Announcement

Collapse

Raptors Republic Android & iOS App

Hey guys and gals,

We're running a, how should I say, pilot or beta version of our new Raptors Republic app. We haven't made it official as we're still trying to work out some bugs while improving the user interface. So, its not the final version so expect to see more changes over the next while.

Anyhow, please feel free to download. Available on both Android & iPhone. It's absolutely free.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rsrepublic.app

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6946?ls=1&mt=8

If we could ask a favour though. We're welcoming feedback and suggestions on perhaps things you'd like to see. At the end of the day we're doing this for you guys by making everything here easier available for you the user. Please send your feedback (Regardless if its positive or negative) to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and we hope you guys enjoy the application.
See more
See less

Politics - The Legend Continues...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Was the Resistance Inside the Obama Administration

https://newrepublic.com/article/1511...administration

Comment

• Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
        In a word: no.

No, "finding efficiencies in government" does not say anything about reducing council seats in one particular city in the province.

No, a remapping of electoral wards doesn't seem "pragmatic" unless your sole goal is "reducing the size of (municipal) government". He's never given any explanation why he thinks the number of councillors is excessive and means less effective governance. Not everyone believes smaller by necessity = better government. I agree with you about folks that value ideological views over pragmatism, though...
        Jimmie he went on ad nauseum as to why he believes the number of city councils is to high.

The OPC's view that since the very forgettable David Miller era City Council has stalled out on getting material new transit infrastructure built. Its pretty lean on wins for community housing. Frame that back against representation at the provincial and federal levels being acceptable ... why is it that Toronto needs MORE representation municipally ? Less is more in the case of TO Council.

It doesn't hang that they're efficent.. Play back the local seniors who chipped in 500 bucks to get a small staircase built so they could get into thier local park. It got built in a few hours. After being shamed into acting council said it would cost 65 grand and they'd get to it shortly.

Nice catch on my juxtaposition on pragmatism vs ideology. I fucked that sentence up. Seeing that you took the time to write about it.. I take it you get what I was saying..

Curious....Do you live in Toronto ?
        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Sep 11th, 2018, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
          Your post makes no sense. I refute plenty ... check my refutes. And I did so in the post you quoted.

Re typo, it's a good thing I disclosed why I did .. in case you came up with a complaint... which you did nevertheless. You must really have nothing more to say on the subject. Which is fine.
          Not to worry...
          A) Your a known refuter.. what my grandfather called a worthy opponent.
          B) I am not that petty about typo's
          C) I enjoy the discourse... even though your 100% wrong

Comment

• https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1...26start%3D1900

Comment

The only one that really matters is #1. There's no argument against that one.

He's an idiot and he lacks any political foresight. If he wanted to do this, he should have taken a measured approach to a huge change that was bound to piss off a lot of people. Get your legislative ducks in order, consult your lawyers, consult your electorate, do some kind of "study" that proves smaller would be better, etc.

Instead, he just said it was done, in the midst of a municipal campaign, no less. Stupid.
              I'd venture that he has pissed off and ruffled the oh so proper robots at the Toronto Star and the editorial board of the Globe and Mail.... As to how many actual day to day people who worry about daycare pickup and getting the kids to hockey... not so much.
              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Sep 11th, 2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Comment

Heavens no... any professional study might well have shown these "cuts" resulting in more expense (more employees and contractors etc)... which points to the "I am the boss" and ideological/personal animus reasoning.
                  For a son of the republic... calling for bigger government must be antithetical to your ancestors well being.

Comment

The only one that really matters is #1. There's no argument against that one.

He's an idiot and he lacks any political foresight. If he wanted to do this, he should have taken a measured approach to a huge change that was bound to piss off a lot of people. Get your legislative ducks in order, consult your lawyers, consult your electorate, do some kind of "study" that proves smaller would be better, etc.

Instead, he just said it was done, in the midst of a municipal campaign, no less. Stupid.
                    I don't agree with the lacking 'political foresight'. It's the same approach the NDP took here in AB. They wanted to introduce all sorts of stuff they didn't campaign on and they knew would be unpopular so they rammed it through straightaway before opposition could coalesce. For example, they would never have passed a carbon tax now if they had waited or their farm bill or their labour law changes.

It's far smarter (and shows far more acumen) to get as much passed as you possibly can as soon as possible while your opponents are reeling after the election. Whether this was a fight worth spending political capital on is another question that, again, voters will answer next election.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                      Jimmie he went on ad nauseum as to why he believes the number of city councils is to high.

The OPC's view that since the very forgettable David Miller era City Council has stalled out on getting material new transit infrastructure built. Its pretty lean on wins for community housing. Frame that back against representation at the provincial and federal levels being acceptable ... why is it that Toronto needs MORE representation municipally ? Less is more in the case of TO Council.

It doesn't hang that they're efficent.. Play back the local seniors who chipped in 500 bucks to get a small staircase built so they could get into thier local park. It got built in a few hours. After being shamed into acting council said it would cost 65 grand and they'd get to it shortly.

Nice catch on my juxtaposition on pragmatism vs ideology. I fucked that sentence up. Seeing that you took the time to write about it.. I take it you get what I was saying..

Curious....Do you live in Toronto ?
                      I do not live in Toronto. Thus my dispassionate approach to this issue.

What makes you think fewer city councillors will result in any expediency re: those projects you mention above? Smaller government being better/more efficient is purely an ideological argument until you have evidence it's true.

And just a question: Where did Doug Ford the city councillor stand on transit infrastructure? Community housing?

Is it really that there has been resistance to policy desired by Ford, and thus the solution is to limit the number of people he has to cajole to get anything done? That's much different from "smaller, leaner, more efficient government".
                      Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

For a son of the republic... calling for bigger government must be antithetical to your ancestors well being.
                        Nah...just looking out for those who need the child daycare and hockey rinks maintained etc. etc.

You somehow seem to discount the very real possibility that the cuts to councillors will not result in more hiring elsewhere within City Hall to assist the reduced number of councillors to try and keep up with their expanded wards. Did Mr. Ford study or consult on this? Is it possible with these proposed cuts it maybe more expensive and possibly less efficient?

The electorate would like to be informed. Another sole proprietor trying to run big government.

My ancestors were just happy making do... thanks for the concern.
                        “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?”

J.M. Keynes

Comment

I do not live in Toronto. Thus my dispassionate approach to this issue.

What makes you think fewer city councillors will result in any expediency re: those projects you mention above? Smaller government being better/more efficient is purely an ideological argument until you have evidence it's true.

And just a question: Where did Doug Ford the city councillor stand on transit infrastructure? Community housing?

Is it really that there has been resistance to policy desired by Ford, and thus the solution is to limit the number of people he has to cajole to get anything done? That's much different from "smaller, leaner, more efficient government".
                          Ford in his limited stay at City Hall was pro transit.. but he wanted subways not LRT. Tory talks a lot but so far no shovels in the ground on any more subways or net new LRT track. He has done some work on repurposing CN/CP for commuter transit rail lines in off hours. Yet its hard to point to anything that has moved forward in a material way as council can't agree on how to do it. Committe meetings.. feasability studies rule the day. Its like they don' want to or are afraid to come out of the room and actually play the game.

For the largest city in Canada Toronto operates like a small town. Petty issues like building a bridge between the Island Airport and the downtown core dominate council. For years a functioning and well used airport had to ferry passangers back and forth.

Its not working very well now. If your getting beat 10 zip each game .. why trot out the same stragegy each and every time.

Less is more here... some agree and some don't. But you would be hard pressed to find a majority of folks who live here say that the current record of City Council would get a "highly recommended" check mark.

Comment

Nah...just looking out for those who need the child daycare and hockey rinks maintained etc. etc.

You somehow seem to discount the very real possibility that the cuts to councillors will not result in more hiring elsewhere within City Hall to assist the reduced number of councillors to try and keep up with their expanded wards. Did Mr. Ford study or consult on this? Is it possible with these proposed cuts it maybe more expensive and possibly less efficient?

The electorate would like to be informed. Another sole proprietor trying to run big government.

My ancestors were just happy making do... thanks for the concern.
                            They do this now. When my mother phones to lodge yet another complaint about her garbage pick up to her councilor Norm Kelly.. its not Kelly who takes the call or calls her back. Its a member of his team that Norm hires. They are hired out of his existing council budget.

Bigger wards might garner somewhat higher budgets for this type of staffer but it frees up time for Norm to show up to vote and move policy through to legislation. And if its gridlocked stonger mayoralty powers are there to break the endless cycle of committe meetings.. debate and study's.

Happy your ancestors made do.
                            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Sep 11th, 2018, 02:08 PM.

Comment

They do this now. When my mother phones to lodge yet another complaint about her garbage pick up to her councilor Norm Kelly.. its not Kelly who takes the call or calls her back. Its a member of his team that Norm hires. They are hired out of his existing council budget.

Bigger wards might garner somewhat higher budgets for this type of staffer but it frees up time for Norm to show up to vote and move policy through to legislation. And if its gridlocked stonger mayoralty powers are there to break the endless cycle of committe meetings.. debate and study's.

Happy your ancestors made do.
                              I realize something about the functioning. My larger point was that on the rather large matter of nearly halving city council and that he uses "inefficiency" ... assume both financial and others ... as the basis, why does Ford not share the numbers with all? We might then be less vocal about our oppo. Isn't this what those on your side of the aisle complain about? ... with the "ramming down our throats" refrains?
                              “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?”

J.M. Keynes

Comment

I realize something about the functioning. My larger point was that on the rather large matter of nearly halving city council and that he uses "inefficiency" ... assume both financial and others ... as the basis, why does Ford not share the numbers with all? We might then be less vocal about our oppo. Isn't this what those on your side of the aisle complain about? ... with the "ramming down our throats" refrains?
                                Change is hard. The City has fought amalgamation and centralizing forever. The old areas of Longbranch, Mimico, Agincourt were dragged kicking and screaming into the fold. Then the Burroughs of Scarborough, North York et al got frog marched into what things look like today. I think we are lucky to have 44 Councillors instead of a 100 or more small town pols. Its a start.

At the heart of it .. is that the guts of the city are largely unaffected by this change. Fire, Police, Engineering, Waste, Water, Parks will continue to function and bring services to the city... what changes is number of what I will very disparagingly calll "look at me mom" type councillors who act more like friction than grease on moving forward policy that lets the citys services deptartments do what they do. These people can't agree on lunch let alone which engineering project needs to be prioritized. My opinion .. and I will vote that way come October.... is that less councillors and a strong mayoral executive will address this.

Comment

Working...
                                X