Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Space Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46

    Comment


    • #47
      We are going to see some CRAZY things in our Lifetime ... pretty exciting time to be alive.

      Comment


      • #48
        Joey wrote: View Post
        We are going to see some CRAZY things in our Lifetime ... pretty exciting time to be alive.
        aliens ?

        Comment


        • #49
          rocwell wrote: View Post
          aliens ?
          Well considering we sent out a Map of how to find us into Interstellar space, I don't think its completely far-fetched!

          Comment


          • #50
            Joey wrote: View Post
            Well considering we sent out a Map of how to find us into Interstellar space, I don't think its completely far-fetched!
            Doesn't that presuppose that if aliens did exist that they maybe less technologically advanced than us? What keeps them away? Which raises the ponder....would we prefer to have contact with the less capable alien or the far superior one?

            Comment


            • #51
              Bendit wrote: View Post
              Doesn't that presuppose that if aliens did exist that they maybe less technologically advanced than us? What keeps them away? Which raises the ponder....would we prefer to have contact with the less capable alien or the far superior one?
              I actually posted something on this a little while back, with regards to the "Fermi Paradox", which is "the apparent contradiction between high estimates of the probability of the existence of extraterrestrial civilizations, such as in the Drake equation, and the lack of evidence for such civilizations."

              This blog entry I found on it is such a good read, I highly recommend reading it all the way through. Mind blowing.


              But basically, there is the "Kardaschev Scale", which ranks Civilizations based on their capabilities of harnessing power around them...

              A Type I Civilization has the ability to use all of the energy on their planet. We’re not quite a Type I Civilization, but we’re close (Carl Sagan created a formula for this scale which puts us at a Type 0.7 Civilization).

              A Type II Civilization can harness all of the energy of their host star. Our feeble Type I brains can hardly imagine how someone would do this, but we’ve tried our best, imagining things like a Dyson Sphere.

              A Type III Civilization blows the other two away, accessing power comparable to that of the entire Milky Way galaxy.


              With these in mind, we then approach the conversation about "the Great Filter", and where we stand...


              1. We're Rare...


              2. We're First...


              3. We're Fucked ....



              The blog also offers up some great theories about why we haven't seen anyone else yet, or why they haven't visited us, but I won't paste them .. its a great read though.

              But basically, I imagine any "Type 3" civilization, or even a "Type 2" would be beyond any sort of "conquering" mentality, and is likely content with their amazing utopia of a system.

              Not to mention, there are ancient tribes from Africa who had knowledge of distant stars and constellations long before modern man did .. so maybe they've already visited us!
              Last edited by Joey; Thu Feb 11th, 2016, 11:57 AM.

              Comment


              • #52
                This theory sounds like the most likely to me, as to why we haven't "heard" anything yet:
                "Like walking into a modern-day office building, turning on a walkie-talkie, and when you hear no activity (which of course you wouldn’t hear because everyone’s texting, not using walkie-talkies), determining that the building must be empty. Or maybe, as Carl Sagan has pointed out, it could be that our minds work exponentially faster or slower than another form of intelligence out there—e.g. it takes them 12 years to say “Hello,” and when we hear that communication, it just sounds like white noise to us."

                Comment


                • #53
                  Joey wrote: View Post
                  This theory sounds like the most likely to me, as to why we haven't "heard" anything yet:
                  Look forward to reading the first post's details. Thanks. I am quite illiterate on this stuff.

                  Re the above...I was more alluding to "them" finding us rather than the other way around. But I can understand that the universe is so vast that even the type 1's may not have the capability. And the theory you relate is a good one.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Bendit wrote: View Post
                    Re the above...I was more alluding to "them" finding us rather than the other way around. But I can understand that the universe is so vast that even the type 1's may not have the capability. And the theory you relate is a good one.
                    Ya, I think the universe is just so damn big, and we are so damn insignificant. Conquering us would be "stealing candy from a baby", and contacting us would probably be like talking to a baby; Of the things we do know, there's probably a billion times more things we don't.

                    And since we've only reached out and seen as far as 0.1% of the known Universe, or likely even less, it makes sense.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Joey wrote: View Post
                      This theory sounds like the most likely to me, as to why we haven't "heard" anything yet:
                      "Like walking into a modern-day office building, turning on a walkie-talkie, and when you hear no activity (which of course you wouldn’t hear because everyone’s texting, not using walkie-talkies), determining that the building must be empty. Or maybe, as Carl Sagan has pointed out, it could be that our minds work exponentially faster or slower than another form of intelligence out there—e.g. it takes them 12 years to say “Hello,” and when we hear that communication, it just sounds like white noise to us."
                      Edward Snowden posited that if advanced civilizations do exist, it's possible they've simply encrypted their messages. I mean, we can encrypt emails and text messages fairly well, surely an advanced species can exponentially improve their encryption techniques to make themselves much less detectable than once hoped.

                      Scanning the skies for radio waves probably isn't going to cut it

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                        Still trying to fully grasp the implications of this ... besides of course confirming everything Einstein theorized with General Relativity. I get that we will now be able to measure and "see" Black Holes a bit better, perhaps see a bit further out as well, in terms of locating black holes and supernovas.. but that's about it, right?

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Joey wrote: View Post
                          Still trying to fully grasp the implications of this ... besides of course confirming everything Einstein theorized with General Relativity. I get that we will now be able to measure and "see" Black Holes a bit better, perhaps see a bit further out as well, in terms of locating black holes and supernovas.. but that's about it, right?
                          Not sure if this helps, but from a redditor:

                          Astronomer here! A lot of ELI5 requests on gravitational waves, and what this means.

                          Gravitational waves were predicted by Einstein to explain how two things millions of miles apart can be aware of each other (think, why the Earth goes around the sun). Basically, it is a ripple in the fabric of space-time itself that everything with mass gives out, and bigger things give off bigger ripples. These ripples are predicted to travel at the speed of light- so, to go back to the Earth-Sun example, if the Sun disappeared this second you would have a 7 minute delay where the Earth would keep going on its orbit *as if* the Sun were still there.

                          Now, LIGO. These guys did an amazing experiment where they basically had two stations, one in Louisiana and one in Washington State, where you're basically shooting a laser down a several mile long tunnel in a hope to see a ripple as a gravitational wave passed through. This is *insanely* precise work- as in, as precise as a human hair's diameter *over three light years from Earth*. What's more, this is only sensitive right now to the biggest, strongest gravitational wave signatures right now, such as black hole mergers- so we are not detecting planets with this anytime soon for example- but hey, gotta start somewhere!

                          Finally, I can't emphasize how *huge* this is! We are literally going into a new era of astronomy right now, and I think that's no exaggeration. Think of it this way, most of astronomy right now has been done with light, ie electromagnetic waves- with some exceptions, like cosmic rays or space missions- but pretty much all astronomy has only been with EM waves. Now we will literally have a new tool in our toolkit and will likely learn all sorts of new things we won't have even expected. I can't wait!
                          https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comm...ational_waves/

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Not sure if this helps, but from a redditor:
                            Think of it this way, most of astronomy right now has been done with light, ie electromagnetic waves- with some exceptions, like cosmic rays or space missions- but pretty much all astronomy has only been with EM waves. Now we will literally have a new tool in our toolkit and will likely learn all sorts of new things we won't have even expected.
                            Good find. Ya this bit here is basically what I thought .. pretty cool stuff! And like he says, right now, I think they are limited to only being able to measure massively disruptive gravitational waves, like those from two black holes merging (which they witnessed for the first in doing this experiment as well) or a super-nova. But still, now that they know it works, they can fine tune to probably pick up any crazy amount of fluctuations .. even though these were already movements in that laser by only fractions of an atom.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Joey wrote: View Post
                              Good find. Ya this bit here is basically what I thought .. pretty cool stuff! And like he says, right now, I think they are limited to only being able to measure massively disruptive gravitational waves, like those from two black holes merging (which they witnessed for the first in doing this experiment as well) or a super-nova. But still, now that they know it works, they can fine tune to probably pick up any crazy amount of fluctuations .. even though these were already movements in that laser by only fractions of an atom.
                              And from what I understand these were not your run-of-the-mill black holes merging....they were gi-normous as they go. Lots of work to be done to refine the LIGO. And cant help but throw a political implication here...I understand the US Congress has just thrown a wrench into science project funding (I havent followed up on the details yet).

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Distances still seem too huge for intelligent lifeform-intelligent lifeform travel in most galaxies - ie for us. Communication, however, seems possible with radio waves traveling at the speed of light.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X