Y'all Qaeda

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y'all Qaeda

So I've just started following the situation that is going on in Oregon and it is seriously messed up.

I've read two different versions of the events (one from a "liberal" paper and one from a "conservative" paper), and as far as I can tell, here are the unbiased facts.

The Hammond family have long owned a cattle ranch on property that has since been semi-surrounded by a wildlife preserve. There have been on-going disputes between the Hammond family and the federal body that overseas the wildlife preserve, with years of disputes ranging from right of way access to fences and water permits. Recently, two members of the Hammond family (one aged 73, the other around 50) were charged and convicted of causing brush fires that led to damage of the wildlife preserve. That caused local peaceful protests over the jailing of the two. Since then, an armed militia, lead by two brothers (the Bundy brothers), has taken to occupy the wildlife preserve HQ in protest of the government's treatment of the Hammond family. The Hammond family has openly distanced themselves from the militia and their actions and have willingly surrendered for incarceration.

From there, things may be murky depending on which paper you read.

The liberal paper had details like the fire was started to cover up illegal hunting by the father-son.

The conservative paper had a deep history of the disputes between the Hammond family and the government regarding the land (decades worth of disputes).

Social media has taken to calling the militia "Y'all Qaeda" as they are being portrayed as "redneck terrorists."

I've also seen recent articles related to Oregon's deep history as a "White Utopia" with open legislated racism and gun culture - which of course seems related to what is happening.

At this point, it seems that 100-150 armed members of this militia are holding the wildlife preserve. The local area has shut down all schools, etc for fear of violence. The police intend to shut off all electricity, telephone and road access to the part HQ in hopes of a peaceful surrender. The militia claims to be intending to stay for the long haul, but pictures that have been seen do not show a very large food supply. The militia has used social media to call all US Patriots to join them and for people to "send snacks." Current weather forecasts show winter weather coming in that would drop the temperature well below freezing.

The world we live in folks. Puts basketball in perspective
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

"Y'all Quaeda" is such a great hashtag. As is "yeehawdists".

Imagine if 150 armed Muslims took hold of U.S. government property. The entire planet would be on alert. These guys are homegrown terrorists, period.

Comment

Comment

http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womeninth...-ruqia-hassan/

Comment

Wait, I thought illegally occupying public spaces while armed was patriotic? It was when the former Attorney General of the United States did it....

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            "Y'all Quaeda" is such a great hashtag. As is "yeehawdists".

Imagine if 150 armed Muslims took hold of U.S. government property. The entire planet would be on alert. These guys are homegrown terrorists, period.
            There are social implications to these events and just keeping it to internal US issues one should consider the comparative of eg. members of the black community (and if we take at face value the reasoning of this group about being marginalized and hard done by their Federal govt. re property rights and constitutional interpretations) who might band together with arms and say take over a police station to make a point about police brutality(topical these days). I think we all know how that event would end....and probably within 24 hours at the outside.

In my view, regardless of the circumstances and the beefs, this is plain and simple an armed insurrection. They are armed and are on US federal property which belongs to all taxpayers. If anyone has paid any attention to the history and plight of blacks in the US I would think they might have a wee bit bigger beef with police and federal authorities regarding their civil rights being trampled on never mind being beaten & killed in history even during peaceful protest.

These guys need to stand in line with many many other aggrieved parties about how their federal govt. conducts business...not take up arms and takeover federal property on fear of violence. This cannot be. Go thru the court system.

This story goes a bit deeper. And in order to understand some of the motivations...follow the Bundy family back story. You can find some of it here....

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...bundy-militia/

Irony: This particular wildlife preserve was championed (over 100 years ago) by President Theodore Roosevelt apparently a great environmentalist for the preservation of wildlife species. He was also a Republican. Today, that brand of politics hardly acknowledges the word "environment" and a testimony of how far right the pendulum has swung on so many issues.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
              This story goes a bit deeper. And in order to understand some of the motivations...follow the Bundy family back story. You can find some of it here....

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...bundy-militia/
              Yeah, I also find it funny that they are "fighting" to keep the government out of their lives, yet they have borrowed over $500k for their business through a government "guaranteed" loan program for people who don't qualify through bank loans.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                Yeah, I also find it funny that they are "fighting" to keep the government out of their lives, yet they have borrowed over $500k for their business through a government "guaranteed" loan program for people who don't qualify through bank loans.
                And they need to rely on the government's postal service to deliver the snacks, lol

Comment

Is guantanamo prison still open?

Comment

#OccupyMalheur.

Comment

The Hammonds are (smartly) distancing themselves from this Yall Qaeda "support".

Comment

And when Obama suggests making it tougher for crazy people to get guns, these are the types that get all pissed off ... surprise surprise.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                          And when Obama suggests making it tougher for crazy people to get guns, these are the types that get all pissed off ... surprise surprise.
                          http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/21/politi...oll-americans/

Yep, just the crazy 52% of Americans..... silly people who believe in their constitutional rights. Everyone knows civil rights are only for the right kinds of people.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

Yep, just the crazy 52% of Americans..... silly people who believe in their constitutional rights. Everyone knows civil rights are only for the right kinds of people.
                            Ensuring safe regulations are in place for those guns, isn't unconstitutional.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

And Constitutions haven't been amended in the past to accommodate changing world views and societal norms?

And by "crazy", I meant (very callously I admit) those who have been diagnosed as mentally unstable. Right now, depending on how you go about it, ANYONE can get a semi-automatic assault rifle in the States. Legally. Its ridiculous and completely unconscionable.

You disagree with closing loopholes that allow people diagnosed as mentally unstable to get guns?

Comment

Working...
                              X