Announcement

Collapse

Raptors Republic Android & iOS App

Hey guys and gals,

We're running a, how should I say, pilot or beta version of our new Raptors Republic app. We haven't made it official as we're still trying to work out some bugs while improving the user interface. So, its not the final version so expect to see more changes over the next while.

Anyhow, please feel free to download. Available on both Android & iPhone. It's absolutely free.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rsrepublic.app

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6946?ls=1&mt=8

If we could ask a favour though. We're welcoming feedback and suggestions on perhaps things you'd like to see. At the end of the day we're doing this for you guys by making everything here easier available for you the user. Please send your feedback (Regardless if its positive or negative) to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and we hope you guys enjoy the application.
See more
See less

The Space Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    Distances still seem too huge for intelligent lifeform-intelligent lifeform travel in most galaxies - ie for us. Communication, however, seems possible with radio waves traveling at the speed of light.

Bbbut we have moved on to gravitational waves

Interesting article on future of communications and alien possibilities...commentator thinks that's dangerous!

http://gizmodo.com/your-questions-ab...red-1758269933

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
      Distances still seem too huge for intelligent lifeform-intelligent lifeform travel in most galaxies - ie for us. Communication, however, seems possible with radio waves traveling at the speed of light.
      warp drives and quantum entanglement solve distance problems.

we have 4 billion years to get away from the sun, and near enough the same amount of time to get away from andromeda. as a race we are lucky to have developed an understanding of everything and how flimsy it all is to prevent extinction.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
        So Pluto is back in the news, I'm bored, and its a pretty big deal.

Up until recently, the best thing we had for a "picture" of Pluto was this:

And its moon Charon? It was even worse:

For people who grew up dreaming of the day we'd know more about the little guy way out in the middle of nowhere, and then watched as it was demoted of its Planetness:

This is pretty awesome to see.

So now, thanks to the New Horizons space probe, which was launched January 19th, 2006, we now pictures that look like this (note the heart shape):

and this:

and Charon get's its close up too!

All thanks to a little yellow probe that's smaller than a Smart Car:

We are blessed with gifs like this:

Fun fact: New Horizons is the Fastest Space Probe ever launched, traveling at speeds up to 60,000km/h.
        Sweet thread!

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post

we have 4 billion years to get away from the sun, and near enough the same amount of time to get away from andromeda. as a race we are lucky to have developed an understanding of everything and how flimsy it all is to prevent extinction.
          I'm more worried about rent.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
            Bbbut we have moved on to gravitational waves

Interesting article on future of communications and alien possibilities...commentator thinks that's dangerous!

http://gizmodo.com/your-questions-ab...red-1758269933
            Loved this one:
            How far away do you have to be from this kind of black hole merger to live to tell the tale?

Stuver: For the black hole binary we detected with gravitational waves, they produced a maximum change in the length of our 4 km (~2.5 mi) long arms [of] 1x10-18 meters (that is 1/1000 the diameter of a proton). We also estimate that these black holes were 1.3 billion light-years away.

Now assume that we are 2 m (~6.5 ft) tall and floating outside the black holes at a distance equal to the Earth’s distance to the Sun. I estimate that you would feel alternately squished and stretched by about 165 nm (your height changes by more than this through the course of the day due to your vertebrae compressing while you are upright). This is more than survivable.
            If those crazy Black Holes were the same distance away from us as the Sun is, we would barely be effected by it?! That's wild! Though I guess Interstellar proved that already kind of .. I shouldn't have doubted you Nolan.

Comment

Humanity is not going to survive for 4 billion years. Thank God. Lol.
              MeDar ReDozan

Comment

Henry_Chinaski wrote: View Post
                Humanity is not going to survive for 4 billion years. Thank God. Lol.
                lol. or whatever our descendants evolve into.

the only type 3 civilization i can think of is the Q. they are the only things i remember that can transcend space, time and reality at will.

Comment

A 5th dimension being. Just as in the movie Interstellar.

The Q is interesting but I don't think we would be able to perceive them properly if something existed like that. Just as something living in the second dimension wouldn't be able to properly interpret what you are, they'd instead see only a crosssection of you and it would look like nothing they'd seen before. It would be horrifying for them, they wouldn't know what to make of it. Just as us interpreting a being from the fourth dimension where the illusion of time is removed from the equation.

A good idea for a science fiction book would be to connect a line between UFO and "angel" sightings and 4th or 5th dimension beings. Mix in a little conflict, conspiracy and Tom Hank's and you have a successful movie for that matter.

Comment

"Declassified audio of the Apollo 10 mission has brought attention to a moment when NASA astronauts heard strange "outer spacey" music during their trip around the Moon. "

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/22/11...a-noises-music

Fuck... they have found my partying spot..

Comment

What music? All I heard was like radio interference stuff like I get on some of my AM transmissions at home.

Comment

Yeah I don't hear anything in the way of music but I have heard about this tale before.

Comment

behold gravity in all its glory

Comment

Astronaut prank

These guys must go stir crazy after months up there....so Nasa helps with a very funny prank...

Comment

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/weve-cau...144836826.html

pretty sure type 2 supernovas are what potentially make neutron stars or black holes. if this one is as big as they say at 300 solar masses it should have a chance to make one or the other. i would imagine all available telescopes to be pointed in that direction for the next little while as at the very least a new nebula will form.

Comment

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/weve-cau...144836826.html

pretty sure type 2 supernovas are what potentially make neutron stars or black holes. if this one is as big as they say at 300 solar masses it should have a chance to make one or the other. i would imagine all available telescopes to be pointed in that direction for the next little while as at the very least a new nebula will form.
                                cool video thanks for posting

i am a man made of stars!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X