Announcement

Collapse

Raptors Republic Android & iOS App

Hey guys and gals,

We're running a, how should I say, pilot or beta version of our new Raptors Republic app. We haven't made it official as we're still trying to work out some bugs while improving the user interface. So, its not the final version so expect to see more changes over the next while.

Anyhow, please feel free to download. Available on both Android & iPhone. It's absolutely free.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rsrepublic.app

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6946?ls=1&mt=8

If we could ask a favour though. We're welcoming feedback and suggestions on perhaps things you'd like to see. At the end of the day we're doing this for you guys by making everything here easier available for you the user. Please send your feedback (Regardless if its positive or negative) to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and we hope you guys enjoy the application.
See more
See less

Tech Talk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Any audiophiles in the group? Looking for a good set of wireless headphones that has great bass.

Best ones I've come across so far are the Skullcandy Crushers, but I'm hesitating at spending $200. I've never spent more than $40 for headphones, lol.

Did you get yourself a new pair?

This post is about my personal discovery of sound enhancement I have come upon quite accidentally actually. The Dolby Atmos App .... which has transformed my cheap Sony headphones from it's previous quite pedestrian stereo output to that of a spatial 7.1 surround sound experience pumped into my head. In a word I am quite stunned ... but then again I have never been much of an audiophile.

I am sure many may have come across this already. My "accident"? .... just got myself a replacement laptop (Lenovo) with Win 10 and preload of Dolby Atmos intro/invite to download the app. Gamers will like this immersive sound system .... but as I understand it Lenovo, Microsoft Win10 and Dolby have collaborated to introduce this into the laptop/XBox world.

I had to download the app thru an automated process, no troubles with a couple of settings changes to my headphones in the audio devices area of Win10. And away I went. Some of the vids Dolby presented (eg Tomb Raider etc) were amazing I thought. I then found a few music youtube vids done with the Dolby process and "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen was the best I had ever heard. There isn't much but I have to assume this will increase.

So, I am working with a trial download, free for 30 days... and $19 for a buy. I suppose I am going to have to consider a nice pair of hdphones as well However paradoxically I wonder if an upgrade of earphones would be more than just a marginal improvement now with the Dolby s/w enhancement.

One more item... since the Xbox is involved, there is hdmi connectivity with the xbox and/or to a sound system/sound bar with hdmi. Have not followed this trail yet.

Give it a try if you haven't already.
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?”

J.M. Keynes

Comment

I ended up going with the Skullcandy Crushers, AND the Jabra Move Wireless. The latter I reserve for the gym.

I actually prefer the sound of the Jabra. The artificial bass on the Skullcandy is a bit much, but thankfully there's a slider to control the level of rumble.

But that Dolby App sounds interesting. I'll check it out!

Comment

I had a chance to listen thru a Cowin set ... wasnt bad and quite comfy w/bluetooth/overears/noise elim.. I gave them as a gift at xmas ...around $80 at Amazon.

J.M. Keynes

Comment

A Jenga playing robot developed at MIT...

J.M. Keynes

Comment

OK, so my 10 year old son wants to become a youtuber gamer, and as his tech-support dad, I'm wondering if anybody has an experience with that, especially capture boxes and stuff. We're a Linux family, so no windows, macs or iphones in the house, only linux, android and various gaming consoles.

Anybody have any experience streaming or recording gameplay with consoles and/or Linux or Android?

Comment

Also, video cameras that can serve as a webcam as well as a portable camera, that are not too expensive and easy to use? Suggestions?

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
                Also, video cameras that can serve as a webcam as well as a portable camera, that are not too expensive and easy to use? Suggestions?
                Sorry I cannot offer anything substantive in terms of "how to" since I am neither a Linux user nor dabbler in the video arts! However I occasionally get ad mailings from an outfit called FactoryDirect ( https://www.factorydirect.ca/ ) ... they tend to have sales of electronic equip on the cheap (over runs). I have seen video stuff/cameras etc. They have a string of locs in the GTA and some other towns. Check them out.

J.M. Keynes

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks a folding phone is kind of stupid? Plus you're like 1/4 of the way to $10,000 to buy one (tax in).

I can buy a pretty badass PC on that budget.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Am I the only one who thinks a folding phone is kind of stupid? Plus you're like 1/4 of the way to $10,000 to buy one (tax in).

I can buy a pretty badass PC on that budget.
                    Crazy. Overload. Now a status symbol product I think. I can see boardroom meetings with someone plunking down one of these babies on the table, opening it up and then ...taking in the ooohs

J.M. Keynes

Comment

Working...
                    X