Announcement

Collapse

Raptors Republic Android & iOS App

Hey guys and gals,

We're running a, how should I say, pilot or beta version of our new Raptors Republic app. We haven't made it official as we're still trying to work out some bugs while improving the user interface. So, its not the final version so expect to see more changes over the next while.

Anyhow, please feel free to download. Available on both Android & iPhone. It's absolutely free.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rsrepublic.app

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6946?ls=1&mt=8

If we could ask a favour though. We're welcoming feedback and suggestions on perhaps things you'd like to see. At the end of the day we're doing this for you guys by making everything here easier available for you the user. Please send your feedback (Regardless if its positive or negative) to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and we hope you guys enjoy the application.
See more
See less

The Space Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    I know i brought up artificial gravity, but why dont specialized magnetic suits that pull downwards onto the floors of our space stations work?
    They do, but the pull would only be on the suits, not your body, so you'd get the negative consequences of long term weightlessness regardless. You'd just be held down by your suit. It's also very expensive, in terms of energy cost, to constantly run electromagnets. Also, good luck to any electronics you need to come in close contact with, with all those magnetic fields floating around.

Artificial gravity is pretty easy, though. Just gotta spin.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
      Ya, no matter how much we ruin our planet, it will be a LONG time until it's anywhere near as bad as Mars already is. Lol Staying on Earth is of course Option #1a, but I don't really think it's necessarily about that .. It's ultimately about going past Mars. Humans being a multi-planet species, and continuing to expand our reach is feeding that same basic human desire that Columbus and all the other great explorers tried to feed. As soon as we are able to expand, we will. It's what we do. And Environmental conditions rarely stop us .. look at the people living on Baffin Island, or places in Africa that have no business sustaining human life. And yet ...
      Well, the fastest speed a human can travel has not exceeded since 1970...so needless to say there was a lot more industrial progress from 1920-1970 then there was from 1970 to present day.
      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
        Ya, no matter how much we ruin our planet, it will be a LONG time until it's anywhere near as bad as Mars already is. Lol Staying on Earth is of course Option #1a, but I don't really think it's necessarily about that .. It's ultimately about going past Mars. Humans being a multi-planet species, and continuing to expand our reach is feeding that same basic human desire that Columbus and all the other great explorers tried to feed. As soon as we are able to expand, we will. It's what we do. And Environmental conditions rarely stop us .. look at the people living on Baffin Island, or places in Africa that have no business sustaining human life. And yet ...
        Pretty sure we'll come up against some hard limits when it comes to interstellar travel for humans - robots and AI are a better bet, maybe they could synthesize humans when they get there...?

Titan seems more likely. And maybe living off the resources of the asteroid belt.

Comment

• Vice President Mike Pence today called for American astronauts to return to the moon in five years, laying down a challenge comparable to the 1960s Space Race.

“We’re in a space race today, just as we were in the 1960s, and the stakes are even higher,” Pence declared during a meeting of the National Space Council at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Alabama.
          ​​​​​​
          https://www.geekwire.com/2019/vp-mik...ns-south-pole/

Comment

• Space Race 2: This time, its for all the marbles

Comment

• It sure seems like he basically made this up, virtually on the spot, with no real plan or funding or...political will on the part of the White House.

OK, let’s dig into this a bit.

Yesterday, just prior to a meeting of the National Space Council in Huntsville, Alabama, Pence made a speech exhorting NASA to return to the Moon. This has been said before — oh, so many times over somany administrations — but this time, instead of a vague target date ten or twenty years in the future (I never believe any claim where the deadline is quoted rounded off to the nearest decade with an “s on the end), he set a specific date, and one that is, to be frank, very soon: 2024.

Is it actually possible to leave a new set of bootprints on the Moon in five years?

The way things stand right now, I have seriousdoubts. Something, and something big, will have to change.

The big problem here is money. Just straight up funding. Just 15 days ago, the White House proposed budget cuts to Exploration, including a 9% cut to the Orion crew capsule, and 17% to the Space Launch System giant rocket. There are many details to this, but NASA is long overdue and way overbudget on SLS, so money was shifted around to get the first stage of it built, deferring work on the critical Exploration Upper Stage to help them focus. As it stands right now, even if it gets built in the next few years the SLS doesn’t have the capability to get humans on the Moon and won’t for some time.

SLS was supposed to be used for the first test flight of Orion around the Moon in 2020, but (as long predicted) it doesn’t look that will happen. NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said as much in a shocking bombshell of a speech just two weeks ago, saying we can use commercial rockets (meaning a Delta IV Heavy or Falcon Heavy) to do this if necessary.

But that costs money. An Orion is not like a kid’s car seat that you can just swap from one car to another; a lot of work has to be done to change the engineering and make it compatible with a different rocket. That takes time and costs money. I remind you, the White House cut NASA’s money two weeks ago.

Brindestine’s words were echoed by Pence yesterday, who also said that if SLS isn’t ready in time, commercial rockets can be used. But with the budget cuts on top of an accelerated time frame, well, I have my doubts.

Maddeningly, right after Pence’s speech yesterday, Bridenstine then stood up and said that to do all this by 2024 we need SLS. Just two weeks after saying we didn’t need it. When I read that I almost bit my tongue off. It doesn’t sound like the White House or NASA’s top admins have sat down together and worked out an actual, executable plan. All these contradictory announcements one after the other really feels seat-of-the-pants.

That’s not a great way to send humans to the Moon.
              It's become a very predictable pattern with this White House. They're good at saying a lot of shit, they're just not very good at doing it.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-wh...seems-unlikely

Comment

• Here's a very interesting read on the pole shift taking place: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...vigation-maps/

Some excerpts below:
                Magnetic north has never sat still. In the last hundred years or so, the direction in which our compasses steadfastly point has lumbered ever northward, driven by Earth's churning liquid outer core some 1,800 miles beneath the surface. Yet in recent years, scientists noticed something unusual: Magnetic north's routine plod has shifted into high gear, sending it galloping across the Northern Hemisphere—and no one can entirely explain why.

The changes have been so large that scientists began working on an emergency update for the World Magnetic Model, the mathematical system that lays the foundations for navigation, from cell phones and ships to commercial airlines.
                At the 2018 American Geophysical Union fall meeting, Livermore presented what he calls a magnetic field “tug-of-war” that may offer an explanation for the recent odd behavior. The north magnetic pole seems to be controlled by two patches of magnetic field, he explains, one under northern Canada and one under Siberia. Historically, the one under northern Canada seems to have been stronger, keeping the magnetic pole in its clutches. But recently, that seems to have changed.

“The Siberian patch looks like it's winning the battle,” he says. “It's sort of pulling the magnetic field all the way across to its side of the geographic pole.”
                The only thing that seems certain about magnetic north is its unpredictability.

Rocks hold geologic maps of even weirder movements of the magnetic poles, suggesting that in the last 20 million years, magnetic north and south have flipped places multiple times. This seems to happen roughly every 200,000 to 300,000 years. The exact causes behind these reversals remains uncertain. But the latest movement shouldn't have you in knots about an imminent flip.

“There's no indication that there's a reversal,” Beggan says. “And even if there was a reversal, geological records show these things tend to take a few thousand years, at the very least.”

Comment

• A correction to my last post. It's not "polar shift", it's "polar drift". Here's a map I found of recent activity. Mind blown.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                    A correction to my last post. It's not "polar shift", it's "polar drift". Here's a map I found of recent activity. Mind blown.

I'm not questioning the validity of your map, but it looks like someone with 5 minutes of time and MS Paint can randomly meme the shit outta that and call it factual

Comment

• It's not my map.

Comment

• Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                          That's a BFR...

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                            It's not my map.
                            Oh, its YOUR map. Apollo 13.