The Video Game Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post

I thought Microsoft said they were done making new consoles.
    I don't know. They're coming out with a digital only Xbone soon. If they plan on not launching a new hardware console in the next year or so then they're probably going to lose to Sony in a big way unless they plan on leveraging xCloud for greater experiences on their current tech and gamers sign up for that. Personally I don't want my gaming to always depend on an internet connection even though I have good internet.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post

I thought Microsoft said they were done making new consoles.
      Microsoft is all in on consoles and it has been reported everywhere. Not only are they coming out with a digital only cheap option soon. In 2020 they are coming out with 2 consoles. A very affordable console and another premium console they claim will be the most powerful of the next generation similar to the X. Microsoft is all about choice and pro consumer moves for gamers these days. I love play anywhere, love cross play, love game pass (cheapest way to game these days with a great library already which continues to grow). They are now all in on first party adding 7 new studios last year and all first party games come out day one on game pass which you will be able to play from any device soon with streaming. And then there is xcloud. Really can't beat that ecosystem. Microsoft is going global looking to reach billions of gamers with a subscription model similar to netflix and spotify. Sony has resisted to this point and is only now revealing plans to follow suit and trying to catch up the the ground work microsoft has been putting in the past couple years.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Last edited by Machine; Wed Mar 13th, 2019, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• Machine wrote: View Post
        Microsoft is all in on consoles and it has been reported everywhere. Not only are they coming out with a digital only cheap option soon. In 2020 they are coming out with 2 consoles. A very affordable console and another premium console they claim will be the most powerful of the next generation similar to the X. Microsoft is all about choice and pro consumer moves for gamers these days. I love play anywhere, love cross play, love game pass (cheapest way to game these days with a great library already which continues to grow). They are now all in on first party adding 7 new studios last year and all first party games come out day one on game pass which you will be able to play from any device soon with streaming. And then there is xcloud. Really can't beat that ecosystem.

This is something a lot of companies in entertainment businesses could learn from. Microsoft tried to shove things down gamers' throats that they did not want and as a result greatly lost because of it. They learned from that, made changes and are climbing back. Good on them but they have a long way to go in order to catch Sony and Nintendo for that matter.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
          This is something a lot of companies in entertainment businesses could learn from. Microsoft tried to shove things down gamers' throats that they did not want and as a result greatly lost because of it. They learned from that, made changes and are climbing back. Good on them but they have a long way to go in order to catch Sony and Nintendo for that matter.
          Yeah. The thing is, the whole industry is about to change. It is not about winning with hardware anymore. Hardware is only an option and a fraction of the user base companies are trying to reach. Microsoft still plans to give the best hardware experience for people that prefer console like myself but its all about choice. Console exclusives won't exist next generation. It will be all about reaching people on every device just like with movies, TV and music.

What Im curious to see is how google plans to make its mark in this space. They announced their intention to reveal their plans soon.

Last edited by Machine; Wed Mar 13th, 2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, they're all doing that now already. One can surmise that Sony and Nintendo will continue to invest and improve in those areas. Sony is the first big player to jump in deep and carve out a place in the market but they need to improve their tech to lower latency. I won't touch streaming gaming until it reaches the point of being as responsive as traditional gaming is. Project xCloud interests me a great deal for what it may bring to the table in terms of gaming on Nintendo Switch. Playing brand new AAA Xbox games with no latency on Switch would be amazing, I love gaming away from the TV.

Edit: I also home Valve gets in the game because the PC has some exclusive experiences that can be enjoyed with a controller. For example, I've been messing around with Project Zomboid this week. It looks simple at first but its deep, challenging and very entertaining.
            Last edited by Apollo; Wed Mar 13th, 2019, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Yeah, they're all doing that now already. One can surmise that Sony and Nintendo will continue to invest and improve in those areas. Sony is the first big player to jump in deep and carve out a place in the market but they need to improve their tech to lower latency. I won't touch streaming gaming until it reaches the point of being as responsive as traditional gaming is. Project xCloud interests me a great deal for what it may bring to the table in terms of gaming on Nintendo Switch. Playing brand new AAA Xbox games with no latency on Switch would be amazing, I love gaming away from the TV.

Edit: I also home Valve gets in the game because the PC has some exclusive experiences that can be enjoyed with a controller. For example, I've been messing around with Project Zomboid this week. It looks simple at first but its deep, challenging and very entertaining.
              I believe it has come out that the rumor about game pass coming to switch is false. But you will be able to play game pass on your phone, ipad or pc with or without an xbox controller. Microsoft is revamping their PC store this year and it will be revealed at E3 along with game pass expansion to PC.

Comment

I believe it has come out that the rumor about game pass coming to switch is false. But you will be able to play game pass on your phone, ipad or pc with or without an xbox controller. Microsoft is revamping their PC store this year and it will be revealed at E3 along with game pass expansion to PC.

That's too bad but if it comes to PC and Android it can will probably hit Switch by virtue of jailbreaking the console and installing Android or Windows 10.

Comment

That's too bad but if it comes to PC and Android it can will probably hit Switch by virtue of jailbreaking the console and installing Android or Windows 10.
                  Probably. Switch fans will love that then but personally if I had the choice I'd rather play on the go with my phone or tablet and a proper controller rather than the switch handheld controls depending on the game of course. Either way, that is the great thing about the future of gaming. Choice and options for everyone.

Comment

• Yeah, not me. The Switch is an amazing little console. The joycons are far superior to mobile touch controls. It also has controller support so mobile has no edge there either.

Comment

Yeah, not me. The Switch is an amazing little console. The joycons are far superior to mobile touch controls. It also has controller support so mobile has no edge there either.
                      I agree joycons are much more preferable to touch controls but xbox controller def trumps the switch controller for me. Don't feel Im playing any game to my full potential on switch which is why I mostly just play all the great nintendo exclusives on it and they usually don't require a good controller anyway. But Im also someone who prefers to play on a TV in general. Being able to use a proper controller on screens I bring with me anyway just gives me more options on the go which I wouldn't normally bother with.

Comment

• Just so you know, you can use an Xbox controller with the Switch.

I've never taken my Switch out of the house. I use it for gaming in bed and when taking care of business. I either read, watch a video or play a game before I go to sleep. Its perfect for that, I view it as a casual gaming device with full on console gaming available with it. My favorite games on it so far that I've played is NBA 2K19, Dark Souls Remastered & Zelda. Two of those three I can play on my PC or PS4 but I prefer the Switch when it comes to multiplat games where performance won't be an issue. To each his own.

Comment

Just so you know, you can use an Xbox controller with the Switch.

I've never taken my Switch out of the house. I use it for gaming in bed and when taking care of business. I either read, watch a video or play a game before I go to sleep. Its perfect for that, I view it as a casual gaming device with full on console gaming available with it. My favorite games on it so far that I've played is NBA 2K19, Dark Souls Remastered & Zelda. Two of those three I can play on my PC or PS4 but I prefer the Switch when it comes to multiplat games where performance won't be an issue. To each his own.
                          Hmm that is very interesting. I did not know I could use the xbox controller with the switch. Will have to try that. Zelda is great for sure and if you haven't played Mario vs. Rabbids Kingdom Battle you should def check it out. Was one of my favs also.

Comment

• The timing of this conversation lol

Microsoft announced today that full xbox live is coming to android and ios. That is fuckin amazing honestly.

Xbox Live is now expanding from around 400 million Xbox and PC gaming devices with 68 million active players to more than two billion devices in the future.

While Sony and Nintendo are content with console sales. Microsoft has been preparing to dominate the market. Just wait till game pass hits every device along with xbox live.
                            Last edited by Machine; Thu Mar 14th, 2019, 12:00 PM.

Comment

The timing of this conversation lol

Microsoft announced today that full xbox live is coming to android and ios. That is fuckin amazing honestly.

Xbox Live is now expanding from around 400 million Xbox and PC gaming devices with 68 million active players to more than two billion devices in the future.
                              Is it streaming or are they porting a bunch of low spec games?

Comment

Is it streaming or are they porting a bunch of low spec games?
                                Streaming for the big games for sure but mobile games will now a part of the xbox live ecosystem as well and likely a part of game pass. Its going to be massive.

Comment

Working...
                                X