X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo
    started a topic Tech Talk

Tech Talk

Feel free to post anything tech in here. I'll kick this off with a new purchase I just made. So I have a Samsung S8 and I've had it for almost a year now. I've been ignoring a cool feature with Samsung's newer phones, especially the S8 due to its amazing screen: Virtual Reality.

I purchased a Gear VR headset with remote and this is my first foray into VR. It's blown me away that this basic lense headset plus my phone can produce such an amazing experience. It's difficult to explain how real some of the experiences feel with this thing on and a set of earbuds in. If you have a newer Samsung phone I highly recommend getting Gear VR. It's about $100 on Amazon for the headset.

Last night I took a trip to the international space station. Went on a roller coaster. Jumped out of a chopper. Snowboarded down a mountain. Followed Negan through a zombie invasion at his base.

Tonight Samsung is showing the Knicks Vs. the Lakers in VR. Unfortunately I'm gonna miss it but I'm going to do my best to take in a quarter at least.
    Last edited by Apollo; Sat Jan 20th, 2018, 08:43 AM.

• Joey
    replied
    The only foldable I would accept at this point is classic:
    Image result for motorola razr

Ya, so I caved and got the new Apple Airpods (hate the name, obviously should have been Airbuds, but I guess maybe Disney has the Trademark on that?) and I gotta say ... they're sooo typically Apple, in the best way possible. The convenience of them is just crazy, and build quality is unmatched. And despite alot of the criticism I heard around their sound quality (most notably lacking bass), I've noticed no such thing - I think they sound fantastic. And it's amazing because you literally don't even notice you're wearing them. I'll leave them in sometimes with no music playing just because I forget to take them out. Lol

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks a folding phone is kind of stupid? Plus you're like 1/4 of the way to $10,000 to buy one (tax in).

I can buy a pretty badass PC on that budget.
    Crazy. Overload. Now a status symbol product I think. I can see boardroom meetings with someone plunking down one of these babies on the table, opening it up and then ...taking in the ooohs

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Am I the only one who thinks a folding phone is kind of stupid? Plus you're like 1/4 of the way to $10,000 to buy one (tax in).

I can buy a pretty badass PC on that budget.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Quirk wrote: View Post
    Also, video cameras that can serve as a webcam as well as a portable camera, that are not too expensive and easy to use? Suggestions?
    Sorry I cannot offer anything substantive in terms of "how to" since I am neither a Linux user nor dabbler in the video arts! However I occasionally get ad mailings from an outfit called FactoryDirect ( https://www.factorydirect.ca/ ) ... they tend to have sales of electronic equip on the cheap (over runs). I have seen video stuff/cameras etc. They have a string of locs in the GTA and some other towns. Check them out.

Leave a comment:

• Quirk
    replied
    Also, video cameras that can serve as a webcam as well as a portable camera, that are not too expensive and easy to use? Suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• Quirk
    replied
    OK, so my 10 year old son wants to become a youtuber gamer, and as his tech-support dad, I'm wondering if anybody has an experience with that, especially capture boxes and stuff. We're a Linux family, so no windows, macs or iphones in the house, only linux, android and various gaming consoles.

Anybody have any experience streaming or recording gameplay with consoles and/or Linux or Android?

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    A Jenga playing robot developed at MIT...

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    I had a chance to listen thru a Cowin set ... wasnt bad and quite comfy w/bluetooth/overears/noise elim.. I gave them as a gift at xmas ...around $80 at Amazon.

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    I ended up going with the Skullcandy Crushers, AND the Jabra Move Wireless. The latter I reserve for the gym.

I actually prefer the sound of the Jabra. The artificial bass on the Skullcandy is a bit much, but thankfully there's a slider to control the level of rumble.

But that Dolby App sounds interesting. I'll check it out!

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Any audiophiles in the group? Looking for a good set of wireless headphones that has great bass.

Best ones I've come across so far are the Skullcandy Crushers, but I'm hesitating at spending $200. I've never spent more than $40 for headphones, lol.

Did you get yourself a new pair?

This post is about my personal discovery of sound enhancement I have come upon quite accidentally actually. The Dolby Atmos App .... which has transformed my cheap Sony headphones from it's previous quite pedestrian stereo output to that of a spatial 7.1 surround sound experience pumped into my head. In a word I am quite stunned ... but then again I have never been much of an audiophile.

I am sure many may have come across this already. My "accident"? .... just got myself a replacement laptop (Lenovo) with Win 10 and preload of Dolby Atmos intro/invite to download the app. Gamers will like this immersive sound system .... but as I understand it Lenovo, Microsoft Win10 and Dolby have collaborated to introduce this into the laptop/XBox world.

I had to download the app thru an automated process, no troubles with a couple of settings changes to my headphones in the audio devices area of Win10. And away I went. Some of the vids Dolby presented (eg Tomb Raider etc) were amazing I thought. I then found a few music youtube vids done with the Dolby process and "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen was the best I had ever heard. There isn't much but I have to assume this will increase.

So, I am working with a trial download, free for 30 days... and $19 for a buy. I suppose I am going to have to consider a nice pair of hdphones as well However paradoxically I wonder if an upgrade of earphones would be more than just a marginal improvement now with the Dolby s/w enhancement.

One more item... since the Xbox is involved, there is hdmi connectivity with the xbox and/or to a sound system/sound bar with hdmi. Have not followed this trail yet.

Give it a try if you haven't already.

Leave a comment:

• NoPropsneeded
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    No microSD card slot?
    Google never puts microSD slots in their phones. They're trynna push google drive cloud storage, plus the lowest you can get is 64 GB which is quite a bit

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Switched to the pixel 3 XL last month from the Nexus 6P (lasted me 3 years). Very solid phone, amazing camera, great screen, stereo speakers, and operates very smoothly as expected from a stock android device. Only gripe would be the 4GB of memory and the battery life, which is still great (lasts about a full day), but could be much better
    No microSD card slot?

Leave a comment:

• NoPropsneeded
    replied
    Switched to the pixel 3 XL last month from the Nexus 6P (lasted me 3 years). Very solid phone, amazing camera, great screen, stereo speakers, and operates very smoothly as expected from a stock android device. Only gripe would be the 4GB of memory and the battery life, which is still great (lasts about a full day), but could be much better

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    A fascinating 10 minute vid talk explaining/comparing a quantum computer to the binary one we use today.... and the application possibilities.

https://www.ted.com/talks/shohini_gh...the_week_image

Leave a comment:

Working...
X