Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
    For what its worth I read that the virus parks itself on the back of the throat for a few days before entering the lungs so its a good idea to gargle salt water once a day
    Do you have a reference for this advice? Well it’s not harmful to gargle salt water, I do want to see where the medical advice is coming from.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post

Do you have a reference for this advice? Well it’s not harmful to gargle salt water, I do want to see where the medical advice is coming from.
      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post

I read it about four months ago. Just googled and didnt find back up but I do it anyway each night. Ya doesn’t hurt. Im a delivery driver so Im trying my best to be precautious.

Comment

• Its creeping up in elderly care homes again in Toronto

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
            Its creeping up in elderly care homes again in Toronto
            The federal and provincial health units have one task. Take the available data, past experiences and case studies and come up with procedural advice and regulations to protect vulnerable people.

FAIL

How the F*&k does this start happening again? Doesn't anybody in healthcare have a brain or a memory that goes back more than 3 months? How can this be happening in elderly care home again?

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

The federal and provincial health units have one task. Take the available data, past experiences and case studies and come up with procedural advice and regulations to protect vulnerable people.

FAIL

How the F*&k does this start happening again? Doesn't anybody in healthcare have a brain or a memory that goes back more than 3 months? How can this be happening in elderly care home again?
              All nurses, PSW's and visiting doctors not to mention cleaners, cooks and physiotherapists, outside exercise and entertainment visitors have their own bubbles/kids in schools, going to their own outside work, grocery stores etc. They can do more but can only do so much. Some homes have had zero cases but that's as much good fortune as good management.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

FAIL

We knew a second wave was coming, but it still took Ford by surprise and we seem unprepared for it.

Comment

• And we all knew the 2nd wave would start coinciding with schools opening.

IMO the country has done very well mitigating the threat of the pandemic except in LT care homes. If we go through this all over again it’s a failure, full stop.

WE KNOW this is the most vulnerable population, it is unconscionable that strict protocols are not in place. If we lose ONE more life in these homes it’s unacceptable.

Comment

• Well get ready to find things unacceptable.

Things should be much better this round but unless you do a total lockdown with every doctor, nurse, kitchen staff, cleaner etc moving in house, there will be more deaths. Residents are still having "essential" family visit and still allowed outings to family that have kids in school etc. All they do is take your temperature when you return....

Comment

• I was just reading an article that happened to be focused on Western University in London but could have been any uni. It was a ghost town over Thanksgiving and the article was predictably negative on the kids and parents being selfish in family gathering.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt that they were meeting with close family only but the reality is that their own social network is pretty huge and represents a relatively high risk for their parents or grandparents. Perhaps still not high but relatively.
                      But who really expected people not to get together over Thanksgiving, particularly students to stay in residence over a holiday?

I went to the cottage for Thanksgiving with my immediate household family. We didn't take my mother to put her at risk and cancelled plans to have a friend, his wife and two kids who have moved up there. Just didn't need to increase our own bubble. We also didn't go into town, brought all our own groceries (best dinner ever) and only socialized with the neighbour over a beer from 20 feet away and outdoors. And we pretty much have to go (or I do) as I pull the water this time of year and it was 1 degree there last night.

But this is where it gets a bit annoying. We went up Saturday and the 400 series highways were absolutely jammed as much as any Summer weekend. Stop and go traffic for an hour through Barrie. West of Gravenhurst, there's a retail area with a Boston Pizza and bunch of shops on the water and the parking lot was absolutely jammed like boxing Day at a mall; not a single parking spot and cars circling looking for an opening. No one had to be there, they made the choice.

Further along there's a nature walk around a uninhabited lake. It's been ruined for years with the addition of a parking lot and boardwalk around the lake but that's another story. But the parking lot was similarly jammed and there were at least 200 cars parked along the road for hundreds of yards. No one was masked yet but worse would have been 600 people on those narrow boardwalks passing each other for hours. I have no idea how dangerous that was at all but I know there was zero need to do it (plenty of empty trails around) and I guess just a general comment. No one changed their Thanksgiving plans that I could see but hopefully, indoor dinners were pared down to direct family.

So I'm part of the problem in that I didn't stay home but hopefully took appropriate precautions. Schools and people who don't care are going to be the super spreaders and take us back to shutting down businesses.

Comment

• ^Regarding the boardwalk - generally, outdoor transmission is exceedingly rare, but that's going to change for the winter a bit as droplets can better hang around in cold, dry air.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                          ^Regarding the boardwalk - generally, outdoor transmission is exceedingly rare, but that's going to change for the winter a bit as droplets can better hang around in cold, dry air.
                          Less likely, but how about in the case of 600 people wandering around a 4 ft wide boardwalk? If it needs 15 minutes side by side, I guess most of them were safe ....

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Less likely, but how about in the case of 600 people wandering around a 4 ft wide boardwalk? If it needs 15 minutes side by side, I guess most of them were safe ....
                            Vancouver's had our seawall bustling with pedestrians and cyclists all year, with no ill effects to speak of. A little more separation is better obviously, though often times the optics are worse than the reality. If 50% of the people were infected that would probably be bad news for the other 50%, but if it's at a much more likely 1% the chances of spread are going to be very low - especially if that 1% were wearing a mask because they weren't feeling well. This all much change considerably in freezing temperatures and the dry air that comes alongside.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

Vancouver's had our seawall bustling with pedestrians and cyclists all year, with no ill effects to speak of. A little more separation is better obviously, though often times the optics are worse than the reality. If 50% of the people were infected that would probably be bad news for the other 50%, but if it's at a much more likely 1% the chances of spread are going to be very low - especially if that 1% were wearing a mask because they weren't feeling well. This all much change considerably in freezing temperatures and the dry air that comes alongside.
                              Yeah I get it. But the point is, the optics were terrible on a weekend where they asked people to not over do Thanksgiving. The evidence I saw in traffic and multiple public spaces was that few changed an iota of their plans

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Yeah I get it. But the point is, the optics were terrible on a weekend where they asked people to not over do Thanksgiving. The evidence I saw in traffic and multiple public spaces was that few changed an iota of their plans
                                Trust in public health authorities is diminished. They have only themselves to blame.

Comment

Working...
                                X