Announcement

Collapse

Raptors Republic Android & iOS App

Hey guys and gals,

We're running a, how should I say, pilot or beta version of our new Raptors Republic app. We haven't made it official as we're still trying to work out some bugs while improving the user interface. So, its not the final version so expect to see more changes over the next while.

Anyhow, please feel free to download. Available on both Android & iPhone. It's absolutely free.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rsrepublic.app

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6946?ls=1&mt=8

If we could ask a favour though. We're welcoming feedback and suggestions on perhaps things you'd like to see. At the end of the day we're doing this for you guys by making everything here easier available for you the user. Please send your feedback (Regardless if its positive or negative) to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and we hope you guys enjoy the application.
See more
See less

The Car Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Car Thread

    Well, after living and working downtown for the last 10 years, and having no need for a car (but using the super handy Zipcar when needed), I am finally taking the plunge and buying a car ... new contract with work has me commuting to Mississauga everyday .. not too happy about having to spent all that precious time on the 401, but alas, I'm reserved to my fate.

    That all said, wondering if anyone has any tips for a first time car buyer? What actually goes into buying a car besides talking to a sleezy salesmen and driving off the lot? Like the logistics/legal bullcrap. Insurance obviously. Stickers?
    Last edited by Joey; Thu Oct 13th, 2016, 11:06 PM.

  • #2
    You're going to need insurance and registration for sure.

    If you want to get the best deal possible you should consider buying a vehicle that's a year or two old but with low milage. Look at "certified used" which is offered by most major dealers now I think.

    One question, is the job a permanent gig or are you a contractor? If you're essentially self employed you might want to consider a lease.

    Comment


    • #3
      For me, step one is text my brother-in-law who works sales for Honda; step two pick up new Honda.

      New car comes with temporary registration, so you can deal with that once you have the car. Insurance you will need, shop around a bit, if you have a good broker already all the better.

      Lease is a cheaper option and allows you to get into newer vehicles more often but it means never really owning the vehicle unless you make the big payout at the end. We leased one of our cars until a year ago when we moved into a newer car by financing to try and keep one (or less) car payments moving forward.

      What kind of car are you thinking of?
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

      If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

      Comment


      • #4

        Comment


        • #5
          rocwell wrote: View Post
          I'd imagine this is a low emission option unless Joey ate beans the day of.

          Comment


          • #6
            Axel wrote: View Post
            For me, step one is text my brother-in-law who works sales for Honda; step two pick up new Honda.

            New car comes with temporary registration, so you can deal with that once you have the car. Insurance you will need, shop around a bit, if you have a good broker already all the better.

            Lease is a cheaper option and allows you to get into newer vehicles more often but it means never really owning the vehicle unless you make the big payout at the end. We leased one of our cars until a year ago when we moved into a newer car by financing to try and keep one (or less) car payments moving forward.

            What kind of car are you thinking of?
            Lease is very beneficial if he's in business on his own. That's the scenario I recommend leasing.

            Comment


            • #7
              If you're buying new, there's a service called CarCostCanada that allegedly shows you dealer invoice pricing. The intention is to use it as a negotiation tool since you know exactly what the dealer pays for the car (so you can meet the price somewhere in the middle). It also shows you incentives, rebates, promotions that the manufacturer is currently offering, that may/may not be advertised.

              I used it 6 years ago when I last bought a new car. I ended up with a $2000 discount and a few extras thrown in. I can't say for certain I wouldn't have received those benefits without the CarCostCanada report, but something to consider nonetheless.

              Comment


              • #8
                Buying a car is one of those decisions where there are tons of info out there helping you to compare different models/features/prices quickly and easily. Biggest thing to do is to figure out what it is you need, then what you want and go from there.

                Fuel Efficiency?


                Comfort?


                Features?


                Performance?
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Axel wrote: View Post
                  Buying a car is one of those decisions where there are tons of info out there helping you to compare different models/features/prices quickly and easily. Biggest thing to do is to figure out what it is you need, then what you want and go from there.

                  Fuel Efficiency?
                  Put it in 'H'
                  Last edited by Nilanka; Fri Oct 14th, 2016, 12:30 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm actually getting bored of my daily driver. Really want to get into the "hot hatch" segment. The Golf R is really appealing to me.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      I'm actually getting bored of my daily driver. Really want to get into the "hot hatch" segment. The Golf R is really appealing to me.

                      Don't waste your time. I have a ride for sale right now:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Joey wrote: View Post
                        Well, after living and working downtown for the last 10 years, and having no need for a car (but using the super handy Zipcar when needed), I am finally taking the plunge and buying a car ... new contract with work has me commuting to Mississauga everyday .. not too happy about having to spent all that precious time on the 401, but alas, I'm reserved to my fate.

                        That all said, wondering if anyone has any tips for a first time car buyer? What actually goes into buying a car besides talking to a sleezy salesmen and driving off the lot? Like the logistics/legal bullcrap. Insurance obviously. Stickers?
                        Ah the magic of the car...

                        What other thing can you buy for thousands of dollars and over a period of 5 years watch that investment go down in value by 80% or more guaranteed even when you maintain it dilgently...

                        Leasing will keep you in a newer car and lighten your yearly maintenance costs as your going to give the car back in two or three years time before the serious repair bills start to roll in ... if you deceide to lease one and you drive a lot be sure that the lease allows for the kilometer-age your going to put on the car as exceeding the lease terms on kilometers allowed is punitive. 10 cents a kilomter doesn't sound like much until you multiply 10 cents by 8 or 10 thousand kilometers and your paying them to just to give it back. The dealer will also be the sole determinant of whats excessive wear and tear and you could also have to pay them to make the vehicle meet that standard. Then you get to do it all over again if you still need a car ...

                        If you decided to buy one instead of lease.... .buy a certified "used" car. The day you drive a brand spanking new one off the dealers property its valuation drops by 20%. Ouch. But now you now can drive that thing as far as you want without penalty. A two year old used car with about 35 or 40K on it is generally 30-35% less than a brand new one and still carries a bit of warranty on it... You should get about 12 to 18 months of maintenance free ride out of it (not counting oil changes and brakes) before the first big repair bill bites you in the ass...You will eventually pay off the car loan and its yours... on going costs after that are maintenance and insurance...

                        Insurance is what it is... it depends on how old you are and where you live... kathy wynne has upped the plates to a yearly grab of 120 bucks a year instead of 75 i remember it to be not 4 or 5 years ago...

                        On which make n model you buy its totally up to you as everyone is different on what they like... on this thread alone you have votes for Honda's and Volkswagen's...

                        Good luck...
                        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Oct 14th, 2016, 04:17 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          We buy used, and aim for about 4 years old - there tends to be a drop off in price there, you just have to shop around for a car that has less than, say, 70k clicks on it. Our 2006 Elantra has held out without any major repairs since we bought it in 2010. We don't put a lot of miles on it, but still.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Haha Awesome. Some great feedback in here. Speed holes are a must.

                            I think I'm leaning toward a VW GTi, but am seeing that I can get 0.00% financing on a 2016 model .. so might go new, just for that. Warranty is always nice as well.
                            Really like the Golf R, but its a little out of my price range, and I like the 2-door hatch configuration of the Golf, and you can't get the R in the 2-door. But my goodness does that car look awesomely fun.

                            Leasing is also something I'm looking at, because my placement at this particular office will likely be done in about 2 years, but I figure I'll need a car beyond then as well, so might as well just bite the bullet now and take advantage of a pretty good deal?

                            Buddy of mine is a mechanic, who teaches autoshop in Highschool, but he's not too good with all the new Chinese Computer Components they put into cars, so he's telling me go 2002 or older, so he can actually work on it. Cars that old, with that many miles, just make me think about all the costs of repairs and replacement parts.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Joey wrote: View Post
                              Haha Awesome. Some great feedback in here. Speed holes are a must.

                              I think I'm leaning toward a VW GTi, but am seeing that I can get 0.00% financing on a 2016 model .. so might go new, just for that. Warranty is always nice as well.
                              Really like the Golf R, but its a little out of my price range, and I like the 2-door hatch configuration of the Golf, and you can't get the R in the 2-door. But my goodness does that car look awesomely fun.

                              Leasing is also something I'm looking at, because my placement at this particular office will likely be done in about 2 years, but I figure I'll need a car beyond then as well, so might as well just bite the bullet now and take advantage of a pretty good deal?

                              Buddy of mine is a mechanic, who teaches autoshop in Highschool, but he's not too good with all the new Chinese Computer Components they put into cars, so he's telling me go 2002 or older, so he can actually work on it. Cars that old, with that many miles, just make me think about all the costs of repairs and replacement parts.
                              Be careful that 0.0% financing isn't 0.0% APR financing - APR stands for above prime rate, so you'll be paying prime interest on the loan.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X