Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

It's a mess. Millions of people either took too much or didn't set aside for taxes. A lot of these are like single moms or lower income people that spent the whole damn thing right away. They were handing out money like candy with very little helpful information to people.
    But there are also ALOT of people that just created a business, hired their family, and then fired them, to collect both the CERB and the business credit too. Scummy people out there for sure. I'm sure if it was an honest mistake (as you point out, some it very well could just be that) then there will be a process for that too, but for some .. I hope they get the book thrown at them.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

But there are also ALOT of people that just created a business, hired their family, and then fired them, to collect both the CERB and the business credit too. Scummy people out there for sure. I'm sure if it was an honest mistake (as you point out, some it very well could just be that) then there will be a process for that too, but for some .. I hope they get the book thrown at them.
      I think to access the business line of credit and wage subsidy the business had to exist as of March 15th. Also, family members are only allowed to receive subsidized wage if they had been working (ie remitting CPP) prior to March 15th.

The business programs had some front-end safeguards, they came in later in the lockdown so they had time to at least set some criteria to curb abuse. The CERB was a free-for-all though.
      2019 NBA Champions. Glad to have doubted the doubters.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
        You know who likes COVID? Walmart, Amazon and pizza conglomerates ....
        Alcohol sales also way up, which is crazy given all the restaurant and bar closures. But people had to sit at home, collect benefits, and stress about the fate of the world. Or just relax on the deck. Either way, you crack a couple cold ones.

Not all fun and games though:

"Last month, a Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction poll showed that 25 per cent of Canadians aged 35 to 54 and 21 per cent of people 18 to 34 were drinking more during the lockdown.

Respondents cited stress and boredom for the increases. Also in April, the CCSA published a report on the risks of keeping retail liquor stores open longer, citing increased consumption and a rise in domestic violence.

On Tuesday, a survey of about 1,000 Canadians suggested heavy drinking is highest among younger people and those worried about personal finances due to the pandemic."

https://www.bowenislandundercurrent....rns-1.24143155

"We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Alcohol sales also way up, which is crazy given all the restaurant and bar closures. But people had to sit at home, collect benefits, and stress about the fate of the world. Or just relax on the deck. Either way, you crack a couple cold ones.

"Last month, a Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction poll showed that 25 per cent of Canadians aged 35 to 54 and 21 per cent of people 18 to 34 were drinking more during the lockdown.

Respondents cited stress and boredom for the increases. Also in April, the CCSA published a report on the risks of keeping retail liquor stores open longer, citing increased consumption and a rise in domestic violence.

On Tuesday, a survey of about 1,000 Canadians suggested heavy drinking is highest among younger people and those worried about personal finances due to the pandemic."

https://www.bowenislandundercurrent....rns-1.24143155
          Source: Lots of canadians are alcoholics. More at 11

I mean, I could have told them that lol.

alcoholism and cancer. The 2 things that every family has at least 1 person who has had them
          It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

[I]"Last month, a Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction poll showed that 25 per cent of Canadians aged 35 to 54 and 21 per cent of people 18 to 34 were drinking more during the lockdown.
            I generally only drink Friday night to Sunday. With COVID and some friends/family dropping in more on weekdays than before when it would have been primarily weekends, I've had a few more beers on weeknights since COVID started so I'd be in that stat above.

"drinking more during the lockdown" could be going from zero to a few/week or a few to a few more. 25% more people drinking a bit more means nothing and I would have thought it was higher if people thought about it (or were honest). I have had 100% less drink at bars and restaurants over the last few months

Not concerned about 10 drinks a week....people are also walking their dogs and running and gardening more than ever before as well.

Comment

I generally only drink Friday night to Sunday. With COVID and some friends/family dropping in more on weekdays than before when it would have been primarily weekends, I've had a few more beers on weeknights since COVID started so I'd be in that stat above.

"drinking more during the lockdown" could be going from zero to a few/week or a few to a few more. 25% more people drinking a bit more means nothing and I would have thought it was higher if people thought about it (or were honest). I have had 100% less drink at bars and restaurants over the last few months

Not concerned about 10 drinks a week....people are also walking their dogs and running and gardening more than ever before as well.
              I actually drank way less cause I typically only drink when out with clients or buddies. Didn't have a drink for almost a month. My sleep improved dramatically and all my stomach issues went away completely. I've definitely re-thought how much I am drinking going forward - cutting way back.

Comment

....people are also walking their dogs and running and gardening more than ever before as well.
                I started a FB group a couple of years ago, Ontario Backyard Plant Growers, initially meant for people trying to earn some side income growing perrenials, flowering shrubs, landscape plants etc. There were way more people just interested in gardening join though so I went along with it. January 1st this year the group had 400 members. Today it's got 4,429 members with another 22 waiting for me to add them. So yeah, gardening has blown up. But a lot of FB groups are getting big numbers.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

I started a FB group a couple of years ago, Ontario Backyard Plant Growers, initially meant for people trying to earn some side income growing perrenials, flowering shrubs, landscape plants etc. There were way more people just interested in gardening join though so I went along with it. January 1st this year the group had 400 members. Today it's got 4,429 members with another 22 waiting for me to add them. So yeah, gardening has blown up. But a lot of FB groups are getting big numbers.
                  Wow. We have a lot of garden, probably over 300 running feet but now at a point where most is perennial and only have to buy a few flats of annuals that we like, then hack down the garlic mustard that's everywhere in the wooded area around us.

On the plus side, it's a good cool day to get the lawn mowed so everything always looks good then. Die COVID die!

Comment

I started a FB group a couple of years ago, Ontario Backyard Plant Growers, initially meant for people trying to earn some side income growing perrenials, flowering shrubs, landscape plants etc.
                    I thought you were going to say it was overwhelmed by backyard marijuana plant growers.

Comment

'Hello, my name is Dr. Greenthumb.'

Comment

• https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball...port-1.5611100

A little more detail in here. I wonder if any players called kyrie out on him "giving up" the rest of a season where he doesn't want to play and would get bounced early in the post season if he did and would sooner just wait for KD to be healthy?

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

I thought you were going to say it was overwhelmed by backyard marijuana plant growers.
                          Actually, one guy posted he was a "Master Grower" and thread blew up to 245 comments. And the 1st cattiness and juvenile behaviour came out. I'm okay with the pot growers. I voted for the legalization/decriminalization the first time around when the first Trudeau promised it.

Comment

• I don't get this. So what about the NFL? NFL season starts in september.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                              I don't get this. So what about the NFL? NFL season starts in september.
                              a baseball writer with the los angeles times interviewed him and asked when the optimal time to end an abbreviated baseball season would be.

if it were an nfl writer with the los angeles times i'm sure he would give his opinion on that. (if the times even has an nfl writer. nobody gives a shit about it in that city.)

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X