Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

More contagious? Yes. More deadly? Disputable. Right now official numbers is 4% mortality, but just today WHO estimates cases to be 20x higher than official count (scary!), but..brings mortality to 0.2% (flu/pneumonia!)
    Even if the mortality rate is the same as the flu (which yippee if it is), if you have something that is more contagious than it still results in exponentially more deaths.

Also, we are still finding out the long term effects in people that have had covid-19. There have been studies on the negative effects Covid has had on the kidneys, and liver as well neurological, pulmonary systems.

Like I said, don't fear it but respect it. Also, Respect the people around you and do your best to stop the spread.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

We should not be afraid of COVID and you should not let it dominate your life. Unless you are over 60 and/or have particular health issues, in which case you should also not live in fear or let it dominate your life but take sensible precautions (as most people with those health issues already do during doing flu and cold season). If you are afraid of it then you are, of course, free to stay home and not interact with people but the vast majority of people will go on about their business.

If it makes you feel better, just imagine he's saying it's okay to go out and protest in the streets with thousands of other people for months.
      It's a little unfair to simply take him at the words he uses. Everyone knows when he says "don't let it dominate your life" he means "don't wear a mask if you don't want to, go back to work and get the economy moving, go out to crowded restaurants." Pretty naive if you think the message to his followers with that is "don't go into unneeded hysterics," or if you think the big problem right now is people being in hysterics. The message is loud and clear: ignore the medical professionals and listen to me instead.

It is well established that the most important thing here is that NOT only people who are in danger take precautions - the general populace taking those precautions is the best way to slow the spread and reduce the deaths caused by this disease. Just like when there is a vaccine, you wouldn't just tell old people to get the vaccine, the whole point is for as many people as possible to get it.

It's this inane approach to the problem. Consider drunk driving laws. This is like me saying to you, if you don't want to get into an accident, just don't drink and drive. But then also allowing everyone else to drink as much as they like. You take your own precautions, those people can decide the risks they get to take. We are a society and our choices impact each other.

If the vast majority of people go about their business without making modifications to the way they do that because of the, you know, global pandemic, more vulnerable people (and smaller numbers of people who would not be considered vulnerable) will die, no matter what precautions they take as individuals. This is not an individual-solution problem.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

It's a little unfair to simply take him at the words he uses. Everyone knows when he says "don't let it dominate your life" he means "don't wear a mask if you don't want to, go back to work and get the economy moving, go out to crowded restaurants." Pretty naive if you think the message to his followers with that is "don't go into unneeded hysterics," or if you think the big problem right now is people being in hysterics. The message is loud and clear: ignore the medical professionals and listen to me instead.
        Sounds like you're the one hearing dog whistles, Dan.

Comment

Sounds like you're the one hearing dog whistles, Dan.
          His positions on these things have been pretty well communicated by him. If you choose to ignore that it's on you.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

His positions on these things have been pretty well communicated by him. If you choose to ignore that it's on you.
            Well, I'm an Albertan, so I'm not really too concerned about Trump's views on masks or restaurants - more focused on what is happening in Calgary rather than obsessing about Trump. And, what's on me? If I don't choose to give the most uncharitable interpretation to someone's words that I dislike so that I can react hysterically (but with just the right amount of virtue signaling and preening) as you..... well then..... what exactly?

Comment

Well, I'm an Albertan, so I'm not really too concerned about Trump's views on masks or restaurants - more focused on what is happening in Calgary rather than obsessing about Trump. And, what's on me? If I don't choose to give the most uncharitable interpretation to someone's words that I dislike so that I can react hysterically (but with just the right amount of virtue signaling and preening) as you..... well then..... what exactly?

Define react hysterically. Pretty sure most people are just asking for people to stand further apart and wear masks. Two simple things the president has somehow not been able to get behind.

And if you are going to brag about not paying the least bit attention to the situation, maybe lay off accusing people of hearing dog whistles. Seems a little strange to be throwing around accusations when your stance is “oh, I don’t really pay attention so I wouldn’t know, I focus on Alberta.”

What’s on you? You coming across as someone who ignores the obvious. I thought that was obvious from my initial comment bu- oh, right. Oh, as for the most uncharitable interpretation, I assure you there are plenty much less charitable interpretations one could voice and likely be closer to the truth. Never mind what exactly he has done to earn a more charitable interpretation.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• some suggestions:

- If it's about how coronavirus is affecting the Raptors specifically, then it's on topic for this forum.
                - If it's about coronovirus in general, trump, etc, it is not on topic for this form, and should be discussed in the "off topic" forum.
                - Don't encourage fashy trolls by communicating with them.
                - Mods should watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P55t...ature=emb_logo

Can we please end the off topic discussion now?

Comment

Define react hysterically. Pretty sure most people are just asking for people to stand further apart and wear masks. Two simple things the president has somehow not been able to get behind.

And if you are going to brag about not paying the least bit attention to the situation, maybe lay off accusing people of hearing dog whistles. Seems a little strange to be throwing around accusations when your stance is “oh, I don’t really pay attention so I wouldn’t know, I focus on Alberta.”

What’s on you? You coming across as someone who ignores the obvious. I thought that was obvious from my initial comment bu- oh, right. Oh, as for the most uncharitable interpretation, I assure you there are plenty much less charitable interpretations one could voice and likely be closer to the truth. Never mind what exactly he has done to earn a more charitable interpretation.
                  Waste of your energy Dan....Selfishness and Narcissistic Behavior could be the new norm for some people. Add stupidity too.

Hilarious too read people piggybacking the same selfish ideas.
                  Last edited by The Claw Reborn; Mon Oct 5, 2020, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• I thought we were doing better than the US?

We have ~1/20 the deaths but 1/30 the population, is that correct?

In Canada, there have been at least 168,958 cases reported. In the last week 13,496 new cases were announced, 37% more than the previous week.

There have also been at least 142,368 recoveries and 9,504 deaths. Health officials have administered more than 8,425,044 tests.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                      I thought we were doing better than the US?

In Canada, there have been at least 168,958 cases reported. In the last week 13,496 new cases were announced, 37% more than the previous week.

There have also been at least 142,368 recoveries and 9,504 deaths. Health officials have administered more than 8,425,044 tests.

Per capita mortality rates are really bad in Quebec (ltc home outbreaks), pretty bad in Ontario, and then drop off significantly in other provinces.

Deaths per 100k population:

QC = 71
                      ON = 21
                      NS = 7
                      AB = 6
                      BC = 5
                      SK = 2
                      MB = 1
                      Everyone else = <1 or 0
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I'm more in this camp, I think a lot of the response has taken on a life of its own and is not informed enough by emerging science re the virus:

https://unherd.com/2020/10/covid-exp...WyN0v1DbAqUz9s

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/b...D9c87Fwjttr33A
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Per capita mortality rates are really bad in Quebec (ltc home outbreaks), pretty bad in Ontario, and then drop off significantly in other provinces.

Deaths per 100k population:

QC = 71
                          ON = 21
                          NS = 7
                          AB = 6
                          BC = 5
                          SK = 2
                          MB = 1
                          Everyone else = <1 or 0
                          Per capita that makes sense as ON and QC are the most populated and densely Provinces by far. I still thought for all the debate hype about Trump "killing" 200,000 people, we'd be doing far better per capita than the States. We're actually doing worse.

Comment

Per capita that makes sense as ON and QC are the most populated and densely Provinces by far. I still thought for all the debate hype about Trump "killing" 200,000 people, we'd be doing far better per capita than the States. We're actually doing worse.
                            We had a 60 day period where daily deaths per day were very bad in the April - June time frame. Mostly LTC homes, but still terrible obviously. Lately Canada's deaths per day have been quite low, under 10/day for most of September. The US meanwhile is over 1000 deaths per day while their population is about 10X that of ours. In total they have 215,000 deaths while Canada has about 9500.

I don't agree that we are doing worse.

Comment

Yeah where are you getting this? We are doing way better than the states by basically any measure, even with the Ontario government trying their very best to screw up at every turn.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I thought we were doing better than the US?

No we have about 1/10 the population. Maybe closer to 1/9.

Comment

Working...
                                X