Announcement

Collapse

Raptors Republic Android & iOS App

Hey guys and gals,

We're running a, how should I say, pilot or beta version of our new Raptors Republic app. We haven't made it official as we're still trying to work out some bugs while improving the user interface. So, its not the final version so expect to see more changes over the next while.

Anyhow, please feel free to download. Available on both Android & iPhone. It's absolutely free.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rsrepublic.app

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6946?ls=1&mt=8

If we could ask a favour though. We're welcoming feedback and suggestions on perhaps things you'd like to see. At the end of the day we're doing this for you guys by making everything here easier available for you the user. Please send your feedback (Regardless if its positive or negative) to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and we hope you guys enjoy the application.
See more
See less

Politics - The Legend Continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bendit wrote: View Post
    I am sorry, I do not know the context of the quotes by Merkel that you present and when. I did not say she does not have a political problem today having to deal with a minority position in her parliament. Politicians say what they have to under different circumstances. Is this new? When was that quote made?

And I present you a Merkel quote just before the last election Oct. 2017...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...fugees-in-2015

Like I mentioned before 2015 was more than 2 years ago...she was left alone to deal with over a million refugee tsunami. She made a great humanitarian decision that no one else was prepared to do...and maybe she had no choice. I for one will not dump on her. That too is a mark of great leadership. She did not run away from not standing again...which she could have.

What the Brits, Italians and Greeks did to help people from drowning and providing shelter is commendable but not the same as what Merkel did. What many in the EU did putting up all kind of roadblocks (metaphorical and otherwise like barbed wire etc) was terrible and left her alone. I regret you cannot recognize that.

My only point here...that Merkel is a brave and compassionate leader...and she isn't a lefty politically (lol).
    She was left alone.. Stop it! She wasn't left alone, everyone was talking about EU migrant crisis in 2014, especially Swedes, Brits and French. Merkel decided to start biggest project of Germany's democratic freedom without public inquires, without public consultations. That's my problem. You can't do that! Great leaders would've found a way how to make refugee crisis look like global and moral challenge. She failed on this point. She's brave and compassionate but she's not a great leader. Period. Europe is suffering consequences because of 2015 decision. And most major problems could've been avoided with consultations and a proper plan. Integration is a long-game(just 17% German refugees are employed) and it will take decades before Merkel's effort bear fruit, but from legislative point of view, Germany was rushed into a decision that affected not only their citizens, but 700m more who didn't even get a chance to debate Germany's policy. That's my problem.

Here's Merkel's words from 2016:

“No one wants a repeat of last year’s situation, including me,” Merkel said.

“If I was able to, I would turn back time by many, many years, so that I could have prepared the whole government and the authorities for the situation which hit us out of the blue in the late summer of 2015,” she said.

Merkel is woke now and her quote that she'd make all 2015 decisions the same way is bullshit and you know it, if you're following EU migrant crisis. EU policy sucks at the moment, but Germany is being praised and that's because of their continuous improvements of refugee policy. So that quote that she'd make all 2015 decision the same way is definitely BULLSHIT. That's like Trump arguing about his past stupid decisions and saying that they were the best decisions ever. Just look at Germany's refugee policies now. They're working on much better policies together with independent partners(hint: charities don't have so much influence like they had back in 2015.) They're making correct decision that should've been made back in 2015, but I guess you learn as you go. Merkel now surely knows that teamwork is the key to success.
    Last edited by rocwell; Tue Jan 16th, 2018, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I am glad you believe that the Brexit process is working great. Is that why a second referendum is spoken of so openly?
      A second referendum would indicate an illusion of democracy. One might argue the first referendum established that based on what has transpired since.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
        Yeah, cuz all great leaders flip flop on 'all refugees welcome policy' just before election.. right?
        When actions diverge from talk you know you're dealing with a liar.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
          A second referendum would indicate an illusion of democracy. One might argue the first referendum established that based on what has transpired since.
          It's not an "illusion" because a second one can only be held and affirmed by the British parliament. It will have it's own basis and it's results just as valid as that of the previous one.

And as we know, Parliament is always supreme.
          “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?”

J.M. Keynes

Comment

It's not an "illusion" because a second one can only be held and affirmed by the British parliament. It will have it's own basis and it's results just as valid as that of the previous one.

Fuck no. People are tired of broken promises. If Parliament pushed for 2nd referendum right now... I don't know what would happen. That's just a catastrophic breach of trust with the public who are already tired of British political bullshits.
            Last edited by rocwell; Tue Jan 16th, 2018, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• Here's Merkel's words from 2016:

“No one wants a repeat of last year’s situation, including me,” Merkel said.

“If I was able to, I would turn back time by many, many years, so that I could have prepared the whole government and the authorities for the situation which hit us out of the blue in the late summer of 2015,” she said.

I do not know what you are arguing with the above. As I understand it, she wishes the events of 2015 never occurred. What about that wishful thinking do you have a problem with. I know I do not.

Merkel made her decision based on fast moving events when refugees were being denied entry in most countries in Europe. SHe decided to take them in...not wait on roadblocks and time wasting maneuvers by many countries. That you wanted her to get a inclusive agreement was not going to happen immediately in the circumstances. If you actually believe otherwise.. then we shall just continue to have to disagree. You cannot decide to take some of her quotes and not others. Neither of us were there with her.

ps... Please show me a direct quote by Merkel that she made a mistake not making her decision a collective one of the EU.

J.M. Keynes

Comment

Fuck no. People are tired of broken promises. If Parliament pushed for 2nd referendum right now... I don't know what would happen. That's just a catastrophic breach of trust with the public who are already tired of British political bullshits.
                I am not even sure a second one would occur. Like I said, if Parliament says there will be another one (and it will probably be one on the final deal) it does not matter what anyone else thinks. My response was directly to the Apollo post contents.

J.M. Keynes

Comment

I do not know what you are arguing with the above. As I understand it, she wishes the events of 2015 never occurred. What about that wishful thinking do you have a problem with. I know I do not.

Merkel made her decision based on fast moving events when refugees were being denied entry in most countries in Europe. SHe decided to take them in...not wait on roadblocks and time wasting maneuvers by many countries. That you wanted her to get a inclusive agreement was not going to happen immediately in the circumstances. If you actually believe otherwise.. then we shall just continue to have to disagree. You cannot decide to take some of her quotes and not others. Neither of us were there with her.

ps... Please show me a direct quote by Merkel that she made a mistake not making her decision a collective one of the EU.
                  So you truly think it was okay to "go rogue", ignore all European members and implement a policy that affected 700m European citizens who didn't even get a chance to talk about upcoming policy? Wow. Why is that everyone has to go through consultations with EU partners when new "overreaching" policy ideas are coming from Poland, Baltic States, Netherlands, UK... but Germans get a pass?
                  Last edited by rocwell; Tue Jan 16th, 2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

That's a bunch of shit. We all know it. Come on.

Comment

That's a bunch of shit. We all know it. Come on.
                      So you use an expletive but do not offer anything substantive in reply? What about the supremacy of Parliament do you disagree with?

The principle of Parliamentary sovereignty means neither more nor less than this, namely, that Parliament thus defined has, under the English constitution, the right to make or unmake any law whatever; and, further, that no person or body is recognised by the law of England as having a right to override or set aside the legislation of Parliament.

J.M. Keynes

Comment

So you truly think it was okay to "go rogue", ignore all European members and implement a policy that affected 700m European citizens who didn't even get a chance to talk about upcoming policy? Wow. Why is that everyone has to go through consultations with EU partners when new "overreaching" policy ideas are coming from Poland, Baltic States, Netherlands, UK... but Germans get a pass?
                        Frankly I am losing your argument here.

a) How did she go rogue? On the one hand you as a Brexit supporter wants Britain to separate so she can assert her "independence"...then berate Merkel for making a German decision to allow about a million refugees mostly on humanitarian grounds (not economic)?

b) She showed leadership on this because to "save" of many many destitutes she decided to allow them into her country. Why do you have a problem about this...because they can now have free movement in Europe? Is that the real beef?

c) Who did she "ignore"? Can they not step up now and assist in resettling some after Germany took the initial hit?

d) I do not understand "overreaching policies" in your last sentence. What are you referring to? What has Germany reneged on in real EU legal reqts.?

Germany is holding the water financially for the EU. Most countries who have the financial clout typically throw their weight around. Is Germany doing this? I dont know I do not follow the minutiae of EU politics...just making a general observation. You need to consider this and that much as everyone would like there is a pecking order/hierarchy in just about every org. I know.

Again, on this one issue of refugee assimilation, Merkel in her position did (imo) the right thing and fully willing to take the heat. She did not have to...but she did.

I think I have exhausted explaining my position on this. Thanks for your viewpoint...maybe we are speaking past each other here.

J.M. Keynes

Comment

So you use an expletive but do not offer anything substantive in reply? What about the supremacy of Parliament do you disagree with?
                          Why have the referendum at all? It was all for show but it blew up in their faces. That's why its a bunch of shit. Parliament is elected to represent the people and the majority of the people voted to leave the EU.

Comment

Why have the referendum at all? It was all for show but it blew up in their faces. That's why its a bunch of shit. Parliament is elected to represent the people and the majority of the people voted to leave the EU.
                            Wait, so what's the argument against a second referendum? Wouldn't that give a more current snapshot of the will of the people?

I can see the arguments against referendums in general. Governing is the job of the elected. But given the incredible misinformation involved in the initial referendum, what is the downside to a second? Beyond getting a more realistic picture of the will of the people?
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?”

J.M. Keynes

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                Wait, so what's the argument against a second referendum? Wouldn't that give a more current snapshot of the will of the people?

I can see the arguments against referendums in general. Governing is the job of the elected. But given the incredible misinformation involved in the initial referendum, what is the downside to a second? Beyond getting a more realistic picture of the will of the people?
                                The had the referendum was held because government wanted the people to decide. They voted, a decision was made and the government had its direction to proceed. They should proceed. My question would be why is it necessary to hold another referendum? My second question is what stops a third, fourth or fifth referendum on the same question? My third question is don't you think this illustrates a decline in democracy? I mean forget where you fall on the political scale, the ends never justify the means when you walk around democracy. You devalue the whole thing, remove its meaning and power; open the door to all sorts of abuses of power or loss of rights and freedoms.

Comment

Working...
                                X