former MP retired.. didn't matter, the next guy up for PC won in a landslide.

And I'm sure there are ridings that prefer Liberal over PC and it has nothing to do with who the PM will be.

Alberta should have more seats. They only have 21*, where as Manitoba and Saskatchewan each have 14. Alberta last time I checked has more people there than Manitoba and Saskatchewan combined.

BC should get a couple of more seats as well.

I'd move 8 seats out of the Prairies.. give 6 to Alberta, and the other 2 to BC. But I'm a nobody.

*Edit - they have 21 seats, not 22.
        The PM is the party. People bought into the idea that they were getting Optimus Prime Minister. They later realized they voted for Shia Labeouf's stunt double.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

The PM is the party. People bought into the idea that they were getting Optimus Prime Minister. They later realized they voted for Shia Labeouf's stunt double.
          People voted for Trudeau the first time around because he legalized pot, and they were tired of Harper. It had very little to do with his name. I think you might be mistaking Canada for the US with how people vote.

Comment

People voted for Trudeau the first time around because he legalized pot, and they were tired of Harper. It had very little to do with his name. I think you might be mistaking Canada for the US with how people vote.
            It had everything to do with his name. Its the exact reason why the Liberal party of Canada picked him. He had no political experience, it was all name. His lack of experience has shined through. Now they're screwed.

Comment

It had everything to do with his name. Its the exact reason why the Liberal party of Canada picked him. He had no political experience, it was all name. His lack of experience has shined through. Now they're screwed.
              But you are insinuating that the voting public are that dumb though. I'm saying they aren't.. not in Canada anyway. I think Canadians for the most part understand the political show that the Liberals put forward by having Trudeau as their leader. They voted him in anyway because they liked their platform.

Yeah the Liberals picked the drama teacher with the famous dad.. they could have picked an inanimate carbon rod.. and probably would have won anyway.

Like I mentioned earlier.. most vote for the party here, not the man.

Comment

But you are insinuating that the voting public are that dumb though. I'm saying they aren't.. not in Canada anyway. I think Canadians for the most part understand the political show that the Liberals put forward by having Trudeau as their leader. They voted him in anyway because they liked their platform.

Yeah the Liberals picked the drama teacher with the famous dad.. they could have picked an inanimate carbon rod.. and probably would have won anyway.

Like I mentioned earlier.. most vote for the party here, not the man.
                I'm not insinuating anything. I'm telling you the voting public got fooled by a brilliant marketing campaign. Intelligent people get fooled all the time in various way. We live in an age where there isn't enough hours in the day to vet everything coming at us all.

If everyone voted for the party then power would never change hands. Good marketers/sales people know that people generally act in favor of their own self interest.

Comment

I'm not insinuating anything. I'm telling you the voting public got fooled by a brilliant marketing campaign. Intelligent people get fooled all the time in various way. We live in an age where there isn't enough hours in the day to vet everything coming at us all.

If everyone voted for the party then power would never change hands. Good marketers/sales people know that people generally act in favor of their own self interest.
                  If the man behind the curtain has been revealed to all like you are saying than the PC should win in a majority. I'm not buying it. We'll see I guess.

Comment

If the man behind the curtain has been revealed to all like you are saying than the PC should win in a majority. I'm not buying it. We'll see I guess.
                    I don't know why it must be one extreme or the other with you. There's lots of prime real estate in the grey area. Sheer is no paragon of virtue himself. I am not excited about the prospects of Sheer even though I'd like Trudeau to exit stage right. I think what you'll get is a similar outcome to that of the US election: a tight race where it essentially boils down to picking the lesser of two evils.

Comment

I think the idea of Trudeau as a know-nothing frat boy trust fund kidwho has achieved his status solely as a result of his last name is pretty well established at this point. But the question is whether Liberal voters and other normies will vote Liberal because they prefer the party to the alternatives and want a party in power that will reflect their views and keep the gravy train rolling for them. We don't know that yet.

I'm personally unsure about what it all means but one thing that could happen is the end of the cancel culture when it comes to politicians. How can any Liberal from this point out call out anyone for racist things in their past when they are defending Trudeau now? I'd like to think the sheer hypocrisy of that is too much for even the staunchest partisan. At the very least, I don't think such accusations will resonate the same after this. And that's a good thing.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I think the idea of Trudeau as a know-nothing frat boy trust fund kidwho has achieved his status solely as a result of his last name is pretty well established at this point. But the question is whether Liberal voters and other normies will vote Liberal because they prefer the party to the alternatives and want a party in power that will reflect their views and keep the gravy train rolling for them. We don't know that yet.

I'm personally unsure about what it all means but one thing that could happen is the end of the cancel culture when it comes to politicians. How can any Liberal from this point out call out anyone for racist things in their past when they are defending Trudeau now? I'd like to think the sheer hypocrisy of that is too much for even the staunchest partisan. At the very least, I don't think such accusations will resonate the same after this. And that's a good thing.
                        We all know there's a large portion that will only ever vote Liberal until the day they're buried in the dirt, and the same is true on the conservative side. Portions of those don't vote every time however, only when they feel inspired. I think many of those "lazy liberals" aren't exactly inspired this time around.

The key is those middle voters, the group that can vote either way at any time. Its the same in the states, theres only a real a few electoral votes realistically up for grabs every election. Our version of Ohio and Florida is the Golden Horseshoe.

How many seats can the cons take? And unfortunately, Andrew Scheer is just frankly pathetic. His faux outrage last night at Trudeaus cosplay story just reeked of phoniness. He would have been better off not commenting yet at all.
                        Last edited by KeonClark; Thu Sep 19th, 2019, 01:48 PM.
                        It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

• Amusing & disappointing to read how many are caught in the progressive woke trap of racist consciousness. This is a distorted argument being bandied about ... and I smell dirty tricks in a political campaign.

Simply put, there is a intended or unintended conflation of the black face phenomena as practiced in the USofA. That is ugly and is racist precisely because of the very real history of slavery (and with the native Americans, their slaughter) there. Mimicking and parodying either should rightly be shunned & condemned.

What JT did was attend an Arabian Nights costume party at a school in Canada. I guess he likes going full bore with skin tone change as well. It would be interesting to canvas our brown tinged citizenry if they come close to feeling the same level of outrage felt by any black person about blackface in the US. Another analogy: costume parties occur all over the world and I have seen attendees dressed up in all manner of African or Indian costume and even change of skin hue. So what? Was there a societal or cultural putdown? There was an Alladin movie recently with Gyllenhall in the lead role all browned up... should that be condemned as well? A white man trying to foist himself off as an Arabian Nights hero?

Personally I think JT made a larger mistake by apologizing. That gives me more pause. He caved when he did nothing wrong in 1988 (or whenever). That is in stark contrast with Gov. Northam in Virginia and his saga of blackface.

Comment

• Haven't seen Jake as Aladdin but I'd imagine its sort of like him as the Prince of Persia?

Or will Hollywood go the route of Justin?

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                              Amusing & disappointing to read how many are caught in the progressive woke trap of racist consciousness. This is a distorted argument being bandied about ... and I smell dirty tricks in a political campaign.

Simply put, there is a intended or unintended conflation of the black face phenomena as practiced in the USofA. That is ugly and is racist precisely because of the very real history of slavery (and with the native Americans, their slaughter) there. Mimicking and parodying either should rightly be shunned & condemned.

What JT did was attend an Arabian Nights costume party at a school in Canada. I guess he likes going full bore with skin tone change as well. It would be interesting to canvas our brown tinged citizenry if they come close to feeling the same level of outrage felt by any black person about blackface in the US. Another analogy: costume parties occur all over the world and I have seen attendees dressed up in all manner of African or Indian costume and even change of skin hue. So what? Was there a societal or cultural putdown? There was an Alladin movie recently with Gyllenhall in the lead role all browned up... should that be condemned as well? A white man trying to foist himself off as an Arabian Nights hero?

Personally I think JT made a larger mistake by apologizing. That gives me more pause. He caved when he did nothing wrong in 1988 (or whenever). That is in stark contrast with Gov. Northam in Virginia and his saga of blackface.
                              This is the greatest post in the history of the Politics Threads. At first, you think it's satire. But then, you realize it's serious and it's even funnier. Or maybe it is satire? And that's just the first sentence? By the end, who can tell? Anyway, it's absolutely awesome. Laurentian of Arabia is the gift that keeps on giving.

Comment

• I don't think there's anything wrong with apologizing, especially if it's something that you're genuinely sorry/embarrassed about that might offend people. We're Canadian for crying out loud - if we can't apologize what can we do?

I despise this Trumpian tactic of never admitting error regardless of how egregious your errors are.

Comment

Working...
                                X