Announcement

Collapse

Raptors Republic Android & iOS App

Hey guys and gals,

We're running a, how should I say, pilot or beta version of our new Raptors Republic app. We haven't made it official as we're still trying to work out some bugs while improving the user interface. So, its not the final version so expect to see more changes over the next while.

Anyhow, please feel free to download. Available on both Android & iPhone. It's absolutely free.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rsrepublic.app

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6946?ls=1&mt=8

If we could ask a favour though. We're welcoming feedback and suggestions on perhaps things you'd like to see. At the end of the day we're doing this for you guys by making everything here easier available for you the user. Please send your feedback (Regardless if its positive or negative) to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and we hope you guys enjoy the application.
See more
See less

Politics - The Legend Continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    RE AMAZONS TAX BREAK TO BUILD A NEW HUB IN NYC

    So lets look at this from a different angle than a one time 1.5B tax break...

    Say Amazon employs the 25K people they said they would... Assume the median salary from top to bottom is 75K as its NYC.

    So thats 25,000 X 75,000 which is ~1.9B in new tax bases...

    Say NYC and New York State Taxes and Federal Taxes gobble up 40% of that salary in the various levels of sales taxes, property taxes, income taxes and just for the fuck of it taxes ... thats 750M a year...

    So in a couple of years.. the tax breaks handed out to Amazon pays for itself... A two year IRR...

    No ?
    Yes ?
    This is why giving @AOC a participation ribbon in math and moving the problem along to the next level instead of grades really really hurts ?
    I wasn't talking about this though ....

    But it's also not 25,000 new tax bases, assuming all of these people are currently working ..

    Comment


    • Joey wrote: View Post
      I wasn't talking about this though ....

      But it's also not 25,000 new tax bases, assuming all of these people are currently working ..
      Still, $27B was projected in new revenue.

      Comment


      • Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
        RE AMAZONS TAX BREAK TO BUILD A NEW HUB IN NYC

        So lets look at this from a different angle than a one time 1.5B tax break...

        Say Amazon employs the 25K people they said they would... Assume the median salary from top to bottom is 75K as its NYC.

        So thats 25,000 X 75,000 which is ~1.9B in new tax bases...

        Say NYC and New York State Taxes and Federal Taxes gobble up 40% of that salary in the various levels of sales taxes, property taxes, income taxes and just for the fuck of it taxes ... thats 750M a year...

        So in a couple of years.. the tax breaks handed out to Amazon pays for itself... A two year IRR...

        No ?
        Yes ?
        This is why giving @AOC a participation ribbon in math and moving the problem along to the next level instead of grades really really hurts ?
        It is a complicated issue going beyond the immediate addition to the local, federal govts and Amazon's coffers. I shall just mention the macro issue of very large companies perhaps with their heavy digital footprint do their "civic" duty by providing such growth to the less deprived areas of the/a country. Spread the wealth around of their white collar high paying jobs perhaps to the midwest/south (Ohio, Kansas perhaps?). They may not feel so slighted then when it comes to seeing these great new jobs being erected in the usual suspect large east or west coastal city areas. This has been a large complaint where in order to partake of this largesse families or children after Univ. have to uproot and move in order to upgrade or depend on Sam Walton.

        That was the macro. The micro is with general unemployment being relatively low in the NY area this addon of jobs or tax base is not so consequential imv. The upheaval of existing families in surrounding areas will surely be affected by being outpriced just in the housing market to begin with. Other infrastructure, schools, traffic etc?

        Bottom line... I believe the Amazons should really tweak their next-location discovery model based not on the absolute squeeze on the "which major metropolitan area gives us the best boost to the balance sheet" but how can we be a more diversely positioned company in the country. They are so supremely wealthy already... they can be a bit more ingenius about spreading their brand beyond the Whole Foods locations they so clearly yearn to mimic.

        As they say, it really shouldn't be ALL about the Benjamins ... especially when you can afford it.
        “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?”

        J.M. Keynes

        Comment


        • Bendit wrote: View Post
          It is a complicated issue going beyond the immediate addition to the local, federal govts and Amazon's coffers. I shall just mention the macro issue of very large companies perhaps with their heavy digital footprint do their "civic" duty by providing such growth to the less deprived areas of the/a country. Spread the wealth around of their white collar high paying jobs perhaps to the midwest/south (Ohio, Kansas perhaps?). They may not feel so slighted then when it comes to seeing these great new jobs being erected in the usual suspect large east or west coastal city areas. This has been a large complaint where in order to partake of this largesse families or children after Univ. have to uproot and move in order to upgrade or depend on Sam Walton.

          That was the macro. The micro is with general unemployment being relatively low in the NY area this addon of jobs or tax base is not so consequential imv. The upheaval of existing families in surrounding areas will surely be affected by being outpriced just in the housing market to begin with. Other infrastructure, schools, traffic etc?

          Bottom line... I believe the Amazons should really tweak their next-location discovery model based not on the absolute squeeze on the "which major metropolitan area gives us the best boost to the balance sheet" but how can we be a more diversely positioned company in the country. They are so supremely wealthy already... they can be a bit more ingenius about spreading their brand beyond the Whole Foods locations they so clearly yearn to mimic.

          As they say, it really shouldn't be ALL about the Benjamins ... especially when you can afford it.
          Apple is supremely wealthy... Amazon just getting started. Investors waited years for this kind of Amazon. Slower growth, but profitable.

          Last edited by rocwell; Mon Feb 18th, 2019, 01:48 PM.

          Comment


          • Bendit wrote: View Post
            It is a complicated issue going beyond the immediate addition to the local, federal govts and Amazon's coffers. I shall just mention the macro issue of very large companies perhaps with their heavy digital footprint do their "civic" duty by providing such growth to the less deprived areas of the/a country. Spread the wealth around of their white collar high paying jobs perhaps to the midwest/south (Ohio, Kansas perhaps?). They may not feel so slighted then when it comes to seeing these great new jobs being erected in the usual suspect large east or west coastal city areas. This has been a large complaint where in order to partake of this largesse families or children after Univ. have to uproot and move in order to upgrade or depend on Sam Walton.

            That was the macro. The micro is with general unemployment being relatively low in the NY area this addon of jobs or tax base is not so consequential imv. The upheaval of existing families in surrounding areas will surely be affected by being outpriced just in the housing market to begin with. Other infrastructure, schools, traffic etc?

            Bottom line... I believe the Amazons should really tweak their next-location discovery model based not on the absolute squeeze on the "which major metropolitan area gives us the best boost to the balance sheet" but how can we be a more diversely positioned company in the country. They are so supremely wealthy already... they can be a bit more ingenius about spreading their brand beyond the Whole Foods locations they so clearly yearn to mimic.

            As they say, it really shouldn't be ALL about the Benjamins ... especially when you can afford it.
            Its been my humble experience that issues "get complicated" when uncomplicated answers derail a false narrative ....

            and btw... NY state has the HIGHEST personal income and propety taxes in the republic...so its probably understating the tax collected from those 25K new jobs aggregated with NYC building permits and the other countless regualtions that carry a fee from the city fathers.....

            on the plus side.. territary business that supply a new biz hub the size of an Amazon campus also stand to do well.....

            If you think thats wrong.. watch the slow death of Oshawa as GM folds up its tent and leaves town...Auto parts.. mom and pop greasy spoons... to name just a couple of verticals are going to take a hit to the solar plexus they won't be able to survive...


            Its not as if Amazon is paying its new hires in company scrip and forcing them to live in substandard living conditions....
            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Feb 18th, 2019, 02:15 PM.

            Comment


            • I did not know they had that look to their earnings chart. Thks.

              However the discussion here was primarily about the chosen NYC location as a major hub. The major work of positioning the brand has been done I think. Does Amazon really have to locate their new location in NYC in order to maintain their profitability/earnings/revenue trajectory? I hear Chicago is hot on the heels to fill the gap. Even though my preference to setup in a more depressed area to help with job and infrastructure growth is preferable for reasons mentioned... even this maybe a better option than east or west coast. Remember they are now a digital company and they move goods (hardly warehouse long term anymore). They can move anywhere I think which has a couple of long runways. They actually attract people to move where they are.
              “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?”

              J.M. Keynes

              Comment


              • Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                Its been my humble experience that issues "get complicated" when uncomplicated answers derail a false narrative ....

                and btw... NY state has the HIGHEST personal income and propety taxes in the republic...so its probably understating the tax collected from those 25K new jobs aggregated with NYC building permits and the other countless regualtions that carry a fee from the city fathers.....

                If you think thats wrong.. watch the slow death of Oshawa as GM folds up its tent and leaves town...Auto parts.. mom and pop greasy spoons... to name just a couple of verticals are going to take a hit to the solar plexus they won't be able to survive...
                I am not sure I am following the argument here. I don't dispute how everyone in Queens (in monetary terms at least) does not benefit. Social conditions for the lower middle class individuals ... not so much. I lived in Queens ...some years ago so aware of the landscape. NY in general is not going to "suffer" with Amazon changing their minds. I am suggesting some other more depressed part of the country may benefit more. Paradoxically such an area would openly welcome Amazon, while NYC shrugs them off precisely because many see it as more of an unneeded nuisance. Funny how these things work eh?

                And why are we comparing the tax base of Oshawa to the boroughs of Queens/Long Island?
                “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?”

                J.M. Keynes

                Comment


                • McCabe on 60 mins. interview. Staggering.


                  28 mins. ...quite revelatory.

                  https://www.cbsnews.com/video/andrew...on-2019-02-17/
                  “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?”

                  J.M. Keynes

                  Comment


                  • Bendit wrote: View Post
                    McCabe on 60 mins. interview. Staggering.


                    28 mins. ...quite revelatory.

                    https://www.cbsnews.com/video/andrew...on-2019-02-17/
                    Trump could tweet a Confession and still stand free. It's revolting.

                    Comment


                    • I guess we can call this Irregular Resignations from the PMO. Gerry Butts won't be the last rat to leave the sinking Liberal government of Justin Sockboy Trudeau.


                      Comment


                      • Superjudge wrote: View Post
                        Trump could tweet a Confession and still stand free. It's revolting.
                        To the point where one party of one co-equal branch of their government completely fails to exercise their independence and authority and say "stop this shit".

                        He is doing it again with this National Emergency b/s ... an "emergency" he disavowed a minute after he invoked it!! ...and not too many murmurs from certain quarters. There is historical precedence for this ... and it did not happen in the US. A slow march to ... but there will be heroes shown in this nightmare when it all ends.
                        “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?”

                        J.M. Keynes

                        Comment


                        • Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                          I guess we can call this Irregular Resignations from the PMO. Gerry Butts won't be the last rat to leave the sinking Liberal government of Justin Sockboy Trudeau.



                          Well, he categorically denies any interference... his letter of resignation:

                          https://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...gnation-letter


                          There is an enquiry into this serious matter and I hope it all comes out in the wash. I understand Raybould shall be standing in her riding again. Right now you boys are going with anonymous sources or do you have a name of a witness to the wrong?

                          SLN is the Canadian company version of too big to fail and too big not to have their fingers on the levers of government ... by that I mean a government run by either party. Such companies tend to get institutionalized.

                          We'll see when the reports of the investigations show up.
                          “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?”

                          J.M. Keynes

                          Comment


                          • Bendit wrote: View Post
                            Well, he categorically denies any interference... his letter of resignation:

                            https://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...gnation-letter


                            There is an enquiry into this serious matter and I hope it all comes out in the wash. I understand Raybould shall be standing in her riding again. Right now you boys are going with anonymous sources or do you have a name of a witness to the wrong?

                            SLN is the Canadian company version of too big to fail and too big not to have their fingers on the levers of government ... by that I mean a government run by either party. Such companies tend to get institutionalized.

                            We'll see when the reports of the investigations show up.
                            Nixon categorically denied any wrong doing....So did Dellen Millard.... and Metro East is just chock full of people who didn't do anything wrong... These are of course extreme examples to make a point.

                            You can't argue the optics don't look good. Butts maintaining he did nothing untoward here but...he is leaving .. in a hurry on a very slow news day as most of the country is on a holiday.

                            There will be some level of official investigation which like all matters headed by parliamentary committees will spend much time and effort and money to find nothing but produce one big fat report. If the media in this country ... most notably the CBC ....wants to regain some credibility as a non partisan watchdog of the sitting government of the day this story has legs. It also has many many many more actors in it.

                            Get out the butter.... TeamTrudeau is toast.

                            Comment


                            • Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                              Nixon categorically denied any wrong doing....So did Dellen Millard.... and Metro East is just chock full of people who didn't do anything wrong... These are of course extreme examples to make a point.

                              You can't argue the optics don't look good. Butts maintaining he did nothing untoward here but...he is leaving .. in a hurry on a very slow news day as most of the country is on a holiday.

                              There will be some level of official investigation which like all matters headed by parliamentary committees will spend much time and effort and money to find nothing but produce one big fat report. If the media in this country ... most notably the CBC ....wants to regain some credibility as a non partisan watchdog of the sitting government of the day this story has legs. It also has many many many more actors in it.

                              Get out the butter.... TeamTrudeau is toast.
                              Oh dear Demo. I have been thru my experiences with all manner of trials, tribulations and misfires. Even with the Trumpian saga I am fully on board with what the Mueller report has to say about it all. But in that case there are people convicted and the circumstantial evidence (never mind his actions/responses) has the peculiar stench of napalm-oddness everyday.

                              Correct me ... just one anonymous source to the Globe or CTV? Maybe I missed some others. Butts as with Raybould does more harm by staying than being the good soldier and leaving to avoid the Q&As everyday. After all he was the powerful guy thru which everything goes thru... last firewall... so yes he becomes suspect... I get it. But thru his letter he says "prove it". So there we are. Let's find out.

                              Throw the book at them all if they interfered with the prosecutors office. Ask them. It's really quite simple.
                              “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?”

                              J.M. Keynes

                              Comment



                              • Comment

                                Working...
                                X