The Space Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    I know i brought up artificial gravity, but why dont specialized magnetic suits that pull downwards onto the floors of our space stations work?
    They do, but the pull would only be on the suits, not your body, so you'd get the negative consequences of long term weightlessness regardless. You'd just be held down by your suit. It's also very expensive, in terms of energy cost, to constantly run electromagnets. Also, good luck to any electronics you need to come in close contact with, with all those magnetic fields floating around.

Artificial gravity is pretty easy, though. Just gotta spin.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
      Ya, no matter how much we ruin our planet, it will be a LONG time until it's anywhere near as bad as Mars already is. Lol Staying on Earth is of course Option #1a, but I don't really think it's necessarily about that .. It's ultimately about going past Mars. Humans being a multi-planet species, and continuing to expand our reach is feeding that same basic human desire that Columbus and all the other great explorers tried to feed. As soon as we are able to expand, we will. It's what we do. And Environmental conditions rarely stop us .. look at the people living on Baffin Island, or places in Africa that have no business sustaining human life. And yet ...
      Well, the fastest speed a human can travel has not exceeded since 1970...so needless to say there was a lot more industrial progress from 1920-1970 then there was from 1970 to present day.
      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
        Ya, no matter how much we ruin our planet, it will be a LONG time until it's anywhere near as bad as Mars already is. Lol Staying on Earth is of course Option #1a, but I don't really think it's necessarily about that .. It's ultimately about going past Mars. Humans being a multi-planet species, and continuing to expand our reach is feeding that same basic human desire that Columbus and all the other great explorers tried to feed. As soon as we are able to expand, we will. It's what we do. And Environmental conditions rarely stop us .. look at the people living on Baffin Island, or places in Africa that have no business sustaining human life. And yet ...
        Pretty sure we'll come up against some hard limits when it comes to interstellar travel for humans - robots and AI are a better bet, maybe they could synthesize humans when they get there...?

Titan seems more likely. And maybe living off the resources of the asteroid belt.

Comment

• ​​​​​​
          https://www.geekwire.com/2019/vp-mik...ns-south-pole/

Comment

• Space Race 2: This time, its for all the marbles

Comment

• It sure seems like he basically made this up, virtually on the spot, with no real plan or funding or...political will on the part of the White House.

Pence made a speechso many times over sofive years?

The way things stand right now, I have seriousdoubts. Something, and something big, will have to change.

The big problem here is money. Just straight up funding. Just 15 days ago, the White House proposed budget cuts to Explorationthe first test flight of Orionin a shocking bombshell of a speechlot of work has to be done to change the engineering and make it compatible with a different rocket. That takes time and costs money. I remind you, the White House cutBridenstine then stood up and said that to do all this by 2024 we need SLS. Just two weeks after saying we
              It's become a very predictable pattern with this White House. They're good at saying a lot of shit, they're just not very good at doing it.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-wh...seems-unlikely

Comment

• Here's a very interesting read on the pole shift taking place: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...vigation-maps/

Some excerpts below:
                Magnetic north has never sat still. In the last hundred years or so, the direction in which our compasses steadfastly point has lumbered ever northward, driven by Earth's churning liquid outer core some 1,800 miles
                The only thing that seems certain about magnetic north is its unpredictability.

Rocks hold geologic maps of even weirder movements of the magnetic poles, suggesting that in the last 20 million years, magnetic north and south have flipped places multiple times. This seems to happen roughly every 200,000 to 300,000 years. The exact causes behind these reversals

Comment

• A correction to my last post. It's not "polar shift", it's "polar drift". Here's a map I found of recent activity. Mind blown.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                    A correction to my last post. It's not "polar shift", it's "polar drift". Here's a map I found of recent activity. Mind blown.

I'm not questioning the validity of your map, but it looks like someone with 5 minutes of time and MS Paint can randomly meme the shit outta that and call it factual

Comment

• It's not my map.

Comment

• Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                          That's a BFR...

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                            It's not my map.
                            Oh, its YOUR map. Apollo 13.