No announcement yet.

Everything Politics II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• they think incubation might be as long as 24 days, and infected numbers up to 10-40 times higher than reported.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
      well played mr trudeau. well played.
      https://ca.yahoo.com/news/trudeau-co...175455893.html
      another 10 million gone.
      Isn't he going to tour Africa to drum up support for a spot on the UN security council? Its likely a political play to help gain support for that. Just a guess but I don't think he's doing this for charity.

Comment

they think incubation might be as long as 24 days, and infected numbers up to 10-40 times higher than reported.

I wonder what percentage is outside the 14 day window? The median is a three day incubation.

Comment

• MORE than 100 US troops reportedly suffered traumatic brain injuries in Iran's missile strike - after Trump said no one was "seriously hurt."

The US military experienced over a 50 percent surge in cases of TBI after the missile attack on the Ain al-Asad military base last month, according to Reuters.

The president initially downplayed their injuries from the strike on January 8, insisting they were "trauma headaches."
          https://www.the-sun.com/news/384961/...-strike-trump/

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
            Isn't he going to tour Africa to drum up support for a spot on the UN security council? Its likely a political play to help gain support for that. Just a guess but I don't think he's doing this for charity.
            yes, because that's what's most important to canadians. we don't have 10 million to give away in aid, and i was positive it was bad to give conditional aid, like really really bad, almost the worst thing a leader could do, jeopardizes the entire country's security and foreign policy. anyway we are borrowing 10 million to give away, and you and me will pay that 10 million plus whatever it compounds at the end of the money hill. and some african wives of rich men will start new businesses and immediately apply for grants, and receive them.

Comment

yes, because that's what's most important to canadians. we don't have 10 million to give away in aid, and i was positive it was bad to give conditional aid, like really really bad, almost the worst thing a leader could do, jeopardizes the entire country's security and foreign policy. anyway we are borrowing 10 million to give away, and you and me will pay that 10 million plus whatever it compounds at the end of the money hill. and some african wives of rich men will start new businesses and immediately apply for grants, and receive them.
              Whether or not its a good investment can't be determined based on where it goes. Whether or not its a good investment can only be determined based on how it helps improve trade in Africa and standing (influence) in the UN. Canada is very different coast to coast and I don't think you're the universal voice of Canadians. Perhaps its a bad move, perhaps it's a good move, either way that's not where I was going with what I said. I said there was purpose behind it and that purpose for a change appears to be geared towards money and power; two primary concerns of any healthy nation.

I agree that many Canadians could use $10,000,000. No one would debate that.

Comment

Whether or not its a good investment can't be determined based on where it goes. Whether or not its a good investment can only be determined based on how it helps improve trade in Africa and standing (influence) in the UN. Canada is very different coast to coast and I don't think you're the universal voice of Canadians. Perhaps its a bad move, perhaps it's a good move, either way that's not where I was going with what I said. I said there was purpose behind it and that purpose for a change appears to be geared towards money and power; two primary concerns of any healthy nation.
                I agree that many Canadians could use $10,000,000. No one would debate that.
                how is it in anyway a good move for canadians to borrow money, and pay that back with interest, to give it away? how does that help 1 single canadian? how does a seat on the un, that north korea is qualified for, help any canadian? just one single canadian.

Comment

how is it in anyway a good move for canadians to borrow money, and pay that back with interest, to give it away? how does that help 1 single canadian? how does a seat on the un, that north korea is qualified for, help any canadian? just one single canadian.
                  Entrepreneurs make fortunes by leveraging debt. If Canadian relations in Africa improve to the point of landing trade deals then Canadians clearly benefit. China is moving through Africa securing deals left, right and center because it benefits China for the same reasons: money and influence (power).

In terms of the seat on the security council, I don't have an answer for you. I'm not a Trudeau supporter or a "Liberal" trying to defend some belief, I'm just giving you my view of this particular event. If the goal is money and power then I can at least understand the attempt and not write it off completely as 'Justin wasting Canadian's money for no reason at all outside of ideology, with no possible scenario in sight where it helps Canadian interests'.

Comment

Entrepreneurs make fortunes by leveraging debt. If Canadian relations in Africa improve to the point of landing trade deals then Canadians clearly benefit. China is moving through Africa securing deals left, right and center because it benefits China for the same reasons: money and influence (power).

In terms of the seat on the security council, I don't have an answer for you. I'm not a Trudeau supporter or a "Liberal" trying to defend some belief, I'm just giving you my view of this particular event. If the goal is money and power then I can at least understand the attempt and not write it off completely as 'Justin wasting Canadian's money for no reason at all outside of ideology, with no possible scenario in sight where it helps Canadian interests'.
                    china has done no charity. china is not borrowing money to give away. they are offering currupt leaders technology for credit the chinese know they can't pay back, and then negotiating the african country's natural resources away. the chinese are colonizing africa.

the african country can borrow money for it's peoples use. if this is a trade deal even the fail we give india 750 million, they give us 250 million is better than this.

no one you give free money to, respects you. you are the sucker.

edit add: does your first sentence mean we should all short sell canada, and quicken it's demise?
                    Last edited by Miekenstien; Tue Feb 11th, 2020, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• China has given African nations grants, along with interest free loans and other loans in the billions. What Trudeau has done right here is peanuts compared to that and again, you don't have any behind the scenes insights as far as I can tell. You're speculating on what the money represents. I'm not going there, I don't know anything but the surface because that's all we have to go on.

My first sentence means that debt isn't always bad. Context matters and you don't have a clear view of that. Just an obscured view from the worst seats in the house.

Comment

• https://www.panafricanalliance.com/c...a-colonialism/
                        china does nothing that doesn't help china. they always get something. we are getting nothing. just one speculation on our benefit. just one, how does us borrowing money to give away improve the life of one single canadian?

50 million to trevor noah in a tweet
                        10.5 million to a terrorist
                        50 million to mastercard
                        50 million to loblaws
                        10 million to whatever place this is
                        these are just off the top of my head, he has no doubt given away more than this.
                        edit add: we can add whatever we are paying for iran to kill us

that's 170 million we are borrowing to give away. all the people that want to help these causes are free to give their own money, and indebt themselves to do it. what benefit to canadians is there? this will cost at least 1 billion after compounding for a decade.
                        Last edited by Miekenstien; Tue Feb 11th, 2020, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• You're lumping this in with other happenings. They're unrelated to this and I have different views on those.

China does all sorts of things that do not benefit China. They're called mistakes.

Comment

• It's called China's debt trap diplomacy. It is a major problem in Africa. I have family that works in Addis Ababa and Chinese involvement in their economy is a huge issue in Ethiopia, for example.

As for Trudeau's magical mystery tour in Africa to bribe corrupt governments to vote for Canada for a meaningless UN security council seat, well, elections have consequences. This is what Canadians wanted. As a Raptors fan, I am disappointed that Ujiri is playing along with this farce (I can't imagine he'd be traveling to Africa to bribe tyrants with a Tory who had worn blackface) but I can see how it benefits him personally and there are no enemies on the left for progressives, so I understand it.

Comment

You're lumping this in with other happenings. They're unrelated to this and I have different views on those.

China does all sorts of things that do not benefit China. They're called mistakes.
                              My bad there then. The point stands. These are all instances where we are borrowing the.money to give it away. If we had a surplus the issue would be different. We are giving away money that we don't have, and are not even using it to help Canadians.

The Chinese even make sure the African countries employ Chinese nationals in the building processes. That's why local Africans in these countries are getting angry. Their governments are getting cash, the Chinese are getting jobs, and the Chinese government is getting their natural resources.

My wife sells Chinese steel to African oil producing countries that is sold at a loss to the company, because the ccp refunds them to gain market share.

Her boss, based in Dubai has received payments in luxury vehicles because the money, and resources are already Chinese property, so Africa government officials trade older model luxury vehicles as hard currency.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                                ... but I can see how it benefits him personally and there are no enemies on the left for progressives, so I understand it.
                                I don't think any group of people following any ideology react in such a predictable, robotic manner as that. I also find it funny in here that those complaining that Trump never gets credit for any good he achieves, are consistently tossing Trudeau under the bus on all fronts, immediately writing off whatever it is as corruption or idiocy and completely detrimental to society. As if that is realistic, fair and not hypocritical. There are examples of unethical instances and of mistakes but its pretty damn well impossible to have a discussion with someone who's made their mind up in advance of any topic that may come up... Whats the point?

So, moving on:
                                The coronavirus epidemic could spread to about two-thirds of the world’s population if it cannot be controlled, according to Hong Kong’s leading public health epidemiologist.

His warning came after the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) said recent cases of coronavirus patients who had never visited China could be the “tip of the iceberg”.

Prof Gabriel Leung, the chair of public health medicine at Hong Kong University, said the overriding question was to figure out the size and shape of the iceberg. Most experts thought that each person infected would go on to transmit the virus to about 2.5 other people. That gave an “attack rate” of 60-80%.

“Sixty per cent of the world’s population is an awfully big number,” Leung told the Guardian in London, en route to an expert meeting at the WHO in Geneva on Tuesday.

Even if the general fatality rate is as low as 1%, which Leung thinks is possible once milder cases are taken into account, the death toll would be massive.
                                https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lds-population

Comment

Working...
                                X