Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Coronavirus

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GLF wrote: View Post
    Also does anyone know if you should be disinfecting everything you buy from the grocery store? I've been doing it the best I can but I'm wondering if I can get it that way as well?
    The challenge with this question is that, to date, North America hasn't done a lot of epidemiological (big word for a Saturday night!) tracing that gives a clear indication of specifically how the virus was being passed from one to another. There's been some better efforts in Asia, but even then that's not clearly known.

    Theoretically, someone who is infected with COVID-19 could cough into their hand as they walk into a grocery store, pick up a bag of your favourite brand of potato chips, decide to be healthy, and put it back onto the shelf.

    A couple of hours later, an unsuspecting you, picks up the same bag of chips, washes your hands, and then sits down and watches the Raptors replay game while eating the chips. Since your bare hand touched the contaminated exterior of the bag even after washing, and then a chip, which then entered your mouth - you *could* have then contracted the virus - but we just don't know the probabilities of that likelihood.

    Comment


    • Ebonhawke wrote: View Post

      The challenge with this question is that, to date, North America hasn't done a lot of epidemiological (big word for a Saturday night!) tracing that gives a clear indication of specifically how the virus was being passed from one to another. There's been some better efforts in Asia, but even then that's not clearly known.

      Theoretically, someone who is infected with COVID-19 could cough into their hand as they walk into a grocery store, pick up a bag of your favourite brand of potato chips, decide to be healthy, and put it back onto the shelf.

      A couple of hours later, an unsuspecting you, picks up the same bag of chips, washes your hands, and then sits down and watches the Raptors replay game while eating the chips. Since your bare hand touched the contaminated exterior of the bag even after washing, and then a chip, which then entered your mouth - you *could* have then contracted the virus - but we just don't know the probabilities of that likelihood.
      I see. Yea I figured because I haven't seen anything anywhere talking about it. I have seen a few medical professionals saying getting it from food isn't that likely but it's not for sure. Just wondering if maybe I missed something you guys might have known about
      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

      Comment


      • Ebonhawke wrote: View Post

        The challenge with this question is that, to date, North America hasn't done a lot of epidemiological (big word for a Saturday night!) tracing that gives a clear indication of specifically how the virus was being passed from one to another. There's been some better efforts in Asia, but even then that's not clearly known.

        Theoretically, someone who is infected with COVID-19 could cough into their hand as they walk into a grocery store, pick up a bag of your favourite brand of potato chips, decide to be healthy, and put it back onto the shelf.

        A couple of hours later, an unsuspecting you, picks up the same bag of chips, washes your hands, and then sits down and watches the Raptors replay game while eating the chips. Since your bare hand touched the contaminated exterior of the bag even after washing, and then a chip, which then entered your mouth - you *could* have then contracted the virus - but we just don't know the probabilities of that likelihood.
        Yes. It can live on stainless, plastic & ceramic for 3 days, so that bag of chips scenario is a potential problem. Sorry. Pour those chips in a clean bowl. It's classier.

        Comment


        • Here’s another thing we’re learning about Covid that might be worth mentioning on a forum like this:

          Covid is showing greater and more serious results in men. I’ve seen this reported through many outlets.

          Among other possible reasons, it’s certainly being posited that men simply don’t take this thing as seriously as women. Men are more likely to take greater risks regarding it because they feel like it won’t happen to them, that they’re stronger than it. That they’re more likely to feel this whole thing is “way overblown.” Men are also perhaps not as inclined to educate themselves about how to properly sanitize and take necessary precautions. Men are perhaps not as ready to be told what to do, and to listen.

          And we know this is biological right? Men have greater risk taking impulses ... a study in the Telegraph, said that’s true by a measure of 2 to 1. I don’t have to cite this stuff. We know this.

          Point being, and I have great optimism that you’re all taking care of yourselves, but please guys, with much love, let’s do our best not to end up as one of the statistics of stupid men.

          Comment


          • planetmars wrote: View Post
            I also encourage everyone to watch the video that Goldblum posted above. The doctor primarily only works with COVID patients, in one of NY's biggest hospitals.

            The key is to not touch your face with your hands! You will not get the diseases from droplets entering your mouth (I mean you can, but it's so rare that it's not a worry). The primary way to get it is if you touch a contagious person's body (primarily their hands) or a surface that a contagious person touched, and then touch your face (eyes, mouth, nose).

            Masks are recommended to practice not touching your face. But that is the only real benefit. However if you are sick, wear a mask to protect your family. And the mask doesn't have to be a medical mask. Can be a handkerchief or bandanna. Everyone who gets it, will eventually feel symptoms but could be 1-2 days after they got it. This will not mutate into something worse.. in fact it will mutate into something much weaker and eventually hit the entire population like the common cold. If you do get it, you will not get it again.

            If you are in a room with a covid patient for more than 20-30 minutes at a time (so a HCW), then and only then could a mask help you from getting it. Otherwise a mask is only helpful if you want to practice not touching your face with your hands.

            The number one key is to always wash your hands. Make it a habit to use sanitizer if you are out in public and touch public surfaces (like shopping carts, elevator buttons, etc). You can still enjoy the out doors.. just keep 3-6 feet away from everyone, and make sure your hands are clean.

            I've been using gloves when I go outside. And I've been pretty crazy about washing my hands already. But I think the world has gone a bit looney over the past month or so.

            I really hope this video goes viral.
            Glad you found the video worth your time.

            (The following is a bit of a long post about some of the other things that I’ve learned re attempting Covid prevention. Ignore if you’re already well-versed.😎 ... I feel like there are people who are asking questions though that make me believe some of these tips/thoughts could be worth sharing. ... These are practices I've heard of from medical professionals, but please note that I am not a medical professional.)

            Planetmars, one thing I’ve been hearing about gloves is that they’re risky because of how we take them off. As you also said, you’re washing your hands a lot, but when we take off gloves, of course we have to touch them, and it’s hard to do so in a way that doesn’t stand to get the virus on our fingers/hands regardless.

            A lot of the original talk about the reasoning against masks was them engendering a false sense of security. We now know though that there are significant benefits to wearing them, even if they’re not 100% effective. That said, we still have to be very careful about taking masks off, cause again, that’s when the virus could get on our hands.

            Masks are certainly useful because they can mitigate droplets getting into our mouths/noses from others around us - or from us sending our droplets into the mouths/noses of others. Gloves however, don’t do this at all. **So far as has been reported — and i think this is pretty much assured ** you absolutely can’t contract Covid through your skin, it’s only contracted through the respiratory tract. Subsequently, I’ve heard a lot more clips of medical professionals saying not to wear gloves, as for the most part, they do nothing. Either way, hands or gloves, we could stand to have the virus on them, and we have to be extremely careful about not touching our faces, not touching our eyes, nose or mouth.

            When I grocery shop I’ve cleaned my cart handles first with a disinfectant wipe (which I was lucky to find some of last week) (...also, many grocery stores are cleaning shopping cart handles already for their customers, but best to ask the attendants at the front before making that assumption — either way ***do not touch your face***.) I do my shopping, only grabbing an item once I’m certain I’m gonna buy it to minimize touching objects that I won’t take, and then I try to use touchless pay if I can. Then when leaving the store I try to sanitize my hands before getting back in my vehicle. They had sanitizer stands at the front of the Loblaws I was at. Take all the stuff to your door or just inside your home. Sanitize ***anything and everything that is packaged*** if you intend to use it within the next three days. If there are plastic or cardboard items that you can have comfortably sit for several days before you need them, and have an area to do so like I do that is nowhere near where you’ll be present, it’s my understanding that that should not be a problem. I just leave that stuff there and don’t worry about it until long after the virus would’ve died off... make sure it’s a place you won’t be tracking around with your feet or anything. And i don’t have pets or children, so i don’t have to worry about anyone but my gf and I avoiding them. Barring that and for items you will need to use, wipe them all thoroughly with a disinfectant wipe if you’re able. Make sure to set them aside in a spot that is clean. Hopefully while disinfecting the packaging, you’re also disinfecting your hands all the while with the same wipe, and then make sure you wash your hands with soap for 20 seconds when you’re done.

            As far as produce, medical advice that I have seen is saying it’s extremely unlikely that we would contract the virus through it, as it doesn’t survive well on porous surfaces like food, AND... and I’m less clear about this, but that the virus is contracted *respiratorily* and while they seem similar to us, ingestion is a different bodily system... as I said, I’m not as clear on the science of that, nor have I heard it articulated in a way that makes me understand that. Anyway, we should “wash produce as we would typically wash our produce,” is the advice I’m most commonly hearing. Here, up until now, we’ve been washing all produce with dish soap and water, not wanting to take any chances, but I think we may relax that going forward. That said, it’s good to give it a thorough wash before you put it in the fridge, and certainly again before you use it. Don’t use Lysol or anything too chemically on your produce, as that’s gonna be really bad for you.

            One thing that’s being said about delivery food, is that emptying anything into a new container/dish and microwaving it until it’s hot/steams will kill the virus. Make sure to dispose of all the packaging extremely well though and thoroughly wash your hands along the way.

            Other simple things I’ve heard that hopefully others have is DON’T use advil/ibuprofen, rather use Tylenol, as Advil potentially dramatically exacerbates the symptoms.

            And something that’s apparently really good to be taking is vitamin D supplements. Especially as we don’t get a lot of that naturally from the Sun the way that other countries do.

            ok. I understandably prefaced all that with an apology as it was exceedingly long. Part of me wonders if it’d make sense to start a separate thread that’s just tips on preventing the spread as opposed to the broader conversations that are happening here on this thread, just to have everything in a place where people could add to it, find it, verify it, discredit it, as we continue along through this thing, (as much as I enjoy reading everyone’s thoughts about how this is gonna hurt the economy.)
            😷
            Last edited by GOLDBLUM; Sun Apr 5, 2020, 04:49 AM.

            Comment


            • get your papers ready comrades. remember as we argue to let rapists, and pedophiles out of prison for their own safety, if you go outside comrade, you will go to prison, and not be the kind of pedophile that needs release for safety.

              https://ca.news.yahoo.com/ontario-pr...164128557.html
              The province passed the temporary law into place using an emergency order that carries a fine of $1,000 and up to a year imprisonment and $100,000 if someone doesn't cooperate with a provincial offences officer, which includes police officers, First Nations constables, special constables and municipal by-law enforcement officers.

              stay scared out there.

              as an aside, what if we fined real criminals 100k, and guaranteed a year in prison for the most minor of offenses?

              Comment


              • GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                Here’s another thing we’re learning about Covid that might be worth mentioning on a forum like this:

                Covid is showing greater and more serious results in men. I’ve seen this reported through many outlets.

                Among other possible reasons, it’s certainly being posited that men simply don’t take this thing as seriously as women. Men are more likely to take greater risks regarding it because they feel like it won’t happen to them, that they’re stronger than it. That they’re more likely to feel this whole thing is “way overblown.” Men are also perhaps not as inclined to educate themselves about how to properly sanitize and take necessary precautions. Men are perhaps not as ready to be told what to do, and to listen.

                And we know this is biological right? Men have greater risk taking impulses ... a study in the Telegraph, said that’s true by a measure of 2 to 1. I don’t have to cite this stuff. We know this.

                Point being, and I have great optimism that you’re all taking care of yourselves, but please guys, with much love, let’s do our best not to end up as one of the statistics of stupid men.
                Probably because men (40%) smoke more than women (9%) and Covid attacks the lungs. That was one of the conclusions from China.

                Comment


                • some excessive policing of recommendations. i think sargon is showing a good example of where the totalitarianism is get out of hand.

                  Comment


                  • Welp. It took awhile for the Smart people to come around; but, 1000's of deaths later....

                    The CDC Now Recommends Americans Wear Face Masks


                    https://www.wired.com/story/cdc-says-wear-a-face-mask/

                    On Friday, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended that citizens should wear "non-medical, cloth masks" to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus. Previously, the CDC had recommended that only those with Covid-19 symptoms wear masks. The agency now recommends that those who aren't feeling sick should still wear a mask, though compliance is voluntary.

                    Comment




                    • Why Canadians care about this lady I have no idea
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

                      Comment


                      • Expect to see some improvements across Canada this week. Following BC's trend, the other provinces (except Quebec) have shown stable or decreasing numbers of new (daily) cases. Ontario, in the past 5 days has reported a fairly stable number of new cases daily (426, 401, 462, 375, 408). This is an early indicator that the province has reached a peak and the daily rate should soon start to decrease providing we continue with physical distancing, self-isolation, quarantining. Be great if our Health/Govt Agencies develop PSA's around NYC's Dr. David Price recommendations wrt preventing transmission...

                        Comment


                        • MixxAOR wrote: View Post


                          Why Canadians care about this lady I have no idea
                          It's the accent Babyyyyyyyyyyy

                          Almost sounds fake!

                          I couldn't even make it through the whole video hahahahahahaha

                          Comment


                          • Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

                            Comment


                            • Here is a day to day timeline of how China covered up and lied about the COVID-19 outbreak and that human to human transmission was occurring. They even ordered labs that had broken down the genetic code and demonstrated it's relationship to SARS to stop revealing that fact to others. The original Dr. who tried to raise a flag was forced to sing a retraction and apologize for his "unlawful acts."

                              China has a lot to answer for, especially the 175,000 passengers who flew out of Wuhan three weeks after it was established that the disease was transmittable from human to human.

                              And this is what we got from the organization that has been suggested to head up an investigation to how this turned into a global pandemic.

                              "The official statement from the World Health Organization declares, 'Preliminary identification of a novel virus in a short period of time is a notable achievement and demonstrates China’s increased capacity to manage new outbreaks . . . WHO does not recommend any specific measures for travelers. WHO advises against the application of any travel or trade restrictions on China based on the information currently available.'"

                              https://www.nationalreview.com/the-m...astating-lies/
                              Last edited by Puffer; Mon Apr 6, 2020, 09:47 AM.

                              Comment


                              • Puffer wrote: View Post
                                Here is a day to day timeline of how China covered up and lied about the COVID-19 outbreak and that human to human transmission was occurring. They even ordered labs that had broken down the genetic code and demonstrated it's relationship to SARS to stop revealing that fact to others. The original Dr. who tried to raise a flag was forced to sing a retraction and apologize for his "unlawful acts."

                                China has a lot to answer for, especially the 175,000 passengers who flew out of Wuhan three weeks after it was established that the disease was transmittable from human to human.

                                And this is what we got from the organization that has been suggested to head up an investigation to how this turned into a global pandemic.

                                "The official statement from the World Health Organization declares, 'Preliminary identification of a novel virus in a short period of time is a notable achievement and demonstrates China’s increased capacity to manage new outbreaks . . . WHO does not recommend any specific measures for travelers. WHO advises against the application of any travel or trade restrictions on China based on the information currently available.'"

                                https://www.nationalreview.com/the-m...astating-lies/
                                It's a travesty that we can't even trust the WHO.... obviously are/were in bed with China.






                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X